Rams Practice Report 9/11: Rookie OLs Ready to Play/Simmons

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Practice Report 9/11: Rookie OLs Ready to Play

By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-911-Rookie-OLs-Ready-to-Play/5b7f607b-ac71-4dc7-96d9-3733f3e289a9

As has been the expectation since the start of camp, the Rams will head into the season opener with two rookies on their starting offensive line. And as he has throughout the process, head coach Jeff Fisher expressed confidence in both right tackle Rob Havenstein and left guard Jamon Brown.

With both rookies likely harboring a good amount of excitement for Sunday’s contest, Fisher said a significant factor to open the game will be to just keep them calm.

“They’re going to be excited to play, but the great part about ‘JB’ and Rob is that they’ve played a lot of snaps in the preseason,” Fisher said. “They’ve played and matched-up against some good players in the preseason and they play good players out here every day in practice.”

Both Brown and Havenstein said this week they feel ready to go for Week 1.

“I think coach Fish and all the other coaches have prepared me and any of the other rookies who are going to play early for this day, for Game 1,” Brown said. “I’m really excited to do it for real rather than just a preseason game.”

“I’m very excited to get out there and get my first regular season NFL experience,” Havenstein said, “but I’m more excited to get out there and show what this team has.”

Brown recently moved from working at right guard to left guard, which has been a bit of an adjustment for him. But being left-hand dominant and his experience playing on that side of the line in college has aided the transition.

“Two years on the left side at left tackle,” Brown said of his experience at Louisville. “I think that’s helped also. But the majority of it from being left-hand dominant.”

The shift also put guard Rodger Saffold next to Havenstein on the right, which the Wisconsin product said has been quite helpful for his development.

“With him being an older guy, he obviously knows his stuff,” Havenstein said. “It’s helped me out tremendously, just knowing the confidence he brings, the calls, and everything. Knowing that he’s going to be the same physical guy that he always is, it just makes me play with more confidence.”

Both rookies have impressed the older players around them, with tight end Jared Cook saying they have come in with great maturity.

“It’s such an important position and they’ve got the offense down,” Cook said. “They communicate with me more than I communicate with them sometimes. They’ve just done a great job filling the role that we need them to fulfill. They’ve just got to go out there and put it together for 16 weeks, and we should be great.”

When it comes to nerves, Brown said he wasn’t feeling too many butterflies during the practice week. But that could change as kickoff draws near.

“I’m sure as we get closer to the game, and as the hype goes up for the game, I’ll have a couple,” Brown said. “But, like I said, I’m completely confident, and coach is confident in me, so when it’s time to line up and suit it up, all the butterflies will be gone.”

“They’re prepared, they’ve studied,” Fisher said, “and I think they’re only going to get better.”

DEFENSE STARTING FAST

Earlier in the summer, defensive coordinator Gregg Williams said he’s been starting off every meeting emphasizing the need for the unit to start fast.

Apparently, that hasn’t changed as the team has moved to the regular season.

“Every single, solitary meeting that we have, the very first thing that’s on the screen is, ‘Start fast,’” Williams said on Friday. “Some days we discuss it. Other days we just look at it.”

“The thing I feel comfortable about is it’s been covered -- it’s been discussed,” Williams added. “This has been a fun group to see how they grasp that and they’ve used that in all of the things they’re doing, so we’ll see.”

One of the major factors St. Louis will have to contend with on Sunday is Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson. Williams said one of the biggest challenges the signal-caller presents is his ability to improvise, adding it can be frustrating when he is able to make plays like that -- especially in the second half of games.

“We have to make sure that, athletically, understanding mentally what the concept is of what he’s trying to do to extend the play,” Williams said. “I think he is one of the best in our league right now.”

The Seahawks had the No. 1 rushing offense in 2014 -- both in total yardage and average per carry -- and a significant reason why is running back Marshawn Lynch. Williams said his ability to change direction is part of what makes Lynch special.

