Rams-related Super Bowl takeaways/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams-related Super Bowl takeaways
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/15924/rams-related-super-bowl-takeaways

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- After one of the most exciting Super Bowls in league history, the New England Patriots emerged with the Lombardi Trophy after a dramatic late interception at the goal line.

For fans of the St. Louis Rams, that was only one of a handful of unfortunate takeaways from the game that brought up some bad memories.

With football over until the fall, let's take a quick spin around some of the game's events before fully moving into the offseason:

There is no doubt that Rams fans probably would have liked to see Sunday's game end in a scoreless tie. The Seattle Seahawks are an NFC West division rival and the New England Patriots are still despised in these parts for winning the 2002 Super Bowl under a cloud of suspicion that still exists here from the Spygate incident. So when beloved former Rams quarterback Kurt Warner presented the trophy to the Patriots after the game, it didn't go over too well in Rams nation. I asked my Twitter followers for thoughts on that as it was happening. I'd post a tweet or two here, but we have to keep it family friendly. It was that bad.

Obviously, the final Seattle play call will draw attention from all corners of cyberspace and beyond. I heard multiple analysts call it "the worst call in NFL history" given the situation and the stakes. I'll leave such discussions to others, but here is what surprised me about it: Seattle's M.O. is playing stout defense and relying on the power running of back Marshawn Lynch on offense. It's their identity and it isn't fancy. Even on defense, there is nothing special about what they do schematically, they just do what they do, and they do it very well. So for them to abandon that philosophy with the world championship at stake was jarring to see. And it also probably brought up some painful memories for the Rams and their fans.

Russell Wilson's interception was the only one thrown from the 1-yard line this season on 111 drop backs around the NFL, according to ESPN Stats & Info. Though it was the only interception thrown from the opponent's 1, it wasn't the only one thrown in close with the game at stake. Against San Diego on Nov. 23, Rams quarterback Shaun Hill threw an interception to Chargers defensive back Marcus Gilchrist from San Diego's 4-yard line. That play also came on second down, with enough time for the Rams to run and with a timeout remaining. A touchdown likely would've given the Rams a 31-27 win. Instead, they lost 27-24. Then-Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer took heat for that call, but Hill had an open receiver in running back Benny Cunningham and simply never saw Gilchrist. The Seahawks had Lynch and a power run ability unmatched by most teams around the league, which makes their call far more head scratching than the one the Rams went with in a similar setting. But, like with Hill, all of the blame shouldn't go to Seattle's coaching staff. Wilson made a bad decision and throw similar to Hill. The call was for a pick play, and Wilson has to be sure that his receiver comes clean before letting it go. And to New England's credit, young defensive back Malcolm Butler made a great play.

Two former Rams played for the Patriots in the game, but three will walk away with championship rings. Receiver Danny Amendola, who not so long ago was the Rams' best wideout, came up big for New England with five catches for 48 yards and a touchdown. Tight end Michael Hoomanawanui also played for the Patriots, coming up with a catch for 4 yards. One player not on the 53-man roster but who also had a cup of coffee with the Rams is quarterback Garrett Gilbert, who was on New England's practice squad.

It doesn't mean anything but in the postgame, Patriots receiver Julian Edelman began by saying "St. Louis" is a wonderful team before quickly correcting himself to Seattle.

That will do it for the actual games this season, which means we can now transition into the silly season. The Rams still need to hire an offensive coordinator, but the NFL scouting combine starts in just 16 days.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
The call was for a pick play, and Wilson has to be sure that his receiver comes clean before letting it go

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It doesn't mean anything but in the postgame, Patriots receiver Julian Edelman began by saying "St. Louis" is a wonderful team before quickly correcting himself to Seattle.
Best Line in the whole article?o_O

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I believe he does... even the Equipment Manager does, I think.

Never Mind :confused:

What is so classic is that last year two quarterbacks from my neck of the woods in the Hill Country get drafted

Johnny Manziel from Kerrville drafted #22

Garrett Gilbert from Lake Travis drafted #214

A tale of two QB's
One has a Super Bowl ring and the other is going into "treatment"

For some they would say that's karma, but for me it's all about being a really good person and trying to be as great a professional as you can.

Good for you Garrett,
IMO only redeeming aspect about that NE victory