Rams Practice Report 8/23: Defense Under Williams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Practice Report 8/23: Defense Under Williams

Myles Simmons

[www.therams.com]

Gregg Williams is heading into his third season as the Rams’ defensive coordinator. Known as a coach who can adapt his scheme to get the most out of his players, Williams has a kind of advantage going into Year 3 with the club.

“There’s not a lot of new stuff. They’re used to me, I’m used to them,” Williams said. “It’s been a real productive spring, and I do like how they’ve come back from the spring OTAs, and coming back in condition here for these training camp practices. It’s been a real positive format, so far.”

The familiarity Williams has with Los Angeles’ veterans means more time can be devoted in preseason games to players he may not know as much about. For instance, Williams said he wasn’t concerned about defensive end Robert Quinn not playing much in the preseason because he knows what the lineman can do.

“I need to see him play on gameday in [the] regular season,” Williams said. “I’ve been through a lot of games with him, I see him in practice every day. He’ll got some limited reps, but not looking to get a lot of banging around because I want to see him banging around come Monday Night Football against San Francisco.”

When a player has recorded 50 sacks in only 71 games over five seasons, it’s a clear indication of elite-level talent. It’s another reason why Williams doesn’t feel a need to see Quinn do much in games that don’t count, especially given that Quinn is returning from back surgery.

“He does things that you can’t coach, he has some of the fastest-twitch pass-rushing I’ve ever seen,” Williams said.

One of the ways that comes through on the field is how quickly Quinn can turn the corner on an offensive tackle.

“When you watch a pass rusher turn the corner, everybody in the National Football League has to turn the corner at nine yards. The good ones start turning the corner at eight yards, the Pro Bowlers will start turning the corners at seven yards,” Williams said. “You’ll see Robert turn [the corner on an offensive tackle] it at a four, five and six [yards – not very many people can do that, only the elite of the elite.

“I can’t coach that,” Williams continued. “I’m a better coach when he plays and does that — I’m telling you that.”

Williams likes to let players use their natural instincts. He’s talked about it with defensive tackle Aaron Donald, and mentioned a same sort of principle when discussing Mark Barron’s transition from safety to weakside linebacker.

“Last year, the biggest thing we wanted to do as a staff is not overload him, not slow him down,” Williams said. “I told the staff ‘don’t coach him. Unless he asks a question, let him alone – and then when he asks a question, that’s what he needs to know to figure it out.’

“Now, this year, we’ve started from day one, scratch one, building him back up through there and the light has really clicked on for him,” Williams added. “He’ll be even better this year.”

Plus, between Barron and middle linebacker Alec Ogletree, Williams thinks the Rams can be one of the fastest teams on defense in the league.

“I really can’t wait to see he and Ogletree play together,” Williams said. “You guys are going to see a pretty good, fast pair of backers doing things.”

But those are players Williams knows well. For the ones he doesn’t, he relies on preseason playing time to see who can realistically contribute to the defense.

“Practices are so much different now in the NFL and training camp, with the non-contact that you have — the ways with not very many padded practices,” Williams said. “So now you get a chance to get them into a game, especially some of these young college guys coming in as rookies. And even some of the veteran guys that we sign free agents that came from other teams.”

The next chance to evaluate will come on Saturday in Denver — a team that will certainly present challenges in all three phases as the reigning Super Bowl Champions.

“The things that have happened in the first half in a couple of these games have been very good correctable things that these guys have grown from,” Williams said. “So far, so good. Now when they take the next step this week, It’ll be interesting to see these guys play.”

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like Williams very much as a DC and some eyebrows were raised when the Rams signed CB Coty Sensabaugh because IMO, Williams had a major say in that signing as he coached Sensabaugh who played much better under him, however, so far during preseason Sensabaugh has proved to be a dog in coverage because he's always chasing a car, but hopefully the secondary gets straighten out because to have an upper echelon defense, the Rams must get off the field on 3rd down.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
I like Williams very much as a DC and some eyebrows were raised when the Rams signed CB Coty Sensabaugh because IMO, Williams had a major say in that signing as he coached Sensabaugh who played much better under him, however, so far during preseason Sensabaugh has proved to be a dog in coverage because he's always chasing a car, but hopefully the secondary gets straighten out because to have an upper echelon defense, the Rams must get off the field on 3rd down.
It seems like we've had him covering the other teams #1 receiver which he won't be doing when the real games start. I'm guessing (hoping!) that he'll be able to blanket the bad guys #2 receiver during the regular season.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I really enjoy getting a look inside what Williams is seeing and thinking. I wish there was more of this available with all the coaching staff. I know a lot is boiler plate stuff but its still nice to hear things like what he thinks about Quinn and Barron.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF

I compare him to another former Ram who wore #21. Fast, always a second late and when he had position, he never turned around in time to make a play on the ball.

Hint: He was a first round pick. Any guesses who I'm referring to?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
hopefully the secondary gets straighten out because to have an upper echelon defense, the Rams must get off the field on 3rd down.

he'll be able to blanket the bad guys #2 receiver during the regular season.

Love Williams....loved him in hard knocks last night....I think our cb problems have been secured with a healthy EJ Gaines...and another Pac-12 gem...
https://www.profootballfocus.com/cff-overview-cb-top-of-the-crop/

Troy Hill, Oregon
CFF-profiles-inset-hill-225x300.png
The first name you’re unlikely to find in any other list of Top 5 corner prospects for the 2015 draft, for most people Hill isn’t even the best prospect from his own college, being overshadowed by teammate Ifo Ekpre-Olomu. Troy Hill graded extremely well (far better than Ifo) during the CFF season and when you throw on the tape you see a guy making plays all over the field.