“People underestimate how powerful he is in the upper body. We’ve got to do a good job of staying down on his lower body,” Williams said. “If you try to tackle him up around his face, up around his shoulder pads, he’s embarrassed a lot of people.”

One aspect of Seattle’s offense that has changed since the end of last season is the addition of Jimmy Graham. The Seahawks brought him in through a blockbuster trade in the offseason, and Fisher has said he expects to see plenty of him on Sunday because he was utilized so little in the preseason.

“He’ll be a big red zone target for them, we understand that,” Williams said. “We’re going to have to make sure that we understand where he’s at.”

For more on Graham, check out our Opponent Breakdown post here.

INJURY UPDATES

The Rams had three players appear on the injury report this week, and Fisher provided an update on all three at the end of Friday’s practice.

Though running back Todd Gurley (knee) was a limited participant in practice, his status has not changed and he’s been declared out for Sunday. Linebacker Daren Bates was limited in Friday’s practice and will be questionable. And running back Tre Mason (thigh) did not practice and will be listed as questionable.

Should Mason not play on Sunday, Fisher said the team will be in good shape with Benny Cunningham, Isaiah Pead, and Chase Reynolds handling the load at running back.

Pead had a strong showing against Kansas City in the final preseason game, and Fisher praised his perseverance in coming back from last year’s season-ending knee injury.

“He finished up really strong two years ago for us on special teams, and last year was a really big year for him, we thought, and then he had the injury,” Fisher said. “But he’s come back and he’s returned right back to where he was. The injury’s not an issue anymore and he’s a productive [special] team’s player for us. He knows our offense and he’s definitely going to play.”

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
If the D can stay focused and play to their strengths, they should carry the team to victory this week. The shecocks O usually struggles against our D then capitalizes on mistakes late to pull out a win after being dominated for much of the game. I expect the D to make fewer mistakes this season and finally turn the corner and be the dominant force they are capable of.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams notes: It was a happy day for Ayers the last time he faced Seattle

• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_1953a944-fd44-5f98-94d6-81d02da46c22.html

The last time Rams linebacker Akeem Ayers faced the Seattle Seahawks, he came away with a Super Bowl title.

After four-plus seasons with the Tennessee Titans, Ayers was traded to New England at midseason a year ago and played a role down the stretch as the Patriots captured their fourth Super Bowl title.

“Honestly, it doesn’t feel like the Super Bowl was all that long ago,’’ said Ayers, 26, who signed with the Rams during the offseason. “It was definitely a great experience for me, getting to go out with a bang.’’

On the play before the play in the Super Bowl, Ayers helped stop Seattle power back Marshawn Lynch at the Patriots’ 1-yard line. That set up what has been called “the worst play call in Super Bowl history.’’

On a second-and-goal play from the 1, Seattle attempted a pass. The Patriots’ Malcolm Butler jumped in and made the interception, sealing the Patriots’ 28-24 win.

“They went with a three-receiver set, so I came off the field,’’ Ayers recalled. “I thought for sure they were looking to spread us out for another run by Marshawn. I couldn’t believe it when they passed and when we picked it off, I was ecstatic. Everyone on the sideline went crazy.’

“That whole drive, it was just an emotional roller-coaster,’’ he added.

Ayers, a 6-foot-3, 255-pounder from UCLA, has been a welcome addition to the Rams.

“He’s added some good strength on the line of scrimmage and he has a flexibility of also not only being on the line of scrimmage, but I think it’s underestimated on how he plays behind the ball,’’ Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams said. “He’s been a very good mix into the room. He fits in with the personality. He fits in with the toughness with this group. But his versatility to put his hand down, his versatility to blitz, I think, is a little bit underrated. I’m hoping I get a chance to see him around the quarterback this year.”

With the Rams, who entertain Seattle on Sunday afternoon, Ayers is getting back to his linebacking roots.

