Rams Practice Report 10/6: Gurley's Maturity, Dunbar's Back

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Practice Report 10/6: Gurley's Maturity, Dunbar's Back

By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-106-Gurleys-Maturity-Dunbars-Back/86dfa917-35ec-48d5-8b85-469a83370f83

Running back Todd Gurley made a splash with his 146-yard performance on Sunday afternoon. And he said Tuesday his knee felt just fine the next day.

“Nothing the cold tub and recovery boost can’t help,” Gurley said.

Of course, 144 of those yards came in the second half. And on Tuesday, Gurley again gave all credit to his offensive line for the outburst.

“Those guys up front just imposed their will on the defensive line and those guys did great,” Gurley said.

The running back admitted on some occasions during his rehab process, he felt unsure he’d be able to take a string of carries again like he did on Sunday.

“I knew that was the biggest thing coming back and starting practice is being able to if things get rolling and you start doing good, you have to expect the ball,” Gurley said. “That’s why we practice the way we do -- finish our runs, run back to the huddle and keep running again.”

The sequence of four runs in the middle of the third quarter to set up a touchdown somewhat signaled just how well Gurley has gotten back into game shape.

“I think what everyone expected, was after he broke the first long one -- where we had the celebration and the delay -- that you expected to see Tre [Mason] go in. And [Gurley] said he was fine,” head coach Jeff Fisher said. “He goes, ‘No I’m going. I’m going to finish this drive.’ That’s a really good indication of where he is right now.”

“I just felt good,” Gurley said. “In practice I’ll be tired as ever. But in a game, I don’t know why, sometimes I am not as tired as I am in practice. I don’t know what it was, but hopefully it keeps going.”

One of the more significant moments in Sunday’s game came when Gurley decided to go down on a 30-yard run late in the fourth quarter, allowing the offense to run out the clock. It was a sign of maturity not usually seen from a rookie running back in just his second game.

But much like quarterback Nick Foles said after the contest, head coach Jeff Fisher remarked on Tuesday that it was the kind of action the Rams have come to expect from Gurley.

“He’s done all of the extra things. He’s that complete back,” Fisher said. “That’s the reason we drafted him, because we knew he was like that. All of the information we got out of the University of Georgia was all true. This is the kind of young man that he is. He’s a real pro.”

It also speaks to the way Gurley takes coaching. He said Tuesday that he didn’t think he had ever been in that scenario before. Clearly, he was ready for it.

“We go over it,” Gurley said. “The coaches do a good job of going over those situations. As a player, that’s your job to understand and listen to what the coaches say, and execute.”

Now the next step for the Georgia product may be taking off the knee brace. Gurley has been using it since he arrived in St. Louis, in part for his own safety. But the running back said he can feel a difference with it on and off.

“If you look over at me on the sidelines messing with it every five seconds,” he said, but added there are, “no excuses with or without the brace -- I still have to go out there and do my job.”

No matter if he wears it or not, if Gurley is able to put a few games together like Sunday, he will be right on his way to a strong rookie season.

JO-LONN DUNBAR RETURNS

With Alec Ogletree’s long-term injury, the Rams signed Jo-Lonn Dunbar to provide depth at linebacker. The club released Dunbar in the last round of cuts at the beginning of September, but he should be fine to slide in and play due to his familiarity with the system.

“I’ve known this defense for the last six years of my life,” Dunbar said on Tuesday. “There are some new calls, some new language, and some new things they’ve put in. But outside of that, it’s almost like me learning from the beginning. I know the defense, I know the calls, I know the structure, I know the guys, so I feel comfortable.

“He knows the defense -- that’s why we brought him back,” Fisher said. “He stayed in shape, came back, and it’s like he’s never left. He has a good feel for what we’re doing.”

The linebacker said while the reason he’s been brought back is unfortunate, he’s happy to be back in a familiar locker room.

“It’s almost like I never left,” Dunbar said. “They’re all friends of mine, they’re all accepting. It’s easy to come back in this locker room and fit in.”

While Dunbar said he’s not necessarily sure the exact role he’ll be playing on the defense, he’s played all the positions within it.

