Rams Practice Reports 9/1:Keenum Has Advantage for Backup QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Practice Report 9/1: Keenum Has Advantage for Backup QB
By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-91-Keenum-Has-Advantage-for-Backup-QB/392f5bf3-4c0b-497d-a176-99385ed9000c

With his heavy amount of preseason reps, it’s become fairly apparent Case Keenum has a leg up in the backup quarterback competition. And head coach Jeff Fisher confirmed the notion on Tuesday afternoon.

“I think Case has the advantage right now,” Fisher said. “I think Case has done a good enough job at this point right now that he’s got No. 2 locked up.”

Fisher added the club’s familiarity with the quarterback from last year when he spent time on the roster and practice squad has benefited all parties in 2015. After the Texans signed Keenum off the Rams’ practice squad in December, the quarterback started two games to conclude 2014 before St. Louis re-acquired him via trade in March.

“He just has a good feel for our offense and timing and release and is a natural athlete,” Fisher said. “Since the trade, he’s been able to sit here and really grasp the offense, so he’s a got a good feel for what we’re doing.”

Through three exhibition matchups, Keenum has completed 20 passes for 255 yards and a touchdown -- good for a 92.2 rating.

“I’ve felt pretty good,” Keenum said of his preseason. “Obviously, there are things you want back, and decisions you make that you learn from. But I feel like overall, we’ve moved the ball fairly well and done some good things and grown.”

With the 27-year-old quarterback shuttling between Houston and St. Louis a few times over the last year, Keenum said on Tuesday he’s feeling a significant difference in the way he’s been able to prepare for the season.

“I wasn’t even on the team at this point last year,” Keenum said. “I didn’t get all the offseason workouts and the OTAs and training camp where it’s a grind and you’re getting to know all the guys -- throwing routes with guys and earning respect as you do in those tough summer workouts. So that’s what has been really nice this year, is getting to know the guys and kind of forming a chemistry.”

Listed at only 6-foot-1, Keenum doesn’t have the stature of starting quarterback Nick Foles. But Keenum doesn’t appear to see that as a disadvantage.

“Every quarterback is different in this league,” Keenum said. “For me, I’ve always said, if my feet can be in position, and get the ball out quick, the ball gets there in the same amount of time as somebody who’s got a rocket arm. So I try to anticipate defenses, anticipate guys getting open on routes and putting the ball where it needs to be.”

And while being the backup quarterback can be a tough job for a variety of reasons, it’s a task Keenum eagerly embraces.

“Obviously, playing and being a starting quarterback is very tough, but being a backup quarterback, you have to be ready to go at any time with virtually no reps throughout the week,” Keenum said. “It’s a mental strain -- being in the game, being warm, being ready to go at any time. When the quarterback gets hit, you’re always over there with one hand on your helmet, not knowing what’s going on.

“So it’s a tough position, but I like it,” Keenum continued. “I like playing football. Football is hard. If it were easy, everybody would do it.”

SAFFOLD GETTING CLOSER

Offensive lineman Rodger Saffold has been sidelined since tweaking his shoulder in the game against Oakland a few weeks ago, but said on Tuesday he feels like he’ll be ready for Week 1.

“I’m feeling good,” Saffold said. “Everything is going as planned, and it’s another step in the right direction today.”

“He’ll be questionable for Thursday,” Fisher said, “but obviously, definitely, he’s in a really good position for the opener.”

When he does come back to the field, Saffold will be playing on the other side of the line. While he had been working at left guard alongside Greg Robinson, Saffold said Tuesday that he’ll be playing right guard next to Rob Havenstein when he returns. The news was not much of a surprise, considering rookie Jamon Brown started at left guard in Saturday’s game against the Colts.

Having played there in the past, Saffold said he’s comfortable making the switch.

“The way to have the best combination to keep it firm inside was for me to go play right,” Saffold said, adding the coaches “have seen me play right guard before in years past, so they have confidence in me to be able to switch.”

“When those types of things get asked of you -- what am I here for? I’m here to be that versatile guy,” Saffold added. “So you’ll probably see me play a bunch of different positions all year. But that means nothing to me. My goals stay the same.”

