Rams release chris long jared cook and jl55

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
John Clayton says that "The media was more shocked by the release of Cook than Long and Laurinaitis."
Farr "They must not have TV's."
:rolllaugh:
Its obvious that the Sports Media does not visit this great Rams Forum. If they had they would have gotten heads up on these three releases & ahead of the rest weeks ago.

This previous post posted back on Jan 20th 2016.
http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/5-players-the-rams-must-move-on-from-in-2016.42609/#post-700580

RamBill

Legend
Former Rams’ LB James Laurinaitis trying to move on
by Vincent Bonsignore

http://www.insidesocal.com/nfl/2016/02/22/715/

James Laurinaitis reported to work at the Rams practice facility in Earth City, Missouri on Friday expecting just a typical day in the weight room. But shortly into his work out, the Rams weight training coach told Laurinaitis that head coach Jeff Fisher wanted to see him in his office.

As Laurinaitis told Bruce Murray and Rich Gannon on their SiriusXM The Blitz show on Monday, that’s when he realized Friday was going to be anything but a normal day at the office.

“It was actually at that moment I thought, ‘huh, maybe I’m getting released'” Laurinaitis said. “And I went up there, and that was that.”

Unfortunately for Laurinaitis “that was that” turned out to be Fisher telling the Rams All-Time leading tackler they were releasing him after seven productive seasons in St. Louis and just prior to them officially making the move to Los Angeles.

Fisher thanked Laurinaitis for everything he’d done for the Rams and explained how they were moving Alec Ogletree to the Mike linebacker position to replace him. Fisher also informed Laurinaitis the Rams were releasing defensive end Chris Long and tight end Jared Cook as well.

Just like that, Laurinaitis was out of a job.

To say he was shocked as he left Fisher’s office is an understatement.

“And basically from there you’re just trying to digest it all,” Laurinaitis said. “You’re saying goodbye to your position coach and everyone in the building and all the weight room staff and the trainers and the guys in the equipment room.

“And then you’re packing your locker, putting everything boxes, and taking some jerseys and a couple of helmets and you’re done. That’s it. And then you’re calling your wife. I wanted to make sure I called her before it got in the public.”

For a couple that was in the process of finding a new place to live in Los Angeles, it was all pretty sudden.

“We went from wondering where we were going to live in L.A. to now wondering where we’re going to live period,” Laurinaitis said.

Three days later, Laurinaitis is beginning the process of picking up the pieces. The good news is, his agent tells him a number of teams have called expressing interest in adding him to their team. And with NFL executives and agents meeting this week at the Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, it’s probably just a matter of time before Laurinaitis lands a new gig.

After the initial shock wore off, he’s actually looking forward to what his future holds. And in retrospect, the Rams did him a favor releasing him now so he can get a head start on free agency.

“It’s exciting for us to be able to sit back and take our time and really think about a squad that can make a run at a trophy and getting into that process,” Laurinaitis said.

The decision where to sign is dependent on a number of factors, but it sounds like Laurinaitis wants to win.

“It’s where can I fit in. Who needs a middle linebacker. Who has a good chance and a good quarterback and an offense that can put some points up?’ Laurinaitis explained “And where do you want to go?

It’s the first time since college, really, I get the chance to ask myself ‘where do you really want to play?’ So it’ll be fun to sit back and think about the big picture a little bit.”

As Laurinaitis explained, weather and location will play very little role.

“I’m open to anything, I really am. I’m open to going anywhere. I’m just going to train and get an idea of who wants me and figure out what works best and where I want to go. Do I get along with the coach and fit the scheme and finding someone to help get you to the Super Bowl. So it’s just try to go through the checklist.”

As for his former team, Laurinaitis sees the same thing everyone else does: The Rams are on the cusp of something special. But they need to figure out who their quarterback is before they can take that next step.

“Who’s going to play the quarterback position?” Laurinaitis said. “Is (Nick) Foles going to come back and play at a higher level, like he did in Philadelphia? Is that just sort of a change of scenery, change of systems type fluke?

“Is Case Keenum going to be the guy, or is it someone else? They have to figure those things out. But I’m confident that they’re going to get things figure out.”

Until that happens, Laurinaitis worries the Rams will remain inconsistent. Much like last year when they had a chance to finish the season on a high note but fell flat against the San Francisco 49ers in the season finale.

