Rams Radio. Mike Clay: Rams among the worst teams in the NFL in 2016, plus John Clayton.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Sorry if has been posted already, but didn't see it on the 1st 2 pages. I'm actually hesitant to start a thread on this for several reasons. First it's on E$PN 101 St. Louis, so they're going to have a guy like this on. 2nd, it's the Kevin Wheeler show. I'm not a big fan of his when it comes to football talk. I also figured by posting this, it's always good to come back to it and see who is right. He's also a big fan of the Raiders being strong this year. Please don't call me a shiite stirrer. :cool:

That said I do agree with some of Clay's points as in starting a rookie QB, and the losses we have suffered in the secondary. I honestly don't think we'll be one of the worst teams.. Playoffs we will not make. I hope I'm wrong. :cool:

Last but not least, you have to love John Clayton. Glad to see his gig's are expanding. He's a nerd like me. lolol

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't have a problem with people explaining why they THINK the Rams are the worst team in the NFL.
I do have a problem with them presenting it as fact, however.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Haven't listened yet but I think it is possible for a bad season. 1. The move is a bigger transition than people think. 2. Travel to England from the West coast has potential to negatively impact two to three games due to travel lag. 3. One of the toughest schedules in the league. 4. Lack of good depth at Corner, LBer, DE, DT.

I am not too worried about Goff. If Sam can get rookie of the year at QB, then Goff can start as a rookie QB and play good enough to not be a negative on the team.

But, there are just as many reasons to think the Rams can break the .500 Mark for the first time in years. 1. Improving OLine. 2. Gurley. 3. Defense's major injury is avoided. 3. Goff/Keenum are a better QBs than previous seasons 4. New receivers coach, passing game coordinator/improved offense. 5. Cook not dropping passes.

It all depends on how optimistic/pessimistic you want to be.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Haven't listened yet but I think it is possible for a bad season. 1. The move is a bigger transition than people think. 2. Travel to England from the West coast has potential to negatively impact two to three games due to travel lag. 3. One of the toughest schedules in the league. 4. Lack of good depth at Corner, LBer, DE, DT.

I am not too worried about Goff. If Sam can get rookie of the year at QB, then Goff can start as a rookie QB and play good enough to not be a negative on the team.

But, there are just as many reasons to think the Rams can break the .500 Mark for the first time in years. 1. Improving OLine. 2. Gurley. 3. Defense's major injury is avoided. 3. Goff/Keenum are a better QBs than previous seasons 4. New receivers coach, passing game coordinator/improved offense. 5. Cook not dropping passes.

^ This is dead on^

Go Rams......... ;)

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I don't have a problem with people explaining why they THINK the Rams are the worst team in the NFL.
I do have a problem with them presenting it as fact, however.

The future is unknown. And thats a fact. Well, except maybe for the death and taxes thing. :cool:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It's also very easy for pundits to follow the crowd and continue to say "Losing teams will continue to lose and winning teams will continue to win." With an outlier now and then and IMO the team du jour will be Jacksonville this year.

As to the schedule you truly never know until the season starts and injuries settle in, but I'm confident this year more than most for many of the reasons that our Ram brother @Elmgrovegnome alluded to, however, the depth a running back has me concerned. I am hoping that not only Malcolm Brown can truly step up in preseason, but also provide a nice one two punch with Gurley.

I want to keep Gurley fresh and not overuse him and I have no confidence in Tre Mason whatsoever, legal issues notwithstanding, Benny Cunningham tends to put the ball on the ground too much for my liking, however, I like him, but in a limited role. Brown has to be the guy IMHO because IMO the injury that the Rams would not be able to recover from most at this juncture is Gurley.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Sorry if has been posted already, but didn't see it on the 1st 2 pages. I'm actually hesitant to start a thread on this for several reasons. First it's on E$PN 101 St. Louis, so they're going to have a guy like this on. 2nd, it's the Kevin Wheeler show. I'm not a big fan of his when it comes to football talk. I also figured by posting this, it's always good to come back to it and see who is right. He's also a big fan of the Raiders being strong this year. Please don't call me a shiite stirrer. :cool:

That said I do agree with some of Clay's points as in starting a rookie QB, and the losses we have suffered in the secondary. I honestly don't think we'll be one of the worst teams.. Playoffs we will not make. I hope I'm wrong. :cool:

Last but not least, you have to love John Clayton. Glad to see his gig's are expanding. He's a nerd like me. lolol

Your forgiven Old Friend! I know were your Heart is!!:D:mrburnsevil:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

I agree with you too!! Keep in mind we do have our "Bye Week" after the Trip to England, so that will help!!;)

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Rams go 7 and 9 last season.

Get rid of deadwood in the offseason.

Draft a much better qb than the ball and chain qbing for the Rams last season.

