Rams report: Saffold will start ahead of Robinson at LG/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams report: Saffold will start ahead of Robinson at left guard
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_3c490c87-5dc0-5c1a-9d19-6a864c99dded.html

Following practice Wednesday at Rams Park, coach Jeff Fisher confirmed what many suspected: that Rodger Saffold will start ahead of Greg Robinson, the No. 2 overall pick in May's draft, when the Rams take on the Minnesota Vikings to open the season noon Sunday at the Edward Jones Dome.

“We made the decision for the opener that we're better off going with experience,'' Fisher said. “Doesn't necessarily mean (Robinson) won't play in the game, but we're going to go with guys who have a lot of snaps under their belts.''

That means a veteran line of Jake Long at left tackle, Saffold at left guard, Scott Wells at center, Davin Joseph at right guard and Joe Barksdale at right tackle.

“I feel good about the guys we're going to play with,'' Fisher said. “They've been practicing together now for a couple of weeks and so I have no concern there. And I feel good about our depth as well.''

And Robinson?

“He's doing a good job,'' the coach said. “He's playing guard, he's playing tackle. He's doing both in practice, he's done it all through preseason and he's gotten better each week.''

When asked if learning two positions has hurt the 21-year-old Robinson, Fisher answered emphatically.

“Nothing hurts him at all. It does not hurt him at all,'' Fisher said. “I was told that Orlando Pace, the first player taken in the draft, didn't play until Week 5. There's no issue here, (Robinson) is going to be an outstanding player.

“Our focus right now is to put the guys on the field we think can give us the best chance to win right now.''

Pace, by the way, didn't sign with the Rams until after a three-week contract holdout.

Robinson, who starred at Auburn, started three of the Rams' four preseason contests.

RAM-BLINGS

The first injury report of the season included four players who were limited T Jake Long (knee), DE William Hayes (chest), Jo-Lonn Dunbar (shoulder) and DE Eugene Sims (knee). Two other players, CB Trumaine Johnson (knee) and center Barrett Jones (back), did not participate and are still weeks away from playing.

For the Vikings, LB Brandon Watts (knee), LB Michael Mauti (foot) and fullback Zach Line (ankle) did not participate and T Mike Harris (shoulder) was limited. CB Jabari Price (shoulder) and WR Rodney Smith (neck) were full participants at practice.

• Austin Pettis switched from No. 18 to No. 12 during Wednesday's practice as a show of support for fellow receiver Stedman Bailey, who is serving a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing drugs.

• The Rams have made a change on the practice squad, waiving safety Matt Daniels and adding tight end Brad Smelley. Daniels, a third-year pro from Duke, had both his 2012 and 2013 seasons ended by injuries and was slowed in camp with a concussion. Smelley, an Alabama product, was with the Rams for just a few days last year and was added to the camp roster on Aug. 11. He had four catches for 46 yards during the preseason.

• Defensive lineman Ethan Westbrooks, the undrafted free agent from West Texas A&M who won a spot on the 53-man roster by finishing among the team leaders with 12 tackles and two sacks in the preseason, has switched from No. 62 to No. 93.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Hope Joseph plays good and back to his former self.

RamzFanz

Damnit
"Austin Pettis switched from No. 18 to No. 12 during Wednesday's practice as a show of support for fellow receiver Stedman Bailey, who is serving a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing drugs."

Pettis was selling him weed. I knew it!

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Don't worry, if they play Saffold on the left side he won't make it to the second quarter and Robinson will play there the rest of the year.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I'm excited to see whether or not Westbrooks even dresses for this game. I guess it depends on the status of Sims and Hayes.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I'm more concerned about Long playing and Saffold moving to tackle to play for him! You know they'll likely do that instead of putting Person out there!

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
When was the last time we had someone of Robinson's caliber waiting in the wings. A good problem to have.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
When Wells goes out, Saffold will fill in there thus playing every position on the oline within the past 2 years. And GRob will play LG.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Lets just hope everyone stays healthy. I think everyone has chimed in with there take on this. I am feeling optimistic that the OL has The football gods on there side this year.:X3:

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Meh.... not worried about him starting... we do have a guy named Robert Quinn who didn't start and I think he's panned out rather well, Wouldn't you gentlemen say?

PhxRam

Don't worry, if they play Saffold on the left side he won't make it to the second quarter and Robinson will play there the rest of the year.

