Rams putting rookie O-linemen Havenstein, Brown right to work/AP

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams putting rookie O-linemen Havenstein, Brown right to work

http://www.foxsports.com/midwest/st...b-havenstein-jamon-brown-right-to-work-080315

ST. LOUIS -- The St. Louis Rams plan to open the season with a pair of rookie offensive linemen playing side by side. Tackle Rob Havenstein and guard Jamon Brown must be quick learners and make the gamble pay off.

Last year, the Rams had one rookie on the line. Tackle Greg Robinson was the second overall pick of the draft, so it was no surprise they cleared some space.

This summer, it's a lot different. Left guard Rodger Saffold is the lone veteran returning starter, and the center will come from a group of backups.

Coach Jeff Fisher said he'd been interested in drafting a new crop of offensive linemen since he arrived in St. Louis, and the Rams went all-in this May. They took Havenstein in the second round, Brown in the third, tackle Andrew Donnal in the fourth, guard Cody Wichmann in the sixth and tackle Isaiah Battle as a supplemental fifth-rounder before the start of training camp.

"It's an area we needed to focus on, it's an area we expect to be good for a long time," Fisher said. "We have no concern about starting young people up front.

"If they are playing, they're ready to play."

Saffold has 60 career starts, Robinson has 12 and center Tim Barnes has four. That's it. Center Barrett Jones has appeared in 10 career games and Demetrius Rhaney, who was on injured reserve all last summer, has yet to make his debut.

For Havenstein, the opportunity is "pretty awesome." Brown said it's an "honor" to get this shot.

"We made it a point to make sure we weren't giving up negative plays or mistakes because we didn't know what we were doing," Havenstein said. "We made it an emphasis during OTAs and during our break to know the ins and outs."

So far, the expanded NFL playbook has not been information overload.

"Myself and Rob, we've been putting in the work to make sure we don't let anybody down," Brown said. "For the most part I'm grasping the system pretty well."

Both players have extensive college experience.

The 6-foot-7, 321-pound Havenstein played in a school-record 54 games at Wisconsin, including 41 consecutive starts at right tackle to end his career. He was part of a unit that produced two of the three best single-season rushing totals in school history, including a 320-yard average last year.

The 6-3, 323-pound Brown allowed two sacks at right tackle last year at Louisville. The Cardinals averaged 461 yards and scored 30 or more points nine times, and were more air-oriented.

Facing a defense that amassed 40 sacks the last 11 games gives the duo a taste in practices of what's to come. That unit is led by end Robert Quinn and tackle Aaron Donald, the NFC Defensive Rookie of the Year.

"Obviously, we have a veteran group of defense linemen and they're saying, 'These guys are going to be good,'" Fisher said. "Coming from those guys, that's pretty impressive."

The Rams are likely to emphasize ball control, especially when first-round running back Todd Gurley is ready to play coming off left knee surgery.

"I don't think anything has been too eye-opening," Havenstein said. "Obviously, the guys are bigger and faster and the playbook might be more complex, but it's still ball."

About half the team put on pads for the first time with a spirited special teams practice Monday morning. The full squad practices in pads Tuesday.

"We kind of liven it up the last 20 minutes and see who can bang and battle," special teams coach John Fassel said.

RamWoodie

Legend
I like this Havenstein kid...because he's a Big Ten product and he came from Wisconsin. The big Ten is know for OLiners!

He has excellent size too...give him a shot!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
A couple of road graders on the right side. But the left side is where the run blocking might be strongest. Robinson and Saffold are fully capable of opening big holes. If Havenstein and Brown are that good, we could have good balance on both sides. Once they have some games under their belts and Gurley is 100 percent, we could have one heckuva running attack.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Bielema likely recruited & coached Havenstein, one of the best o-line coaches in the NCAA.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Can't wait to see these guys mashing the NFCW. Ball control, no turn overs and beat down the opposition. Win the games in the 4th quarter by RAMing it down their throats!!!

jjab360

Legend
Loving a lot of what I'm seeing and hearing from these two guys. Rams definitely did their HW here and if one of the 3 C's can step up their game, I think we might be pleasantly surprised what our O-line looks like a month from now.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
They will still need other Ds at least pay attention to play action..If they do that, the running game has a chance to be very, very good...Of course, I no longer believe any hype until I see some on the field success...I do feel better about this season than I have in quite some time...No really be too long till we begin to find out...

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Our line is HUGE now and I love it, and hopefully these guys catch on quickly. Yea, we have questions at center and lack experience, but we had to rid the line old, washed-up, injury-prone players. In my (optimistic) opinion, our centers this year will at least hold on until next year, where we can draft a stud starter and quality depth.

WestCoastRam

Legend
What's crazy is that I do believe these guys can be good but I think they'll struggle initially... BUT... all they need to be is better than what we had last year... I'm not sure them struggling isn't as good as we had last year and if they improve over the season... then damn.

(That being said, I don't like having two guys on that side of the line who will hit a wall 10 games in ala the rookie syndrome.)

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Not concerned about the running game whatsoever that plays to their strength, but I do have some concerns with pass blocking. Havenstein graded out well at the senior bowl and Brown should be better in pass protection in the phone booth, but they need the reps and preseason is where it will start.