Rams Practice Report 9/8: Starting With Seattle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Practice Report 9/8: Starting With Seattle

by Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-98-Starting-With-Seattle/ed774db8-cf06-4c52-b81d-3acc22595f80

As divisional opponents, the Rams and Seahawks are two teams who have gotten to know each other quite well over the years. And with that familiarity comes some pretty competitive matchups.

“Need I remind you that we finished with these guys? So we’re coming right back here,” head coach Jeff Fisher said on Tuesday. “And that’s okay. It’s a familiar team. It’s a great challenge for us.”

“We know them, they know us,” offensive lineman Rodger Saffold said. “And when we play, it’s an extremely physical game.”

Since Fisher took over as head coach in 2012, St. Louis is 2-1 against Seattle at the Edward Jones Dome.

Last year’s contest went down to the wire, with the Rams using some nifty special teams plays to secure a 28-26 victory. But don’t necessarily expect too much of the same when the two teams open the season on Sunday.

“We always will have something to draw upon. Whether we dial them up or not that remains to be seen,” Fisher said. “You need the perfect situation for it. I think, not only for Seattle, but the rest of the league understands that we’re one of those teams that’s going to, not take chances, but try to steal possessions with our special teams.”

“We have to play good, solid football,” Fisher added. “We can’t go into a Seattle game expecting to win the game on a fake punt or a special team’s play. We’ve got to play better offense and defense against them.”

A significant part of that effort begins up front on the offensive line. With many young starters on the unit, Saffold said the onus falls on the players to prepare well.

I want to put as much stress as possible on our young linemen, because I think that when you get backed into a corner, sometimes you have your best moments,” Saffold said. “I think they’re going to really be able to study up. They’re going to really watch this team because they know how good that defense can be.”

Saffold, who has moved over to right guard, specifically pointed out how Seattle’s defense uses movement, a variety of blitzes, and its aggressiveness to be effective.

“Those three things are big because we have such a young offensive line,” Saffold said. “We’re going to have to communicate, and communicate loud and often to be able to help out the younger guys see some things.”

SOLIDIFYING THE OFFENSIVE LINE

While Fisher declined to name a starting center on Tuesday, we know the players at the other four positions. From left to right, Greg Robinson, Jamon Brown, Rodger Saffold, and Rob Havenstein will all be along the line at guards and tackles.

The coaches recently flipped guards Saffold and Brown, with Brown now on the left and Saffold on the right. The veteran said Tuesday he’s feeling more and more comfortable with the adjustment.

“It’s a quick switch but all you’ve got to do is work on that side of the ball a little bit before practice, after practice work on a couple sets,” Saffold said. “And then from then on, it’s just meshing with the people you’re next to.”

As for why the switch was made, the rookie said offensive line coach Paul T. Boudreau noticed from film that he’s left-hand dominant, and that a move could pay dividends.

“He told me that I did a lot of things instinctively or naturally on the left side, which was very encouraging for him, and it was encouraging for me,” Brown said. “So I feel like me being left-hand dominant, and being able to do a lot of things with my left will be able to help me on the left side.”

Brown said he was a bit surprised by to head over to the left late in the preseason, but he’s feeling good about playing there.

“Obviously, the type of guy that I am, it doesn’t really matter,” Brown said. “But making that switch kind of told me something. And coach told me what his mindset was going into that game, which was to find the best matchups and combinations that he could. So he was pleased with what I did on the left side and decided to make it final. So that’s what I’m gearing my mind toward, is playing left guard.”

MAKING THE SQUAD

Linebacker Cameron Lynch is one of three undrafted free agents to make the Rams’ initial 53-man roster. Along with wide receiver Bradley Marquez and offensive lineman Darrell Williams, Lynch did enough in training camp to prove he has the mettle to play in the league. And as a UDFA out of Syracuse, Lynch recognized that’s no small feat.

“It’s awesome,” Lynch said. “The stress of the NFL, the camps, the hot sun -- all that hard work, it finally pays off. It’s a great feeling.”

We’ll have more on the undrafted rookies on the active roster in a feature article later this week.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams vs. Seattle: Plenty of good seats available

• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_21ff7620-2e40-5ea1-8a3b-97086e332919.html

It’s the opening of another NFL season. And not only is a division rival coming to town, it’s the two-time defending NFC champs. As a topper, the Rams have played said team, the Seattle Seahawks, very tough at the Edward Jones Dome under coach Jeff Fisher.

The Rams have won two of three at home vs. the Seahawks, including last year’s Festival of Trick Plays by coach John Fassel’s special teams unit. Even in the loss, the Rams were on the Seattle 1-yard line and throwing for the win in the end zone on the game’s final play.

Under normal circumstances, this would be a hot ticket. Obviously, these are not normal circumstances. As the preseason showed, attendance could be down sharply this season, what with the threat of relocation to Los Angeles.

The fact that the team hasn’t had a winning season since 2003, and is fresh off a winless preseason, isn’t conducive to a stampede at the ticket office, either.

While realizing that the circumstances are, well, the circumstances, Rams executive vice president Kevin Demoff says the organization is doing what it can to sell tickets.

“We’re making a push,” Demoff said. “We have more marketing out and around the Seattle game than we’ve ever had before for a season opener. Season tickets are down, so we have to make up some of the sales with single-game tickets.”

How far down are ticket sales? Demoff said team policy is not to reveal such numbers. But the “tickets distributed” numbers for home preseason games against Indianapolis and Kansas City tell you all you need to know.

The numbers for those games were 37,460 for Indy and 37,616 for KC. Some of those 37,000 were giveaways, but preseason games normally generate next to nothing in terms of single-game sales.

