Rams Report: Fisher expects Bradford to Play at Least a Quarter/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams report: Fisher expects Bradford to play at least a quarter vs. Packers
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_5617daed-3669-5d4f-96f7-a7de14085024.html

Quarterback Sam Bradford will see his first game action Saturday when the Rams take on the Green Bay Packers Saturday at 3 p.m. at the Edward Jones Dome.

“We're going to play him a quarter, maybe more,'' Rams coach Jeff Fisher said following Thursday's training game session at Rams Park in Earth City. The practice drew 369 fans.

Bradford, who has looked strong in camp, hasn't played since going down with a knee injury Oct. 20 against the Carolina Panthers.

Fisher expects cornerbacks Trumaine Johnson and Brandon McGee to play after sitting out the preseason opener against New Orleans. He's no so sure about starting corner Janoris Jenkins, who returned to practice Thursday after missing a week and a half with a sore hamstring.

Fisher also said that left tackle Jake Long, coming off knee surgery, would not play until next weekend in Cleveland.

As expected, the Rams put a heavy emphasis on the run game during Thursday's workout. Some key pass plays during practice included a 25-yarder down the right sideline from Bradford to Brian Quick and a well-placed pass down the middle from Bradford to tight end Lance Kendricks.

In the same “team'' session, safety Rodney McLeod nearly picked off a Bradford pass intended for Quick and rookie free agent defensive end Ethan Westbrooks batted down an Austin Davis pass at the line of scrimmage.

During a field goal drill, rookie offensive linemen Demetrius Rhaney went down with a knee injury and was carted off. Fisher didn't think it was serious but the Tennessee State product will get an MRI.

In a later “team'' session, Bradford hooked up with Quick on a pass to the outside but then overthrows Kendricks on a pass picked off by McLeod. Tight end Brad Smelley showed some nice hands, coming down with a Shaun Hill pass in traffic.

Late in the practice, wideout Emory Blake came down with Garrett Gilbert pass between defenders Cody Davis and Marcus Roberson.

RAM-BLINGS

Longtime NFL quarterback Jeff Blake was at practice Thursday, getting a look at his son, receiver Emory. The elder Blake still looks like he's in playing shape and said he still throws passes to Emory and nephews, but wants no part of getting hit anymore.

Jeff Blake, who also made a trip to watch the Rams in OTAs, spent 13 seasons in the NFL. He enjoyed his most success with Cincinnati, earning a Pro Bowl berth in 1995.

Emory Blake, who was on the practice squad a year ago, has looked good in camp and was among the Rams' leading receivers against New Orleans with three catches for 41 yards.

“I think he's finally starting to feel comfortable,'' Jeff Blake said. “And once that happens, you can just go out and play football.''

• Former Rams tight end Ernie Conwell was also on hand Thursday.

• The Rams are down to two open-to-the-public workouts _ 3:30 p.m. Tuesday and 3:30 p.m. Wednesday.

• Demand is up slightly for Rams' tickets on the secondary market according to StubHub. The Rams are 24th in sales this year after ranking 29th a year ago. The hottest tickets for Rams' home games are Sept. 21 against the Dallas Cowboys and Nov. 16 against the Denver Broncos.

On the road, the biggest demand is the Nov. 2 contest at San Francisco.

A few other StubHub tidbits: Dallas is the top-selling team overall and for home games. The top-selling road squad is San Francisco.

The top-selling single game is the Sept. 7 contest featuring the 49ers at the Cowboys.

(Jim Thomas of the Post-Dispatch contributed to this report.)

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rams Day 15 Camp Report

Nate Latsch

http://stl.scout.com/2/1434150.html?

ST. LOUIS — The Rams got some good news Thursday with the return of cornerback Janoris Jenkins to the practice field after dealing with a recent hamstring injury and may have escaped injury to rookie offensive lineman Demetrius Rhaney.
Rhaney, one of the Rams’ seventh-round picks, was injured while blocking during a field goal session late in practice and had to be taken off the field on a cart. But Rams coach Jeff Fisher said after practice that the injury wasn’t as serious as it may have looked at first.