“The last couple of years, I’ve worked more as a defensive end and got pretty comfortable as a pass-rusher,’’ he said. “But linebacker is my natural position. I’m back to making run-pass reads, making sure I’m in the right gaps and doing a lot more adjusting and thinking on the run.

“I think we’ve got a good team here and I know we’re excited about taking on the Seahawks. They’re a great team, a proven team, and this’ll be a great time to let people around the league know that we’re a team to deal with.’’

RAMS DISCUSSED ALDON SMITH

The Oakland Raiders announced Friday they have signed former 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith, 25, to a one-year contact.

According to an NFL Network report, Smith, a former University of Missouri star, also considered the Rams, Tampa Bay and Jacksonville. But team sources told Jim Thomas of the Post-Dispatch that while the Rams did their homework and discussed the possibility of signing him, they never had a conversation with Smith.

San Francisco’s first-round draft pick in 2011, Smith was released by the 49ers after his latest run-in with the law on Aug. 6 for an alleged hit-and-run, drunk-driving incident. It was the fifth time he had been arrested or charged since 2012.

SEATTLE’S BRITT ON THE MOVE

Selected by the Seahawks in the second round of the 2014 draft, former Mizzou standout Justin Britt started at right tackle in 16 regular-season games and a pair of playoff contests as a rookie last year.

This year, the Lebanon, Mo., native is playing left guard.

“That was kind of a combo move to get (tackle) Garry Gilliam a chance to play for us as well,’’ Seattle coach Pete Carroll said. “We always thought of Justin as being a very versatile guy when we took him, so it wasn’t a big departure in our thinking to have him play guard.’’

Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson added: “The first day, the first few snaps were like, ‘Wow, he just looks so talented.’ He can do it all; he’s very physical. ... He’s going to be a great player for a long, long time.’’

RAM-BLINGS

Todd Gurley (knee) is out and fellow running back Tre Mason (hamstring) is questionable for Sunday’s game. The other Ram on the injury list, linebacker and special teams leader Daren Bates (knee), is listed as questionable.

For Seattle, linebacker Mike Morgan (hamstring) is out and CB Tharold Simon (toe) is questionable. RB Marshawn Lynch (not injury related), TE Cooper Helfet (knee) and QB Tarvaris Jackson (ankle) are listed as probable.

Some interesting numbers provided by the NFL:

• Last year, 110 of 256 games (43 percent) were decided by eight or fewer points and 64.5 percent were within one score, eight or fewer points, at some point in the fourth quarter.

• In the 13 seasons since the NFL’s division realignment in 2002, 28 teams of the league’s 32 have won division titles. New England leads the way with 11, followed by Indianapolis (nine), Green Bay (eight) and Seattle (7).

The four teams without a division title in that time — Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit and Jacksonville.

The Rams’ last division championship was in 2003; they also made the playoffs in 2004, qualifying as an 8-8 wild card.

• A league-record 807 touchdown passes were thrown in 2014, surpassing the 804 posted in 2014. Nine teams — Green Bay (486), Denver (482), Philadelphia (474), New England (468), Dallas (467), Indianapolis (458), Pittsburgh (436), Baltimore (409) and New Orleans (401) — scored at least 400 points a year ago. That group had a winning percentage of .674, and seven of the nine reached the playoffs.

• Once again, the NFC West will lead the league in miles traveled (90,990) this season, well ahead of the runner-up AFC West (87,664). San Francisco (27,912) leads the way, followed by Miami (26,622) and Oakland (26,268).

The Rams, with 14,606 miles, are at No. 18. Seattle (24,976) is at No. 4 and Arizona (23,496) at No. 6.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
The key is to play smart fundamental football and not beat themselves. This team matches up well with the shehawks but won't get away with stupid penalties like other teams. If the Rams don't get cute and over confident with their pass rush (talking to you G Williams. Not a fan at all btw) they'll win.