Rams ready to put offseason program into high gear/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams ready to put offseason program into high gear
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_c0240813-0206-56da-8a33-7f31058b318e.html

The Rams are ready to take the next step in preparation for the coming NFL season. On Tuesday, the team will hold the first of its 10 organized team activities.

These “OTAs” are not open to the public, but members of the media will be able to watch six of the onfield sessions over the next three weeks.

The Rams began their offseason workout program — weight training, meetings and skill development — on April 20. But OTAs mark the first time the offensive and defensive players can come together on the practice field.

“We started the journey when we came together for workouts, but (OTAs) take it to another level,” Rams middle linebacker James Laurinaitis said. “Personally, I enjoy it. You can only do so many workouts before you get bored. So any time I get to play football or even do football stuff, it’s fun.

“It’s limited, of course, because we’re only in helmets. But you’ll see some competing between the offensive and defensive linemen, and we’ll get some work in the secondary and in pass defense. And the run game always looks good when you can’t tackle.’’

With Gregg Williams back for his second season as defensive coordinator and the majority of the starters and top reserves returning, the Rams are counting on the defense to pick up where it left off a year ago.

The Rams have talked about simplifying the defense during this offseason. Last year, despite dominating at times, the team finished 17th in total defense, 14th against the run and 19th vs. the pass. But it was a different unit during the second half of the season.

Over their last eight games, the Rams ranked fourth in rushing yards allowed per game (84.4), tied for fourth in sacks (26), fifth in points allowed (16.8) and tied for sixth in takeaways (15).

“It took some time for everyone to get familiar and learn what Gregg expected,” said Laurinaitis, who’s heading into his seventh NFL season. “But once we started to understand, things really started to click for us. Gregg knows us and we know him and there’s a great level of trust both ways.”

Key offseason additions to the defense included a pair of free agents — defensive tackle Nick Fairley, a first-round pick by Detroit in 2011, and linebacker Akeem Ayers, a second-round pick by Tennessee in 2011 who finished last season with Super Bowl champion New England.

While the defense appears set, questions abound for the Rams on offense. Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer left shortly after last season ended to take the same position at the University of Georgia.

The Rams promoted from within, elevating Frank Cignetti to the job, then brought in Chris Weinke to take over as quarterbacks coach — Cignetti’s old job.

On March 10, the team swapped quarterbacks with Philadelphia, bringing in Nick Foles and sending Sam Bradford to the Eagles.

Then came the draft, in which the Rams added what coach Jeff Fisher called their “back of the future” by selecting former Georgia star Todd Gurley with the 10th pick.

Gurley, who had knee surgery in November, is not expected to do much, if anything, in OTAs.

The team followed in the draft by addressing its needs on the offensive line by selecting Wisconsin’s Rob Havenstein in Round 2, Louisville’s Jamon Brown in Round 3, Iowa’s Andrew Donnal in Round 4 and Fresno State’s Cody Wichmann in Round 6.

“We know something about Nick (Foles) because we faced him with Philly, but I think we’re all interested to see how things will come together for him here,” Laurinaitis said. “I know he’s been working hard, trying to develop some chemistry and timing with the receivers.”

Laurinaitis is especially intrigued by the development of the offensive line, which returns just two starters — left tackle Greg Robinson and left guard Rodger Saffold.

“We won’t have full contact, but there’ll be some mirroring drills and stuff like that against guys like Aaron Donald, Robert Quinn and Chris Long,’’ he said. “It’s a big step-up for the young guys and I’m looking forward to see if they’re ready to compete or if they’re going to shy away.’’

Laurinaitis said another key aspect of OTAs is the opportunity to re-learn the playbook and set a foundation for training camp, which is to begin in late July.

“You learn all this stuff in OTAs to establish the base you can build on,’’ he said. “That gives you something to study during the summer and then really get after it when camp starts.’’

