Rams Practice Report 10/7: Austin's Progression, Focusing on Green Bay/Simmons

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Practice Report 10/7: Austin's Progression, Focusing on Green Bay
By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-107-Austins-Progression-Focusing-on-Green-Bay/7474f027-dd09-4324-a9b3-b45702bc6712

Having been nominated for multiple accolades in the aftermath of his 146-yard performance at Arizona, Todd Gurley was the undisputed break-out player from Sunday’s contest in Arizona. Because of that, perhaps lost in the shuffle was wide receiver Tavon Austin’s outstanding game.

Austin caught six passes for 96 yards with two touchdowns, adding two carries for 20 yards. The West Virginia product ran end arounds, caught balls over the middle, and even went deep to make a grab on a Nick Foles pass. The performance highlighted nearly all of Austin’s strengths on the football field.

“We’ve said it all off season and camp, Tavon Austin’s a complete player,” offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti said on Wednesday. “He’s a great route runner -- whether it’s taking the top off or running intermediate routes, short routes. He has a unique skill set where we can get him touches on the perimeter. He’s doing a great job. I’m very impressed with his play and his preparation.”

“I’m just thankful for the opportunity that I have,” Austin said. “I’m thankful for how ‘Cig' and the coaching staff is trying to find ways to get me the ball. So I’m just going to keep on pushing. Keep on doing what I’m doing and need to do, and hopefully keep making plays.”

There were a few instances where Austin and Gurley were able to make plays because of the different skills both bring -- most notably on Gurley’s 52-yard run in the fourth quarter. That long run was set up by an Austin end around the play before.

“I think you have two players that have unique skill sets,” Cignetti said of Austin and Gurley. “We’re just going to continue to try to put Tavon in position to make plays.”

Austin said it’s not just Gurley, as the Rams have plenty of talent in their backfield.

“I can play off of anybody, to be honest,” Austin said. “We’ve got a one-two duo because we’ve got so many great players on this team. So we’re going to keep pushing forward with whoever is back there for us.”

STAYING FOCUSED FOR GREEN BAY

Austin also mentioned Wednesday the mindset the Rams have to keep when preparing for Green Bay this week. Austin said when the team beat Seattle in Week 1, it went through the next week a little too high.

“We kind of forgot about, this is the NFL and there are some great teams in this league,” Austin said. “So right now, we’re focused like we lost the last game. We’re grinding every day. We’re just ready to keep putting a couple more days together and get it done on Sunday.”

It’s part of the process of learning how to win consistently. Austin said the team gained plenty from going through the experience of Week 1 and Week 2.

“We learned a lot,” Austin said. “Basically, you learned this is the NFL. There are great teams. Any team can be beaten on any day. That’s the mindset that we have today.”

The wide receiver alluded to linebacker James Laurinaitis explaining how the mental side of the game can impact not only the practice week, but also the performance on Sunday. The middle linebacker said it’s a matter of working consistently as an individual.

“I asked [the team] to just look at themselves in the mirror and make sure you're preparing as hard as you were last week,” Laurinaitis said. “It's really easy to prepare and be upset after a close loss, [but] are you preparing the same way after a big win on the road?”

“I think we are,” Laurinaitis continued. “I get the sense that we are. We're practicing really hard, like we did last week, but we'll see. We just want to make sure preparation's the same despite all the feel-good about the win.”

As Austin put it, going up against a 4-0 team with arguably the league’s best quarterback is motivation enough to keep the team focused.

“We know that if we slip at any time, it’ll be a problem,” Austin said. “We’re definitely working hard. We know what we’ve got in front of us. We know that they’re a great team. We’re just going to come in there, try to do our best, and try to come up with a win.”

GET UP OFFA THAT THING

With a loud Green Bay crowd expected at Lambeau Field on Sunday, head coach Jeff Fisher has implemented music at practice in order to get the team used to dealing with noise and distractions.

“We’re just kind of substituting crowd noise for a little bit of music and get them to focus a little bit,” Fisher said. “It’s been good, and rather than turn it off when the defense goes on the field, we just left it on. The defense can communicate through it too. So, it worked for us last week.”

