Rams rank 4th among the NFL's youngest teams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/02/nfl-rams-youngest-oldest-rosters-rankings/

Here's where the Rams rank among the NFL's youngest teams
By: Cameron DaSilva

usatsi_10458279.jpg

The Los Angeles Rams made some significant changes to their roster this offseason, adding both young stars and established veterans. Aqib Talib and Ndamukong Suh have made their rounds in the NFL thus far and bring leadership to a young Rams squad.

On the other hand, Connor Barwin and Robert Quinn are both out, though they’ll be replaced by much younger, cheaper players. Marcus Peters and Brandin Cooks are also very young at just 25 and 24 years old, respectively.

But where do the Rams rank among the youngest teams in the league this season? Thanks to Jimmy Kempski of Philly Voice, we know exactly where. Each year, Kempski finds the average age of each 53-man roster in the NFL.

From 2013-16, the Rams had the youngest team in the league. Last season, they ranked second. In 2018, they continued to get older, though they still have the fourth-youngest squad in football at an average of 25.5 years old.

In addition to being young, the Rams have a bunch of stars still under 30 years old. Just to name a few:

• Aaron Donald: 27
  • Todd Gurley: 24
  • Brandin Cooks: 24
  • Jared Goff: 23
  • Cooper Kupp: 25
  • Marcus Peters: 25
  • Robert Woods: 26
The Bengals (25.2) have the youngest roster, followed by the Browns (25.3) and the Cowboys (25.4). The Jaguars and Vikings also have an average age of 25.5, but the Rams must be just fractionally younger.

This is a testament to the roster building that Les Snead, Sean McVay and the entire front office have gone through. They’ve rid themselves of overpriced players like Trumaine Johnson and Alec Ogletree, as well as Sammy Watkins.

They’ve also built from within, keeping 10 of their 11 draft picks from this year. Despite not having a first- or second-round pick, the Rams still found value in the draft between Rounds 3 and 7.

This roster is built to last.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
TIL Brandin Cooks is only 24. Seems like hes been in the league forever.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
TIL Brandin Cooks is only 24. Seems like hes been in the league forever.
I know. And Cooper Kupp is 25. A year older. Hard to believe.

Also, look at Goff. 23. Yet Wentz is 25 or 26 even, I believe. And already has injury issues.

Edit: Michael Brockers, like Goff, came into the league young, I believe 21 also.

We are in good shape.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
I think it'd be more interesting to know the average age of the expected starters, than a few 19 year olds stuffed on the practice squad or 3rd in line to play. Besides, "4th in the league" when the top 6 teams are likely within 14 months of the same age - has to be a pretty meaningless statistic, eh? Now, if we get separation of teams by whole numbers, that might be more insightful.... No big deal. Just the way I see it... :rolleyes:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I know. And Cooper Kupp is 25. A year older. Hard to believe.

Also, look at Goff. 23. Yet Wentz is 25 or 26 even, I believe. And already has injury issues.

Edit: Michael Brockers, like Goff, came into the league young, I believe 21 also.

We are in good shape.

Wentz is 23 months older than Goff. Goff turns 24 in Nov, Wentz turns 26 in Dec...

Last edited:

The Ramowl

Starter
I think it'd be more interesting to know the average age of the expected starters, than a few 19 year olds stuffed on the practice squad or 3rd in line to play. Besides, "4th in the league" when the top 6 teams are likely within 14 months of the same age - has to be a pretty meaningless statistic, eh? Now, if we get separation of teams by whole numbers, that might be more insightful.... No big deal. Just the way I see it... :rolleyes:

A 1 year difference in the average over 53 people who are all between the ages of 22 to 36 is a really significant difference. It's about what happens when you change 5 veterans over 32 on your roster for 5 guys under 26, that's not negligeable