“Whatever that role may be, I’ll accept it and I’ll play,” Dunbar said. “Whatever they want me to do, I’ll do to the best of my ability.”

OGLETREE UPDATE

Fisher said Ogletree underwent successful surgery on Tuesday morning to repair his fracture. While the team will not put him on injured reserve at this point, Fisher said the linebacker will still be out for longer than eight weeks.

“We have decided not to use the IR designation at this point,” Fisher said. “He’ll be out -- designated as a Sunday inactive and out. We’ll just kind of see how things go, and there’s a chance for a return. We’re just going to see how things go.”

As for the 53-man roster, the Rams still had an open spot with the Chris Givens trade for Dunbar to take. Running back Trey Watts is off his four-game suspension and is practicing, but has a one-week roster exemption. Fisher said St. Louis will use that and then re-evaluate the roster next week.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Head coach Jeff Fisher talks about Alec Ogletree’s surgery, the return of Jo-Lonn Dunbar and his opinion of Todd Gurley.

Watch Fisher's Presser

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
So do you expect Dunbar to comeback ready and motivated, or do you expect him to be invisible and not make much of a difference?

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
So do you expect Dunbar to comeback ready and motivated, or do you expect him to be invisible and not make much of a difference?
Well invisible is a plus in my opinion. I'd rather him be invisible then us hearing his name for mistakes or misses. Can't really expect much more from someone who isn't on a roster through week 4.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notebook: Gurley showed talent, smarts in Sunday's win
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_e04a84f2-b8a3-5e30-8c72-d83fd75d2055.html

The first 11 carries of Todd Gurley’s NFL career produced a total of seven yards. But it’s the next 14 that have football fans buzzing.

Making his first start in a 24-22 win over the host Arizona Cardinals Sunday, Gurley shook off a slow start — four carries for two yards in the first half — to finish the day with 146 yards on 19 carries. Of those, 106 yards came on nine fourth-quarter runs.

After a third-quarter stretch of four consecutive carries that included runs of 23 and 12 yards, Gurley ripped off a 52-yarder on his second rush of the final period.

“Guys were just excited,’’ the 21-year-old Gurley said Tuesday after practice at Rams Park. “Things were just flowing for us — finally. As an offense, there were a lot of (first-half) three-and-outs and their defense was holding us down. So it just felt good to go out and have a run like that.

“Every run’s not going to be 10 yards. If it’s a yard and that’s what the defense gives you, you gotta take it. But if you’re running it 19 times, hopefully at least one or two of those are going to be big plays.’’

The excitement generated by the 52-yard run proved to be a little too much, however, as the Rams followed up with a delay-of-game call.

“It became a problem I had to address with the team because they acted like it was a touchdown,’’ Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. “Everybody ran on the field and celebrated and we couldn’t get the personnel group and substitutes in. ... It was a boost, but it was also a good lesson to be learned from a standpoint of expecting big plays.’’

Selected with the 10th overall pick in the spring draft, Gurley had ACL surgery on his left knee in November. On Tuesday, he practiced for the first time without a knee brace.

“Just wanted to try it, to test it out without the brace,’’ he said. “If you see me on the sideline, I’m messing with (the brace) every five seconds. Safety first (but) with or without the brace, I still have to do the job.’’

Gurley, who also caught two passes for 15 yards in Sunday’s win, said his success started with the offensive line.

“Those guys up front, they just imposed their will on the defensive line,’’ he said.

Gurley showed his savvy on his final run of the game, bypassing on a chance to score his first NFL TD by going to the turf at the Arizona 8-yard line to help the Rams simply run out the clock.

“I was just happy we got the win; that’s all I cared about,’’ he said. “The coaches do a good job of going over those situations and as a player, it’s your job to understand and listen to what the coaches say and execute.’’

Fisher added: “That’s the reason we drafted him, because we knew he was like that. All the information we got out of the University of Georgia was all true. This is the kind of young man that he is. He’s a real pro.’’