Laurinaitis continued: “Something Gregg Williams has been stressing lately is starting fast. I think that may be our motto through OTAs. We have to have the mindset that we can’t waste any reps, especially knowing that we open at home against Seattle (on Sept. 13).

“We’ve gotta be able to start fast and get out of this 1-3 rut we’ve been in the last three years.”

Joe Lyons jlyons@post-dispatch.com

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
It's great to hear that all the players are cognizant of the ramifications of our slow starts and the near desperate need to start fast.

If we can enter the bye week 3-2, I think I will be very happy, better than that even more so.

I'm not sure if there's a scenario where I'm happy with less than 3-2.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It's great to hear that all the players are cognizant of the ramifications of our slow starts and the near desperate need to start fast.

If we can enter the bye week 3-2, I think I will be very happy, better than that even more so.

I'm not sure if there's a scenario where I'm happy with less than 3-2.
As long as we don't lose the first game. If I have to see that douchenozzle smiling and smacking his gum when the final whistle blows, it's probably going to ruin my entire season. I couldn't BE more sick and tired of that dude right now.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Our young oline is going to have their hands full week 1.
Fortunately, so will Seattles. Wilson is always good for 4 or 5 sacks against us as well.
I'm taking the under and the W.

RamzFanz

Damnit
As long as we don't lose the first game. If I have to see that douchenozzle smiling and smacking his gum when the final whistle blows, it's probably going to ruin my entire season. I couldn't BE more sick and tired of that dude right now.

failpete.0_standard_352.0.gif

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
No better way for our rooks to learn than practicing against the best d-line line the league.
Trial by fire. By the time the season starts they'll think it's cake.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
may as well credit the original artist who came up with this gem.

@kurtfaulk showin' off his rock history chops! Not surprising with the Diamond Dogs avatar that you know your stuff. I had every Bowie studio album on LP from Space Oddity to Let's Dance, and a few of the live ones. He was before my time, but I saw Ziggy Stardust Motion Picture in the theater and then started digging backwards.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@kurtfaulk showin' off his rock history chops! Not surprising with the Diamond Dogs avatar that you know your stuff. I had every Bowie studio album on LP from Space Oddity to Let's Dance, and a few of the live ones. He was before my time, but I saw Ziggy Stardust Motion Picture in the theater and then started digging backwards.

Yes, going back into Rock history will be my aim for any new purchases of music. The music that's coming out now doesn't do anything for me in making me want to buy any of it. I marvel at how good all the music was before my time - I didn't start buying music until the mid 80s.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
may as well credit the original artist who came up with this gem.

"Well All Right" is the only track on the legendary Blind Faith album not written by a member of Blind Faith. Instead, it is credited to four unrelated people: Norman Petty, Buddy Holly, Jerry Allison, and Joe B. Mauldin. Buddy Holly was of course deceased ten years before this album, and the other three names tie back to him - Allison and Mauldin being bandmates with Holly and Petty his producer, so it's no mystery that it's a Buddy Holly song.
http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=19725

http://www.buddyhollyarchives.com/2...ers-influenced-by-buddy-share-their-memories/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heartbeat_(Buddy_Holly_song)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Montgomery_(songwriter)

Still a mystery....to me....So I'll go with Holly...great music....

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I love the Holly version. All you need is an acoustic guitar and a voice and it sounds good, so it's not hard to imagine a band warming up with this song, changing the tempo, octave and key for fun. So I guess it's no surprise that you have multiple versions out there.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Yes, going back into Rock history will be my aim for any new purchases of music. The music that's coming out now doesn't do anything for me in making me want to buy any of it. I marvel at how good all the music was before my time - I didn't start buying music until the mid 80s.

Get yourself a Spotify subscription. Totally worth it! I wound up listening to and appreciating music that I never would have purchased if I had to consider each song or album individually e.g. I had an Ella Fitzgerald phase. I listened to about 10 different tenors singing Nessun Dorma to try to figure who I liked best (Pavarotti of course). Not kidding.