Rams QB Jared Goff runs with the first team, should again in Saturday's game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.espn.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/30159/jared-goff-runs-with-the-first-team

Alden GonzalezESPN Staff Writer

IRVINE, Calif. -- Jared Goff, the No. 1 overall pick who is being groomed to eventually become the Los Angeles Rams' starting quarterback, took a handful of snaps with the first-team offense during Wednesday's practice and is expected to do so in an actual game on Saturday.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher said he wants to give Goff a series or two with the starters in the second week of the preseason schedule, when the Kansas City Chiefs visit Los Angeles Coliseum for a game that begins at 6 p.m. PT. Case Keenum still took most of the first-team reps from UC Irvine and "is still clearly ahead" of Goff on the depth chart, Fisher said.

Goff's first-team reps came mostly on running plays, though he did complete a couple of short passes to the outside.

"I feel like every day I am more comfortable, more fluid, more in a rhythm; stuff becomes more natural every day," Goff said. "It’s been going well."

But Goff still has some growing pains.

On Tuesday, he threw a couple of picks and fumbled a couple of snaps, at one point even getting tripped up while coming out from under center. On at least a couple of occasions Wednesday, Goff -- accustomed to running a no-huddle offense and taking almost every snap from the shotgun at Cal -- didn't get the ball out quickly enough on standard three-step drops. But he also completed a 40-yard pass to Bradley Marquez, his trusty training partner, during 7-on-7 drills and later effectively orchestrated a two-minute drill with the second unit.

"I thought he was fine," Fisher said of Goff, as he usually does. "I need a card to hold up that says, 'Jared was fine,' and put it back down."

Asked what it is he would still like to refine, Goff said: "I don't know if I can pinpoint one thing. It’s trying to feel more comfortable every day with everything we do. It’s not one particular thing. When we’re in a certain drill I’m working on the one particular thing, and then when we go with the team I’m just trying to play."

Goff believes he has "grown exponentially" since the start of organized team activities on May 31 and that Week 2 will come easier because "it won't be all new."

Fisher said he measures Goff's performance independent of Keenum's, "But we have to be realistic, because who's going to eventually give us the best chance to win? And when is that going to be?"

Goff relieved Keenum and went 4-for-9 for 38 yards in the Rams' 28-24 victory over the Cowboys last weekend, with two of his passes dropped by rookie receiver Pharoh Cooper. On his second pass, the 21-year-old rookie didn't anticipate the blitz, was hit while trying to throw downfield and threw an interception. That hit, by Cowboys linebacker Derek Akunne, led to a sore non-throwing shoulder that forced Goff to sit after just two series.

"I'm definitely excited to get back out there and get a chance to compete and show what I can do," Goff said.
wants to be.

"Oh, not as close as you’d like," Goff said. "Every day you try to get better, and I don’t think I’ll ever be complacent and happy with where I am, no matter what. You always want to get better, and I think that will remain true for the rest of my career"

Some additional notes from Wednesday's practice, the second consecutive one with full pads ...
Robert Quinn's sister, Jasmine Camacho-Quinn, was disqualified while competing in the 100-meter semifinal hurdles in the Summer Olympics. Camacho-Quinn was among the leaders through seven hurdles, but knocked down the eighth and ninth and then stumbled and fell through the 10th and final hurdle. Quinn was excused from practice Tuesday and Wednesday to watch her and could return by
Thursday.

• Undrafted rookie receiver Nelson Spruce, who led the team with six catches and 51 receiving yards in the preseason opener, was walking around practice with a knee brace. And the "Hard Knocks" cameras were following closely behind. Spruce was initially expected to miss a week or two of action.
  • Rookie tight end Tyler Higbee, who caught five passes on Saturday, and running back Aaron Green, who scored the winning touchdown, did not practice because Fisher said they "needed a break." Tackle Isaiah Battle hurt his knee during a pass rush, but Fisher said it "doesn't look like there's anything serious."
  • Linebacker Mark Barron was held out of practice for a third straight day on Wednesday, but Fisher said he's "on track" to play on Saturday. Strong safety Maurice Alexander returned to practice, but mainly worked out on the side with one of the coaches.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I can see a very up and down season for Goff. After throwing a pick he will come back and throw a perfect 60 yard TD strike. Keenum will limit the mistakes but we will be in a lot of close games with him.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Asked what it is he would still like to refine, Goff said: "I don't know if I can pinpoint one thing. It’s trying to feel more comfortable every day with everything we do. It’s not one particular thing.
Everything should be the key word here....

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Good News that Goff will get some time with the ones and the Chiefs have one of the better defenses so it will be a great test. I'm not worried if they go with Keenum the first few games or what ever player gives the Rams the best chance to win.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Practice Report 8/17: Goff Working with Starters, Showing Consistent Progress

By Myles Simmons

[www.therams.com]

The Rams have had 12 days of training camp practices. After each one of them, head coach Jeff Fisher has directly addressed or been asked about No. 1 overall pick Jared Goff.

Fisher has been a NFL head coach for two decades, so he’s no stranger to day-to-day questions about a quarterback. But that doesn’t mean he’s going to have a flowery answer every time.

“I thought he was fine,” Fisher said Wednesday. “I need a card to hold up that says, ‘Jared was fine,’ and put it back down.”

Still, to the untrained eye, some days look better than others. And Wednesday appeared to be one of the best practices Goff has put together since the start of training camp.

The Cal product looked in command and made strong throws throughout the day — in one-on-ones with wideouts and cornerbacks, seven-on-seven drills, and with the first-team offense in 11-on-11.

“I want to be more comfortable every day. I feel like I am,” Goff said. “Every day I get more comfortable and get more fluid and more in a rhythm. Stuff becomes more natural every day. So, it’s been going well.”

