Rams rank 22nd in initial ESPN Football Power Index

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams rank 22nd in initial ESPN Football Power Index
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ank-22nd-in-initial-espn-football-power-index

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The ESPN analytics department unveiled a new form of NFL power rankings on Monday. The power ranking is developed with a new methodology that leans on numbers to produce a cumulative score for each team.

As you'd expect for any preseason power rankings, the St. Louis Rams don't rank terribly high. In fact, they checked in at No. 22 on the initial list. Here's the full explanation of how the rankings are formed as well as a question and answer session with the developers.

Breaking it down into simplest terms, each team is assigned a rank for offense, defense and special teams. As you can imagine, the Rams scored well in the predicted defensive ranking, coming in at No. 6 overall. Special teams was at a solid No. 11. But it's the projections for the offense keeping the Rams from placing higher in the index.

The Rams offense is No. 25 on the list. It's not breaking new ground to wonder if the Rams offense will be up to the challenge of taking the Rams to contender status, but the numbers clearly back up that already popular sentiment.

I.C.Y.M.I.

A roundup of Monday's Rams stories appearing on ESPN.com. ... In the Ram-blings, we opened the day with a look at Sam Bradford's big performance for the Eagles over the weekend. ... Linebacker James Laurinaitis answered a few questions in a quick Q&A. ... Thumbs up so far for quarterback Nick Foles. ... I joined Matt Williamson and Robert Flores on the Football Today podcast. ... The Rams made 12 roster moves to get their roster down to 77. ... After making those roster moves, Jeff Fisher and his team got back to practice.

Elsewhere:

The Rams will see quarterback Kirk Cousins in week 2 when they play Washington.

At 101sports.com, Bernie Miklasz examines the latest on the St. Louis stadium pursuit and owner Stan Kroenke.

Miklasz spoke to Dave Peacock, the man who is leading the stadium task force in St. Louis.

At stltoday.com, Jim Thomas writes that the Rams still have an offensive line issue to resolve.

At BND.com, Norm Sanders writes that Demetrius Rhaney is adding versatility that might lead to opportunity.

ram007

Starter
Hawks #1 and Rams #22? I call it baloney. With addition of Foles, gurley, OL draft picks, I believe Rams have overtaken Hawks. Hawks have slight edge in coaching but that's it.

FRO

Legend
Hawks #1 and Rams #22? I call it baloney. With addition of Foles, gurley, OL draft picks, I believe Rams have overtaken Hawks. Hawks have slight edge in coaching but that's it.
We are unproven. Good news is we get to show what we are very shortly. Time to sink or swim.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Coincidentally, they will be #1 after week 22.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Coincidentally, they will be #1 after week 22.
423.gif

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Those so called ESPN experts couldn't pick the winner of a 1 horse race.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm absolutely fine with that ranking. I think it's a good thing to be overlooked in preseason rankings. Nothing like sneaking up on them and busting them in the mouth! I'll be your huckleberry!

jap

Legend
We are unproven. Good news is we get to show what we are very shortly. Time to sink or swim.

Exactly! We have a lot of young 'uns who need to prove they can win decisively at the pro level. They need to cut down drastically on the penalties and mental mistakes. They need block effectively on the offensive side and wrap up ball carriers securely on defense. They need to learn to produce in crunch time no matter what side of the ball they are on. They don't deserve a high ranking until they prove it the old fashion way---by earning it!