WATTS RETURNS

Trey Watts, a second-year running back and special teams contributor, returned to practice Tuesday after serving a four-game suspension for violating the league’s substance abuse policy. With a one-week roster exemption, it’s unclear if he will suit up for Sunday’s game in Green Bay.“At this point, I’m not sure what my role will be, so I’m just going to focus on working hard and trying to make sure I’m ready when I’m needed,’’ he said. “I’m just so happy to be back out there with the guys again.’’Signed as an undrafted free agent, Watts played in 14 games as a rookie last year and showed plenty of versatility with seven runs for 30 yards and three catches for 18 yards. But his main contribution was on special teams, where he finished among the team leaders with nine tackles.

During his suspension, Watts was allowed to work out and attend team meetings. But he was not allowed on the practice field.

“It was tough, not being out there with the guys and being able to be supportive and to contribute,’’ he said. “I was able to get in a lot of good work in the preseason, so hopefully it won’t take me too long to get back in the swing of things.’’

Watts, a University of Tulsa product, ran for a team-high 98 yards and a touchdown and was second on the squad with eight catches for 58 yards during the preseason.

RAM-BLINGS

Gurley’s stellar Sunday has him nominated for a pair of weekly awards: the Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Week and the Fed-Ex Air and Ground Player of the Week.Others in the Pepsi Rookie voting are: San Diego kicker Josh Lambo, Cleveland running back Duke Johnson, Baltimore linebacker Za’Darius Smith and Jacksonville running back T.J. Yeldon. Fans can vote until 2 p.m. on Friday at nfl.com/rookies.Gurley is up against New Orleans’ Drew Brees, San Diego’s Philip Rivers, Cincinnati’s Andy Dalton, the New York Jets’ Chris Ivory and Baltimore’s Justin Forsett for the Fed-Ex honor. Voting runs through Thursday at 2 p.m. at nfl.com/FedEx.

• Defensive end Eugene Sims and running back Chase Reynolds returned to practice Tuesday. Both have been out since suffering knee injuries in the team’s season-opening win over Seattle.

• A day after being released from the Jets’ practice squad, wide receiver/kick returner Walter Powell (Hazelwood East) has been signed to Buffalo’s practice squad.

• Center Barrett Jones, a Rams’ fourth-round draft pick in 2013, has been signed to Chicago’s practice squad. Jones, a highly decorated college player from Alabama, was cut at the end of training camp after failing to win in a three-way battle for the center spot with Tim Barnes and Demetrius Rhaney.

Jones spent time with Pittsburgh’s practice squad earlier this season.

RamBill

Legend
Dunbar's back, Ayers ready to roll
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_d16abf95-6aa0-5853-ab63-a111edeb115d.html

All things considered, it was a pretty seamless Tuesday at the linebacker position.

Jo-Lonn Dunbar is back with the Rams — he has his old jersey number (58) and even his old locker stall at Rams Park.

And Akeem Ayers is back at weakside linebacker, where he spent a good portion of his first three seasons in the league.

So life goes on minus leading tackler Alec Ogletree, who underwent surgery Tuesday in St. Louis to repair a fractured fibula. Coach Jeff Fisher originally announced the injury as a fractured ankle (on Monday) but corrected himself Tuesday.

“Right now, he has a really sore ankle,” Fisher said. “He had his fibula repaired.”

For now, the Rams have not put Ogletree on the injured reserve list — either the season-ending version or the injured reserve/designated for return variety. With running back Trey Watts back from a four-game NFL suspension and getting a one-week roster exemption, the Rams can wait a week to decide Ogletree’s precise status.

“It’s going to be longer than eight weeks, but there’s a chance for a return,” Fisher said, referring to how long Ogletree will be sidelined.

That means for the long haul, it’s Ayers taking over for Ogletree at the weakside linebacker spot.

“Alec was doing such a good job,” linebackers coach Frank Bush said. “The maturity level had gone up so high. It’s hard to say, ‘OK, we’re gonna take this guy and replace what that was.’”

So no one expects Ayers to do what Ogletree was doing, not even Ayers. But there’s a comfort level that Ayers should at least bring a degree of competency to the task at hand.

“Akeem did a good job coming into the game for Alec in the Arizona game,” Bush said. “He didn’t try to play above his head or below his head; he just tried to play his game and he was able to have success doing it.”

