Rams probably two players away.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
We gave you Selvie and Sam and you let em go,not giving you anything more until you learn not to be wasteful

Did the Cowboys get rid of Selvie? I thought he was still on the team and doing really well for them? Personally, I wish the Rams still had him! I will admit that I am a little biased since I live in Florida and he played at a local high school and at South Florida!

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Does anyone really think Fisher is going to start 2 rookie OL on day 1? GRob was the #2 pick in the draft last year, and he didn't start until what, the 4th or 5th game.(??)

It wouldn't entirely surprise me if those 2 (or some combo of OL) are the Rams first couple selections, but it would shock me if both were day 1 starters. IMO, that's being WAY too optimistic.
But Robinson wasn't ready, it was well known that he did not pass protect much at Auburn and he was "Raw"; that and he had trouble picking up the playbook, learning two positions probably didn't help.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Did the Cowboys get rid of Selvie? I thought he was still on the team and doing really well for them? Personally, I wish the Rams still had him! I will admit that I am a little biased since I live in Florida and he played at a local high school and at South Florida!
Last I heard he was an URFA and looking for a contract,could be a Viking anytime.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
We gave you Selvie and Sam and you let em go,not giving you anything more until you learn not to be wasteful
We only took Sam to do the NFL a favor and to deflect attention away from the scandalous pics of Jerruh with some young hoes. Haha.

FrankenRam

Starter
But Robinson wasn't ready, it was well known that he did not pass protect much at Auburn and he was "Raw"; that and he had trouble picking up the playbook, learning two positions probably didn't help.

That's true. But.....it was also WIDELY touted/accepted that GRob all but walked on water as a prospect. So, if any 'raw' prospect might have been expected to be ready to start day 1, it would seem someone like him would be a reasonable candidate to do so.

And look at some of the other highly touted rookies in recent times. Some in STL wanted the Rams to take Jake Matthews last yr instead of GRob because it was felt he was more 'pro ready'. And I heard more than 1 report last yr that he was struggling at times.

And while it's possible they could grab 2 OL in their first couple picks in this draft who would be day 1 ready starters, I wouldn't pin my hopes on that. It would be the exception, not the rule.

Better hope they resign Barksdale and at least one other FA lineman cuz counting on 2 rookie OL to start out of the gate is wishful thinking.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
If they stay healthy .... They can play with anyone.

But yeah - it's time to get some beef up front.
I see Guard: Connelly still out there from N.E., got couple years on him but great line play. Guard: Rackley from Ravens another very good line.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
3. We still need a guard, a center, and a tackle. Unless Barrett Jones started doing roids in the offseason. We're still 3 players away, and they're all on the offensive line. That's a pretty big hole, especially in this division.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
That's true. But.....it was also WIDELY touted/accepted that GRob all but walked on water as a prospect. So, if any 'raw' prospect might have been expected to be ready to start day 1, it would seem someone like him would be a reasonable candidate to do so.

And look at some of the other highly touted rookies in recent times. Some in STL wanted the Rams to take Jake Matthews last yr instead of GRob because it was felt he was more 'pro ready'. And I heard more than 1 report last yr that he was struggling at times.

And while it's possible they could grab 2 OL in their first couple picks in this draft who would be day 1 ready starters, I wouldn't pin my hopes on that. It would be the exception, not the rule.

Better hope they resign Barksdale and at least one other FA lineman cuz counting on 2 rookie OL to start out of the gate is wishful thinking.
Matthews had to switch from RT to LT almost as soon as the season began. Also he had injury issues to play through. It's also acceptable for rookies to struggle, almost all rookies struggle. What is not acceptable is when your veteran FA guard and center blow assignment after assignment. Starting two rookie lineman isn't exactly "wishful" thinking, but is definitely an option we might explore.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
That's a big one. Open up the year and shown the NFL you mean business. Two years in a row the Rams have been favorites to be a dark horse team, and two years in a row they've come out flat.

Yep, we're always "The team to watch" and after game 1 we're the butt of the joke again... THIS is what I want to see changed.

I've noticed that too. They definitely play better after the first 5-6 games. Part of that last year, might be due to the fact that the defense was still learning the Williams system. But this is something that has to be corrected if we're going to make the playoffs

I hope it was that, but it doesn't excuse the previous year...

What we need to do is not only live up to the hype, but blow everything out of the water, hit 'em hard and hit 'em fast, I want to see our defence force fumbles, intercept, I want to see us return punts, then let the Offense march down field to an easy 7 points, after all thats the only way we can win games, it's not necessarily being the better team, just outscoring the opposition :sneaky::cool:(y)

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
3. We still need a guard, a center, and a tackle. Unless Barrett Jones started doing roids in the offseason. We're still 3 players away, and they're all on the offensive line. That's a pretty big hole, especially in this division.

