Rams' QB plan should've been last year's/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams' QB plan should've been last year's
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/15395/rams-qb-plan-shouldve-been-done-last-year

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- In terms of record, the St. Louis Rams took a step back in 2014 as they finished 6-10 on the year. That was one win short of the seven-victory seasons they had put together in the first two years under coach Jeff Fisher.

And while 6-10 or 7-9 is never good enough, there is a way that it could be viewed as a good thing under the right circumstances. Like, say, if you were a young team with a rookie quarterback who improved every week and offered hope for the future at the game's most important position.

For example, fans of the Minnesota Vikings probably weren't happy with their 7-9 finish in 2014 but they also probably feel good about having Teddy Bridgewater coming back next year with a season of experience under his belt.

Here in St. Louis, there are no such feelings about the quarterback position. Instead, there are just questions. Many, many questions about how it's all going to play out after a season in which veteran Shaun Hill and Austin Davis split the starts and proved that neither is the long or short term answer as the starter.

One of those questions is why the Rams didn't put themselves in position to begin developing a young quarterback last year when they still had extra draft picks from the Washington trade and Sam Bradford was working his way back from a season-ending ACL injury?

Rams general manager Les Snead said he has no regrets about not drafting a quarterback (the since-released Garrett Gilbert) until the sixth round.

"I never do hindsight," Snead said. "My son does a great job of hindsight, he goes out on the list and finds the next guy and it's always 'you should have taken him.' you go back and analyze the foresight because you've always got to predict the future. Last year you knew there were going to be some quarterbacks going early and we decided, you know what, the best thing for the St. Louis Rams instead of taking a QB in the first round is add another player. Aaron Donald helped the defense, all of that."

While Donald certainly has been a boon for the Rams after they used the 13th overall pick on him, I don't think it's really hindsight to wonder why the Rams didn't address the position earlier than the sixth round. In fact, most indications from the organization before the draft were that they would take a quarterback in the first three or four rounds.

Not taking a quarterback in the first round of a draft light on top quarterback prospects can be forgiven but what about what happened after that? Jimmy Garoppolo was on the board when the Rams picked in Round 2, every quarterback except Garoppolo, Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel, Bridgewater and Derek Carr was available when they picked in Round 3 and again in Round 4.

"We said, 'Ok, starting where we picked in next rounds, if there's a quarterback there that we really really were jacked about, let's do it,'" Snead said. "Some of the guys, let's [draft] him, they kind of went right before. So then take a position player. You knew then you were taking a guy to develop."

But a guy to develop might not have been such a bad thing, especially considering that now the Rams plan for 2015 is to bring Bradford back and bring in a quarterback from outside, likely one that will need plenty of work as well. That's especially true given that the Rams don't pick until No. 10 overall in this year's draft.

It's extremely unlikely that any of the quarterbacks drafted anywhere in the 2014 draft would have improved the Rams' 6-10 record much but there might have been one that made that 6-10 look a little more promising heading into 2015.

ram007

Starter
Les Snead should be commended for talent build up on this team. Good Job Les. No Pun intended.

But can you please agree you dropped the ball on the QB?

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Les Snead should be commended for talent build up on this team. Good Job Les. No Pun intended.

But can you please agree you dropped the ball on the QB?
Would a rookie QB have outplayed Hill and/or Davis?

Me: I don't know.

We could have taken Jimmy Garoppolo rather than Joyner. He paid a 5th (could have been Zach Mettenberger I suppose)

As of now the most questionable pick is likely Maurice Alexander in round 4. (could have been Logan Thomas, Savage, Murray, McCarren I guess . . .

Who would you have wanted drafted in 2014?

Last edited:

ram007

Starter
Would a rookie QB have outplayed Hill and/or Davis?

Me: I don't know.,

We could have taken Jimmy Garoppolo rather than Joyner. He paid a 5th (could have been Zach Mettenberger I suppose)

As of now the most questionable pick is likely Maurice Alexander in round 4. (could have been Logan Thomas, Savage, Murray, McCarren I guess . . .

Who would you have wanted drafted in 2014?

I am concerned about their body of work at THE most important position on the NFL field of play. Since 2012 these QBs could have been selected: Teddy Bridgewater, Derek Carr, Jimmy Garrapolo, Zach Mettenberger, Mike Glennon, Ryan Tannehill, Russell Wilson, Nick Foles

May be they are not all franchise QBs but can one disagree they would not be upgrade over Austin Davis, Kellen Clemens, Shaun Hill, Garret Gilbert, Case Keenum?

