Rams Practice Report 10/23: Matchup of Elites with Quinn, Thomas

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Practice Report 10/23: Matchup of Elites with Quinn, Thomas
By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-1023-Matchup-of-Elites-with-Quinn-Thomas/8e0f724c-3a1b-4565-bde7-04c9050bb910

With the Browns coming to town for Sunday’s contest, there are plenty of interesting matchups across the board. But one that provides a certain amount of intrigue will pit one of the league’s best left tackles against one of its best defensive ends.

St. Louis’ Robert Quinn and Cleveland’s Joe Thomas have been thought of as elite players for a number of years, and it’s no different in 2015. Thomas has not only started every game as the Browns’ left tackle since he entered the league in 2007, but he’s also played every snap.

“He's a great left tackle,” Quinn said Friday. “To be in year eight and dubbed a future Hall of Famer is a great sign of respect for him and the work he put into the game.”

While there aren’t many statistics that show just how well Thomas has played in his career, he’s received postseason honors each year since Cleveland drafted him No. 3 overall. He is a five-time first-team All Pro, and is an eight-time Pro Bowl selection. Those eight All-Star games trail only Jim Brown and Lou Groza (nine) as the most in Browns franchise history.

With the Rams’ vaunted pass rush led by Quinn and defensive tackle Aaron Donald, Cleveland quarterback Josh McCown said he feels a bit better going into the Edward Jones Dome with Thomas blocking for him.

“I think anytime you have Joe Thomas at left tackle as a quarterback, there’s a comfort level because of his ability to play a high level,” McCown said. “So, I do feel better, but I also understand that Robert Quinn is as good as it gets in this league as a pass rusher. So, it’ll be a great match-up and fun for people to watch these two guys go at it.”

For his part, Quinn sees it the same way.

“It's a fun matchup. I enjoy them all the time -- best on best,” Quinn said. “It makes me want to try to prove myself and push myself a little bit more.”

Thomas has been going against a string of strong pass rushers, having faced Baltimore and Denver over the past few weeks. But he said this weak each team presents its own set of unique challenges.

“There’s no two great pass rushers who are all the same,” said Thomas, via ClevelandBrowns.com. “It’s really just about spending the time during the week, watching the film, focusing on your technique during practice, trying to take good pass sets, and playing hard and hoping for the best.”

Because the Browns are an unfamiliar opponent -- the last time the two teams faced off against one another was in 2011 -- Quinn said some extra film study is required, especially for someone like Thomas.

“It's all you can do right now -- and of course [there’s] the practice field,” Quinn said. “But as of now, just film study and try to pick up on some keys. But you really get a better feel in the game. We don't play them often so film is a big thing. You better be able to translate it fast come Sunday.”

As the Rams’ season nears its midpoint, Quinn said he can see things coming together for the team. But they still have to go out and execute to their potential.

“I hope guys can really focus one week at a time, just planning on going 1-0 every week,” Quinn said. “I think the players in this locker room are some pretty great pieces in here. I think it's a team that can do it, but we still have to go out there and prove it on Sunday no matter what our team looks like on paper.”

INJURY REPORT

The Rams had good news along much of the injury front with the final report on Friday.

While Quinn (knee) did not practice earlier in the week, he was a full participant on Friday and is listed as probable. Cornerback Janoris Jenkins has passed the concussion protocol, was a full participant in practice and is also listed as probable.

After sitting out earlier in the week, wide receiver Tavon Austin (thigh) was a limited participant on Friday and is listed as questionable. Tight end Lance Kendricks (hand) similarly did not practice earlier in the week, but was limited on Friday and is questionable.

Running back Tre Mason (ankle) did not practice all week and is questionable.

Chris Long (knee) has been ruled out for Sunday. Alec Ogletree (ankle) remains on the active roster, and has also been declared out.

ROSTER MOVE

With Mason questionable for Sunday, the Rams promoted running back Trey Watts to the active roster from the practice squad and waived safety Christian Bryant.