The moral to the story? The Rams’ season-ticket base is at minimum below 37,000. And unless the Rams have a monumental week in terms of single-ticket stales, we’re talking about an opening-day “crowd” of maybe about 40,000 in the 66,000-seat dome. Which easily would be a low for the Rams in St. Louis for a home opener, and probably a low for pro football in St. Louis going back to the days of the football Cardinals.

“Preseason is usually an indicator of what your season ticket base is, because not that many people buy single-game preseason tickets,” Demoff said. “Your season tickets are not greater — they could never be greater — than what’s distributed.”

Since you can’t buy a season ticket without buying the preseason games, the only thing that will get home attendance above that 37,000 threshold is robust purchase of single-game tickets, multiple-game “flex” packs, or group sales.

“For many years, we’ve been focused on single games and group tickets, and marketing efforts around the regular season,” Demoff said. “So we’re hopeful that those efforts in the market place and people’s excitement around the start of the season will lead to strong demand as we go through this week and in the weeks forward.”

Starting with Seattle and fellow NFC West opponents Arizona and San Francisco, the Rams have some attractive home opponents this year. Most notably Pittsburgh and Chicago. So the Rams are hoping for good single-game sales for those contests.

(Don’t be surprised, though, if there’s a ton of Steelers and Bears fans in the dome for those games.)

It could very well be that the relocation threat keeps attendance down to the point where only the hard-core fans show up. But as is the case in most seasons, the Rams feel a fast start — something that has eluded the team under Fisher — will lead to more ticket sales.

“The biggest single marketing tool we can have is to start strong or to play well,” Demoff said. “There is no substitute for that in any environment, but especially in a year like this.”

Failing that, the Rams hope that those who do show up on Sundays are noisy.

“We had games over the past few years where attendance has been significantly down and we still had a home-field edge,” Demoff said. “So to me, it’s not necessarily about the numbers who show up. It’s about the passion of those that do show up.”

The Rams have not released a schedule of promotional dates as has been the case in the past but Demoff said there will be some giveaways this year. In fact, Sunday’s noon opener against Seattle will be “Aaron Donald rally towel” day, Donald being the Rams’ star defensive tackle.

Demoff also said there will be two home games in which the Rams wear “throwback” uniforms, but for reasons he wouldn’t reveal, Demoff wouldn’t disclose which games.

Demoff also addressed the sign policy at the dome, indicating that it has not been altered to counter sentiment against owner Stan among fans.

“The sign policy at the Edward Jones Dome is the same as it always has been,” he said. “Anything that is football related and in good taste will be allowed through unless it’s a size where it blocks other viewers’ perspective. But anything that is not in good taste and not football-related can be turned away at the door.”

He did say a “Keep the Rams in St. Louis” sign of reasonable proportions would be acceptable.

“The sign policy really came into focus last year as we went through some of the civic unrest (in Ferguson) and became a focal point,” Demoff said.

The only thing that has changed, Demoff said, is that an attempt has been made to make signs outside the dome outlining the sign policy more visible.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Let me just say, it's obvious the Rams are both abandoning the St Louis fan while begging them to come to games. They hosed us with open TC. They hosed us with TC amenities. They are giving away a towel you can buy at a dollar store, 3 for a dollar retail, for god's sake, and unwilling to even say what promotions they will have this season.

I will come and honor Thordaddy and his exemplary effort to help others. I will come to meet you good people. I will come to take advantage of low priced tickets from screwed season ticket holders all season. I will come to support the Rams team. But, if ticket prices are normal and Kronke is only interested in piling up his money, I will never come to make Kronke richer. I know LA fans will feel invigorated if they move and they support the team, and god bless you, but this is the owner you are getting. Am I getting paid the most I can possibly get paid? No? See ya. Hundreds of millions just don't register.

He did say a “Keep the Rams in St. Louis” sign of reasonable proportions would be acceptable.

Yes, thank you so much. You banned them for the NFLN TC and now, if we meet reasonable codes vs massive flag poles and huge banners as was allowed in CA, we are allowed to speak. Let me guess what reasonable means: Small and unseen?

I speak not of the move if it happens. Many will be happy to have the Rams back in LA. I can't blame you, you are fans and you have a fair argument. I'm only talking about how the organization is being deplorable to its local fans while continuing to try to milk every penny out of them.

This is a statement about Kronke and his attitude towards Rams Fans and NOT about moving.

kronk.jpg

RamBill

Legend
Michael Brockers: I Can Be the Best Nose Tackle in the NFL

Defensive lineman Michael Brockers talks about getting ready for the regular season and going against Seattle’s offense.

Watch Brockers Interview

RamBill

Legend
Rams OG Rodger Saffold: I Feel Good About Sunday

Offensive lineman Rodger Saffold talks about returning from an injury and getting ready for the regular season

Watch Saffold's Presser

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
“The biggest single marketing tool we can have is to start strong or to play well,” Demoff said. “There is no substitute for that in any environment, but especially in a year like this.”
Didn't I just say this? Win and they'll come...Win and you'll probably stay in the Lou....Never seen a winning team/franchise move...never.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The coaches recently flipped guards Saffold and Brown, with Brown now on the left and Saffold on the right. The veteran said Tuesday he’s feeling more and more comfortable with the adjustment.
This is exactly where I thought he belonged from the start. Ditto Brown's move to the Left!!(y)(y)

As for why the switch was made, the rookie said offensive line coach Paul T. Boudreau noticed from film that he’s left-hand dominant, and that a move could pay dividends.
This is Great News!!:D

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
It's going to make me sick if there are 15-20,000 empty seats.

I mean how many of us are traveling from other states to be there?

I'm sorry, but for the love of god St.Louis get your *** to the game.

If they move to LA you'll regret not supporting them when they were in your backyard.
The Rockies suck but the fans still keep showing up in Denver.