Rams Preview: Case Keenum won the QB job, personifies team’s uncertainty

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams Preview: Case Keenum won the QB job, personifies team’s uncertainty

By Vincent Bonsignore, Los Angeles Daily News

[www.dailynews.com]

It’s funny how things work out sometimes.

When the Rams left Southern California for St. Louis 21 years ago they did so with an uncertain quarterback situation befitting an organization that never seemed to nail the most important position on the field.

They return to Los Angeles with the same uncertainty.

Welcome home, guys.

Uncanny how you look remarkably like the team that kicked us in the gut to make a Midwest money grab more than two decades ago.

• Rams schedule | Rams roster | Rams photos

Some things never change, apparently.

With all due respect to Case Keenum, who has played well this offseason and rightfully won the starting job over future face of the franchise Jared Goff, he isn’t Russell Wilson or Cam Newton or Tom Brady or Eli Manning or Philip Rivers or Ben Roethlisberger or any other current NFL quarterback you can hand the keys to with confidence they can guide the team to respectable places.

At his best, Keenum is a game manager capable of stabilizing the position and keeping the Rams in games. And considering he has started 15 games over his four-year career and never more than eight in one season, it’s a hunch to assume even that.

There simply isn’t enough sample size to say definitively he will consistently do that.

So we hope.

And cross our fingers.

Sounds kind of familiar right?

From James Harris to Ron Jaworski to Pat Haden to Vince Ferragamo to Jeff Rutledge to Dan Pastorini to Bert Jones to Jeff Kemp to Dieter Brock to Steve Bartkowski to Jim Everett and beyond, the Rams over the years knelt at the alter of the Football Gods praying they could squeeze out just enough from the young to the old to the has-beens to the never-were’s to the would-be saviors and the seriously flawed to lift the team to the next level or over the finish line.

The Rams over the years always had wildly talented rosters, but unable to land their Roger Staubach or Terry Bradshaw they operated a revolving door that welcomed in new candidates as quickly as it hurled the previous ones onto the street.

Aside from a brief period of brilliance provided by a lightning bolt named Kurt Warner and the stability of Marc Bulger, it was more of the same in St. Louis.

Lest we forget the Tony Banks and Sam Bradfords and Kellen Clemens of the world.

And as the Rams return to the region they called home for 46 years, it’s deja vu all over again.

So take your place among all the others, Keenum. It’s a crowded room to be sure.

Here’s the thing, though.

Even while the Rams conducted a quarterback merry-go-round through the 1970s and 1980s they won a ton of football games. In fact from 1973-89 they won eight division titles, reached eight NFC Championship Games and one Super Bowl.

They never quite got it right at quarterback – at least not the long-range answer – but they managed to field highly competitive teams nonetheless.

Into that kind of world steps Keenum, who doesn’t do any one thing especially well but does enough things satisfactorily that he can be trusted.

Yes, the Rams drafted Goff first overall with the hope he’d start sooner rather than later. But it looks like sooner is going to take a lot longer than expected.

That might be disappointing, but it’s not the end of the world.

The Rams always knew they had Keenum in their back pocket, fully understanding he isn’t Newton or Wilson but more than convinced he can be a missing piece that enables them to finally move beyond the 7-9 teams they’ve been recently to a potential playoff contender.

It’s a tip of the cap to Keenum, certainly, but also the belief in the infrastructure in place around the quarterback position.

The Rams boast a defensive line as good as any in the NFL led by All-Pro tackle Aaron Donald and defensive end Robert Quinn.

The linebacker group is young, fast and athletic with Mark Barron and Alec Ogletree a pair of playmakers poised to step into stardom.

And running back Todd Gurley is as good as it gets and operates behind an offensive line that grew considerably over the course of training camp and preseason.

“That’s a good young roster they’ve built,” a prominent NFL assistant coach told me recently. “The pieces are in place. If the quarterback can just be solid, they have a chance to be a good team.

Keenum isn’t a star, but neither was Brock or Haden or Ferragamo, and all three of them won division titles and advanced their teams deep into the playoffs.

Dare we dream that Keenum can be to Gurley what Brock was to Eric Dickerson or Haden was to Lawrence McCutcheon back in the day?

The NFL assistant coach I spoke to felt so, pointing out the roster in place is one Rams coach Jeff Fisher can win with.

“There’s a recipe in place that he’s proven he can succeed with,” the coach said. “Look, Jeff Fisher didn’t forget how to coach. This is a team right up his alley with a spectacular talent like Gurley – who is special – and a very good defense. If the quarterback can be effective – he doesn’t even have to be a star – just steady. It could be a good year.”