Somehow they turn into one of the worst teams in the league.

I'm not following the logic.

Psycho_X

Legend

Elmgrove covered it pretty good. I'm about 50/50 on the optimism/pessimism this year. IF we have a really good year health wise, IF Goff is at least average stat wise and doesn't turn the ball over a ton in his rookie year, and IF we hit on a few of the young WRs and TEs I could see us having a decent year. If we're unlucky with health at certain positions and Goff has a typical rough rookie year it could go south real quick.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I say this with all due respect for two of my favorite posters over the years in @Elmgrove and @den...

But I don't feel we have a lack of good depth anywhere on that D. Far from it. Yeah, and that's after the loss of Jenkins and McLeod.

As to depth at RB? I'm a big fan of Cunningham, Brown, and this Green kid is intriguing. Yeah, if we lost a Pro Bowl RB like Gurley, it would definitely hurt. I do share den's concern about Mason. Something inside Mason just seemed to "break" last year. He seems like damaged goods now and I doubt that he remains in long term Ram plans.

My concerns?

QB development for Goff. Can Boras, Groh, and Weinke get it done, and quickly?
Will OL stay healthy and continue to gel? Looking at you, GRob.
How quickly can Higbee claim starting pass catching TE spot? Will he be a weapon in '16?
Cooper, Thomas, Spruce, McRoberts, North, Williams. Can SOMEONE please step up and be a reliable receiving target for Goff?
If Gurley stays healthy, he gets 1500 yards rushing and is Goff's best friend. But if he's injured... Gulp.

So yeah, my concerns are on the O side of the ball almost exclusively.

Only camp reports and preseason games can start to ease my worries there.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
I get some concerns, but I just don't see this team being "one of the worst" in the league. At worst they continue the current trend of being talented yet mediocre.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Look it makes perfect sense that our Rams have gone backwards and the Raiders have moved forward. I think it is perfectly rational to think that with these to teams while both addressing needs that the Raiders have closed the 52 point gap from 2 years ago. After all we have done such a poor job with talent adding a Defensive ROY and an Offensive ROY along with the #1 overall pick.
Next up: How the Cleveland browns are really the team to beat in the AFC North

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
The guys in the first segment, I wish they would hurry up and decide which team they are going to root for this year, because its apparent they aren't Rams fans.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes

Rams go 7 and 9 last season.

Get rid of deadwood in the offseason.

Draft a much better qb than the ball and chain qbing for the Rams last season.

Somehow they turn into one of the worst teams in the league.

I'm not following the logic.

There is no logic involved. They look at the following and assume the worst.
-Lost a starting CB
-Lost a starting FS
-Lost a starting MLB
-Lost a starting DE
-Drafted a QB while trading multiple picks to get up to #1 overall

It looks like the recipe for a disaster to someone who doesn't understand football very well.

Also, when someone says "one of the worst teams in the league" I usually picture that team going 2-14 or 3-13. If you honesty believe that that's what is going to happen with the Rams, why are you allowed on the radio?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
^ This is dead on^

Go Rams......... ;)

DEAD ON ?? Really

1. Where are you from ?? I'm a So Cal guy, & have nothing against Ram fans across the world. --Reason I say that is the atmosphere is going to be much better. The Rams workout outside everyday. They don't have to switch from grass to some sorry ASS Fucking Turf !!!
Less chance for injury,& don't have to worry about depression.
--Fisher takes care of his players,but heat is not going to be an issue.It will get plenty hot enough,but not with all that humity. The switch to UCI for camp breaks it up.It will bring in a big OC fan base,& a place The Rams have had camp before as winners.
--Then moving to Thousand Oaks brings them about 20 minutes closer to LA & a cool little college campus.(maybe that could be a concern).Which if players stay the course will be fine.The Rams do have one of the youngest teams in the NFL once again.
2. Agree
3.Agree
4. WTF -- What has been the strength of The Rams these last few years ??
1.Quinn ? (Long) Rams depth is better than last year if you count those 2 injuries.Coples has upside & love his long arms.Blocking passing lanes & containment w/ 2 excellent DT with pressure.
2.DT -- D.Easley v's Fairly ?? D.Worthington has gotten a lot better & is a big guy.--
LOUIS T-P is coming into his second year.He has a motor that won't stop.Depth is there.Talk to Pats fans about D.Easley.
3. LB -- It was time for JL55 to go.He can talk his crap,but he is a loser.Horible cap use. Olgtree is The Rams leading tackler when healthy.
Barron knows his spot.I'd say LB depth is a little concern,but I believe Akers will have an excellent year.These guys know The D-system,plus Williams is going to dial it up a little more.I think some good surprise blitzing from guys like Joyner,MAlexander,& Barron.
4. CB position JJ was going to be a Cap eater.He is a top CB,which I'll give him.Look back at those long plays he & Rodney would give up. JJ when first signed w/ NJ G. He says I need to not take plays off.(he would always take plays off once The Rams would take the lead.) It was always mind boggling how he would give a cushion as well.
--Talk about blitzing.CJ Gains is more of a press corner. He & Tru Johnson play more a like.CJ will get to the QB when needed.This Q Sab is intriguing & will bring a spunk to practice.He talks crap & you have to like that from a CB postition.
--5. I'll add the Safties position of a little concern,but Cody Davies has been in the system for awhile.He also is a core special teams player.That was the amazing thing about Rodney. Will see,but Davies did have a nice INT last season.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
1. Where are you from ?? I'm a So Cal guy, & have nothing against Ram fans across the world. --Reason I say that is the atmosphere is going to be much better. The Rams workout outside everyday. They don't have to switch from grass to some sorry ASS freaking Turf !!!
Wut?