Both offensive and defensive players recognize the benefits of having the tunes on during the sessions.

“I think it’s great for us just having distractions,” Foles said. “I’m a big guy on making it hostile at practice as much as possible in the sense of making guys distracted by hearing the music, making it loud for communication purposes. We have to over-communicate in the huddle. We have to over-communicate at the line.”

“Guys have to really pay attention to the play because at first you want to dance to it,” Foles continued. “Guys want to enjoy it, but you realize you’ve got to hear the play call, you’ve got to play. It’s sort of getting you as ready as possible to step into the game and having all of the crowd noise, having all of the adrenaline. You get it a little bit in practice so you can be better prepared for the game.”

Laurinaitis said when he was in college at Ohio State, then-head coach Jim Tressel would utilize a similar method of loud music mixed with white noise.

“It forces you to communicate in those situations,” Laurinaitis said. “You don't want the first time going into Lambeau and it's third down and the first time these guys are going silent count all week is on Sunday. So it forces us to get through those things during the week, so it's not a surprise on the weekend.”

One other element the team is using to simulate noise is an air horn for the defensive line. Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers is the best in the business in drawing players offsides with his hard count. And so the Rams have been using an air horn at the line of scrimmage just to do something a little extra in preparation for it.

“That’s just a message to the D-line on the hard count. No one uses the hard count better than Aaron,” Fisher said. “And everybody week after week, you’ll read clips and things and all the defensives work against it. ‘We were ready for it.’ He pulls them offsides two or three times a game. So, I woke them up in their meeting room this morning with the horn, just to send a message.”

INJURY REPORT

On Wednesday’s injury report, both running back Chase Reynolds (knee) and Eugene Sims (knee) were back for a full practice.

Only safety Maurice Alexander (groin) and linebacker Alec Ogletree (ankle) did not participate.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Well I hope the team really did figure out that you cannot just cruise through a week after a win. There Tavon said admitted that they were slacking at practice from the euphoria of beating Seattle and laid an egg against a team they should have easily defeated...a team the shut out last season and has also not looked good since. WTH kind of coaching is that. It's taken them 4 years to learn that?!

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams report: WR Bailey will appeal $8,681 fine for TD celebration
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_7b392585-e552-52eb-b91a-b2c3f6310eca.html

Rams' receiver Stedman Bailey confirmed Wednesday that he's been fined $8,681 for his celebration following an 18-yard touchdown reception in the third quarter of the team's 24-22 win over the host Arizona Cardinals.

After hauling in the perfectly placed pass from Nick Foles at the back corner of the end zone to put the visiting Rams on top 17-9, the third-year pro from West Virginia appeared to take a quick nap, using the football as a pillow.

Bailey said that he would appeal the fine, but did not seem very optimistic.

During his Monday visit with the media, Rams coach Jeff Fisher did not see the humor in the situation.

“I've already addressed it,'' the coach said. “Probably should've been penalized, which would've hurt us... He used the ball as a prop. It's a foul. It's a 15-yard-penalty and you're kicking off from the 15-yard line, and that's not part of what we do.''

INJURY REPORT

The only Rams who didn't practice Wednesday were linebacker Alec Ogletree, who has surgery on his ankle/leg Tuesday morning and safety Maurice Alexander (Eureka High), who suffered a groin injury in the team's loss to Pittsburgh and sat out last weekend's game at Arizona.

Two players who suffered knee injuries in the Rams' season-opening win over Seattle, defensive end Eugene Sims and running back Chase Reynolds, are back at practice and working to get back in the lineup Sunday when the Rams play the Packers in Green Bay.

For the Packers, WR Devante Adams (ankle), S Morgan Burnett (calf) and LB Jake Ryan (hamstring) sat out Wednesday's workout, with T Bryan Bulaga (knee), WR Randall Cobb (shoulder), CB Demetri Goodson (hamstring) and WR James Jones (hamstring) limited.

Linebackers Clay Matthews (quad) and Jayrone Elliott (quad) were full participants in the Wednesday practice.