“We had a chance to finish (on a) 4-0 (run) and then we go up to San Francisco and play a team that on paper we should have beat. The week before we went into Seattle and won, so you think you’re going to go (to San Francisco) and beat the Niners, and then we go in a lay an egg and lose in overtime.

“I think that’s just kind of been the story over the last three or four seasons. We’ll sweep Seattle and be really good in our division and then we’ll lose games that, without disrespecting teams, we’ll lose games that we should win. That’s been the problem. It’s how do you get more consistent and I think that’s just a sign of maturity. You have to get more mature.”

And of course, find a dependable quarterback.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
“It’s where can I fit in. Who needs a middle linebacker. Who has a good chance and a good quarterback and an offense that can put some points up?’ Laurinaitis explained

Pretty telling.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Holy Cr@p! I've been off the computer for a week or so do to various things and the shit has hit the fan for me - Cook I can take or leave, but Long and JL! Our team now has MASSIVE holes to fill and thats apart from QB and WR. Seriously doubt that we're going to be able to get a better DE (than Long), MLB (than JL55), better TE, better WR or better QB in this upcoming draft unless we have 6 or 7 pieces in R1 of the draft.

I'm really shocked at this decision - restructure the contracts for FFS - don't just cut them. I'm losing even more confidence right about now.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Holy Cr@p! I've been off the computer for a week or so do to various things and the crap has hit the fan for me - Cook I can take or leave, but Long and JL! Our team now has MASSIVE holes to fill and thats apart from QB and WR. Seriously doubt that we're going to be able to get a better DE (than Long), MLB (than JL55), better TE, better WR or better QB in this upcoming draft unless we have 6 or 7 pieces in R1 of the draft.

I'm really shocked at this decision - restructure the contracts for FFS - don't just cut them. I'm losing even more confidence right about now.

MASSIVE holes, shaunpinney?

Bit of an overstatement, don't you think?

All 3 players were overpaid and underperforming.

That's the blunt truth.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
“We had a chance to finish (on a) 4-0 (run) and then we go up to San Francisco and play a team that on paper we should have beat. The week before we went into Seattle and won, so you think you’re going to go (to San Francisco) and beat the Niners, and then we go in a lay an egg and lose in overtime.

This is why I don't trust sticking with Keenum as any sort of answer. If they draft a QB high then I'm ok with them letting Case keep the position warm until the kid is ready to hand it off and throw it off of play action, but that's it.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

2:10
Quote "I did the money thing"

Hilarious
Hilarious coming from a dude who has always had cash (Papa Long) now he wants a new opportunity.... Hilarious
For what? To play 5 games a year for New Orleans?
Good for you, Chris
I grew up in the barrio man in Buena Park, California and had to make my fortune the old fashion way, and there will never be a moment in my life where I say "I've done the money thing"
Classic
Thanks Chris for the memories but I'll never forget the time I spent in a one room apartment with my wife and newborn on a mattress wondering if I was ever gonna make another buck
Chris Long, why don't you retire and call some Ram games on Sunday ? That's your next opportunity

Anyway thanks -X- for posting this stuff - you and so many of my fellow Ram brothers make my life fun and I just wanna say thanks - you guys will always be Ram fans and these players will come and go

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
All the Ram yrs here & all non winning seasons all of them......bad bad memory if you ask me.

Good Luck Chris I have enjoyed your Ram career as a Ram fan(y)

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams Clean House

By Jesse Pantuosco11 hours ago

In this week's Bump and Run, Jesse Pantuosco looks at the Rams' salary purge while saying goodbye …

They say you have to crack a few eggs to make an omelette. The Rams must be cooking one heck of an omelette, because they’ve cracked plenty of eggs this offseason.

The Rams took a blowtorch to their payroll Friday by simultaneously cutting Jared Cook, James Laurinaitis and Chris Long. The triple firing was both ruthless and fiscally responsible. By shedding those salaries, the Rams are now $58.35 million under the cap. Only four teams (the Jaguars, Raiders, Bears and Giants) have more money to work with.