The Rams signed Watts as an undrafted free agent out of Tulsa in 2014, and the running back was a major contributor on special teams last year. Prior to serving a four-game suspension to start the regular season, Watts flashed in the 2015 preseason. He rushed for 98 yards on 24 carries and had eight receptions for 58 yards in the four exhibition matchups.

FILLING IN FOR OGLETREE

The Rams will be without Ogletree for an extended period of time, and on Friday, defensive coordinator Gregg Williams said he was pleased with the way St. Louis filled in for the linebacker in Green Bay.

“We managed a lot of different personnel packages and managed a lot of different people through there and it worked out pretty good,” Williams said.

One of the players involved in the process is Mark Barron, who has been utilized both as a safety and linebacker within Williams’ scheme.

“We have 42 ways to add up to 11,” Williams said. “We have 42 packages of defense that we’ll trot 11 guys out there. We play the same kind of a defensive structure, but we have different people playing different spots. He fits in that very well. I’ve been real proud of him, too.”

And with Barron moving primarily to linebacker, Lamarcus Joyner has become all the more entrenched as the team’s nickel corner. Williams said Friday he’s proud of the Florida State product for how far he’s been able to come along over the last year.

“I’m so proud of his adapting to the National Football League and all of the sudden becoming a student of the game,” Williams said, adding he may have been a little hard on the defensive back last year. “He has reacted very well to that type of coaching and mentoring. I’m proud of him. I really am proud of him. He’s played well and he’s vital to our success. He was very vital in this last ball game. And as you guys watch how he played on [Packers wide receiver Randall] Cobb? Wow. That’s a testament to ‘getting it.’”

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Quinn has only been shut down completely once that I've ever seen. And that was Tyron Smith. I would say Thomas is better. So we will need Donald and Brockers to really step it up this Sunday.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Head coach Jeff Fisher gives several injury updates, talks about the strengths of Cleveland and addresses the importance of Sunday’s game

Watch Fisher's Presser

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I don't get why they don't move Quinn over to LDE for a better match up this week. Put Will Hayes over Thomas and let him handle that post and get the favorable match up to Quinn. I don't know if there is a RT in the league that could deal with Quinn consistently. The athletic LT's with great technique seem to give Quinn all he can handle like Smith mentioned above. I have no doubt Thomas will be the same way. I wish they were more creative getting match ups along the D line. I remember Quinn lining up at DT in passing situations a few times against the Bucs in 13 and having success. More please!

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Quinn expects to be challenged Sunday
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_6c2bab63-c677-5a94-b40e-194b4df9c2de.html

Rams defensive end Robert Quinn is looking forward to the challenge.

On Sunday, when the Rams host the Cleveland Browns in a noon game at the Edward Jones Dome, Quinn, a two-time Pro Bowl selection, will get a chance to go up against Browns left tackle Joe Thomas, a ninth-year pro and an eight-time Pro Bowl choice.

“Kind of a best on best kind of thing, I guess,’’ Quinn said following practice Friday at Rams Park. “Eight years, eight Pro Bowls, that pretty well speaks for the talent he displays. It’ll be a fun matchup, going up against a future Hall-of-Famer, at least in my book.

“As a competitor, these are the kind of matchups you work for. Makes me want to try and prove myself, push myself just a little bit more.’’

Quinn, who leads the Rams with four sacks, was slowed early in the week with a knee issue but was a full participant in practice Friday. He’s listed as probable for Sunday.

“I’m all good,’’ he said.

Running back Tre Mason sat out again Friday with an injured ankle and is listed as questionable, meaning 50-50, for Sunday.

As a result, the Rams promoted versatile running back Trey Watts from the practice squad and waived another second-year pro, safety Christian Bryant.

Tight end Lance Kendricks (finger) was limited Friday and is questionable; the same is true for receiver Tavon Austin (hamstring).

Cornerback Janoris Jenkins was a full participant Friday and is probable after completing the concussion protocol.

Defensive end Chris Long (knee) and linebacker Alec Ogletree (broken leg) will not play Sunday.

For the Browns, two-time Pro Bowl cornerback Joe Haden (concussion, finger) is out, as is tight end Rob Housler (hamstring). Also sitting out Friday’s practice in Cleveland was starting safety Tashaun Gipson (ankle), who is listed as doubtful.