With the shift, Saffold said he feels like he can assist Havenstein in making his transition to pros by imparting some of his experience.

“A lot of times, the offensive line is about feel,” Saffold said. “I can feel twists pretty well. Sometimes I can tell based on a safety rotation what kind of blitz we’re going to have, and I can point those things out to him. He’s a smart player and he’s really been able to get this offense down. Hopefully, I can get him to the next level so that if I miss something, he can help me.”

While Saffold was limited on the field on Tuesday, Fisher said he’s not worried about the lineman jelling with the rest of the unit for Week 1.

“He’s played a lot of games,” Fisher said. “He’s played the Seahawks. He understands, so I’m not concerned about that. The one that he’s doing is he’s getting the walk-thru reps so the communication is very sound up front with the young guys, so I’m not concerned.”

WALK-THRU AT SCOTT AIR FORCE BASE

As has become an annual tradition, the team will conclude training camp with a trip to Scott Air Force Base to conduct a walk-thru there.

“This is our third or fourth consecutive year that we’re going over to Scott Air Force Base and we’re going to have a walk-thru, so the soldiers will participate,” Fisher said. “If it’s an offensive period, then we’ll have soldiers on defense and vice versa. And they always look forward to that.”

It’s a great event for all, and we’ll have coverage of it tomorrow, right here on stlouisrams.com.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Finally, Mannion gets a whole game....Damn, I guess Davis needs to pack his bags...and stay by the phone...Somebody (probably 9ers, Hawks, Cards) will be calling...

Alan

Legend
It's good to hear that Mannion will play most of the game. That's going to make this game exciting for me.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Case Keenum has Rams' backup quarterback job 'locked up'
By Nick Wagoner, ESPN Staff Writer

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...num-has-rams-backup-quarterback-job-locked-up

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Entering this year's training camp and preseason, the primary competition at quarterback appeared to be between incumbent backup Austin Davis and re-acquired understudy Case Keenum.

With Nick Foles set as the starter and third-round pick Sean Mannion entering the fray, that put Keenum and Davis in the strange position of either being No. 2 or released.

As it turns out, there never really was much of a competition.

"I think Case has the advantage right now," St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. "I would say the competition would be related to the third spot, with Austin and Sean. So we’re going to try to get them both reps in the game. But I think that Case has done a good enough job right now at this point that he’s got No. 2 locked up.”

The Rams traded with the Houston Texans to get Keenum back in the fold on the opening day of free agency, sending a 2016 seventh-round pick to Houston to get Keenum back after he left the team's practice squad for the Texans' active roster at the end of the season.

Keenum had initially come to St. Louis after the cutdown to the 53-man roster last September but he never got much of a chance to play as he spent most of his time playing catch up. Although Keenum didn't get many chances, he apparently showed enough for the Rams to want him back.

This time around, Keenum has had a full offseason and training camp to make an impression.

"We saw it last year when we had him on the practice squad," Fisher said. "He just has a good feel for our offense and timing and release and is a natural athlete. Since the trade, he’s been able to sit here and really grasp the offense, so he’s a got a good feel for what we’re doing.”

Perhaps in part because the Rams already know what they have in Davis -- he started eight games in 2014 -- they've given Keenum the bulk of the opportunities in three preseason games. He's played seven series and thrown a team-high 34 passes in those games. Davis, meanwhile, has been relegated to just three series and thrown five passes, both numbers clearly the fewest among the four quarterbacks on the roster.

In other words, whatever semblance of "competition" that the Rams looked to have at quarterback has never really developed. While Fisher said Davis and Mannion are competing for the third spot, that is almost certainly coach speak.

The Rams have also given Mannion more work than Davis in the preseason games. Given the team's refusal to part ways with relatively early picks -- Isaiah Pead, anyone? -- it seems exceedingly unlikely they'd part ways with a third-round pick like Mannion after just one training camp.

So while many Rams will be fighting for spots on the team when they play the Kansas City Chiefs on Thursday night, whatever opportunities Davis gets will likely be as an audition for one of 31 other teams.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If we're not keeping Davis, and I too believe we are not, I wouldn't waste time playing him! Our players that we are keeping need the rep's!