“All indications right now are preliminary that Demetrius is going to be OK, which is encouraging,” Fisher said. “We’ll have to do an MRI but it looks like the interior of the knee is good, so that’s good news.”

Rhaney has been working as the Rams’ third-string center recently, behind Scott Wells and Tim Barnes, because Barrett Jones is still out with an undisclosed injury. After Rhaney went down on Thursday, the Rams used Mike Person as the third-string center.

• Fisher said that left tackle Jake Long would not make his preseason debut on Saturday against the Packers.

“I’m going to wait another week for Jake,” he said. “Jake’s doing a great job out here, but we’re going to wait another week for Jake and that’ll be the case with a couple other guys.

• Defensive tackle Kendall Langford and running back Isaiah Pead got some good work at practice. Offensive lineman Rodger Saffold and defensive end William Hayes both remain out with injuries but did get some work on the side.

• Among the players who remained out of action because of injuries were middle linebacker James Laurinaitis, defensive tackle Michael Brockers, offensive linemen Jones and Brandon Washington, safety Matt Daniels, cornerback Darren Woodard and fullback Kadeem Jones.

• Fisher announced that quarterback Sam Bradford would play at least one quarter on Saturday against Green Bay.

“Well, we’re going to play him a quarter maybe a little bit more and (look) for him to continue doing the same things he’s doing out here, push the ball down the field,” Fisher said. “It’s an opportunity to work against someone else and work with our receivers that he’s been working very well with right now. ”

Bradford had some nice throws during 11-on-11 work on Thursday, including a toss down the seam to Lance Kendricks and a strong throw to Brian Quick along the right sideline. He also had an overthrown ball that Rodney McLeod intercepted.

• Wide receiver Emory Blake’s father, former NFL quarterback Jeff Blake, was among the onlookers on Thursday. The younger Blake had one of the highlights of the day when he hauled in a touchdown pass while being double-covered.

• Backup quarterback Shaun Hill had nice connections with Stedman Bailey and newly signed tight end Brad Smelley.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Amazing recovery for Jake Long..wow...we had some doubts on his week 1 or possibly later status not long ago. While Fisher straight up says we'll see him vs Browns next week. :rockon:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Really looking forward to seeing some offensive starters this weekend.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Amazing recovery for Jake Long..wow...we had some doubts on his week 1 or possibly later status not long ago. While Fisher straight up says we'll see him vs Browns next week. :rockon:

I never had any doubts about Long being ready for the start of the season. Rehab has come a long way.

Irish

Starter
Please let Bradford open it up. 3-4 WR sets, lots of shotgun, air the ball out. I don't care if that is not the offense, plant the seed early that Bradford is dangerous.

Hurry up/no huddle scripted first series. God I am excited for Saturday.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Bold over a quarter. I wanna see it but not too much too soon

Yeah, I'm kind of hoping we defer, and kickoff to start the game. That way Sam's time is a little shorter. I'd feel better about him playing a full quarter if Wells, Long and Saffold were playing.

RamBill

Legend
  • Jeff Fisher: “We’re Going to Play Sam Bradford a Quarter” He addressed the media regarding today’s practice, Sam Bradford’s availability and game planning for Green Bay.

Watch Fisher Post Practice Comments

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Good. He's healed and ready to get back into game form.

Any injury that he might get in tomorrow's game would be separate from his knee injury from last year. I'm confident that he will be just fine.

Ozoneranger

Rookie
I hate pre-season games. Ever since Trent Green (I was devastated. Numb). Or maybe going back even earlier- 1990 or so when in the finale when the Rams lost two starting corners when they collided in the EZ.

I mean, if colleges can play at a high level coming out of the gate with no practice games, why can't the NFL? Furthermore, preparation is virtually year round...

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I wish Jake Long was playing I would feel a whole lot better about him playing a whole Quarter with him in there protecting bradfords blindside against clay matthews.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah, I'm kind of hoping we defer, and kickoff to start the game. That way Sam's time is a little shorter. I'd feel better about him playing a full quarter if Wells, Long and Saffold were playing.
What is the starting O-Line for Saturday ?

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
What is the starting O-Line for Saturday ?

