Rams remain interested in Mikell

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Jim Thomas
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-still-interested-in-re-signing-mikell/article_7a24213c-959e-5081-ac65-63a47340b219.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... 0b219.html</a>

CP3EdVB.jpg

Some way, somehow, Jeff Fisher would like to have strong safety Quintin Mikell back on the roster in 2013. But at this point in the offseason, less than two weeks into the free agency period, there’s no guarantee that will happen.

“We have interest,” Fisher said at the NFL owners’ meetings. “He played very well for us last year.”

With his base salary scheduled to jump to $6 million from $1 million in 2013, releasing Mikell almost was a necessity at the start of the free agency.

“It’s just one of those things that you have to do once you get in the process (of free agency) and you start making moves,” Fisher said. “But we have interest. The defensive staff was really happy with him last year.”

Basically, the Rams needed to make sure they had enough salary-cap room when it became apparent that they’d have a chance to sign tight end Jared Cook and offensive tackle Jake Long in free agency.

The Rams tried to restructure Mikell’s contract, which had two years remaining, before releasing him.

“Things didn’t work out,’’ Fisher said. “We got in a hurry. We needed the space.”

The number of safeties remaining on the free-agent market is dwindling almost by the day.

One of the best still available, former Oakland Raider Michael Huff, has not heard from the Rams.

With limited cap space, the Rams simply might not have enough money to sign a safety in free agency.

Besides, the team could be targeting a backup offensive guard with some of its remaining cap room to replace departed center/guard Robert Turner. Turner signed a one-year, $1.5 million deal with Tennessee.

So the Rams almost certainly will take a safety — maybe two — in the NFL draft. Otherwise, they have Darian Stewart, Rodney McLeod and Matthew Daniels on the roster at the position. After having scant playing time in 2012, Stewart could step back into the starting role he had in 2011 when he started 13 games.

McLeod in particular also could compete for playing time.

“I wouldn’t have any problem with playing Rodney,” Fisher said. “Matt didn’t get the experience. First and foremost for Matt, he’s gonna have to rehab and get back, and then compete.”

Daniels played in only four games last season, and was placed on the injured reserve list Nov. 7 because of a knee injury.

As for McLeod, “I really trust Rodney,” Fisher continued. “And the same thing with Darian. It’s Darian’s opportunity now to step up and take charge of that position.”

McLeod, like Daniels, was signed as an undrafted rookie last year.

McLeod played on special teams all season but got close to getting on the field on defense in certain packages late in the year when cornerback Cortland Finnegan was banged up.

“We were comfortable with Rodney at the nickel spot, so had ‘Cort’ not been able to finish, Rodney would’ve been our third corner,” Fisher said. “So he’s got the versatility to play safety and the third corner spot.”

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I thought the "Q" played pretty well last year.

I'm glad to here the Rams still have some interest in signing him.

Although, I'm not sure they will be able to do it. We may have to just fill that need via the draft.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Rambitious1 said:
I thought the "Q" played pretty well last year.

I'm glad to here the Rams still have some interest in signing him.

Although, I'm not sure they will be able to do it. We may have to just fill that need via the draft.

Same here.

I hope it can get worked out. Safety feels like "need to draft" position (more than one) if we don't add one via FA.

If we get Mikell back, then the draft feels like an open book for BPA.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I think even more interesting here is the talk about Rodney Mcleod. I thought he was a fucking beast for the Rams last year. On ST especially but he had his moments on the field as well.

I'm all for bringing Mikell back too btw. He was a solid player last year for sure.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Username said:
[hil]I think even more interesting here is the talk about Rodney Mcleod[/hil]. I thought he was a fucking beast for the Rams last year. On ST especially but he had his moments on the field as well.

I'm all for bringing Mikell back too btw. He was a solid player last year for sure.
images

He seemed to get the ^^^^