Rams Ready to Unleash Multidimensional Tavon Austin: 101ESPN

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ShaneG

Starter
Shane Gray provides special Rams commentaries on 101sports.com. Follow him on Twitter @ShaneGmoSTLRams.

The St. Louis Rams made arguably the biggest splash of the 2013 NFL draft’s first round, boldly moving up from No. 16 to No. 8 to secure the player they perhaps coveted above all others in the draft, the diminutive Tavon Austin of the University of West Virginia – the draft’s most explosive offensive talent.

For the second consecutive season, Rams general manager Les Snead acted with conviction and aggression in pulling off a major draft-related trade, just a year after engineering the massive Robert Griffin III swap.

“We have yet to stay put with our first-round picks over the last two years,” Snead said. “It’s not something you just say we’re going to do.”

Certainly not, but Snead and company have ultimately ended up making major transactions related to round one of the last two drafts, moving down in 2012 and up Thursday night for Austin.

In listening to St. Louis head coach Jeff Fisher describe his newest offensive weapon, it is clear why the Rams valued him enough to go up and get him.

“You look at his college career and what he’s accomplished (and) the fact that he has not missed a game and the explosive plays just week after week after week,” Fisher said. “It felt like we needed a player that created the mismatch and so he helps to create that for our entire offense now.

“Clearly, there’s a lot you can do with him. He’ll start off as that slot receiver, but it doesn’t end there. There’s a lot of different things you can do with him. He can stretch the field. The 4.28 (40-yard dash) is real. That itself creates some problems. He’s got excellent hands. He’s quick out of the break. He understands and likes football. He’s going to be really fun to watch.”

Austin, who possesses both elite speed and world-class quickness,

(Hope you guys (and girls) enjoy the full piece with much more here):

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101sports.com/2013/04/27/st-louis-ready-to-unleash-multidimensional-austin/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101sports.com/2013/04/27/st- ... al-austin/</a>

jap

Legend
Re: Rams Ready to Unleash Multidimensional Tavon Austin: 101

Nice to focus on our new Little Big Man! :ww:

Tavon possesses that electric combination of elite speed & quickness that only very few have had. The first I was aware of to shock the NFL with that combo was the inimitable Gale Sayers. Barry Sanders followed, and he and Gale are generally regarded as owning the most exciting NFL highlight reel film. I like to include Marshall Faulk for his speed, his near instantaneous acceleration and jitterbug jukes, and his wide receiver hands.

Tavon appears to have inherited an amalgam of these traits. He is an RB turned mostly WR, combining natural running smarts with the instinctive savvy for self preservation any successful small RB must have. Like his three predecessors, he can stop on a dime and make even 90-degree cuts at full speed. He is smart enough to know he has to continue to build up his body, and, as Tony Softli indicated, the Rams will probably get him up to 185 pounds or so eventually to strike an ideal balance between weight & strength and speed & quickness.

Speeps

Starter

Great read! I am a fan of your work.

This Rams offense is incredibly dynamic, because of the weapons they have. I don't know any other team in the league that will be able to do what the Rams can potentially do on Offense. 6'4 Brian Quick, 6'5 Jared Cook, 6'3 Austin Pettis, 6'0 Chris Givens, 5'11 Stedman Bailey, 5'8 Tavon Austin. Oh and BTW, they have a TE named Lance Kendricks who started to come along last season. If that wasn't enough, Pead and Richardson coming from the back field who are quick and explosive. And the 40 time for those guys are flat out impressive.

That list isn't just filled with match up nightmares, it's filled with migraines for Defensive Coordinators. Tactically, the Rams have put together an incredibly explosive group of talent, that will be supported by an Offensive Line that is big and nasty and will be controlled by a 6'4 intelligent and accurate distributor in Sam Bradford. The one person I am worried about is Brian Schottenheimer. He may very well become the next Mad Scientist in St. Louis.

Quick note: The Rams play 13 games in a dome next season...

ShaneG

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Speeps said:

This Rams offense is incredibly dynamic, because of the weapons they have. I don't know any other team in the league that will be able to do what the Rams can potentially do on Offense. 6'4 Brian Quick, 6'5 Jared Cook, 6'3 Austin Pettis, 6'0 Chris Givens, 5'11 Stedman Bailey, 5'8 Tavon Austin. Oh and BTW, they have a TE named Lance Kendricks who started to come along last season. If that wasn't enough, Pead and Richardson coming from the back field who are quick and explosive. And the 40 time for those guys are flat out impressive.

