Rams Practice Report 9/22: Ogletree's Big Numbers, Donald's 'Homecoming'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Practice Report 9/22: Ogletree's Big Numbers, Donald's 'Homecoming'
By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Practice-Report-922-Ogletrees-Big-Numbers-Donalds-Homecoming/77951aa6-d85e-4789-8203-e4c5ca661413

While the Rams did not come away victorious in their second contest of the season, they received a strong defensive performance from their starting ‘Will’ linebacker.

As head coach Jeff Fisher put it Monday, Alec Ogletree was all over the field on Sunday against Washington, tallying 18 total tackles, according to the coaches’ stats. The linebacker said Tuesday he knew he was playing hard, but didn’t quite realize the numbers he was putting up.

“That’s what I’m out there to do is to make plays,” Ogletree said. “When I’m on the field, I’m giving it 110 percent and trying to get to the ball as much as possible.”

Ogletree is no stranger to big tackling numbers, as he’s led the Rams in that category the last two seasons with 155 in 2013, and 169 in 2014. But per Rams PR, 18 tackles is the most a player has registered in a game since London Fletcher had 21 in a single contest in 2001. Ogletree smiled at the comparison, noting he’d studied the longtime NFL linebacker with his position coach at Georgia, Kirk Olivadotti. Now back with Washington, Olivadotti coached Fletcher in his first stint with the team prior to working with Ogletree in the SEC.

“My first year playing linebacker was with Kirk, and a good guy to look at was London Fletcher,” Ogletree said. “He did it for a long time and was a great linebacker. I definitely listened to coach and see what he saw in London.”

By his own admission, Ogletree got off to a slower start in 2014. That certainly hasn’t been the case in commencing his third pro season, as he’s currently tied for the league lead in tackles. The Georgia product said spending much of the offseason at the facility in St. Louis has paid dividends by improving his approach to the mental side of the game.

“I know I can do the physical stuff, but this offseason I took time to get my body right and just tried to learn more of the mental game,” Ogletree said. “Just learning offensive schemes, and what they want to do to the defense, and how they’re trying to attack us.”

Ogletree added he spent a lot of time working with middle linebacker James Laurinaitis in order to increase his knowledge on those aspects of defense.

“He’s one of the greatest I’ve seen do it as far as learning the mental part of the game,” Ogletree said.

And as for racking up those tackles, Ogletree said he’s looking forward to one day reaching that mark of 21.

“That’s a great record, but I definitely want to try to break it,” Ogletree said. “I probably missed a couple tackles, so I probably could have at least tied it last week.”

A (KIND OF) HOMECOMING FOR DONALD

Defensive tackle Aaron Donald has also put up great numbers over the first two weeks of the season, combining with Chris Long on Sunday for another half sack to give him 2.5 on the year. He currently leads all defensive tackles in the category.

And now with the Steelers coming to town, Donald is getting a bit more attention. A Pittsburgh native, Donald grew up watching the storied NFL franchise before starring at the University of Pittsburgh. Given his connections to the area, the second-year defensive tackle will be the featured player on the conference call with Pittsburgh media this week. It’s a designation that often goes to a team’s quarterback.

But like most things, the extra media sessions don’t seem to phase the young D-lineman.

“That’s where I was born and raised,” Donald said. “I grew up watching them and played there, so it’s expected.”

Though he’s never been to a Steelers game before, Donald said he still pulls for the team unless, of course, it’s playing the Rams. And he’s looking forward to the experience of lining up against players he’s seen for years -- like quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

“It’s going to be pretty cool,” Donald said. “I grew up watching those guys and watching ‘Big Ben’ since I was young and saw him take them to a Super Bowl. And now, I have the opportunity to play against them. But I’m just going to go out there and try to win, do my job, and take it like any other game.”

Of course, doing his job includes trying to get a sack on Roethlisberger -- an arduous task, to be sure. If Donald does it, he’ll have plenty of family in the stands at the Edward Jones Dome on Sunday to witness the occasion.

“I want to get a sack every week,” Donald said. “But if you get to him you know you have to get your big boy pads ready because he isn’t going down easy. So we have to try and get after him.”

GURLEY, QUICK UPDATE

As Fisher said on Monday, the Rams will evaluate running back Todd Gurley as he goes through the week. There’s a chance he’ll be a game-time decision on Sunday.

“He looked great today,” Fisher said of the running back. “Feels really good. As I said, he had a really good workout prior to the game and he’s in good shape. He’s excited and we’ll just see what happens.”

And while wide receiver Brian Quick has yet to make his 2015 debut, Fisher hinted there’s a chance he could be active come Sunday as well.

“I have not ruled him out,” Fisher said. “He’s physically able to play, so we’ll see what happens.”

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
GURLEY, QUICK UPDATE

As Fisher said on Monday, the Rams will evaluate running back Todd Gurley as he goes through the week. There’s a chance he’ll be a game-time decision on Sunday.

“He looked great today,” Fisher said of the running back. “Feels really good. As I said, he had a really good workout prior to the game and he’s in good shape. He’s excited and we’ll just see what happens.”

And while wide receiver Brian Quick has yet to make his 2015 debut, Fisher hinted there’s a chance he could be active come Sunday as well.

“I have not ruled him out,” Fisher said. “He’s physically able to play, so we’ll see what happens.”

Please play both players if they are ready!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
“I know I can do the physical stuff, but this offseason I took time to get my body right and just tried to learn more of the mental game,” Ogletree said. “Just learning offensive schemes, and what they want to do to the defense, and how they’re trying to attack us.”

Ogletree added he spent a lot of time working with middle linebacker James Laurinaitis in order to increase his knowledge on those aspects of defense.

“He’s one of the greatest I’ve seen do it as far as learning the mental part of the game,” Ogletree said.
Time for this guy to just take over....I mean, you can only hold his hand for so long...Some plays, I saw him run past JL55 to get to a runner on the other side of a play...he was really playing. The only concern is, will Ayers pick up the slack that Tree leaves behind by moving to the middle. At this point after the re-watch, I'm ready for Ogletree, Ayers, and Bates....JL55 is just horrible. Shell of his former self...I think he got his bell rung on that last drive in the 2nd quarter when he took on #77. He doesn't wanna stuff linemen anymore...And it shows....