Of course, Friday’s roster moves were motivated by more than just money. All three players were on the decline. Cook never came close to living up to his massive five-year, $35.1 million contract. Poor quarterback play didn’t help matters, but there’s no one Cook can blame for his 19-game touchdown drought but himself. The 28-year-old will now join a crowded tight end market headlined by Antonio Gates and Dwayne Allen.

To quote Evan Silva, “Laurinaitis’ name was always bigger than his game.” Of the seven seasons Laurinaitis spent in St. Louis, 2015 was easily his worst. He earned PFF’s second lowest inside linebacker grade ahead of only Buffalo’s Preston Brown. He was particularly disastrous against the run, finishing dead last in that category.

It was time for Long to move on as well. A fan favorite for reasons like this (and also this), Long has struggled to stay healthy his last two seasons (14 missed games). Once a perennial threat for double-digit sacks, Long slumped to just three sacks in 2015. Despite his age (he turns 31 next month), the former No. 2 overall pick should draw plenty of suitors now that he’s available.

So what will the Rams do with all their savings? Addressing the team’s secondary needs would be a good place to start. Both starting cornerbacks, Trumaine Johnson and Janoris Jenkins, will hit the open market this offseason. Los Angeles should have enough cap room for both, though the Rams could opt to use the transition tag on one of them. That would allow Los Angeles to match any offer that player receives in free agency. The franchise tag probably won’t come into play. The projected salary for corners under the tag is $13.7 million. Even with over $50 million in cap space, the Rams aren’t going to spend that kind of money on a cornerback.

William Hayes is another player the Rams would like to re-sign. Hayes entered the year as Long’s backup at left end but took over as the starter in Week 7. He didn’t disappoint, registering 5.5 sacks with a pair of forced fumbles. It’s a healthy market for edge defenders with Von Miller, Olivier Vernon,Greg Hardy and Jason Pierre-Paul all looking for new contracts. Hayes turns 31 in May and probably won’t require more than a two or three-year deal.

Re-signing Hayes is on the Rams’ to-do list, but they still need a quarterback. The Rams would welcome Peyton Manning with open arms but there’s a good chance he’s played his last game. A reunion with Sam Bradford is also on the table, especially given Eagles coach Doug Pederson’s infatuation with Chase Daniel. And what about Robert Griffin III, the player the Rams could have had with the No. 2 pick they traded to Washington back in 2012? The Redskins haven’t cut him yet, but they’re going to. Ryan Fitzpatrick had arguably his best season in 2015, which is precisely why the Jets would be crazy to let him walk away. But if the Rams could somehow get their hands on him, he’d be a huge upgrade over Nick Foles and Case Keenum.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
MASSIVE holes, shaunpinney?

Bit of an overstatement, don't you think?

All 3 players were overpaid and underperforming.

That's the blunt truth.

JL55, even though he had a few bad games is still playing at a high level IMO - top 20 rated out of all LBs and 6th out of all MLBs in the league ain't a bad result for an underperforming player. And I think Long brings a maturity to our D-line and demands a lot of attention which free's up the other guys to be better - but I guess his sack rate etc has dropped off - My point was that getting a top DE, MLB, TE AND QB in this year's draft is one tall order - thats excluding trying to get ourself a legit big, deep-threat WR, I'm fed up of these 'projects'.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
And I think Long brings a maturity to our D-line and demands a lot of attention which free's up the other guys to be better
No he doesn't. 3 years ago maybe. Do you honestly think that offensive coordinators are focused on Long over Quinn, Donald, and Brockers?

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
That's Bernie the Hutt for ya. Bitter til the end.

2cd4osU.jpg

Perfect X. Although Jabba is a bit thinner don't you think?

Bitter Bernie indeed. He needs to just stop. He sounds like a petulant child.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
JL55, even though he had a few bad games is still playing at a high level IMO - top 20 rated out of all LBs and 6th out of all MLBs in the league ain't a bad result for an underperforming player. And I think Long brings a maturity to our D-line and demands a lot of attention which free's up the other guys to be better - but I guess his sack rate etc has dropped off - My point was that getting a top DE, MLB, TE AND QB in this year's draft is one tall order - thats excluding trying to get ourself a legit big, deep-threat WR, I'm fed up of these 'projects'.

You are in the distinct minority there, shaunpinney.

BTW, let's don't forget that we have $60 million+ cap dollars now to help address some of our needs. I believe that's 4th or 5th most in the league.