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
If Snead knew Bradford was going to pop his knee again then yes, he dropped the ball. But no one is that smart, unless they have a crystal ball.

jjab360

Legend
Not big on any of last year's crop of QBs except for maybe Carr, so I can't really agree that Snead dropped the ball. If we trade up for Winston or Mariota, I'd be 10x more on board with that than if we had taken anyone high last year.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
If Snead knew Bradford was going to pop his knee again then yes, he dropped the ball. But no one is that smart, unless they have a crystal ball.
Exactly this.

A 1st or 2nd round QB was going to cause QB controversy which the team didn't need.

3rd round, I'm glad we have Mason.

You can make a case after that... but when they're sitting there waiting to be drafted, there's not a massive quality difference between 4th and 6th rounders.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Uh...........duh, but if you don't think the talent was there, why force it?

I saw some talent, but not at the expense of A. DONALD, for instance

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Exactly this.

A 1st or 2nd round QB was going to cause QB controversy which the team didn't need.

3rd round, I'm glad we have Mason.

You can make a case after that... but when they're sitting there waiting to be drafted, there's not a massive quality difference between 4th and 6th rounders.

Every indication showed that Bradford was injury prone. Bradford's injury was not a surprise by any stretch of the imagination.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Every indication showed that Bradford was injury prone. Bradford's injury was not a surprise by any stretch of the imagination.
It was to the docs. Best available information was that the same knee would not be at any more risk. It was actually a shock to the Rams that the same knee went again. Bradford has an shoulder injury in college, a high ankle sprain in 2011 and a knee in 2013 . .. now if that is the indication that he's injury prone then I would agree, but this was the same knee that he hurt before and the docs said it was sound . ..

nonethess, who would you have drafted?

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
It was to the docs. Best available information was that the same knee would not be at any more risk. It was actually a shock to the Rams that the same knee went again. Bradford has an shoulder injury in college, a high ankle sprain in 2011 and a knee in 2013 . .. now if that is the indication that he's injury prone then I would agree, but this was the same knee that he hurt before and the docs said it was sound . ..

nonethess, who would you have drafted?

I don't know. It's easy to sound smart and say I would have drafted Carr. But I wanted Johnny Football through the duration of the process.

Good thing I'm not the GM. ;)

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am concerned about their body of work at THE most important position on the NFL field of play. Since 2012 these QBs could have been selected: Teddy Bridgewater, Derek Carr, Jimmy Garrapolo, Zach Mettenberger, Mike Glennon, Ryan Tannehill, Russell Wilson, Nick Foles

May be they are not all franchise QBs but can one disagree they would not be upgrade over Austin Davis, Kellen Clemens, Shaun Hill, Garret Gilbert, Case Keenum?
I wished they had taken a QB much earlier than they eventually did.

Love Donald... love Mason... but I hear Nick and agree to some extent... if we had Carr... or Garrapolo... I'd be excited to think about the future at QB.

But, as it is, I'm not the only one who has no idea how the Rams will figure this out now.

Hindsight is always 20/20... but there are calculated risks... the Rams calculated Bradford wouldn't get reinjured and went full boat on that... and the gamble didn't pay out.

I dunno... even if a Carr... or Garrapolo didn't play much last season - given the uncertainty with Bradford and knowing Hill and Davis are not the answer - I'd be pretty excited about the future at QB.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
A real Hindsight pro will get you a Super Bowl win every year.....To pick just one player is so amateurish.

ram007

Starter
I don't want Rams to end up with Kellen Clemens and Shaun Hill again as backups again. Hopefully they do a better job at backup QB position this year if not the starting QB position.

Alan

Legend
Yep, should have bit the bullet last year. I was one of the idiots who would have disagreed with him had he said that last year. :oops:

V3

Hall of Fame
I wasn't happy with the Joyner pick and was asked who I would have taken instead. Garoppolo was on my list. Is it hindsight if I wanted him before the pick was made? I honestly thought he would go in the first.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
If we're throwing stones, then I'll admit that I wanted Matthews and Mack with the first two picks.

I'm still not sure if Robinson or Matthews will be the better choice, but I can understand why they went with Robinson at the time and I was never disappointed with that choice. And no way would Mack have been a factor for us the way Donald has been.

And I still don't get the need to draft any quarterback when we still have the issues that we have on the offensive line. So, I would have chosen for that in the second round.

In the end, I really think we solved our issues at secondary last year. How nice it is that from this point on, our defensive picks can be luxuries.

Hopefully, this year can be about our line, and while we will be taking a chance on the quarterback position no matter what happens (unless the Broncos drop Manning and he comes to us), we'll at least continue to move to a position that we can draft and drop in our ideal quarterback at some future date.