RAM-BLING

Safety T.J. McDonald is wearing Ogletree's No. 52 jersey in practice, honoring his injured teammate.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
“We’re just kind of substituting crowd noise for a little bit of music and get them to focus a little bit,” Fisher said. “It’s been good, and rather than turn it off when the defense goes on the field, we just left it on. The defense can communicate through it too. So, it worked for us last week.”
Music? Why not use recordings of crowd noise?

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams notes: DE Sims, RB Reynolds return to practice
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_021439f5-5b81-508a-a24d-407d8987c3c6.html

After three long weeks, defensive end Eugene Sims and running back Chase Reynolds returned for their first full practice Wednesday at Rams Park.

Both players suffered knee injuries in the team’s season-opening overtime win over Seattle. Neither required surgery.

Reynolds, the team’s leading tackler on special teams a year ago, was hurt on the first punt of 2015.

“I got knocked down and when I got up, one of their guys hit me from the side,” Reynolds recalled. “When I tried to get up to make the tackle, that’s when I knew something was wrong.’’

Seahawks’ rookie Tyler Lockett ran past Reynolds to finish off a 57-yard return to put Seattle on top.

“Getting hurt, it’s a test and how you respond is a test of character,’’ Reynolds said. “It’s tough sitting on the sideline, not being able to contribute, but first and foremost, I knew I had to get healthy and get back with the team. Got to press it a little today, going full speed, and it really felt good. I’ll keep working hard and hopefully be out there again on Sunday.’’

The Rams (2-2) travel to Wisconsin to take on the Green Bay Packers (4-0) in a noon game Sunday at Lambeau Field.

Sims, a sixth-year pro, was hurt while sacking Seattle’s Russell Wilson on the final play of regulation.

“I was pretty happy with the way I played, so sure it was frustrating,’’ said Sims, who also had three tackles, a quarterback pressure and a quarterback hit in the opener. “But now, it’s just moving forward. It’s just good to be out on the field with my teammates, my brothers, and getting a chance to play football again.

“The leg feels good. Now it’s up to the coaches; if they need me on Sunday, I’ll be ready.’’

The only available player who did not practice with the Rams Wednesday was safety Maurice Alexander (groin).

For the Packers, WR Devante Adams (ankle), S Morgan Burnett (calf) and LB Jake Ryan (hamstring) sat out Wednesday’s workout, with T Bryan Bulaga (knee), WR Randall Cobb (shoulder), CB Demetri Goodson (hamstring) and WR James Jones (hamstring) limited.

Linebackers Clay Matthews (quad) and Jayrone Elliott (quad) were full participants Wednesday.

LOOSE BALLS

Late in the third quarter of Sunday’s 24-22 win over the Cardinals in Arizona, the Rams fumbled twice in three plays and somehow managed to maintain possession.

On a first down from the Rams’ 7, the Big Red’s Tyrann Mathieu stripped the ball from Todd Gurley. The loose ball was surrounded by the black jerseys of the Cardinals, but Gurley alertly knocked it from between the legs of one Arizona player and fellow rookie Rob Havenstein came up with the recovery.

“Ball was right there, still loose, so I dove in and jumped on it,’’ said right tackle Havenstein. “Nobody really had it, so I figured I’d take it.

“Any play can be a potentially huge play and that one worked out for us.’’

Two plays later, the Rams caught a break when Benny Cunningham caught a screen pass and had the ball knocked away by Calais Campbell. But the officials ruled the play dead, saying that Cunningham’s forward progress had been stopped.

“Well, I’m just glad they called forward progress,’’ Rams coach Jeff Fisher said early this week. “We need to protect the football.’’

The Rams finished strong as Gurley ran for 106 yards in the fourth quarter to help secure the two-point win.

“As an offensive line, we obviously played better in the second half, but mainly it was just Todd getting on a roll,’’ Havenstein said. “Once he gets going, it’s pretty tough for a defense to slow him down. And that tends to get everybody around him pumped up, too. He’s a pretty special back.’’

