Rams QB Case Keenum gearing up for first Week 1 start

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams QB Case Keenum gearing up for first Week 1 start
By Alden Gonzalez

[www.espn.com]

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- The backdrop was carried into the locker room, Case Keenum took his place in the middle of it and a mob of media members swelled around him late Thursday afternoon, four days before the Los Angeles Rams will open their season. Then came the first question ...

Case, your first NFL start. What's it like?

"Well ... it's my 16th NFL start, just so you know," Keenum said. "So, I have done it before."

Yes, in case anybody forgot, he has. But Keenum has only ever been the guy by default, starting with the Houston Texans because Matt Schaub injured a foot and an ankle in 2013, and starting for the Rams because Nick Foles wasn't good enough in 2015. This is the summer when Keenum actually won a job, holding off a developing No. 1 pick to do it.

This is the summer when Keenum will finally start a regular-season opener -- on Monday Night Football, against the division-rival San Francisco 49ers, in the first meaningful game back in Los Angeles.

"It’s the first time for it to be my show starting out, and not just taking over like, 'Oh crap, send out Case now,'" Keenum said. "It’s been something I’ve prepared for for a long time. I’m excited. I really am."

Keenum left Houston as the NCAA's all-time leader in passing yards, touchdowns and completions, but a relatively small stature and a weak throwing arm left him undrafted in 2012.

He spent that season buried on the Texans' practice squad, then started eight games in 2013, throwing for 1,760 yards with nine touchdowns and six interceptions. Keenum spent a chunk of the next year on the Rams' practice squad, then returned to the Texans, started the final two regular-season games, winning both. He returned to the Rams for a seventh-round pick in March 2015.

Keenum went on to supplant Foles, the man he was brought in to back up, and returned from a concussion to start the final four games last season, a stretch in which he threw for 692 yards, completed nearly 65 percent of his passes and led the Rams to three victories.

In the eight months that followed, the Rams have seen continued growth.

"Every week seeing just more and more command of the offense, which is comforting," Rams coach Jeff Fisher said of Keenum. "He’s going to get up there and make the right decision. The position itself is hard to play, but he’s going to give us a chance with checking in and out of run stuff, changing protections, getting the ball down the field, making plays, extending plays with his legs."

Keenum is coming off a solid preseason, one that saw him complete 75 percent of his passes without committing a single turnover.

That's all the Rams really need from the 28-year-old: just enough to keep opposing defenses from stacking the box against star running back Todd Gurley.

But Keenum starting is in no way an ideal scenario for the Rams. He shoulders a 38.2 QBR that is the fifth worst among quarterbacks who have attempted at least 400 passes over the past three seasons. And the guy the Rams truly want ready, of course, is Jared Goff, the first overall pick who cost an assortment of high-round draft choices for the right to select him.

Keenum hasn't forgotten that.

The line of questioning won't let him.

"I’m still batting a thousand," Keenum said. "Every interview I’ve ever done, somebody has asked [about Goff]. It is what it is. I compartmentalize it. People are going to ask what they want to ask. He was the first pick of the draft. Obviously some attention there, but I’m just going to go out and do my job. My job is to be the quarterback of this team and get the ball in the right people’s hands and convert on third downs and score points."

Psycho_X

Legend
I've become a fan of Keenum through all of this. He's in an awful position and he has been handling it very well. I would be happy if he can hold on to the starting job by playing well this season. As long as him or Goff develop into a starting QB I'll be happy. Goff obviously needs to sit for a while so Keenum at least gets a real shot in the NFL.

fearsomefour

Legend
I like Keenum as well.
Smart, determined player. A pro.
I am hoping he plays well enough to land a starting gig, either with the Rams or somewhere else.
Drafting QBs is still such a crap shoot.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
My feeling is this....I was looking at Kurt Cousins the couple weeks ago...earlier in the OTA's, he showed up after quickly signing his 1 year offer.....Dude has been in the gym, and looks rock solid....like he had something to prove...I'm sure a bunch of guys are doubting he can do what he did last year...So Cousins shows up in the best shape of his life...ready to show the world...they like that....ahahhaahahahah....I'm looking at Keenum...all soft and cushy on hard knocks....like his next trip to the gym will be his first...ready to hold on to his job? show the world he's a starter? IDK....

Deep outs, deep digs, seams & slants....these are the type of patterns...timed routes...needed to exploit defenses geared to stop a powerful running game...Is Case preparing to throw these? Or is he just enjoying his cushy gig, and can't wait to hand the keys to the car to Goff? just saying...
oh yeah, measurables guy here....

