Rams report: Scuffle between Joyner and Pettis highlights feisty workout/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams report: Scuffle between Joyner and Pettis highlights feisty workout
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_73b5f7c7-ef92-5136-bbc0-0e6bba4b91f6.html

With the heat and humidity back to normal August levels, the Rams went through a spirited and somewhat contentious workout before a crowd of 1,003 Monday afternoon at Rams Park.

Rookie defensive back Lamarcus Joyner, just back after tweaking a groin muscle in last week's special-teams workout, drew the ire of veterans Kenny Britt and Austin Pettis, with a number of teammates needed to break up the Joyner/Pettis scuffle.

“We're competing. That's brotherhood out there,'' the second-round draft choice from Florida State said. “We're not playing for paychecks out here, we're playing for championships.''

Rookie Greg Reid, who played alongside Joyner at Florida State, had a couple of big hits during Monday's workout. Reid also closed out the practice in style, stepping front of fellow rookie Austin Franklin to pick off off a Garrett Gilbert pass.

“We're both just passionate players,'' Joyner said.

Reid, signed as a free agent in March after missing the 2013 season with a knee injury, closed out the practice in style when he stepped in front of fellow rookie Austin Franklin to pick off a pass from rookie Garrett Gilbert.

Joyner, the projected starter at the nickel back spot, was just happy to be practicing again after a few days off.

“It felt like I was out for a year,'' Joyner kidded. “Ask guys like Greg Reid, who's been out for two years; I can only imagine his pain. I was only out three days and I felt like I was suffering.

“Today, I was just excited to be back on the football field, to be around my teammates and just have fun.''

The other big hits of the day came at the end of Zac Stacy runs. On the first, Stacy put a pretty good hit on safety Rodney McLeod. But McLeod returned the favor later in practice.

The offensive highlights Monday included at least three passes from veteran quarterback Shaun Hill to rookie free agent tight end Alex Bayer.

Fort Zumwalt West and Mizzou product T.J. Moe also made a couple of nice catches Monday.

RAM-BLINGS

The Rams, who host the New Orleans Saints in the preseason opener for both clubs Friday at 7 p.m. at the Edward Jones Dome, will hold their final open-to-the-public workout today beginning at 5:30 p.m.

• Linebacker James Laurinaitis (ankle) and defensive tackle Michael Brockers (ankle) were at the top of Monday's did-not-practice list. Others sitting out were receiver Brian Quick, guard Rodger Saffold, defensive tackle Kendall Langford, cornerback Janoris Jenkins, cornerback Brandon McGee, linebacker Pat Schiller, center/guard Barrett Jones, guard Brandon Washington, running back Trey Watts and fullback Kadeem Jones.

• On the flip side, safety Christian Bryant took part in his practice as a Ram. A seventh-round draft choice from Ohio State, Bryant had his college career ended last fall when he suffered a fractured ankle late in the Buckeyes' victory over Wisconsin.

• Former Rams receiver Mark Clayton watched Monday's practice and liked what he saw of the squad's receiving corps. Clayton, in town on business, has a company (LIVV) that's producing high-tech headphones. Production will begin in October.

• High school coaches on the sideline Monday included Fort Zumwalt South, Timberland and Warrenton.

(Jim Thomas of the Post-Dispatch contributed to this report.)