Sounds pretty familiar, doesn’t it?

It never meant the ultimate prize back in the day.

But the Rams won a bunch of football games.

Can Keenum be to the Rams what Haden, Ferragamo and others were to run-first, defensive-minded Rams teams of the past?

It sure has a familiar ring to it.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I don't agree with his premise that case will start the whole year. Once goff knows the plays and understands what they mean he will be starting.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
The only problem is the line has to protect Keenum, he is already concussion prone. He needs to watch those blind spots and minimize getting rocked by surprise. I am hoping he doesnt hang in the pockets too long. If he gets handled Goff will be in sooner than expected.

Athos

Legend
The QBs of today are better than they were when you could get by with a jerry-rigged mess of mediocrity at the QB position.

WRs are better. Much of that due to the tightening of NFL rules and protections of WRs and QBs.

You either have a top 5D and a top 5 rushing attack just to hope to sneak into the playoffs.

SB winning QBs last 13 years.

Manning
Brady
Wilson
Flacco
Manning
Rodgers
Brees
Big Ben
Manning
Manning
Big Ben
Brady
Brady
2002-I dunno wtf happened here
Brady
2000-generational D

HoF QBs. Winners and losers. Or, at least, top QBs in those years.

Try and sugar coat the desperate hope as much as you can.

<\=200 a game and barely a TD from the QB is 7-9 shit.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The only thing certain in Life is that we're all going to Die some day!

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Shouldn't he be covering the Whiners? I'm sure the Vikings are envious of our quarterback depth ...

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
What has dawned on me listening to local radio and reading this guy is, until just a few months ago, these guys knew nothing about this team.

The real info comes from ROD or other sites like us, these "Johnny come lately"(s) have a lot to learn

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The QBs of today are better than they were when you could get by with a jerry-rigged mess of mediocrity at the QB position.

WRs are better. Much of that due to the tightening of NFL rules and protections of WRs and QBs.

You either have a top 5D and a top 5 rushing attack just to hope to sneak into the playoffs.

SB winning QBs last 13 years.

Manning
Brady
Wilson
Flacco
Manning
Rodgers
Brees
Big Ben
Manning
Manning
Big Ben
Brady
Brady
2002-I dunno wtf happened here
Brady
2000-generational D

HoF QBs. Winners and losers. Or, at least, top QBs in those years.

Try and sugar coat the desperate hope as much as you can.

<\=200 a game and barely a TD from the QB is 7-9 crap.

I don't think The Rams are talking Super Bowl just yet. It starts game by game . I they want a winning record finally.
Then look to get into the playoffs. If all that happens then you look to the Super Bowl.

If you want to bag in The Rams selection of Jared Goff,so be it . I think he can be & will be a special QB in The NFL. You can teach some of his skill sets. If you watched him in preseason,you could see some if it.
Flat out he was not ready , & Case Keenum has played real well from what I've seen. He adds value. Sean Mannion improved as well,showing he can win games, or at least keep a team in it.

The article stated Thenother QB's in Rams history going deep into the playoffs.You want to talk Warner, it took him time, even bagging groceries .Brady didn't start right away & did not come out after his JR year. Manning was 2-14 ? His rookie year. What about Troy Aiknan ??
I've said & will keep saying this is the best stable of QB's The Rams have ever had. Case Keemum is still developing as a QB.He reminds me of a poor mans Drew Bree's . Say what you want ,but if college (records) is what you have on your resume. Look at The Rams QB's college history.None of them have hit there prime.They have a excellent QB's coach. The future is bright. The QB position takes time to learn, & is not a thing you learn over night.

--As you stated today's QB's are better. I think the game has progressed were game planning & film study are at a extreme from ever before.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
QB Envy is something all of us long time Rams know too well. But so do most teams in the NFL. Finding the next star QB is what every single team strives for, because without a star QB, winning a Super Bowl is almost never gonna happen.

I remember every QB in that article. I liked some of them more than others... Everett was one of my favorites (named a dog after him "Blade"). Dieter was my least favorite LOL. Regardless, I cheered for all of them.

Goff may not be ready for opening game. Not surprising considering how he was coached in college and with the new CBA restrictions for practices. I'm just thankful that our coaching staff isn't afraid to do what's best for the kid's development... many scared less experienced coaches would cave to the media's lame story lines.

While I'm waiting for Goff's first start, I'm gonna root for our vertically challenged QB Keenum to take care of business for our offense. I know Case will be replaced at some point... but HOT DAMN it's great to know that we have the hopeful cure to all of our QB Envy already on the team. We're preparing the cure correctly guys... it's almost ready.

Last edited: