rams request permission to speak to green bay qb coach for oc

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Pointing out this relationship means I love Josh Freeman???
Ehh no...but I've noticed that the majority of the QB's you support and would like to bring in aren't very good at passing the ball. Mostly run first guys who haven't had alot of success reading defenses and making decisions.
Vince Young, Terrell Pryor, Nick Marshall, Josh Freeman just to name a few. Yuck!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
@Memphis Ram I trust and respect your judgement on the draft and young talent but I disagree with this particular QB "infatuation" for lack of a better term :)

Memphis Ram

Legend
Ehh no...but I've noticed that the majority of the QB's you support and would like to bring in aren't very good at passing the ball. Mostly run first guys who haven't had alot of success reading defenses and making decisions.
Vince Young, Terrell Pryor, Nick Marshall, Josh Freeman just to name a few. Yuck!

Actually, I didn't support Josh Freeman (which was my point). But, I wouldn't mind seeing him get another chance as he did throw 25 TD passes vs. 6 INTs in 2010. And 27 TDs vs. 17 INTs in 2012 (Which is something Bradford hasn't even done, btw).

Young, Pryor, Marshall? I guess I strongly agree with Mike Holmgren who says that backup QBs should be able to do something with their feet given the limited amount of reps they get during the week/season.

That said, unlike yourself and others, I'm not tied down to this traditional QB model which calls for this quality traditional drop back passer that perhaps 1/3 of the league typically gets to have at one time. Due to this scarcity of talent, I'm open to new ideas in regards to scoring (see Auburn post) as I've watched questionable passers like McNair, McNabb, Vick, and Kaepernick have success in this league. All it takes is a creative mind.

BTW, most young QBs entering the league struggle to read defenses, initially.

Last edited:

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Do the packers still run the west coast offense? I'm thinking Bradford would be productive running that again.
Yes, but these days almost all ofenses have been mushed together. The man difference in WCO, Weiss-Earhart, and Coryell (3-digit) is terminology. Teams run the same plays as each other. Shotty uses Coryell terminology but the 3-digits are mostly gone. WCO calls routes by names but now they run routes in "concepts" like matching a slant with an out, or a post with a fade and the name those cominations.

In the Martz system we had "Twins right ace right 999 h-ballon", a similar call in the Weiss playbooks would be "Zero out all-go snow."

Same play, different terminology.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Yes, but these days almost all ofenses have been mushed together. The man difference in WCO, Weiss-Earhart, and Coryell (3-digit) is terminology. Teams run the same plays as each other. Shotty uses Coryell terminology but the 3-digits are mostly gone. WCO calls routes by names but now they run routes in "concepts" like matching a slant with an out, or a post with a fade and the name those cominations.

In the Martz system we had "Twins right ace right 999 h-ballon", a similar call in the Weiss playbooks would be "Zero out all-go snow."

Same play, different terminology.

Yeah, you rarely see a pure playbook with WC or Coryell concepts. I'm trying to think back, I think the 49ers with Marucci as HC and Garcia as QB was the last team that ran what would be deemed a traditional WC offense. Even Andy Reid who at one time ran a pretty traditional WC offense has added way more to it.

Memphis Ram

Legend
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...h-van-pelt-b99429232z1-289104011.html#packers

Rams show interest in hiring Packers QB coach Van Pelt
By Tom Silverstein of the Journal Sentinel
Jan. 19, 2015

Green Bay
— Green Bay Packers quarterback coach Alex Van Pelt's career has been on an upward trajectory for a couple of years, and it probably won't be long before he's an offensive coordinator somewhere.

But the chances of it happening with another team this year aren't very good, even though he is drawing interest from at least one team.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported Monday that the St. Louis Rams had asked for permission to interview Van Pelt for their open offensive coordinator's position. They need to ask permission because Van Pelt is under contract with the Packers through next year.

It's almost a certainty that coach Mike McCarthy will deny Van Pelt permission to interview with another team because of Van Pelt's value to the coaching staff. After coaching running backs for two seasons, one of which he spent overseeing Eddie Lacy during his rookie season, Van Pelt became quarterbacks coach and helpedAaron Rodgers have one of his best seasons.

Van Pelt will have to decide if he wants to sign an extension for 2016 or let his deal expire after 2015 so he can pursue other options.

Meanwhile, offensive coordinator Tom Clements may be receiving some interest from the Cleveland Browns. The Cleveland Plain Dealer quoted a source that Clements is on the Browns' radar for their open offensive coordinator position.

The only difference for Clements moving laterally would be that he would be able to call plays in Cleveland.

lockdnram21

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Actually, I didn't support Josh Freeman (which was my point). But, I wouldn't mind seeing him get another chance as he did throw 25 TD passes vs. 6 INTs in 2010. And 27 TDs vs. 17 INTs in 2012 (Which is something Bradford hasn't even done, btw).

Young, Pryor, Marshall? I guess I strongly agree with Mike Holmgren who says that backup QBs should be able to do something with their feet given the limited amount of reps they get during the week/season.

That said, unlike yourself and others, I'm not tied down to this traditional QB model which calls for this quality traditional drop back passer that perhaps 1/3 of the league typically gets to have at one time. Due to this scarcity of talent, I'm open to new ideas in regards to scoring (see Auburn post) as I've watched questionable passers like McNair, McNabb, Vick, and Kaepernick have success in this league. All it takes is a creative mind.

BTW, most young QBs entering the league struggle to read defenses, initially.
Bingo. I might be in minority but I would give Freeman a chance just like we gave Britt a chance but only if we get van pelt