The cool wind of reason here. We're really going to have to hit on our draft picks.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
The cool wind of reason here. We're really going to have to hit on our draft picks.

Think we need to resign Joe for sure. Don't want to go into next year with rookies on the outside and Robinsons still learning. Then I would like to sign a solid player at center, but I doubt they do that. At the very least we need a vet for depth and to fill in if one of the guys drafted can't play right away.

fearsomefour

Legend
JL's CAP hit jumps dramatically in 2016 & 2017, but 2015 is quite reasonable. We may be another season from moving away from him. jmo.
His salary cap number dipping dramatically may lead to him sticking around a bit. It becomes production vs value vs other needs.

fearsomefour

Legend
I agree we are two players away:
5199372210x168.JPG
Rich-Saul2.jpg
If only....

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If we are just two players away then these two UNKNOWN players must be some talent!

Currently this Rams team has one big serious weak unit...as we all know its the OL it was weak before Fisher arrived & it was weak in 2012, 2013, 2014 & even weaker now in 2015.

Rams OL has also been the most Unluckiest units since Fisher arrived in injuries. So now not only is the 2015 OL weaker in than in previous seasons its been plagued with constant ongoing injuries events. This not a good combo here.

I would have to say that the seven (7) injuries in 2014 were down some (OLT-Long/knee, OLG-Saffold/shoulder-surgery, OC-Wells/illness& elbow, OC Rhaney/knee, OC Jones/back surgery, OC Barnes/Shoulder 2x's & Robinson/toe surgery).

Fisher currently does not have a legitimate starting ORT or OLG on his roster. Many here feel the same way about the starting center post too. Fisher also does not have a back up critical Swing OT either. I am not good in math but I count FOUR.

FrankenRam

Starter
Matthews had to switch from RT to LT almost as soon as the season began. Also he had injury issues to play through. It's also acceptable for rookies to struggle, almost all rookies struggle. What is not acceptable is when your veteran FA guard and center blow assignment after assignment. Starting two rookie lineman isn't exactly "wishful" thinking, but is definitely an option we might explore.

I highly suspect Nick Foles, and every NFL QB who's ever played, would disagree with that logic. If they're gettin' hammered due to inefficient OL play, somehow I doubt they're bodies are going to feel any different whether it's because a rookie or a vet blew an assignment.

It may be expected that rookies will be more prone to making such mistakes. But it's no less acceptable. And is exactly why it's not uncommon for rookies to sit for a while, and why I highly doubt Jeff Fisher will consider starting 2 rookie OL as an option he'll explore.

As I said originally, it could happen. But I'd bet every ROD $$ I currently have and, every one I may earn between now & the time the regular season opens, that it won't happen.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just a cautionary thought.... Foles has never faced this type of defense(s) six games a year (particularly their rush). We tend to forget just how dominate these defenses have been the last 3 or 4 years in the NFC West.

You (as a QB) can put up numbers in the NFC East. There was only one defense Giants (NFC E) that was dominate in those years. How may times did the schedule have them playing the other dominant defenses (Panthers, or Lions). Not many.

All I am saying is that Foles (and the Rams OL) will have to significantly up there offensive game. It is not a given or slam dunk that they will.

HOPE they do... but.

I know I saw it somewhere but can't find it now... but someone compiled Foles stats against all the NFC West opponents he'd played and it was not pretty.

I seriously don't know what to expect in 2015.

New OC... new QB Coach... new QB... but that Oline remains a big question mark for me. I have always believed that the game is won and lost in the trenches.... Lord knows, we have one trench down solid... but that other one remains open and, until they address that in a meaningful way, I'm going to be nervous.

Every year, after the season ends (especially if it ends poorly) I figure there won't be much to get excited about next year... but then free agency hits and the draft... and... sucked in again :)

It is/will be exciting to see what happens... but I'm not ready to make any bold predictions.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Get a free agent guard or center - draft Amari Cooper - hit on one more lineman in the draft and we are in with a great chance of playoffs...

But then again - its March and every team in the league has a shot at the playoffs at this point.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
.....draft Amari Cooper - hit on one more lineman in the draft and we are in with a great chance of playoffs...

After you select that WR with that first round pick ...can you name me any Fisher hit on any OL'er not selected in the first round?

Looks like you maybe be putting some serious pressure on Fisher here...cause the Fisher has no track record of being able to do that. Whats makes you think he can if he has been unable to do that the past three drafts?