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Keenum = Jon Kitna
Goff = Carson Palmer

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Keenum = Jon Kitna
Goff = Carson Palmer

Goff= nobody in the NFL in my opinion. Not Ryan, Not Palmer, Not Brady or anyone else. He will become his own legend which is why I just don't pay much attention to comparisons.

jared-goff.jpg

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Goff= nobody in the NFL in my opinion. Not Ryan, Not Palmer, Not Brady or anyone else. He will become his own legend which is why I just don't pay much attention to comparisons.

jared-goff.jpg
Except he looks a lot like a taller Drew Brees.:whistle:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Dodger.... I'm curious in what ways does he look like Brees to you? Style of play/facial features/ personality....
Actually. His movement in the pocket. And most importantly his feet. You'll rarely see Brees standing flat footed in the pocket. Brees feet are always on the move. More so than any other qb I've seen. Goff reminds me of Brees more than any other qb.
Probably just me though.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Actually. His movement in the pocket. And most importantly his feet. You'll rarely see Brees standing flat footed in the pocket. Brees feet are always on the move. More so than any other qb I've seen. Goff reminds me of Brees more than any other qb.
Probably just me though.

A good observation @Dodgersrf.. I see some of what your eyes noticed (y)

breesrecord.gif

2014-11-3012_15_46.gif

drew-brees-to-jimmy-graham-against-san-francisco-a.gif

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

My comparison was more on the scenario then the players although Keenum & Kitna I felt were close.

maddogmrb

UDFA
Name
maddogmrb

jared-goff.jpg

We all want Goff to become a success but let's not be delusional. Right now the only thing legendary about him is that he's a #1 overall pick who's 3rd string and struggled to execute an overly simple offense in the pre-season.

In the meantime, we have Mannion who appears to be a solid backup and Keenum IS our starter and has earned it. Goff hasn't earned it. Mannion hasn't earned it. Keenum has proven that he can execute Fisher's very conservative offense in an efficient manner. What I hope is that now they start to open it up more and Keenum will show how good he really is and prove all these 'weak arm' people wrong ... yet again.

Last edited:

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
My feeling is this....I was looking at Kurt Cousins the couple weeks ago...earlier in the OTA's, he showed up after quickly signing his 1 year offer.....Dude has been in the gym, and looks rock solid....like he had something to prove...I'm sure a bunch of guys are doubting he can do what he did last year...So Cousins shows up in the best shape of his life...ready to show the world...they like that....ahahhaahahahah....I'm looking at Keenum...all soft and cushy on hard knocks....like his next trip to the gym will be his first...ready to hold on to his job? show the world he's a starter? IDK....

Deep outs, deep digs, seams & slants....these are the type of patterns...timed routes...needed to exploit defenses geared to stop a powerful running game...Is Case preparing to throw these? Or is he just enjoying his cushy gig, and can't wait to hand the keys to the car to Goff? just saying...
oh yeah, measurables guy here....
I’ve studied (Case Keenum)his 16 starts and I believe that the Rams new starter has the potential to succeed long-term.I’ve kept a close eye on Keenum pre-season. He was solid against teams that loaded the box and dared the quarterback to make quick decisions.I could tell you that I think he is going to become a good starter in the NFL – and I like his chances more than I did 4 weeks ago. Keenum may lack the great arm or size, but he has all the tools to help an offense compete every week.I like his poise,mobilty, pocket presence, reading defenses and aggressive mentality. If he can maintain those 5 qualities, he has a shot to maintain the starting job in Los Angeles (Goff better step up) for longer than this year.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
But Keenum starting is in no way an ideal scenario for the Rams. He shoulders a 38.2 QBR that is the fifth worst among quarterbacks who have attempted at least 400 passes over the past three seasons
This is the "Made-Up!!!" ESPN QBR!!! keep that in mind!:dizzy::headexplosion::puke:

I'm sure Keenum's Wife has put him thru a Great work-out with the Playbook Testing! He'll be ready!!(y);):D

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I’ve kept a close eye on Keenum pre-season. He was solid against teams that loaded the box and dared the quarterback to make quick decisions.
I watched Case a bunch too...specifically the Denver game...the "dress rehearsal" that everyone claimed was big measuring stick. I particularly took note of 3rd downs, and red-zone snaps. While we are obviously (really) going vanilla during the preseason, I found no major differences in this years 3rd down effectiveness as compared to last years team. In fact, against Denver's defense, I saw so much of what was wrong with the offense last year, that I couldn't believe they didn't wanna force feed Goff the offense and get him up to speed as a starter....My concerns...The continual check down passes...the short routes of the receivers, the conservative nature of the offense in the red-zone....settling for FG's....you know, 7-9 bullshit. I was listening to an NFL guy...he was critiquing the Denver QB after the Carolina game...About his throws...He said something along the lines how he failed to attempt a throw outside the numbers, that in time the defense will condense around that area and dare Seimian to beat them, and the running lanes will close...sounds like the same thing our offense has done for 5 years whenever Bradford wasn't in the game...Same thing I see Keenum doing...3-5 yard outs...any pass over 15 yards must be in the middle of the field...and is floating. Which in itself is dangerous to receivers, and causes them to drop the ball...Yeah, balls floating over the middle make guys drop the ball...Alligator arm complex...
Keenum looks like a great guy....nice and all...helpful...But I'd take a mean ass son of a bitch like Dan Marino any day...I'd take the pervert sex-texter like Farve any day...Hell, I'd take Jim Everett & Vince Ferragamo & Sam Bradford any day over a guy that refuses...in preseason...to take some damn chances and stretch the field.
It's a shame, in an era after the GSOT, we as fans have become so numb to terrible offensive play...It's like, every team, except US feels like 3rd and 9 is make-able....3rd & 15 is worth a try...a deep dig route...2nd & 1 is an obvious chance to take a shot downfield. I just read were Saffold says he likes 4 play drives of 80 yards...but he's referring to some long Gurley runs...not passes...
Case averaged 165 yards a game...seemed like 100...And he was happy, satisfied with his play...you know how I know that? Body language expert an all that I am? Well, he came into camp in the same shape as last year...He's making the same throws that had us punting after 3 and outs...Nothing has changed in his opinion...He's really set to be a backup QB...The worst type of backup QB is one that doesn't really want to start...The worst.

