Rams preview in the eyes of a Chargers fan

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
With training camp underway, and pre-season right around the corner, we inch our way closer to the start of the regular season and continue our opponent preview of each team the San Diego Chargers will face this year. They have all made different moves in order to improve their rosters, and this series will help you become more familiar with each opponent.

In other words, KNOW YOUR ENEMY...

More Opponent Previews: Arizona Cardinals | Seattle Seahawks | Buffalo Bills |Jacksonville Jaguars | New York Jets | Miami Dolphins

The St. Louis Rams enter the 2014 season with hopes of improving off of a 7-9 record a year ago, as Sam Bradford enters his fifth season, and what looks to be a make-or-break year for the quarterback. Playing in a division that had three teams win 10-or-more games won't make things easier, but the quality additions to their roster should help.

St. Louis wasn't a big player in free-agency, with their biggest addition coming in the way of Kenny Britt, a former pupil of Jeff Fischer in Tennessee. The Rams used this year's draft to improve, with 11 picks at their disposal.

Greg Robinson, a player many experts have penned as the next Orlando Pace, should help solidify their offensive line, while their other first-rounder, Aaron Donald, has the potential to make what is already a ferocious defensive line, consisting of Chris Long and Robert Quinn, into one of the best in the league.

Playing in the NFC West, the Rams won only one divisional game last year, while beating six teams from other divisions, two of which were playoff teams. Their additions should make them a more competitive team, but much of their season hinges on the success of their quarterback.

Free-Agency
Additions: Shaun Hill, Alex Carrington, Kenny Britt

Losses: Cortland Finnegan, Kellen Clemens, Chris Williams

Draft
2. Greg Robinson OT Auburn
13. Aaron Donald DT Pitt
41. Lamarcus Joyner DB FSU
75. Tre Mason RB Auburn
110. Mo Alexander S Utah State
188. E.J. Gaines CB Missouri
214. Garrett Gilbert QB SMU
226. Mitchell Van Dyk OT Portland State
241. C.B. Bryant DB Ohio State
249. Michael Sam DE Missouri
250. Demetrius Rhaney C Tennessee State

The Rodger Saffold situation played out in the Rams' favor, but losing Chris Williamson their offensive line might hurt, as Williams started all 16 games last year. Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson will be expected to hold down the secondary, but the depth behind them will be a concern, with these two now the veteran leaders of this group, as both enter only their 3rd year in the pros.

Reports out of Rams' training camp have many excited about their new additions, as Donald has been "unreal" thus far, while Britt has been getting lots of cheers from the fans with his exciting plays. Cornerbacks EJ Gaines and former FSU star Greg Reid have also stood out in camp, while Robinson has been getting reps at left tackle and guard while Jake Long recovers from off-season surgery.

The Rams could be a team that surprise many, as they went 4-5 last year after Bradford tore his ACL, but the quality talent they added should help them contend, especially against their NFC West rivals.

Health could be a concern for the Rams entering this week 12 match-up, as St. Louis will be wrapping-up a tough stretch in their schedule, having to face the Seahawks, 49ers(twice), Chiefs, Cardinals, and Broncos in consecutive weeks before they face the Chargers. Along with their bye-week coming in week four, the physical brand of football the Rams play could be paying it's toll by the time this game is played.

The Chargers will have a different situation coming into this game. With their bye-week in week 10, and the next two games in San Diego, they will not have to travel for three consecutive weeks following their week 9 game in Miami, which could really help the Bolts as they prepare for their toughest part of their schedule, which includes four playoff teams from last year in their final five games this season.

The Rams will look to get the ball more to Tavon Austin, as he enters his second year and looks to improve, while his Chargers' counterpart, Keenan Allen, looks to do the same. However, with each team's quarterback in different echelons, Allen and the rest of the wide receivers might have the advantage against a pass defense that ranked 19th in yards allowed last year.

