Rams ranked too low? Some thought so

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Mike Sando
<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/98973/rams-ranked-too-low-some-thought-so" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... thought-so</a>

Our pre-draft and post-draft NFC West positional breakdowns invited criticism from St. Louis Rams fans expecting higher marks for a team that went 4-1-1 in division play last season.

"The Rams added more starters from the draft than the other teams in the division," Matt from Idaho wrote to the NFC West mailbag. "If division records are the same next year, will you still rank the Rams low in all categories?"

[wrapimg=right]http://i.imgur.com/sJR9zgQ.png[/wrapimg]John from Redding, Calif., struck a similar tone: "It amazes me that you praise Les Snead and Jeff Fisher for their draft savvy and yet it seems like within the division their post-draft rankings have gone down across the board. You won't give teams credit for drafting a position because we don't know until we see them play, and then praise every other team for their great positional drafts with non-proven players. Too much contradiction."

Matt and John aren't alone.

"I've noticed that there is not a lot of love for St. Louis in any of these ratings," @larry_dupre wrote. "Rams have better defense than your rating"

Matt Williamson, the NFL scout for ESPN.com, went position by position when putting together the rankings. The first thing he said to me upon looking at a chart with the rankings was, "It just dawned on me Seattle has a one or two on my list at every position but tight end. San Francisco actually has a couple fours. Some are debatable."

The Rams fared well in division play last season, but they were clearly the third-best team in the NFC West. The moves they have made this offseason were mostly geared for the long term. Jake Long and Jared Cook figure to provide immediate upgrades. While I applaud the Rams for selecting Tavon Austin, Percy Harvin will be a better football player in Week 1, and perhaps for a long time. The Rams arguably lost ground to the Seahawks at wide receiver in the short term this offseason even though they upgraded the talent level.

I would have ranked the Rams' defensive line higher than Williamson ranked it. But I also see his point about Seattle having superior quality depth at the position.

The No. 3 ranking for Jeff Fisher among NFC West head coaches seems too low. Fisher did get the better of Jim Harbaugh and Pete Carroll, in my view. He did more with less. Williamson gave Harbaugh and Carroll credit for their team building, not just their on-field coaching. Fisher hasn't had enough time to measure up in that category, but he is well on his way after acquiring those first-round picks from Washington last offseason.

In the end, we know the 49ers and Seahawks are good. We think the Rams are going to be good, and we respect the way they represented themselves in NFC West play last season. If we were to replace the numerical rankings in the chart with arrows pointing up, down or sideways, the Rams would come out better. We chose another course and there was simply less projecting to do when ranking more established rivals.

nittany ram

Rookie
I don't agree with all the rankings. I think the Rams are ranked too low in some categories. But one thing to keep in mind, the 9'ers and Seahawks are arguably the two best teams in football. In that sense ranking third isn't necessarily an insult. You can have a unit that ranks third or fourth in this division and it could still be pretty solid.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
nittany ram said:
I don't agree with all the rankings. I think the Rams are ranked too low in some categories. But one thing to keep in mind, the 9'ers and Seahawks are arguably the two best teams in football. In that sense ranking third isn't necessarily an insult. You can have a unit that ranks third or fourth in this division and it could still be pretty solid.
Yeah, I don't know how you can lead the league in sacks (tied) and be ranked behind two teams you have a winning record against. It's like they're afraid to put themselves out there and dare to say that the Rams just might be a little better in some aspects of the game than the vaunted whiners and seahags.

It's okay....

Shhh......

You can do it.

A55VA6

Legend
I'm cool with being ranked low. Let us surprise people. Sneak up on teams. We have the potential to be deadly if all things work out.

Playoffs are a real goal. Let's get it!!

bluecoconuts

Legend
Putting a midget/a lanky guy who's also a little shifty behind center and telling him to run instead of go through your progressions and let the rest of the team, specifically the run game and defense, that someone else built do everything isn't team building.

Dumping near 20 opening day players out of the league and fielding a better team is team building.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
The fact that the Rams tied for the league lead in sacks and most of them coming from the DL should be enough to make it obvious that the Rams have the best DL in the nfc west. With this jackass ranking them 3rd, it makes it obvious to me that he is just wingin it he is not using any stats or game film to support his opinion.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I'll let last year's results on matchups settle this one... I think our d-line did a good job ;)

nighttrain

Legend
The Dude said:
nittany ram said:
Yeah, I don't know how you can lead the league in sacks (tied) and be ranked behind two teams you have a winning record against. It's like they're afraid to put themselves out there and dare to say that the Rams just might be a little better in some aspects of the game than the vaunted whiners and seahags.

It's okay....

Shhh......

You can do it.
Agree, just for instance, our LB corp just received a massive adddtion in Tree, and we are 4th? Hope #55 reads this:)
train

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
These subjective rankings do nothing but either piss people off or give them an inflated sense of team worth IMO. I would rather be ranked the way we are, and have the players use it as motivation (assuming they even see this drivel).

The more I think about it, the more I see similarities to the 98/99 squad. The Ram defense had started to establish itself in 98, but the offense was abysmal. We all know what happened with the offense in 99, adn I do not expect anything like THAT to happen, but we have added speed to the WR corp with Austin and Cook. I can imagine the offense scoring 22+ PPG, which would most likely put us in the top half of the league. I can only salivate at the idea of THIS defense playing with a lead more often. Sack record could definitely be in jeopardy if that happens.

jap

Legend
Rankings tend to take care of themselves in real life. We Rams don't need no stinking pre-season rankings. We will decide where we are ranked on the field.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
bluecoconuts said:
Putting a midget/a lanky guy who's also a little shifty behind center and telling him to run instead of go through your progressions and let the rest of the team, specifically the run game and defense, that someone else built do everything isn't team building.

Dumping near 20 opening day players out of the league and fielding a better team is team building.
Yeah. Harbaugh didn't build that team. He did get them to play better. That whiny bitch act is going to get old real soon or bleed into the players' attitudes. And how is that not a personal foul? He says he's just a competitor, but that crap he pulls is a tantrum. That in itself should knock him down a rank.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I cannot take these rankings seriously.

Ranking Fish behind any of the other coaches in the West is just ludicrous.

Stupid