Rams report: Fisher hopes Saffold can bounce back quickly again/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams report: Fisher hopes Saffold can bounce back quickly again
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_21e7e4f6-8b34-52e3-a7f9-3e05032100b9.html

Talking strictly about football, Rams coach Jeff Fisher couldn't help gushing just a little bit more about the team's 52-0 rout of the visiting Oakland Raiders on Sunday.

“It was as good a four quarters we played in all three phases, I think, since we've been here,'' Fisher said Monday while meeting with the media at Rams Park. “You know, the turnovers, the sacks, the big plays, five touchdowns on the first five possessions of the game. We played very, very well. Really pleased for them. Again, as we said, the difficulty that we dealt with in San Diego surely proved that this young football team can overcome those things.''

Fisher said that guard Rodger Saffold, who left the game in the third quarter with a shoulder injury, was “day to day.''

“I think I mentioned, it was really similar to what happened three or four weeks ago and fortunately, he was able to come back in short period of time,'' the coach said.

Fisher also said that defensive end Chris Long came through the game fine. In his first action since undergoing ankle surgery following the opening-week loss to Minnesota, Long had six total tackles, including a pair for loss, to go along with two quarterback hurries, a sack and a fumble recovery.

“He's a little sore; we'll probably rest him Wednesday,'' Fisher said. “But he was really excited. He'll be the first to tell you he's not 100 percent yet, but he really had a blast playing. It was great to get him back.''

The 5-7 Rams travel to Washington D.C. Sunday to take on the 3-9 Redskins.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I sure would hope that Saffold does not injure that shoulder any worse. I see no reason to risk Saffold having further injury against the Washington Redskins. I would just prefer that he is rested & gets some time of therphy on that shoulder so he could play better against the AZ Cards. We need to have Saffold ready to play against the cards.

If Saffold is hurting too bad to play then Mike Person will get his first NFL start since he was drafted by the 9ers in 2011. Person first dressed game came when he was with the Seahawks last season. Person has been active & dressed in uni for all 12 Ram games this season. With a ailing Saffold we may see a new OL call up from street clothes. Either Brandon Washington or Barrett Jones.

I would prefer Barrett Jones myself. Barrett Jones has dressed for 5 Ram regular season games. Jones did get some heavy action in the KC loss when Wells went out with a elbow injury in the second half. Tim Barnes has been out several weeks before that with shoulder injury. How many here would like to see if Jones could play OLG next to Robinson? I know I sure want to see it. Even though Barrett has most of his college experience @ ORG, in my opinion he would be much better @ the OLG post than the right OG in the NFL. In addition we know that in Boudreau OL operations the OLG & our OC worked close together when line upped. Boudreau has seen a lot of Person @ OLG this season & he certainly has a good feel for what he can do for this team in the future. On the other hand the highly accommodated college resume of Barrett Jones tells us nothing about him two yrs removed from the NCAA & after two surgeries (Foot 2013 & Back 2014) .

We know that Boudreau demands that his reserve OL'ers be able to play multiple OL positions. Example was the massive ex Viking & Panther Travis Bond who show'd in pre season that he could only play one post ORG & was released even though he looked better than anyone else the Rams had playing @ ORG. We know Barrett can play OC in the NFL now lets see if he can do it @ OLG. If Snead & Fisher knows that Barrett could hold his own or even perform better than expected starting @ OLG ...that information would come in handy in this upcoming 2015 draft would it not?

Brandon Washington has been dressed for only one Ram regular season game & that was last yr in the last game with Seattle when he replaced Chris Williams @ OLG in the lineup in the 2nd half. IMO BW best NFL post is @ OLG. BW plays the left side much better than the right . I would think that Jones is way ahead of Washington @ this point on the OL depth chart.

V3

Hall of Fame
Has anyone in the media asked Fisher why our team doctors didn't find the shoulder issue that Oakland did? It was obviously legit.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Fisher also said that defensive end Chris Long came through the game fine. In his first action since undergoing ankle surgery following the opening-week loss to Minnesota, Long had six total tackles, including a pair for loss, to go along with two quarterback hurries, a sack and a fumble recovery.

“He's a little sore; we'll probably rest him Wednesday,'' Fisher said. “But he was really excited. He'll be the first to tell you he's not 100 percent yet, but he really had a blast playing. It was great to get him back.''
I'm am a Huge Fan of Chris's, It was Great seeing him Back in their! If he's not 100% now, God help our opponents in the weeks to come!!:giggle::D ( I only say God, because no one else will be able to!):p