And it’s not as if the position is new for Ayers.

Bush, who coached Ayers when both were Tennessee Titans, said Ayers played some weakside linebacker as a rookie in 2011 but was used exclusively there in nickel packages in 2012.

“So he’s got some experience at it,” Bush said. “We like him when he’s rushing the passer. That’s what we liked in Tennessee. But he’s matured. He’s grown a little bit. He knows a little bit more defense. So we’re comfortable with him being off the ball and kind of interchanging and doing some other stuff with him.”

Simply stated, the strongside linebacker — where Ayers had been playing — lines up on the tight end side of the field, and is used to a large degree on running downs. When opposing teams go to three-wide receiver sets, the strongside ’backer leaves the game in favor of the nickel back. (For the Rams that’s Lamarcus Joyner.)

Rams opponents have used a lot of three-wide receiver sets so far this season. That, plus the effectiveness of safety Mark Barron lining up in a linebacker-type role in certain packages, has kept Ayers on the bench a lot. Probably more than he anticipated when he signed a free-agent deal with the Rams in March.

“Whenever you’re a football player, I think anyone will tell you that they want to play a lot, and they want to have impact on games,” Ayers said.

In the Rams’ first four games, Ayers was on the field only about 24 percent of the time. He will be on the field a lot more playing the weakside spot — Ogletree, in fact, never left the field. So although he obviously takes no joy in Ogletree’s injury, Ayers is looking forward to the opportunity.

“Unfortunately, injuries are part of the game,” Ayers said. “So there’s gonna be times when (somebody) is gonna be down. Whether it’s a game, or a couple weeks.”

Or in this case, two months-plus. Perhaps the entire season.

“So you always just need to be ready,” Ayers said. “‘Tree’ was playing that position at a high level. He’s been very productive at that position — tackles, sacks. He was all over the field.

“By him playing the position so high, when I come in ... I want to keep that same level of intensity going. We have different games. He does what he does; I do what I do. So I’m just gonna get in there and play football like I know how to play.”

Meanwhile, Dunbar will try to get up to speed as quickly as possible. A surprise roster cut on Sept. 5, he has been gone only a month. During that time, Dunbar had been training four, five days a week back home in Miami staying ready just in case.

“It’s a little hard to know I left,” Dunbar said after Tuesday’s practice. “But it’s almost like I never left. The guys, they’re all accepting. They’re all friends of mine. So it was easy to come back in this locker room and fit.”

In particular, Dunbar stayed in touch with defensive end Chris Long and linebacker James Laurinaitis following his release. In fact, Dunbar said he was awakened by a text from Long in the wee hours Sunday night/early Monday morning following the Arizona game and the Ogletree injury.

“He was asking me what was going on,” Dunbar said, laughing.

Dunbar’s reply?

“I’ll be there in the morning, brother,” Dunbar told Long.

He arrived in St. Louis on Monday, took a physical and re-signed with the Rams on Tuesday.

“He knows the defense,” Bush said. “He’s ready to go. He stayed in great shape. We know that he’s a veteran player. If we have to call his number, he’ll be ready to go. So it was a good transition. He’s a comfort zone for coaches, and his attitude was great when he walked in the door.”

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I hope Gurley keeps the brace on in games and off at practice. Then after few practice weeks take it off for games. The brace would limit motion to some extent, so that would mean that whatever support he was getting from the brace, would be causing some weakness on some of the support muscles. He needs to get them all to full strength first IMO.

I also figured they would spell him a bit with Mason. Once the line starts blocking consistently, Tre will be able to move the ball too with his speed.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
With Alec Ogletree’s long-term injury, the Rams signed Jo-Lonn Dunbar to provide depth at linebacker. The club released Dunbar in the last round of cuts at the beginning of September, but he should be fine to slide in and play due to his familiarity with the system.
I think this is a great move!! JMHO
He knows the system and has a great locker-room presents! He knows how to pump-up the Team!!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
“We go over it,” Gurley said. “The coaches do a good job of going over those situations. As a player, that’s your job to understand and listen to what the coaches say, and execute.”
Sing it from the mountaintops, Todd!!!