Both teams have run-based offenses, so the key for either team winning may depend on how the running backs perform. Zac Stacy rushed for 973 yards and 7 TD's in 14 games in his rookie year, and now looks to be the focal point of their offense, while the Chargers should still rely on their rushing attack for much of their offensive success.

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2014/7/30/5949247/2014-chargers-opponents-preview-st-louis-rams

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
"Cornerbacks EJ Gaines and former FSU star Greg Reid have also stood out in camp" Not too sure about this line, or where he's getting his information from, but this is news for me.

RK3

Professional Lurker
Name
Russ
Not very insightful. But if this is how much they know, I'm good with it.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

Exactly, I just like to know what our opponents think about us. I'm not sure if some of the the stuff was just made up...or if he got bogus information from someone.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Can't really expect other fans to know our team. Like I know very little about the Chargers. It's a decent enough breakdown.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
"Cornerbacks EJ Gaines and former FSU star Greg Reid have also stood out in camp" Not too sure about this line, or where he's getting his information from, but this is news for me.

Has to be confusing Reid with Joyner. No way there have been any "Greg Reid has stood out in camp" reports. About the only thing he has done to stand out, is wearing #39 for those searching for SJ39's old jersey #.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Has to be confusing Reid with Joyner. No way there have been any "Greg Reid has stood out in camp" reports. About the only thing he has done to stand out, is wearing #39 for those searching for SJ39's old jersey #.

That was my first thought as well. I think it was in your report where you said that he wasn't getting enough reps to show what he has, yet.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Playing in the NFC West, the Rams won only one divisional game last year, while beating six teams from other divisions, two of which were playoff teams. Their additions should make them a more competitive team, but much of their season hinges on the success of their quarterback.

No mention of the Rams going 6-2 in the division the last two years with Bradford as QB of course.

The Rodger Saffold situation played out in the Rams' favor, but losing Chris Williams on their offensive line might hurt, as Williams started all 16 games last year.

No, no it won't.

Zac Stacy rushed for 973 yards and 7 TD's in 14 games in his rookie year.

No, he had one rush for 4 yards in the first game, then no carries till week 5. So 12 games plus one carry in another.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
That was my first thought as well. I think it was in your report where you said that he wasn't getting enough reps to show what he has, yet.
3rd team reps, and sharing those at that.

No mention of the Rams going 6-2 in the division the last two years with Bradford as QB of course.

The Rodger Saffold situation played out in the Rams' favor, but losing Chris Williams on their offensive line might hurt, as Williams started all 16 games last year.

No, no it won't.

Zac Stacy rushed for 973 yards and 7 TD's in 14 games in his rookie year.

No, he had one rush for 4 yards in the first game, then no carries till week 5. So 12 games plus one carry in another.

When it's all said and done I do think us losing Chris Williams will hurt...the Bills

RK3

Professional Lurker
Name
Russ
When it's all said and done I do think us losing Chris Williams will hurt...the Bills

3697025-4287580028-hqdef.jpg

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I love fans that know nothing of our team, and decide that theirs will run us over. After we win, they leave the stadium dazed because we just punched them straight in the mouth.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I'm happy we are playing them in San Diego, we get lots of LA Rams fans traveling down there when we do. It's almost like a neutral field at times. Kinda like when the Bears or Chiefs fans invade the dome.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't get the Robinson is the next Pace talk. Pace excelled at pass blocking and run blocking was not his standout skill. Robinson so far is the reverse skillset. Maybe Greg is the next Walter Jones?

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I don't get the Robinson is the next Pace talk. Pace excelled at pass blocking and run blocking was not his standout skill. Robinson so far is the reverse skillset. Maybe Greg is the next Walter Jones?

Personally I'm reminded of Willie Roaf, but I can understand Pace and Jones comparisons as well.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I'm happy we are playing them in San Diego, we get lots of LA Rams fans traveling down there when we do. It's almost like a neutral field at times. Kinda like when the Bears or Chiefs fans invade the dome.

That would be me! Cant fucking wait!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Agreed. I don't see that comparison unless they're just talking about a pillar franchise LT in the general sense.