I've said this before...We should have given Mannion his reps last year...Just to see if he wants to be a career backup or maybe a starter...We should probably cut Keenum and start Mannion....if Goff really is as bad as he's looked at times...No, not his passes but the terrible turnovers...And if Mannion is a career backup, we need to cut his ass too...Get guys on the team that want to start...want to improve...Only way to get better at that position...

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
We all want Goff to become a success but let's not be delusional. Right now the only thing legendary about him is that he's a #1 overall pick who's 3rd string and struggled to execute an overly simple offense in the pre-season.

In the meantime, we have Mannion who appears to be a solid backup and Keenum IS our starter and has earned it. Goff hasn't earned it. Mannion hasn't earned it. Keenum has proven that he can execute Fisher's very conservative offense in an efficient manner. What I hope is that now they start to open it up more and Keenum will show how good he really is and prove all these 'weak arm' people wrong ... yet again.

Nobody is delusional maddog.. The post simply stated he will make his own legend and the preface was for me he doesn't much resemble any one single quarterback other than small glimpses like the foot work of Brees which Dodger pointed out. His legendary status clearly doesn't even begin until he's had a few seasons under his belt as the starter.

LEGEND- a non-historical or unverifiable story handed down by tradition from earlier times and popularly accepted as historical.

The key word here is historical and he has no history as a starting NFL QB. His legend may end up being nothing special or it might be amazing. Until he gets on the field and starts there is no legend and there is nothing legendary about him yet.

Legends-of-tomorrow-promo-pics-preview-768574.gif

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I watched Case a bunch too...specifically the Denver game...the "dress rehearsal" that everyone claimed was big measuring stick. I particularly took note of 3rd downs, and red-zone snaps. While we are obviously (really) going vanilla during the preseason, I found no major differences in this years 3rd down effectiveness as compared to last years team. In fact, against Denver's defense, I saw so much of what was wrong with the offense last year, that I couldn't believe they didn't wanna force feed Goff the offense and get him up to speed as a starter....My concerns...The continual check down passes...the short routes of the receivers, the conservative nature of the offense in the red-zone....settling for FG's....you know, 7-9 bullcrap. I was listening to an NFL guy...he was critiquing the Denver QB after the Carolina game...About his throws...He said something along the lines how he failed to attempt a throw outside the numbers, that in time the defense will condense around that area and dare Seimian to beat them, and the running lanes will close...sounds like the same thing our offense has done for 5 years whenever Bradford wasn't in the game...Same thing I see Keenum doing...3-5 yard outs...any pass over 15 yards must be in the middle of the field...and is floating. Which in itself is dangerous to receivers, and causes them to drop the ball...Yeah, balls floating over the middle make guys drop the ball...Alligator arm complex...
Keenum looks like a great guy....nice and all...helpful...But I'd take a mean ass son of a bitch like Dan Marino any day...I'd take the pervert sex-texter like Farve any day...Hell, I'd take Jim Everett & Vince Ferragamo & Sam Bradford any day over a guy that refuses...in preseason...to take some damn chances and stretch the field.
It's a shame, in an era after the GSOT, we as fans have become so numb to terrible offensive play...It's like, every team, except US feels like 3rd and 9 is make-able....3rd & 15 is worth a try...a deep dig route...2nd & 1 is an obvious chance to take a shot downfield. I just read were Saffold says he likes 4 play drives of 80 yards...but he's referring to some long Gurley runs...not passes...
Case averaged 165 yards a game...seemed like 100...And he was happy, satisfied with his play...you know how I know that? Body language expert an all that I am? Well, he came into camp in the same shape as last year...He's making the same throws that had us punting after 3 and outs...Nothing has changed in his opinion...He's really set to be a backup QB...The worst type of backup QB is one that doesn't really want to start...The worst.

I've said this before...We should have given Mannion his reps last year...Just to see if he wants to be a career backup or maybe a starter...We should probably cut Keenum and start Mannion....if Goff really is as bad as he's looked at times...No, not his passes but the terrible turnovers...And if Mannion is a career backup, we need to cut his ass too...Get guys on the team that want to start...want to improve...Only way to get better at that position...
giphy.gif