Rams Practice Report 12/2: Back in the Division

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Practice Report 12/2: Back in the Division
Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-122-Back-in-the-Division/ecb7ca71-8cb6-49f8-a7a6-611af3fbb18c

After head coach Jeff Fisher shifted the practice schedule for the week so that the players’ day off came Tuesday, the Rams got back on the field Wednesday in preparation for the Cardinals.

Sunday’s game represents the second matchup between St. Louis and Arizona this year -- the first coming back on Oct. 4 in the desert. That was one of the Rams’ better victories of the season, as the club won 24-22.

“I think we just know them very well,” linebacker James Laurinaitis said. “We see them twice a year and know exactly what they're going to run -- we know what to do to stop it. It’s just a matter of who can execute, and play faster, and make the big plays. When we played them last time, we were able to do that and get a takeaway, and capitalize on those things.”

St. Louis has played its best football within the division this year, going 3-0 in the first round of NFC West matchups. Fisher said it’s disappointing that the club has not performed as well in the rest of its games, but there are reasons why the Rams have beaten Arizona, Seattle, and San Francisco.

“We built this team to compete in the division. There’s familiarity,” Fisher said. “I’m disappointed that we haven’t played good football outside the division, but we have good matchups. We understand the matchups. We understand the challenges.”

There isn’t any one particular factor for the discrepancy in the team’s play, either.

“I can’t put my finger on it. If I could, we’d try to get that fixed and get this thing rolling,” quarterback Nick Foles said. “I think it’s just the way it is some years. It gets difficult at times, but you just have to keep working.”

“Honestly, it just comes down to us not finishing games this year,” Hayes said, adding there have been games that have come down to a very slim margin. “I just think us as a collective group -- the players -- we’re not doing a good job of finishing plays and doing the things we need to do to win these football games.”

Still, given the familiarity between the teams, there are some advantageous factors that come from facing a division rival for the second time.

“I think both teams are going to know each other better,” defensive end Chris Long said. “You have that tape where you have the exact same personnel and the same schemes, and it just helps a lot. It feels like yesterday you played them, and here they are again. And that's just the way it goes in the division.”

And because the Rams won the first contest, wide receiver Tavon Austin said he feels the Cardinals will be particularly fired up to come to St. Louis.

“I'm thinking they'll come with a different type of attitude,” Austin said. “Right now they have a great record and we're trying to knock them off. That's how it always goes. We're coming with a good attitude, too. Keep battling and hopefully we get the win.”

“They’re a talented team, so they’re going to be ready to go,” Foles said. “They’re going to look at that film and try to do things better. It’s going to be a hard-fought game.”

Fisher had a similar assessment for the way Arizona will likely come into the Edward Jones Dome.

“Unfortunately for them, we were one of the two games that they lost,” Fisher said. “I’m sure that there’s extra motivation there in addition to their playoff run and trying to secure a home field advantage and all those kinds of things. But, we’re going to play. We’re going to play hard.”

MAN OF THE YEAR NOMINEE

Long has been noted for his strong play on the field for years. But this year, his work off of it is being recognized, too, as he’s been named the Rams’ 2015 Walter Payton Man of the Year nominee.

The Walter Payton Man of the Year award is the only league honor recognizing a player for excellence on and off the field. Long has been especially remarkable this year for his work with Waterboys, the cornerstone initiative of the Chris Long Foundation, which raises funds to provide clean water wells in sub-Saharan Africa.

“[Football] has given me a platform, so if I don’t use it, I feel like I’m shorting myself and I’m shorting everybody else,” Long said Wednesday.

Hayes, who is one of Long’s closest friends on the team, said he’s happy his fellow defensive end’s extensive charity work is being recognized.

“It’s awesome,” Hayes said. “He’s got his Waterboys thing going, and he’s going 100 miles-an-hour with it. I’m proud of him. And it’s an honor to be named that because it just shows all the good work that you’re doing.”

“He works hard within the community, and it’s well deserved,” Hayes added.

To find out more about the award and how you can help Long win it, check out our full story in the link here.

INJURY UPDATE

At quarterback, Fisher said Case Keenum has not yet passed the concussion protocol and therefore is still limited in practice.

“He had good work Monday [and] yesterday. He was limited today. He feels good, but he’s still yet to be cleared,” Fisher said. “As you observed, Nick got most of the reps today and we’ll just kind of see how things go tomorrow.”

Though the situation is once again fluid at quarterback this week, Foles said the biggest difference between being named the starter and serving as the backup can be the practice reps.

“There is a little difference, but you prepare every week like you are the starter,” Foles said. “I know that’s a saying that a lot of us say, but you really try to do your best to prepare like you’re the starter. Got a lot of reps today and we’ll just see how the week goes.”

Elsewhere on the injury report, defensive end Robert Quinn (back), offensive lineman Andrew Donnal (knee), cornerback Trumaine Johnson (thigh), and kicker Greg Zurelein (right hip) all did not participate in the session. 

And there was good news on the injury front, as right tackle Rob Havenstein returned to practice as a full participant. Fisher said Monday Havenstein has a good chance to get back to the starting lineup this week.

Last edited:

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Might as well chalk up an L if Foles starts. Although he played decent last time we played these buffoons.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I honestly thought Foles was the missing piece but he looks god awful lately .

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Quinn and TRu still out. Not good for the Defense. We need to be at FULL strength on Defense to overcome the poor "Offensive" performance.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, with Reynolds back at LG and Havenstein at RT maybe the running game gets better maybe we get to see Mannion earlier.

RamzFanz

Damnit
If Rams have to go without any of Keenum, Quinn, or Johnson, this is going to get ugly fast.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
This damn team affects me in so many ways more so than any women in my life...well pretty damn close! Shitfire! And yet I watch and yet I drink and yet I let it go, only to watch it again and again.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams offense should rebound some after the some serious nightmares. Sure glad to get Rob Havenstein back. Bet Tim Barnes is really happy to have Garrett back on his left hip again. Reynolds IMO is a really good LG & gave us a solid play from this spot. With GRob & Reynolds back together that left side should be primed & ready to open some holes for Gurley.

This will be the first time we will see the right side rookie duo (Cody Wichmann/ Rob Havenstein) start a game together. Havenstein has missed 3 complete games & unable to finish 3 other games due to lower leg injuries. Wichmann has started the last two games & started next to Rookie Andrew Donnal & then Garrett Reynolds. So CW gets his first chance to play with the official starting Rams right tackle RH. We might get a look into the future right side combo this Sunday.

Demetrius Rhaney returns back to being the #6 OL'er along with other interior OL'er actives Eric Kush & Brain Folkerts both dressed the last two games. Rams only back OT Isaiah Battle has yet to dress this season.Sure would be nice for the Rams OL to make it through this game without any injuries & intact.

Rams OL goes from a patched up configuration:
LT-Robinson
LG-Rhaney
OC-Barnes
RG-Wichmann
RT-Reynolds

Back to a more solid stronger line up:
LT-Robinson
LG-Reynolds
OC-Barnes
RG-Wichmann (R)
RT-Havenstein (R)

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
the only issue i'm seeing is how many games the Rams rookie linemen are missing. which rookie hasnt missed at least a game / preseason games this year?? just plain insanity for any cohesion. reynolds has been one of the best off season line moves in quite some time for the offense.