CoachO would have a better answer for you. But if I were going to guess, and all those guys sat, my guess would be Person, Robinson, Barnes, Joseph, Barksdale. I hope Wells can play. Not sure if he's been written off yet.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
CoachO would have a better answer for you. But if I were going to guess, and all those guys sat, my guess would be Person, Robinson, Barnes, Joseph, Barksdale. I hope Wells can play. Not sure if he's been written off yet.
Who started last week at LT ? Did Pearson play guard ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I wish Jake Long was playing I would feel a whole lot better about him playing a whole Quarter with him in there protecting bradfords blindside against clay matthews.
What side of the ball does Clay mainly play ?? Isn't Juilus Peppers at RDE/LBer.I think Clay is a OLB,but is more like a LDE sort of like Kevin Greene was back in the day.Funny how he is his coach.

RamBill

Legend
Fisher reveals Saturday plan for Bradford
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/10551/fisher-reveals-saturday-plan-for-bradford

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Rams coach Jeff Fisher announced right after his team's preseason opener against the Saints that quarterback Sam Bradford would play this week against the Packers.

Fisher was asked again the day after he said it, and he confirmed it again. He was asked again Monday and confirmed it again. But Fisher didn't share how much Bradford will play Saturday until Thursday evening.

“Well, we’re going to play him a quarter, maybe a little bit more," Fisher said. "And [we're looking] for him to continue doing the same things he’s doing out here. Push the ball down the field, it’s an opportunity to work against someone else and work with our receivers that he’s been working very well with right now.”

Earlier this week, Bradford made it clear he's eager to return to a game for the first time since suffering a torn left anterior cruciate ligament in October of last year. He mentioned that he's not as concerned with taking a hit as he is excited for other people to see that he's going to be fine.

Bradford has taken every rep with the first-team offense in training camp, and aside from usual soreness, he says he hasn't had any setbacks along the way. Fisher agreed with Bradford and made it clear he has no concerns about his quarterback taking a hit or playing in his first game since the injury.

“No, none what’ ‘so’ ‘ever, he’s healthy," Fisher said. "He’s our starting quarterback, and he’s healthy. He’s going to play in a preseason game, that’s it.”

In his first two years in St. Louis, Fisher has shown a preference for gradually building his starters' playing time throughout the preseason. So it stands to reason if Bradford plays about a quarter against the Packers, he'll play a bit more against Cleveland next week and then even a little more in the exhibition finale against Miami.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Who started last week at LT ? Did Pearson play guard ?

I think it was Person at tackle last week. Then they shift Robinson to tackle at some point. I'm not sure if Person played any guard. CoachO said in his other thread that he believes Person would start at LT this week as well. But they shift all guys around. Barnes plays guard and center. Robinson plays guard and tackle. Person can play guard too. Just not sure if he did last week.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think it was Person at tackle last week. Then they shift Robinson to tackle at some point. I'm not sure if Person played any guard. CoachO said in his other thread that he believes Person would start at LT this week as well. But they shift all guys around. Barnes plays guard and center. Robinson plays guard and tackle. Person can play guard too. Just not sure if he did last week.
Thanks for feedback,but dude please get it right.
I'm PRACTICE Person might be the back up LT.That is PRACTICE.During the last 2 games Robinson has started at LT !! Person is the starting LG during the game.That is because of injury.
Did you catch one of Coach O's report about Person working at center ?? I think he might make it ahead of Barnes.(my crazy thought).What is up with Barret Jones ??An unreported injury.Does he go on PUP ? Then Barnes idea is really crazy.The thing is is you want the Offensive Line to be enter changeable.Person playing center makes him real valuable,because he can play all the OLine positions.

Coach O' also told me That 6'9 guy is the backup RT..There is no way Saffold does not slide over to RT & not have Joseph playing RG if Barksdale gets hurt....I hope we don't have to find that out,but there is the enter changeable thing again.
If Jake Long is hurt it is Robinson playing LT & Joseph playing LG.

I respect Coach O & what he see's on the practice field,but it is getting your best players on the field that counts.It's nice to have a All/Pro as backup.