MOVIE TIME

Defensive ends William Hayes and Chris Long are once again teaming up to raise awareness for homelessness. The two will host a private screening of the film “Time Out of Mind’’ starring Richard Gere Thursday at 6 p.m. at the Tivoli Landmark Theatre.The unique event, which will raise funds to provide housing for the homeless, will feature a pre-screening meet and greet with Hayes and Long at 6:15 p.m. as well as an interactive panel discussion following the screening.Tickets are $20 and include a small popcorn and small soda. Tickets can be purchased at https://hayeslongscreening.eventbrite.com. The film is rated R.

“Any time you can try to make a difference and promote homeless awareness, it’s important,’’ said Hayes, who spent 24 hours alongside Long living on the streets of St. Louis in March. “I won’t say it didn’t matter to me before, but after learning about it and experiencing it, even for a short time, it became my problem, too. I know I can’t change homelessness by myself, but that won’t keep me from trying to make people aware and trying to make a difference.’’

RAM-BLINGS

Rams’ receiver Stedman Bailey confirmed Wednesday that he’s been fined $8,681 for his celebration following an 18-yard touchdown reception in the third quarter.After hauling in the Nick Foles’ pass, the third-year pro appeared to use the football for a pillow during an impromptu nap.Bailey said that he would appeal the fine, but did not seem very optimistic.

• Safety T.J. McDonald is wearing linebacker Alec Ogletree’s No. 52 jersey in practice, honoring his injured teammate.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well I hope the team really did figure out that you cannot just cruise through a week after a win. There Tavon said admitted that they were slacking at practice from the euphoria of beating Seattle and laid an egg against a team they should have easily defeated...a team the shut out last season and has also not looked good since. WTH kind of coaching is that. It's taken them 4 years to learn that?!

Yeah man. One would think that the team's continued inability to win the games they should win would serve as a wake up call sometime prior to season number 4 for the regime. The coaching staff does deserve all criticism there. I like to hear that from them of course, so I can hope they're finally gonna turn the corner, but I gotta say that until I see them actually string wins together against some bottom feeder teams I'm not gonna believe it.

But anyway, I don't think GB will be a problem. Rams will be up for this game and whether they win or lose will have a lot to do with how the defense plays. This offense will not be able to keep up with Rogers in a shootout.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yeah man. One would think that the team's continued inability to win the games they should win would serve as a wake up call sometime prior to season number 4 for the regime. The coaching staff does deserve all criticism there. I like to hear that from them of course, so I can hope they're finally gonna turn the corner, but I gotta say that until I see them actually string wins together against some bottom feeder teams I'm not gonna believe it.

But anyway, I don't think GB will be a problem. Rams will be up for this game and whether they win or lose will have a lot to do with how the defense plays. This offense will not be able to keep up with Rogers in a shootout.

It seems that some players are starting to take ownership and grow up to be professionals. Maybe I shouldn't have expected it any sooner, until they were able to get some real stars on their team that know how to lead. Guys like Gurley know how to practice to be successful. I think Foles is the same. Donald, McDonald, of course Long. But when most of the team was made up of guys that were never leaders or motivators maybe it is too much for the coaches to try to motivate. I mentored/counseled some young 'malcontents' for 8 years. Some of those guys were impossible to coach to have a positive outlook and believe in themselves. Maybe the overall number of players with the right mindset can make it happen on the Rams.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Totally agree.

That annoyed me when I read it... after 4 years, you'd think this coaching staff would be able to see the warning signs that players aren't taking the next opponent seriously.

It's a short season... every game counts... wasting one like Washington because they overlooked them is really annoying to me. A shame, really.

But, what's past is past... if they don't overlook some of the easier opponents after the bye, I'll believe they really learned their lesson.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Fisher seems to be all over that TD celebration of Bailey's. "That's not what we are ll about'.

That is so funny that he gets pissed about that one celebration, yet penalties and laying eggs against bad teams have lingered here since he has been around.

Fasnacht

UDFA
Love Tavon's attitude. No drama from him and working hard. I think it really tells in the matter of fact way Cigs talks about him in his presser, too.

Tavon and the threat of him opened it up for Gurley, Sunday, and then Gurley returned the favor...The second half last week was the offense a lot of folks have been looking for for a while now...