Rams quarterback situation in holding pattern/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Rams' quarterback situation in holding pattern
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/27818/rams-message-on-quarterbacks-hasnt-changed

BOCA RATON, Fla. -- Let's take a moment to clear up some confusion coming out of the owners meetings on Monday.

Before I even landed here Monday afternoon, Los Angeles Rams general manager Les Snead appeared on NFL Network to talk about all things Rams. At the top of that list: the ongoing game of "will they or won't they?" when it comes to the starting quarterback position and Case Keenum.

Snead didn't offer much new in that regard, echoing the comments coach Jeff Fisher made on Jan. 4 in which he said that Keenum is the team's starter going into the offseason program but that there will be competition in place.

Case Keenum
Will Case Keenum get the call at quarterback for the Los Angeles Rams?

But, as social media often does, Snead's answer was lacking some key words. Where it's true that Snead said "Keenum will be the starter on opening day," he actually said Keenum would be the starter on the opening day of organized team activities.

The Rams are set to begin the offseason program on April 18 and are tentatively scheduled to begin OTAs at the end of May. That's a long way from the start of the regular season.

I ran into Snead early Monday evening and asked him to clarify something that he probably shouldn't have had to.

"What I said this morning was when we come back for OTAs, Case Keenum will take the reps with the No. 1 offense," Snead said. "He earned that. But you know what, there’s OTAs, there’s a preseason and there will be a lot of competition from point A to point Z until we start the season and go from there. But when we come for OTAs, Case will line up with the ones, and I think I was pretty strict in saying why he would do that because he came in and he helped us win three of four and was close to going 4-0."

So let's reset this once more, with feeling: The Rams know they need help at quarterback. They also don't seem to believe that the signal callers on the free-agent market are obvious upgrades over what they have. They also know that draft isn't likely to yield an instant starter, especially since they're picking at No. 15 overall.

That doesn't mean the Rams won't bring in another quarterback. In fact, there's a good chance they'll find one in the draft. So yes, it's fair to say that Keenum is a good bet to be the starting quarterback not only when the Rams open OTAs but also when they open the season.

But for now, they're keeping their options open.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm thinking all the uproar over Les' comments on the QB position might very well influence things a bit inside the Rams' front office. Not that they'll change their direction in a major way or anything over it, but I think it helps for them to see the fan reaction to them settling at the position at this critical time of the team settling into LA.

So if they are strongly considering a move up, here's hoping this whole thing helps convince them! :mad:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm thinking all the uproar over Les' comments on the QB position might very well influence things a bit inside the Rams' front office. Not that they'll change their direction in a major way or anything over it, but I think it helps for them to see the fan reaction to them settling at the position at this critical time of the team settling into LA.

So if they are strongly considering a move up, here's hoping this whole thing helps convince them! :mad:

I would sincerely hope that PR would have no effect on such an important decision. They should be most concerned with what will help the team, both short and long term.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Is it my imagination or has Snead shifted the stated objective for the team to "competing" in the division from a previously stated goal of "winning" the division?

If it's simply competing, then you already have your answer as to where this team is headed and that's more
mediocrity at least until they approach 2019. I'm convinced ownership is currently more concerned about (entertaining) as a holding action, rather than actually making a serious run. Kroenke has always had a "vision" longer than most fans had hoped or believed,

Oh he'll eventually bring pressure to bare or make the changes necessary to "win" once his investment is in order, but one thing at a time. For now, just play upon the return to LA angle, excite the fans with visions of future glory (that's what this franchise does best), highlight the budding new stars i.e., Donald & Gurley while building the drama and anticipation towards the grand opening stage. Is it any surprise that there's no urgency to find a starting QB, at least this season? No rush for new uniforms either. For the time being, this team will more closely resemble a nomadic family roaming in the desert...So. Cal is desert, right?

Let's face it, this really isn't a great year for QB's anyway and besides, there are still 3 seasons before the real show begins......another mogul's marketing and investment success, maybe not timely enough for rabid fans like ourselves who have waited for what seems like, well, forever......but lets not forget, it's just business, it's nothing personal.:baghead:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is it my imagination or has Snead shifted the stated objective for the team to "competing" in the division from a previously stated goal of "winning" the division?

It's your imagination.

The Rams spend the salary cap every season. They have an expensive coaching staff. There is zero reason for them not to try to do their best. There can be legitimate disagreement, of course, on what are the best moves to achieve that goal. But this isn't the Jags, who for years spent under the salary cap, able to play with the money, invest it for years until they had to by rule spend the backlog.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
It's your imagination.

The Rams spend the salary cap every season. They have an expensive coaching staff. There is zero reason for them not to try to do their best. There can be legitimate disagreement, of course, on what are the best moves to achieve that goal. But this isn't the Jags, who for years spent under the salary cap, able to play with the money, invest it for years until they had to by rule spend the backlog.

Huh? Sorry, but your response didn't address the question quoted....it has nothing to do with salary cap, the Jags or money.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Personally, I'd like to hear an entirely different objective.
Such as, "We're already competitive in the division. Our focus is winning outside the division."

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
It's getting harder to believe in Fisher when he thinks Keenum should be our starter.With the team moving back to LA 1st impressions are important for fan support.I think Fisher is so intent on making his way work that he's become delusional.There doesn't seem to be any indication that he's willing to change anytime soon.Keenum while an adequate backup would probably not have another NFL coach starting him.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let's face it, this really isn't a great year for QB's anyway and besides, there are still 3 seasons before the real show begins......another mogul's marketing and investment success, maybe not timely enough for rabid fans like ourselves who have waited for what seems like, well, forever......but lets not forget, it's just business, it's nothing personal.:baghead:

This ain't business! It's personal!

IceTfromNewJackCity.jpg

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
We're not bad within our own division, we always hold our own, it's all the other games we need to worry about ;)

I'd like to hear the coaching staff / players come out and say their intention is WINNING - every game - being competitive is for the training ground. LA needs to see a winning team, with a difference maker at QB. I don't believe there is one in this year's draft (at the QB position)

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

If it's simply competing, then you already have your answer as to where this team is headed and that's more
mediocrity at least until they approach 2019. I'm convinced ownership is currently more concerned about (entertaining) as a holding action, rather than actually making a serious run. Kroenke has always had a "vision" longer than most fans had hoped or believed,

Oh he'll eventually bring pressure to bare or make the changes necessary to "win" once his investment is in order, but one thing at a time. For now, just play upon the return to LA angle, excite the fans with visions of future glory (that's what this franchise does best), highlight the budding new stars i.e., Donald & Gurley while building the drama and anticipation towards the grand opening stage. Is it any surprise that there's no urgency to find a starting QB, at least this season? No rush for new uniforms either. For the time being, this team will more closely resemble a nomadic family roaming in the desert...So. Cal is desert, right?

if what you've said is true . especially regarding 2019...then it would make sense (to me at least to grab your QB this year, if they think Wentz Goff Lynch will pan out to be the franchise QB let them take their licks for a couple season ready to make the splash in the brand new digs

but then I guess that's why im typing this on a forum and not making the decisions for the rams

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Personally, I'd like to hear an entirely different objective.
Such as, "We're already competitive in the division. Our focus is winning outside the division."

Absolutely...accomplish that objective and the rest will take care of itself.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I believe Fisher is doing exactly what he was brought in to do. Rebuild the team, remove the atmosphere of perennial losers, move them to LA, build a new fan base, push in to the playoffs and be a winning franchise for the next decade+

The only people who know the real plan do not post on this board but we can have fun talking about what we think is supposed to happen even though we have nothing to base our ideas on.

They aren't trying to win :thinking: