Rams Probably Need to Eye More TE Depth in the Draft/PFF

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams Probably Need to Eye More TE Depth in the Draft

The Rams are woefully thin at tight end right now. PFF shows some options for them come draft day, with a handful of names they might want to target.

[www.profootballfocus.com]

PFF ANALYSIS TEAM

After the Los Angeles Rams hired Sean McVay, they released their longest-tenured TE, Lance Kendricks. The Rams’ only listed TE with any receptions is Tyler Higbee, who saw just 26 targets in 2016, catching 11.

Since 2015, McVay’s offense in Washington targeted the TEs in the slot 80 times, which resulted in 58 catches for 620 yards and five touchdowns.

2016 saw Washington’s TEs targeted 18 times on deep passes 20-plus yards down the field, third-most in the league. Those targets went for nine catches and 273 yards.

McVay’s offense targeted TEs 148 times in 2016. In 2016, Evan Engram led the draft class with 92 targets. Gerald Everett was fourth with 75, David Njoku was seventh with 69, and Michael Roberts was 11th with 64.

Engram, Njoku, and Everett were all in the top five for yards per route ran in 2016, with Engram leading the draft class with 2.59, followed by Njoku with 2.34, and Everett rounding out the top five with 2.31.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
McVay has only one veteran TE who is Cory Harkey 6-4/260 entering his 6th NFL season. McVay was fast to cut starting veteran TE & former 2nd round selection Lance Kendricks when he arrived. Snead invested in two selections on the third day of last seasons draft with Tyler Higbee & Temarrick Hemingway. Both are suppose to have solid NFL potential talent. Higbee played his rookie season with constant nagging injuries. Snead also picked up in line TE Bryce Williams a 6-6 270 pound TE who was signed originally by the NE Pats. Snead inserted this big TE on the Rams PS the rest of the 2016 season. In this off season McVay signed ex QB Travis Wilson a 6-7 233 pounder.

So currently the Rams have five TE's on the roster. Two first season TE's & two second season TE's with one veteran. TE position would seem to have some space for an additional player from this upcoming week draft. McVay as we know likes to use two TE sets and sometimes even with a FB. So I would expect some incoming talent for-sure.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
After reading what Boni wrote....I don't think we have room for another TE.....Unless we plan on cutting one we drafted last year....or Harkey.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I really like Williams. Think he's a good possibility to be the "surprise" player who comes out of nowhere to help us out. He isn't fast, but has everything else I like in a TE. And again I'm more of a fan of the big bodied guys with sure hands who play smart. I like the TEs who are heavy, kind of guys DBs have a hard time trucking over the middle. We don't need big plays from that position to be successful, chain movers would be great there for now.

But yeah, I just don't feel like TE at 37 is a good idea. Not gonna whine if it happens, but I'd prefer to see a wideout if they feel they gotta go offense there.

Ram65

Legend
McVay has only one veteran TE who is Cory Harkey 6-4/260 entering his 6th NFL season. McVay was fast to cut starting veteran TE & former 2nd round selection Lance Kendricks when he arrived. Snead invested in two selections on the third day of last seasons draft with Tyler Higbee & Temarrick Hemingway. Both are suppose to have solid NFL potential talent. Higbee played his rookie season with constant nagging injuries. Snead also picked up in line TE Bryce Williams a 6-6 270 pound TE who was signed originally by the NE Pats. Snead inserted this big TE on the Rams PS the rest of the 2016 season. In this off season McVay signed ex QB Travis Wilson a 6-7 233 pounder.

So currently the Rams have five TE's on the roster. Two first season TE's & two second season TE's with one veteran. TE position would seem to have some space for an additional player from this upcoming week draft. McVay as we know likes to use two TE sets and sometimes even with a FB. So I would expect some incoming talent for-sure.

With the above five on the Rams roster I'm not sure what the Rams have nor exactly what they are thinking when it comes to TEs. Harkey is really a blocker with little target throws around 5 yards from the line of scrimmage. Hemingway is a catching TE but hasn't shown anything. He needed to work on his blocking skills as a rookie. Higbee got some rookie playing time and should be ready in year two to show the potential as a duel catching and blocking TE. Williams and Wilson have to show something to make the team. All in all there are lot's of question marks. It's a nice TE class. Rams could be in the market for a TE in any round.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think we'll take another TE. Bryce Williams was interesting to see here. I liked him last year as a late round guy. Thought he could be a solid #2 or #3 TE for a team. Big body with the size/strength to block who catches the ball really well.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think we'll take another TE. Bryce Williams was interesting to see here. I liked him last year as a late round guy. Thought he could be a solid #2 or #3 TE for a team.

I concur Rams will add another TE and Harkey, Hemingway, Williams and even former Utah QB Trevor Wilson 6'7 will battle for the 3rd and 4th TE. Harkey could be in trouble because although a very good blocker does not offer much down the field whereas the others are more conventional Tight Ends with the exception of Wilson of course.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I concur Rams will add another TE and Harkey, Hemingway, Williams and even former Utah QB Trevor Wilson 6'7 will battle for the 3rd and 4th TE. Harkey could be in trouble because although a very good blocker does not offer much down the field whereas the others are more conventional Tight Ends with the exception of Wilson of course.

I think Harkey sticks. We don't have another guy on the roster who can block like him.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think Harkey sticks. We don't have another guy on the roster who can block like him.

I agree love his blocking and when thrown to, he's actually done well, but in McVay's offense there is no H-back so Harkey will be on the line of scrimmage, which will be an adjustment.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree love his blocking and when thrown to, he's actually done well, but in McVay's offense there is no H-back so Harkey will be on the line of scrimmage, which will be an adjustment.

He played some on the LOS during Fisher's time here. Like I said, I think McVay will value having him as a blocker in three TE sets.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm a "BPA" kind of guy when it comes to the Draft! And there are a lot of really talented TE's in this Draft! But with no 1st Round pick, weighing in our Team needs! I don't know that TE is that high in MY pecking order!!

I think the order of preference should be: WR - LB - CB - O-Line! Considering the Rams Off-Season moves so far!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
After reading what Boni wrote....I don't think we have room for another TE.....Unless we plan on cutting one we drafted last year....or Harkey.
My thoughts here is McVay was weighing Kendricks vs Harkey as to which of the two would go & end up bringing in some cap relief & Harkey won. Both were similar but its obvious to most of us that Harkey is the better blocker period. Harkey is sure not to bring joy to McVay with his quickness or down the seam middle catches bit is had had his moments on the swing outside passes & the rumblings there after. Harley is a big load for a DB to take down.

In 2016 Fisher & his OC basically wrote Harkey out of the offense in 2016. Sad bad mistake in my estimations. We saw the results in the run blocking. I believe that Higbee & Hemingway have the talents & skills to add to the pass receiving offense if utilized by McVay (I believe that's why Lance was cut so fast). Harkey has demonstrated in the past he can do the heavy lifting blocking when used. I am convinced that the veteran Harkey will make the master roster. His only threat would be the bigger taller Bryce Williams.

At the moment, our five TE's average out to be 6-6 @ 252 pounds so a short quicker FB/Move/H-Back type could be in our future.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
As far as value/talent/need i like Everett in this class. IMO he can possibly be had with our 3rd rd pick after the more hyped TE's go in the first couple rds.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Higbee
Everett
Harkey
Williams

Gives you all you need at TE