There were a couple throws in particular that illustrated Goff’s passing prowess on Wednesday afternoon. One was a nicely placed ball right above the cornerback and into the hands of wide receiver Brian Quick for a touchdown in one-on-ones. And in seven-on-seven, Goff fired a strike deep down the right side of the field to wide receiver Bradley Marquez, which the receiver caught with room to run.

“Especially with seven-on-[seven], you don’t get too many chances like that to run a fly like that,” Goff said, noting the Rams’ defense does “a good job playing deep, and don’t get beat deep often.

“You don’t throw many of those in camp, especially against our defense, so it’s nice,” the rookie added.

When Goff takes snaps with the starters and performs well as he did on Wednesday, it shows just how much his comfort level has increased. Fisher said the club has been getting Goff in with the ones in walk-through sessions, and is trying to have him do at least one period with the group during practice. 

“I feel as comfortable with them as I do … with the other guys,” Goff said. “I just try to improve every day, and try not to make it more than it is.”

“Every day there’s something that he does better and different, especially in the huddle and his understanding — a check here or a check there and a ball out quick,” Fisher said. “He’s progressing.”

These are elements of the game Goff’s teammates are noticing as well. Wide receiver Kenny Britt said he’s seen “big strides” from Goff on a daily and weekly basis. Running back Benny Cunningham said he’s observed the progress as well, relaying how offensive players want to have a group conducive to the rookie’s success.

“I just want him to be comfortable,” Cunningham said. “Any way we can make him comfortable, whether it’s protection, routes — just trusting us so it makes his job easier. We just want to try to create that environment for it.”

The more Goff works with the first-team offense, the more he sees Los Angeles’ first-team defense. His counterpart on the unit, middle linebacker Alec Ogletree, said it’s clear how the degree of difficulty rises once a rookie runs with the starters.

“it’s a difference from going against guys that you just played against in college versus guys that have been in the league and been in the defense,” Ogletree said. “And we’ve got a pretty good defense out here, so he’s seeing a lot of stuff that he may not see on game day.

“But you can definitely tell the difference from the first day when he came out here to now,” Ogletree continued. “He’s lightyears different from the first day. He’s picking up the offense a lot faster, able to get in and out of the huddle and just do different stuff. You can tell he’s learning a lot more. He knows where to throw the ball as it’s gone on. So practice makes perfect. He’s got a lot of work to do, but he’s definitely getting better.”

As cliché as it is, Goff appears to be taking practices day by day, focusing on doing the little things to increase his comfort. His approach seems to stem from a line he often goes back to: not making anything bigger than it is.

“I tend to be able to do that and make it the same game it’s been for my whole life,” Goff said. “I recognize that’s part of why I was able to be successful at Cal and in high school and before that, because I’m just trying to go out there and have fun, honestly. At the end of the day, if you’re not having fun, there’s no reason to do it. I want to have fun every time I go out there.”

For Saturday’s game, Goff may have a chance to have some fun with the first-team offense at the Coliseum.

“Right now — as we go into the discussions —I’d like to get Jared a shot with the ones in this game,” Fisher said. “Whether that’s a series or two series — I don’t know. We’ll try to be more specific for you.”

Of course, Goff’s first preseason appearance was cut short for precautionary reasons after the quarterback experienced some discomfort in his non-throwing shoulder. That may provide a touch of extra anticipation for Saturday’s matchup against Kansas City.

But Goff isn’t one who needs much outside motivation.

“Yeah, I think I’d look forward to it regardless,” Goff said. “But I’m definitely excited to get back out there and get a chance to compete and show what I can do.”

EXTRA POINTS

— The Rams held tight end Tyler Higbee and running back Aaron Green out of practice on Wednesday. 

“They’ve not been ruled out for the game by any means, but they needed a break,” Fisher said.

Safety/linebacker Mark Barron has not been ruled out of Saturday’s game either, though he also did not practice on Wednesday.

Offensive lineman Isaiah Battle has been working his way back to practice, but went back in with trainers after having an issue in a pass rushing drill.

“He’s been dealing with a little knee issue and some swelling and I think it kind of buckled on him,” Fisher said. “It doesn’t look like there’s anything serious. We still have not ruled him out for the game.”

— Defensive end Robert Quinn should be back with the team tomorrow after watching his sister compete in the Olympics. Competing in the 100m hurdles, Jasmine Camacho-Quinn knocked over the eighth and ninth hurdles before falling through the 10th.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I had no idea the Quinnipiac I was watching last night in the Olympics was Robert sister.

Good news on Battle being ok. It would be nice to see him get some playing time this sat.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I can see a very up and down season for Goff. After throwing a pick he will come back and throw a perfect 60 yard TD strike. Keenum will limit the mistakes but we will be in a lot of close games with him.
I'm sure he will have his moments where he looks like a rookie.

Actually, he will have his moments where he looks like a little kid. Before the start of the game Saturday he was shown walking along the sidelines right after the national anthem. All of a sudden he whipped his head around and looked up to the sky, (flyover?) like a little boy. (At this moment us guys roll our eyes, while our wives say, "ah, how cute. ")

Back to the game, Jared the young man threw NOTHING BUT STRIKES. Throw out the pick. Marinelli was over there running mid-season pass rush schemes. :huh: He was hit as he threw and I am convinced that pass would have been an easy 12 yd. curl completion to Harkey. (The replay shows him break open in the seam as Goff starts his throw)

Now. Does Goff need to anticipate and get rid of the ball? Of course. He bears some responsibility for that, and the sack. But every one of his throws was right on the money. Even his deep shot to Quick was thrown to the outside so only Quick had a shot at it.

I think we will see 2-3 WOW throws against KC, and he will be named the starter by week one.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Excellent post Den thanks!