Rams QB Austin Davis set to battle for spot again/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams quarterback Austin Davis set to battle for spot again
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ack-austin-davis-set-to-battle-for-spot-again

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Before St. Louis Rams quarterback Austin Davis had a chance to stop and take stock of his changing surroundings, new offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti did the work for him.

Sitting in a Rams quarterback meeting room that underwent major renovations during the offseason, Davis found himself in the middle of a sea change featuring a new coordinator in Cignetti, a new position coach in Chris Weinke and three new teammates.

Heading into his fourth NFL season, Davis is in the new position of being the lone quarterback holdover from a season ago.

"It’s nice to be the one constant, I guess," Davis said. "We were in a meeting and coach Cig called me the veteran and I was just like kind of blown away. I guess that’s how fast it happens. We just keep putting one year on top of another and next thing you know, you are considered a veteran, I guess. It is a different feel but every year is different. We all have a role to play and I’m trying to do my best to figure out what that role is going to be for me and how I can help the team."

While Davis remains as the constant in the room, his standing with the Rams during the forthcoming preseason hasn't changed much. Which is to say that Davis will once again be in the middle of a heated competition for a roster spot when training camp begins in July. That's been Davis' status quo since he came to the Rams as an undrafted free agent in 2012 out of Southern Mississippi.

In that first season, Davis squeezed his way onto the roster out of training camp, then spent 15 of 16 games on the pregame inactive list behind starter Sam Bradford and backup Kellen Clemens. Davis again was slotted behind Clemens in 2013 but found his way back to the team after Bradford's first knee injury.

Last year, when it appeared Davis was something of a long shot to make the team, he again earned his way on to the roster, beating out rookie Garrett Gilbert for the No. 3 job and moving up to No. 2 after Bradford suffered another injury. This time, Davis actually got meaningful playing time, starting eight games and throwing for 2,001 yards, 12 touchdowns and nine interceptions in leading the team to a 3-5 record.

Even with some production and experience under his belt, there's no doubt Davis is once again going to have to earn his spot in a presumptive battle against Case Keenum for the primary backup job behind Nick Foles.

“It’s going to be good," coach Jeff Fisher said. "We’ve got to get Nick the reps, but we’re going to try to balance the reps out and just see what happens. Austin and Case have both won games in the league, so I think it will be a good battle.”

With Foles entrenched as the starter and the Rams apparently willing to sign him to a contract extension, and rookie Sean Mannion joining the mix as a third-round pick, there's likely only one job available. Mannion isn't expected to be able to handle backup duties right away, which leaves Davis and a returning Keenum to battle it out.

The Rams thought enough of Keenum to trade a 2016 seventh-round pick to reacquire him after he spent part of 2014 with the team, but they also thought enough of Davis to extend a restricted free agent tender offer that will compensate him at the same level as Foles.

Even as the last quarterback standing from a year ago, Davis still doesn't have the job security of a player with that status. But he remains unfazed by yet another challenge.

"The way I see it every year there is always competition," Davis said. "Every year there are four quarterbacks here and all four of them can play. The decision makers will make the decision at the end. All I can do is really prepare and try to play my best ball."

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
For those of you who enjoy history Austin Davis reminds me somewhat of Jerry Goldsteyn a QB back in the late 70's and 80's. Now Davis is better than Goldsteyn, but Goldsteyn was a world beater in preseason and back then they played six preseason games.

Goldsteyn played very well as a rookie back in 1977 and won the job briefly with the New York Giants and then 5 years later worked his preseason magic once again to start for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1983.

Everyone feels that the Rams will kick Davis to the curb as Keenum will beat him out, but not so fast, if Davis gets time in preseason he might work his magic once again and send Case packing, if he even gets the chance.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I like AD and would have no issue at all with him being the #2. He had some heartbreaking throws last year, but over all I thought the offense clicked more with him than Shaun Hill...and even Bradford to a degree. The kid was able to put up some point out there.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Damn, bet it's gonna shock Davis if the only "veteran" QB on the roster is cut...

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
I've seen 3 Rams football games live in my life. Austin Davis was under center in the only game we won. Go figure.

Sure he's wild and can get rattled.

I'm glad I'm not a decision maker, because I'd love for the script to play out with him taking us to the promise land. Seems like his mojo plummeted when Brian Quick went down....(maybe my memory /timing of events is off)

I'll also wonder- what if it was he instead of Shawn Hill under center for the Broncos beat down- just maybe things would have been different. Maybe a young QB having a part in a P.Manning Stomping would have triggered a malignant form of inoperable confidence cancer.

At the 21-0 lead on cowboys, I was convinced he was our next Kurt.
I imagine Charlie Sheen running out of Crack Cocaine correlates to our "crash" that came next.