He is capable of playing in off or press coverage, man or zone and though he may be just 5-foot-10 and 182 pounds, you don’t see that show up anywhere as a problem. He made plays against bigger receivers even if he couldn’t challenge for the ball with them, showing the ability to switch his attention quickly to the receiver’s hands and prevent the catch. Hill breaks on the pass as quickly as anybody in this draft and though he does have his off the field concerns, he looks like a legitimate stud in coverage.

Signature Stat: Allowed a completion percentage of 45.3% on passes thrown into his coverage, more than 10% better than his teammate, Ifo.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/cff-sig-stats-cornerbacks/

Click link above...Solid tackler & excellent in completion % allowed. It shows up when you watch film on the young man too...I see him starting over Sensabaugh & Joyner pretty soon.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I, along with some other posters, have expressed concerns about the LB corps., but it doesn't sound like GW is very concerned. Barron and Tree have yet to play a down together. I'd still like to know why Barron has been held out. That looks to change as Barron is finally practicing.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
What Gregg went into regular season with last season as starters is a bit difference in what he has been starting the last two pre season games as first team starters. 7 of his starting posts have different starters in them. First I have zero concerns @ LB'er.

In the secondary he has been starting new CB Coty who has been mentioned many times in above post as being a big disappointment thus far. I will agree from what I have seen is no better than our 5th or 6th corner. I will still maintain that Coty was purchased to be our reserve Nickle & our 4th corner (Dime). But the price tag for this vet is way out of line for this assignment. Coty right now appears to be a very big mistake! We lost big on this one if Coty continues to add to QB% completion totals.

Joyner performance has most likely got him demoted out of the starting corner post. Landing back into his initial rookie post as Nickle. Not a good thing for a high costly high 2nd round pick who should be starting & making very big positive plays instead of running around in our secondary looking like burnt toast. Sure looks the weight Gregg placed on them thus far in 2 pre season games is just too much for their skills to make plays. NOT a god sign here thus giving us a ton of concern here. Our 1st team DE's lack of any pass rush comes into play LARGE with our concerns in the secondary.

In the DL we do not have any issues inside. Easley/Thomas have filled the loss of Nick Fairley nicely even if it has take two of them to do it. Many here still think Thomas is a pure WWC I don't think so. I think Thomas filled the back up role behind Brockers nicely.

DE Chris Long's roster spot replacement Quinton Coples will be a good cost to keep...thus far in TC he has displayed fully he takes about a 10 to 11 yard to get to the QB on his pass rush route from the DE post. Did not take long for Gregg to figure that out. He should have called Miami & the Jets & asked more questions on why they did not let Coples start @ DE. So he has been moved inside thus throwing Ethan Westbrooks out to the DE post that Coples was purchased to play. Coples looks to be a much better interior DL'er than exterior so most here thinks that the problem is solved. Not so, cuz problem here for Gregg has no need for the play that Coples brings @ DT. ZERO need here. If you think I am wrong here PLEASE ask me after you make your case for why he needs to make this 53 player roster...then I will respond fully to you. Bottom line Coples was purchased to play DE not DT.

Gregg needs to find several other "Quinn like clone prospects" before the regular season begins. Thus far he has 3 DE he is looking at....Westbrooks/Longacre/Seau. I would keep all three over several other DL'ers here.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

I expect Greg to move Coty down the depth chart a bit and build him back up. One thing about CS is the dude is very talented, he just doesn't look instinctive on the field and in this particular defense knowing wtf you're doing is key. Not going to doubt a move that has Greg Williams behind it, I mean look at Barron. When the dude first came over he wasn't any sort of revelation, but they got him in a role he could excel in and have handled him well in it.

Our defensive staff definitely knows what they're doing. Gonna blindly trust in them with him, because to my eye CS would be a cut.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave

I think the soft coverage in preseason is by design to see guys chase and tackle even Tru has looked a bit off in preseason, but he looked real good in camp. Once the regular season starts we should see a lot more tight man coverage, especially since the starting CBs will all have experience in this system.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I compare him to another former Ram who wore #21. Fast, always a second late and when he had position, he never turned around in time to make a play on the ball.

Hint: He was a first round pick. Any guesses who I'm referring to?
Travis Fisher? No he wore 22. OJ Atogwe was a 3rd rounder. Janoris Jenkins was a 2nd rounder. I have no idea lol

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think the soft coverage in preseason is by design to see guys chase and tackle even Tru has looked a bit off in preseason, but he looked real good in camp. Once the regular season starts we should see a lot more tight man coverage, especially since the starting CBs will all have experience in this system.

You beat me to it, RamBall.

GW said as much in his last presser. They're playing vanilla D so he can truly see the strengths and weaknesses of players that he's not familiar with yet.

Come opening day, we'll see a whole different animal on our D.

I have minimal concerns about CB and deep S for this year, despite the 2 FA losses.

But I am a little uneasy about Tree's MLB transition, based upon the limited snaps in the 2 PS games. And I wonder about LB depth, too. Doesn't seem to have nearly the quality depth of DL, CB, and even S, if you ask me.