There is zero correlation between playing on turf and getting injured vs playing on grass and getting injured.
Depression? The hell does that mean? Are you saying professional athletes get depressed playing on artificial surfaces?
Er uh, the GSOT seemed to be dealing with that depression fairly well then.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Unfortunately, PFF's Nathan Jahnke appears to agree with ESPN's assessment :

"14. Los Angeles Rams (4-12)
On offense, the Rams could be somewhat improved from last year, but all of their improvements are rookies that might need time to develop. Their only likely starters on offense with a projected PFF grade above 61.0 are running back Todd Gurley, wide receiver Kenny Britt, and right tackle Rob Havenstein, so the rookies won’t have as much help around them as they’d like. On defense, they lost two of their best non-linemen in Janoris Jenkins and Rodney McLeod, and didn’t find replacements for them to be excited about. They still have an amazing defensive line, led by the best player in 2015, Aaron Donald, but a great D-line can only get a team so far."

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
DEAD ON ?? Really

1. Where are you from ?? I'm a So Cal guy, & have nothing against Ram fans across the world. --Reason I say that is the atmosphere is going to be much better. The Rams workout outside everyday. They don't have to switch from grass to some sorry ASS freaking Turf !!!
--Fisher takes care of his players,but heat is not going to be an issue.It will get plenty hot enough,but not with all that humity. The switch to UCI for camp breaks it up.It will bring in a big OC fan base,& a place The Rams have had camp before as winners.
--Then moving to Thousand Oaks brings them about 20 minutes closer to LA & a cool little college campus.(maybe that could be a concern).Which if players stay the course will be fine.The Rams do have one of the youngest teams in the NFL once again.
2. Agree
3.Agree
4. WTF -- What has been the strength of The Rams these last few years ??
1.Quinn ? (Long) Rams depth is better than last year if you count those 2 injuries.Coples has upside & love his long arms.Blocking passing lanes & containment w/ 2 excellent DT with pressure.
2.DT -- D.Easley v's Fairly ?? D.Worthington has gotten a lot better & is a big guy.--
LOUIS T-P is coming into his second year.He has a motor that won't stop.Depth is there.Talk to Pats fans about D.Easley.
3. LB -- It was time for JL55 to go.He can talk his crap,but he is a loser.Horible cap use. Olgtree is The Rams leading tackler when healthy.
Barron knows his spot.I'd say LB depth is a little concern,but I believe Akers will have an excellent year.These guys know The D-system,plus Williams is going to dial it up a little more.I think some good surprise blitzing from guys like Joyner,MAlexander,& Barron.
4. CB position JJ was going to be a Cap eater.He is a top CB,which I'll give him.Look back at those long plays he & Rodney would give up. JJ when first signed w/ NJ G. He says I need to not take plays off.(he would always take plays off once The Rams would take the lead.) It was always mind boggling how he would give a cushion as well.
--Talk about blitzing.CJ Gains is more of a press corner. He & Tru Johnson play more a like.CJ will get to the QB when needed.This Q Sab is intriguing & will bring a spunk to practice.He talks crap & you have to like that from a CB postition.
--5. I'll add the Safties position of a little concern,but Cody Davies has been in the system for awhile.He also is a core special teams player.That was the amazing thing about Rodney. Will see,but Davies did have a nice INT last season.

I'm sorry I'm from Western New York.....I felt his point was dead on.... the fact that he was saying. ..there is plenty of reason to worry or plenty of reason to be positive. ..depending on your perspective. .... me I honestly see us going anywhere from 12-4 to 10-6 this year depending on injuries. .... I agree with your assertion that the D-line depth is good and our team will be even better on both sides of the ball than last year....and that the question facing the team depth wise turn out as improvements....at least most of them....the turf thing...lol I'm not going to answer.....that's just my opinion. ....;)

Go Rams......... ;)