Austin Davis: Whatever happens....thanks for the brief moments of belief last year. Keep working hard. Don't give up.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Don't really care who wins the #2 QB, I just hope they never see the field.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
nothing agaist Davis, but i'm hoping Case at #2, with Mannion as 3
train

Pretty much this. I admire a LOT about Davis, but his arm strength is a big limit to this, or any, offense.

It will take an injury for him to make this roster.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Davis ready to compete for spot with Rams
By Nate Latsch

http://www.scout.com/nfl/rams/story/1559517-davis-ready-to-compete-for-spot-with-rams

The faces in the St. Louis Rams’ quarterbacks room have changed quite a bit over the past few months, with Sam Bradford and Shaun Hill departing, Nick Foles and Sean Mannion entering and Case Keenum making a surprise reappearance. The only constant has been Austin Davis, who is once again battling for a reserve role.

“We were in a meeting and Coach Cig (offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti) called me the veteran and I was just kind of blown away,” Davis said after an OTA practice session. “I guess that’s how fast it happens. You just keep putting one year on top of the other and next thing you know you’re considered a veteran. I guess. I guess that’s how it works. It is a different feel but every year is different and we all have a role to play and I’m trying to do my best to figure out what that role’s gonna be for me and how I can help the team.”

A year ago, Davis seemed to be the odd-man out in the quarterback mix behind Bradford, Hill and rookie sixth-round draft pick Garrett Gilbert. But then Bradford got hurt, again, and Davis made the most of his opportunities in the preseason to earn the spot behind Hill.

Then when Hill got hurt in the season opening loss to the Minnesota Vikings, Davis performed well enough to become the starting quarterback for eight games until Jeff Fisher opted to go back to the veteran Hill for the remainder of the season.

Asked what he gained last season, with the ups and the downs of his first experience playing in regular-season NFL games, Davis said it was all a positive.

“Honestly I think it’s all good because it’s all experience,” he said. “I think you learn more from your mistakes than you do from what you do well, so it’s just a matter of building on those experiences and trying to become better.”

The 26-year-old is back with the Rams in 2015 after going into the offseason as a restricted free agent. St. Louis shook up the position by trading for both Foles and Keenum and then drafting Mannion in the third round out of Oregon State, which means that once again Davis will be competing for a backup spot going into training camp and the preseason.

Foles is the starter. Mannion may be the future. That leaves Davis and Keenum battling for the backup spot on the roster.

“The way I see it, every year there is always competition,” Davis said. “Every year there’s four quarterbacks here and all four of them can play quarterback. The decision makers will make the decision at the end. All I can do is really prepare and play my best ball.”

Davis showed he could play last season.

In 10 games he completed 63.4 percent of his passes for 2,001 yards, with 12 touchdowns against nine interceptions, and a QB rating of 85.1. He threw for 327 yards and three touchdowns in a loss to the Dallas Cowboys and then put up 375 yards passing and three touchdowns the next game against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Davis led the Rams to win against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Seattle Seahawks and San Francisco 49ers but went 3-5 overall.

The Rams thought enough of Davis to bring him back for another season, but they also liked Keenum enough to trade a seventh-round draft pick to re-acquire him after his brief time with them in 2014.

So the two will go into training camp trying to win a job and how they perform in the Rams’ preseason games could make the difference.

“I think anytime you get on the field you want to play well,” Davis said. “I think the preseason — especially every year when you’re competing for a backup position — the preseason is very important, because that is your time to play. Ultimately, if all things go well, you want to be a backup and Nick to stay healthy and him play all year. As a team guy that’s what you want.”

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
I would like to see Davis kept around for one more year on the practice squad. He showed some glimpses of his talent last year but not enough to convince me he's ready for the big time. To me he did enough to be kept around as a developmental project. He's going into his fifth year though. If he's going to put it together he better do it fast. He might be able to stick around the league as a career backup if he doesn't make it with the Rams. Might.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I'm just hoping that our backup QB,,, regardless of who it is,,, only comes in for mop up duties at the end of blow outs this year.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hope Mannion outperforms Davis, he has more upside.

The battle will be between Davis and Keenum for QB2. Loser will be released. Mannion will be QB3 unless he is horrible beyond description in training camp. It will be a learning year for him and hopefully he won't have to play this season.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I like Keenum a little more than Davis, but this is a no-win situation IMO.
Once again, we're forced to bank on our starting QB staying healthy all year.

RamWoodie

Legend
I like Davis! He's gritty and gutsy. He can win the #2 job. He learned a lot last year and overall he played well too. His youth showed at crunch time in a few games though...that's what he has to overcome.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
nice kid. but i believe about half of those turnovers were returned for touchdowns. his throwing mechanics are awful and he thought he was Brett Favre out there slinging it to Quick and Co. before teams figured him out then just shit the bed. fix his throwing mechanics and mindset and we'll see

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Say what you like about Davis but it was great fun watching him play. He has an infectious enthusiasm for the game and would say all the right things in interviews. He deserves to be in the league for a long time and I believe he can be.