Rams reportedly seeking $30M/year stadium naming rights deal

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
im no marketing expert but I dont really see why anyone would want to pay so much for this. are there really people out there that spend money on a company simply because their name is on a stadium? i really dont get it

I think it's a subliminal thing. With some prestige thrown in.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Why not open it up to Rams fans, we all chip in a few quid each and we get tonnage it "Field of Dreams" or "Stadium of Hope" or even the "Please, lets make this a winning season, because I'm really fed up of having and offseason full of hope and expectation for it to be torn out of me and trampled over by week two Stadium"

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm sure whatever they end up calling it, it will sound cool like...AECOM Technology Corporation Stadium. Cha Ching!

Long gone are the days when sports arenas and stadiums had names with character.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If the Rams are asking that much, they have a justifiable reason.

It could be 2 team's and twice the name exposure on Sundays.

It could be, as others suggested, advertising on the roof and visible by aircraft.

It's likely all that, plus the fact this is going to be an advertising district. TV headquarters for the NFL / NFL Network. Office park and shopping, etc.

We've probably studied the name exposure rate vs other venues and that's the "why".

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
Kinda like :

1. Lincoln Financial Field - Philadelphia Eagles

lincolnfinancial.jpg

A friend of mine who is an avid Philadelphia Eagles fan insists that Lincoln Financial Field actually has a "game day prison" for drunk or violent fans inside the stadium. Need I say more? While I have no proof that such a place exists, GQ Magazine recently voted Philadelphia sports fans as the worst fan base in the United States. The article states that Philadelphia fans once booed Santa Claus and cheered when Michael Irvin of the Dallas Cowboys suffered his career ending neck injury. Ouch. That's pretty harsh. In fact, if you watch the movie 'Invincible' starring Mark Wahlberg, you will be able to see an accurate portrayal of Philadelphia Eagles fans.

Their passion, however, is a small reason the Philadelphia Phillies have been able to succeed over the years. Only should thick-skinned fans of any team venture into this nightmare of a stadium.
I've been at the old Veterans Stadium and the current Lincoln Financial and I know the old Veterans stadium had the jail from what I have been told by local news outlets.
I've been to all 3 stadiums, Eagles / Phillies / Flyers and never seen anything horrible. I guess maybe I've been lucky.
The last Eagles / Rams game though, on the way out after the game a kid was tossing peanut shells in the back of a Rams fans hoodie, and the kids dad didn't say or do anything.

okraiders.jpg

There are a few other NFL stadiums that deserve at least an honorable mention. The 'Black Hole' in Oakland's O.co Coliseum is no cake walk. The venue as a whole has been rather tame since 2002. Metlife Stadium in New York also houses some rowdy fans who cheer loud for their New York Jets and New York Giants and aren't overly welcoming to visitors by any means.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
its articles like this that now make rams fans wish there wasnt a salary cap.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
its articles like this that now make rams fans wish there wasnt a salary cap.

Probably some, but not me.

The NFL, with all its flaws, at least has an equal competitive playing field. Take that away... oh boy.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
A friend of mine who is an avid Philadelphia Eagles fan insists that Lincoln Financial Field actually has a "game day prison" for drunk or violent fans inside the stadium.

They do have a judge and holding cell. They did in the old stadium too. Eagles fans are violent, you can jump on YouTube and see plenty of videos. The fans there are the worst according to pretty much every opposing fan that visits and any poll or article.

im no marketing expert but I dont really see why anyone would want to pay so much for this. are there really people out there that spend money on a company simply because their name is on a stadium? i really dont get it

It's "branding" and nothing else. And generally the type of marketing that cannot be measured always falls under branding and nothing is more nebulous. Marketing types think it's smart to attach a company name to something prestigous, or new, or trendy because then people will assume the company is helping or involved. Most of us aren't that stupid.

With some prestige thrown in.

That's a really big part of it. And executuves get great perks too.

Long gone are the days when sports arenas and stadiums had names with character.

I was thinking that as I was reading this thread and BOOM there you said it.......I was wondering what happened to the days of Cleveland Municipal Stadium and names like that. LA Colosseum.......what happened??? Oh yeah. Greed.

It could be 2 team's and twice the name exposure on Sundays.

That's the only reason they are asking that much. If there was only one team they wouldn't even dream of asking for it and then have the embarrassment of taking a less. The article mentioned nationally televised games. I suppose he hasn't seen the Chargers or Rams play LOL.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm sure whatever they end up calling it, it will sound cool like...AECOM Technology Corporation Stadium. Cha Ching!

I would really like it IF they Just said " To hell with selling the Naming rights" They New Stadium will be Called 'Deacon Jones' or 'Merlin Olsen' Memorial Stadium!! Or ' Fearsome-Foursome' Stadium! ( To heck with anything Charger related!)