Almost sounds like that is something you are hoping to see.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rams' Robinson won't start season opener

Nate Latsch

http://stl.scout.com/2/1441655.html

ST. LOUIS — Rams rookie offensive lineman Greg Robinson, the No. 2 overall pick in the 2014 draft, will not start the season opener, coach Jeff Fisher said on Wednesday.
Robinson, who played left tackle the past two seasons at Auburn, worked with the Rams’ No. 1 unit as the left guard throughout OTAs and early on in training camp. The 6-foot-5, 332-pounder started the team’s first two preseason games at left guard and allowed a sack in each game.

When the Rams played at Cleveland in their third preseason game, Rodger Saffold started at left guard in place of Robinson and veteran Davin Joseph started at right guard. Robinson served as a reserve at left guard and left tackle later against the Browns and then played both spots in the final preseason game against the Dolphins when the Rams held out their offensive and defensive starters.

“He’s doing a good job,” Fisher said of Robinson. “He’s playing guard, he’s playing tackle. He’s doing both in practice. He’s doing them all through preseason and he’s gotten better each week. We made the decision that in the opener that we’re better off going with experience. Doesn’t mean to say that he won’t play in the game, but we’re going to go with guys that have a lot of snaps under their belt right now.”

The Rams’ starting offensive line will have Jake Long at left tackle, Saffold at left guard, Scott Wells at center, Joseph at right guard and Joe Barksdale at right tackle.

Saffold began the 2013 season as the Rams’ right tackle, after the team signed Long in the offseason, and then played right guard after returning from an injury before shifting to left tackle when Long suffered a season-ending ACL injury.

Fisher was asked Wednesday following practice if Robinson playing both left tackle and left guard this preseason hurt him in the short term while attempting to make the transition to left guard.

“Nothing hurts him at all,” Fisher said. “It does not hurt him at all. I was told Orlando Pace, first player in the (1997) draft, didn’t play till Week 5. There’s no issue here. He’s going to be an outstanding player. Our focus right now is putting the guys on the field that we think gives us our best chance to win right now.”

The Rams selected Robinson, 21, with the No. 2 overall pick with the intention of playing him at left guard this season before eventually moving him to one of the tackle spots. That plan still could come together, but the big rookie will have to wait at least a little bit to get his first NFL start.

St. Louis could have gone in different directions with that first-round pick, including taking a different offensive lineman (Jake Matthews of Texas A&M) or a wide receiver (Sammy Watkins of Clemson).

Some draft analysts considered Matthews, who went to the Falcons at No. 6, as the safer choice.

Russ Lande of GM Jr. Scouting said before the draft that he thought Matthews made more sense for the Rams than Robinson because Matthews had played both left and right tackle at Texas A&M and could play either side in St. Louis, depending on whether Long had recovered from his knee injury in time to start the season opener.

“I think Robinson, young guy, less experience, as a rookie he would probably have more difficulties jumping back and forth between the two positions (left and right tackle) just because he’s a younger kid who doesn’t have the experience of playing both sides,” said Lande, a former NFL scout. “So for this year, to me, it makes more sense to take Matthews but I think they are both very good prospects. I think Matthews is the safer choice, but I think they both have a chance to be outstanding football players.”

Another former NFL scout, Dan Shonka of Ourlads’ NFL Scouting Services, also preferred Matthews over Robinson as the best offensive tackle prospect in the draft.

“Greg Robinson is a big, massive man that has a lot to learn in pass pro,” Shonka said. “If you ever watch him he’s a waist-bender. He lunges. He does a lot of things technically that are not good and he’s going to get killed in the NFL early. Now, a few years down the road he might be OK. But there might not be a few years for certain teams, certain people down the road like coaches. You don’t have that much time to spend with these guys. In the old days, you could go out and work technique. Now you only have so many hours. They only have so many in college. The more you can have a guy ready to go, the better off your NFL coaches are that are coaching him.”

There’s still plenty of time for Robinson to fulfill the potential that the Rams saw in him when they made the Auburn product their choice with the No. 2 overall pick, but with a premium selection like that there will also be plenty of second-guessing if players like Matthews or Watkins turn out to be more impactful NFL players.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Not happy about Saffold going to LG. He played great at RG and stayed healthy. He has already been hurt playing LG. I think they should keep him at RG.

dan kimbro

UDFA
Name
bluto
He got his leg rolled up on that can happen anywhere on the line. He got the stinger in his shoulder when he was at lg. I dont care which side he plays as long as he stays healthy.