Rams Practice Report 10/14: Offense Looking for Consistency

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Practice Report 10/14: Foles, Offense Looking for Consistency
By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-1014-Foles-Offense-Looking-for-Consistency/74e7917b-42d3-43cf-9490-974d426a484a

The Rams have had big wins and disappointing losses in their first five games. And as they use the bye week for some self-scouting, quarterback Nick Foles said the offense has been working to become more consistent.

“There’s some good and there’s some stuff we need to improve on. The big thing I see is we need more consistency on offense. Whether it be my play or just us moving the ball,” Foles said. “It’s the ultimate team game in the sense [that] on offense, everybody’s got to work together. It’s something that we’re working towards this week.”

So far, Foles has completed 57.4 percent of his passes this season for 956 yards with six touchdowns and five interceptions -- four of which came last week against the Packers. Still, head coach Jeff Fisher said he’s liked what he’s seen from the quarterback so far, knowing Foles still has plenty of room to grow.

“He’s going to continue to get better,” Fisher said. “He’s just become more and more familiar with our system and our players and he’ll continue to improve. So, by no means has he peaked.”

“There definitely has been some growing pains and I’m learning,” Foles said. “But where I want to be right now -- I want to keep improving every day. I am where I am right now, but I want to keep getting better. I want to keep building, keep improving. The big thing is just being consistent every week and putting us in a situation where we can win the game.”

Part of the improvement process is gaining more comfort in the offense. The quarterback is still relatively new within it, but has been able to grasp it well. Still, Foles said there is more he can do to master it.

“It’s a process. I’m learning more and more every day,” Foles said. “As long as I play this game, I’ll keep learning. We’re still improving, still figuring it out. That’ll always be the case. Guys who play in this league for 15 years will still tell you they’re still working to figure it out and get better and that’s what we’re doing.”

It’s clear the quarterback and his receivers are working to gain chemistry and comfort with one another, as they’ve been spending extra time on the field following practice.

“That’s what he does,” Fisher said of Foles. “He has a chance to look at the cut-ups and to be involved in the self-scout process. Those things understandably help. Then, as we make changes offensively, he’s involved in them -- which he should be.”

Part of that process has been getting to develop relationships with offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti and quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke.

“We’re getting to know each other more and more each week,” Foles said. “You want to build those relationships throughout the weeks. Go through these tough times together. There’s also been a lot of great things going on together, so as a group we build consistency.”

But even as he’s involved in the offensive tweaks, Foles said he’s not trying to reinvent the wheel.

“They have the system -- Cignetti’s system,” Foles said. “Me, I just try to learn the system more and more and more of what he wants from each and every play. Through time, if I see something I mention it and then we work together on how we can fit it in to what he already has.”

And so as the season continues, Foles said he feels like the offense is close to clicking, especially with the emergence of Todd Gurley in the run game.

“There’s definitely a lot of great things that are going on,” Foles said. “The key is to stay positive, keep working. Keep working on your craft. You’ve got to be critical of yourself, but at the same time, keep yourself uplifted. And that’s what the guys are doing.”

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Actually, we haven't had any big wins. We barely won our two victories. We need a blowout win against the browns next weekend to give us a good shot at anything.