That list isn't just filled with match up nightmares, it's filled with migraines for Defensive Coordinators. Tactically, the Rams have put together an incredibly explosive group of talent, that will be supported by an Offensive Line that is big and nasty and will be controlled by a 6'4 intelligent and accurate distributor in Sam Bradford. The one person I am worried about is Brian Schottenheimer. He may very well become the next Mad Scientist in St. Louis.

Thank you very much for the kind words. Love the post and the point re: 13 games in a dome. That's a big, big plus for the makeup of our offense. Good question re: Schottenheimer as it is important he is very creative going forward with this group.

ShaneG

Starter

jap said:
Nice to focus on our new Little Big Man! :ww:

Tavon possesses that electric combination of elite speed & quickness that only very few have had. The first I was aware of to shock the NFL with that combo was the inimitable Gale Sayers. Barry Sanders followed, and he and gale are generally regarded as owning the most exciting NFL highlight reel film. I like to include Marshall Faulk for his speed, his near instantaneous acceleration and jitterbug jukes, and his wide receiver hands.

Tavon appears to have inherited an amalgam of these traits. He is an RB turned mostly WR, combining natural running smarts with the instinctive savvy for self preservation any successful small RB must have. Like his three predecessors, he can stop on a dime and make even 90-degree cuts at full speed. He is smart enough to know he has to continue to build up his body, and, as Tony Softli indicated, the Rams will probably get him up to 185 pounds or so eventually to strike an ideal balance between weight & strength and speed & quickness.

Great points on his versatility and explosion. Agree on him putting on some weight, too.

EastRam

Pro Bowler

ShaneG said:
Speeps said:

Thank you very much for the kind words. Love the post and the point re: 13 games in a dome. That's a big, big plus for the makeup of our offense. Good question re: Schottenheimer as it is important he is very creative going forward with this group.

Who do the Rams have on staff that can replace Marty should the Rams O take off this season?

ShaneG

Starter

EastRam said:
ShaneG said:
Speeps said:

Who do the Rams have on staff that can replace Marty should the Rams O take off this season?

Probably QB Coach Frank Cignetti, who was an OC at Rutgers -- if staying in house.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

bring back Martz

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Stranger said:
bring back Martz
+1. He'd have a field day.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

I don't think Bradford would do well in Martz' offense.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

LesBaker said:
Well, the question I now have is about whether Shotty is up to the task... i really dont know

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen

Good Lord is this Offense going to be fast fast fast!!!!!!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

the guy that Ace Ventura has to fight reminds me of Tavon Awesome.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75UT97Q12-Y[/youtube]

ShaneG

Starter

Ramhusker said:
Good Lord is this Offense going to be fast fast fast!!!!!!

fast and quick, perfect for the fast track inside the dome. I expect more hurry up offense and spread sets. Sam did very well in hurry up last year.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Stranger said:
LesBaker said:
Well, the question I now have is about whether Shotty is up to the task... i really dont know

It's a good question and I dunno either. I would guess that Fisher is going to challenge him to use players more creatively since he has more at his disposal than he ever has.

I don't know how good of a play designer he is though. When he got promoted to OC with the Jets did he just use a playbook and stuff from San Diego? It would have been difficult I'm sure because the Jets had nothing near the talent the Chargers had.

This bears watching and I'm hoping we don't end up seeing the ultra mundane crap we saw under Schurmur.....yikes that was a weak one.

ShaneG

Starter

LesBaker said:
Stranger said:
LesBaker said:

It's a good question and I dunno either. I would guess that Fisher is going to challenge him to use players more creatively since he has more at his disposal than he ever has.

I don't know how good of a play designer he is though. When he got promoted to OC with the Jets did he just use a playbook and stuff from San Diego? It would have been difficult I'm sure because the Jets had nothing near the talent the Chargers had.

This bears watching and I'm hoping we don't end up seeing the ultra mundane crap we saw under Schurmur.....yikes that was a weak one.

How Schottenheimer adapts to this new talent will be crucial to how this offense performs. If used properly, they will be very unpredictable and there will be mismatches galore on a regular basis. I think he can pull it off.. he's a smart guy.

ShaneG

Starter

Stranger said:
LesBaker said:

that's the million dollar question.