Rams Practice Report 10/13:Using the Bye, Gurley's Stiff Arm

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Practice Report 10/13: Using the Bye, Gurley's Stiff Arm
By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-1013-Using-the-Bye-Gurleys-Stiff-Arm/beec41e7-30cd-4f62-aa6c-a33dd56df82a

While the Rams will be off for their bye this weekend, they were on the practice field on Tuesday. Head coach Jeff Fisher said this week is a time to self-evaluate and work on the little things that can make a significant difference.

“Coaches got together and, like I said, yesterday we looked at some things that we need to improve and we got a head start on it today,” Fisher said. “It was a modified practice, particularly because it’s Tuesday. But we’ll have two good sessions Wednesday and Thursday.”

Because the Rams don’t have to focus on an opponent this week, it allows the team to give some players rest, and others increased practice time. On Tuesday, Fisher confirmed St. Louis held out James Laurinaitis, Lance Kendricks, Robert Quinn, Michael Brockers, and Todd Gurley.

“What you try to accomplish here is to get young guys some valuable reps during the bye week that haven’t really gotten the reps,” Fisher said. “The backups need the reps. A lot of the starters need some rest here the first couple of days, so we take advantage of that. We even include the practice squad players with offense and defense, just to make sure that they’re ready at a moment’s notice.”

As for what the team reviews, Fisher said the coaches look for trends both offensively and defensively they can correct. It’s about the body of work over the course of the season more than it is one or two games.

“The trends are that we’re not making enough first downs on offense. Defense, we’re getting the turnovers,” Fisher said. “Offense, number-wise, we’re not giving up sacks, per se, but we’re giving up way too many hits on the quarterback. So those are things that we’re working on now.”

Fisher said that even on plays where good things happen -- such as running back Todd Gurley’s explosive runs -- there are elements within them to fix.

“You just keep working and refining. On any given play you can find a minor mistake,” Fisher said. “Those are the things we’re trying to correct. And even on plays where you make big plays -- there’s a big run, a Gurley run for 50 yards -- there’s a mistake there someplace you have to eliminate.”

While Gurley has racked up five runs of 20-plus yards over the past two weeks, the running back said his biggest focus is getting better at finishing them. While he called making explosive runs a good sign, Gurley said not ending them in the end zone can be frustrating.

“Those explosive runs, that’s still a good sign. But at the end of the day, you still want to finish those explosive runs,” Gurley said. “I still want to be able to break those tackles, even though it’s an NFL D-lineman.”

Gurley added he specifically felt that way about a couple runs in the first quarter against the Packers.

“Just trying to get a feel for the game, I feel like a lot of times I might miss a couple reads at the beginning of the game,” Gurley said. “But I’ll get it together once you get to the end.”

And so as the team goes through the process this week, making corrections and continuing to improve will be the focus.

“We’re not satisfied with the record by any means,” Fisher said. “I think we’ve shown improvement and I think that some of the things that we did at Lambeau were impressive. Weren’t impressive enough to win the game, but I think we’re showing improvement and that’s the most important thing.”

STIFF ARMS WITH GURLEY

A few times this season, Gurley has displayed his knack for employing a timely stiff arm. On Tuesday, he talked about what makes the technique successful.

“The stiff arm is natural,” Gurley said. “It’s just something we work on in practice, with coach. Extra stuff after practice.”

“I try to use it every now and then, bring it out,” he continued. “The key to the stiff arm is you can’t show it too early, because then the defender knows what you’re doing. … You’ve just got to strike it. You’ve got to strike it and keep it moving.”

MOMENT’S NOTICE

Offensive lineman Garrett Reynolds signed with the Rams in the offseason to provide veteran depth. He showed his skill with that as he entered the game on Sunday at right guard in relief of Rodger Saffold, who left with a shoulder injury.

“Garrett plugged right in,” Fisher said. “I was fine with the way he played. He was a settling factor and was cutting people downfield and finishing plays.”

“Heck, that's my job, just to be ready for times like that,” Reynolds said Tuesday. “That's what you prepare for.”

As of early Tuesday afternoon, Fisher said the team was still performing tests on Saffold and thus had no update. And so if Reynolds is called upon, he’ll be plenty prepared to play at right guard.

“That's my job to be ready no matter what happens,” Reynolds said, “step in and fill in wherever they tell me to go.”

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
As far as I'm concerned move forward with Reynolds. He did look very good in there, and as Fish noted as soon as he went in the line settled down and had some good plays.

The key is the backup, so here's hoping they have Wichmann in there. I still think he can help this offense even if he has to come in this season in a pinch. Knock on him was that he was good in a phone booth but I didn't see that; I think the scouts sometimes run with other guys' notes and that is what happened with him. He is better than his draft spot IMO.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
The stiff arm is a great weapon for Gurley because he's so big. He's 6'1" and some change and has longer arms than a lot of people that try to tackle him. Combine that with his strength and aggressiveness and you have a nasty stiff arm.

jap

Legend
I understand that Todd was arguing a bit with Reggie the trainer about taking off the brace before the game with the Pack, but Reggie insisted, "No!" I hope he progresses enough through the bye period to where he can remove the brace finally and get back to being his former self.

Even so, he is showing signs of frustration that he is not breaking tackles as easily as he did in college. I wonder if this will translate into a massive strength buildup program in his first pro off-season, and we see him come back as an even greater beast.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
I understand that Todd was arguing a bit with Reggie the trainer about taking off the brace before the game with the Pack, but Reggie insisted, "No!" I hope he progresses enough through the bye period to where he can remove the brace finally and get back to being his former self.

Even so, he is showing signs of frustration that he is not breaking tackles as easily as he did in college. I wonder if this will translate into a massive strength buildup program in his first pro off-season, and we see him come back as an even greater beast.
Yea but let's hope he doesn't get too outrageous with it and lose speed and get tight hips, like Sj39 did.

jap

Legend
Yea but let's hope he doesn't get too outrageous with it and lose speed and get tight hips, like Sj39 did.

I highly doubt that. More likely than not, he will work with the trainers to maximize strength & weight without losing speed or quickness so he can truly be all he can be.