Questionable after going through limited Friday workouts are defensive tackle Danny Shelton (knee), defensive lineman John Hughes III (knee), wide receiver Marlon Moore (hamstring), linebacker Tank Carder (shoulder) and linebacker Craig Robertson (ankle).

Tight end Gary Barnidge (ankle), linebacker Nate Orchard (groin) and quarterback Johnny Manziel (right elbow) are probable after full Friday workouts.

LOCAL CONNECTIONS

Signed by the Browns on Sept. 7, ex-Rams quarterback Austin Davis has yet to take a snap for Cleveland but played a key role as the scout-team QB this week.

“That’s something you definitely have to take in account because Austin knows this offense just as well as anyone,’’ Rams QB Nick Foles said. “We’ve got to be efficient with our calls and audibles.’’

Rams coach Jeff Fisher added: “He’s gone against this defense for a number of years now and he knows the offense very well. We’re mindful of that. ... But players have to play.’’

While pleased to have Davis on his team, Browns coach Mike Pettine doesn’t think the quarterback’s experience in St. Louis will be much of a factor come Sunday.

“It (helps) some, but I think that’s a little overrated,’’ the coach said. “I’ve been in this league a long time and it’s rare that you get a situation where it truly helps you a significant amount. ... Ultimately, it’s an execution league.

Davis, who signed a two-year contract extension shortly after joining the Browns, was with the Rams from 2012 through 2014. Last year, he made eight starts, completing 63.4 percent of his passes for 2,001 yards with 12 touchdowns and nine interceptions. He’s currently third on the depth chart behind 13-year veteran Josh McCown and 2014 first-round draft pick Johnny Manziel.

“Austin’s been great,’’ McCown said. “He’s just a young guy who wants to learn. Brings great energy (and) loves football.... I’m glad to have him here.’’

Cleveland right guard John Greco, a third-round draft pick by the Rams in 2008, has started the last 46 games in Cleveland after making just four starts in three seasons with the Rams. He was traded from St. Louis to Cleveland during training camp in 2011.

“I can’t say enough good things about ‘Grec.’’’ Pettine said. “John’s done a tremendous job for us. That group, our starting five, have played a lot of snaps together. John’s got position versatility _ he had to kick over last season and play some center. He’s a guy that is a worker.’’

The Cleveland defense features a pair of second-year pros with area ties — linebacker Christian Kirksey and cornerback Pierre Desir.

Kirksey, who starred at Hazelwood East and Iowa before joining the Browns as a third-round draft pick in 2014, is fourth on the team with 24 tackles. He also has a sack, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery.

“Because of Craig Robertson’s injury, Chris has had to to more on his plate and he’s done a nice job,’’ Pettine said.

A fourth-round pick in 2014, Desir played at Francis Howell Central and Lindenwood University. He started in place of Haden last week and finished with a career best 12 tackles, including 10 solos. He’s set to make his third start of the season on Sunday.

“Injuries to Joe Haden have forced (Desir) in the lineup and he’s had to cover some big-name wideouts,’’ Pettine said. “I think both those guys, what they have done is a credit to their work ethic, their professionalism.’’

RAM-BLINGS

• On Friday, Fisher said that veteran Garrett Reynolds would start at left guard, with rookie Jamon Brown moving to the right side.

“Garrett’s done a great job,’’ the coach said. “He’s a real good communicator, so he’s really going to help (left tackle) Greg Robinson over there.... ‘JB’ (Brown) and (right tackle) Rob (Havenstein) worked very well together in the preseason, so we’re going to line up and play.’’

• Line judge Sarah Thomas, the first full-time female NFL official, will be part of referee Pete Morelli’s crew working the Rams-Browns contest Sunday.

• The Chicago Bears have signed veteran defensive end Ziggy Hood. Hood, a 28-year-old who starred at Mizzou, was Pittsburgh’s first-round draft pick in 2009. He played last year in Jacksonville and was released by the Jaguars earlier this week.