Rams' post-draft position outlook: WR/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams' post-draft position outlook: WR
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/8788/rams-post-draft-position-outlook-wr

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- With the NFL draft and free agency complete, the St. Louis Rams' 53-man roster will likely come mostly from the players already on the team.

With organized team activities (OTAs) less than a week away, we take a look at where each position stands heading into next week. The next in the series continues today by examining the wide receivers.

Who returns: Chris Givens, Tavon Austin, Stedman Bailey, Brian Quick, Austin Pettis, Justin Veltung, Emory Blake

Who is new: Kenny Britt, T.J. Moe, Austin Franklin, Jamaine Sherman, Jordan Harris

Who is gone: None

Projected starters: Givens, Austin

Pending competition: There's a lot to sort out at this position. It seems likely Givens will get first crack at nailing down one of the jobs though nothing is guaranteed. After that, Austin is almost certain to play and play a lot though whether he's a "starter" might depend on if the Rams come out in three-wide sets to open the game. Either way, Austin will be on the field and in a role that has him moving all over. From there, it figures to be a battle. Bailey might have earned a shot at playing time with his late-season performance but his four-game suspension complicates matters. The team would probably like to see Quick win the job as he enters Year 3. He's a good blocker on the outside and provides a size element that Givens and Austin don't. But Quick will need to be much more consistent as a pass-catcher. The Rams brought Britt in to push for a job, also, and coach Jeff Fisher clearly believes Britt has the potential to contribute. It's been a while since he produced, though, so he'll also need to prove himself. Pettis still lurks and might have a shot at a reprieve with Bailey's coming absence. If the Rams keep six wideouts, most of the jobs are likely spoken for though they could carry one of the younger guys like Moe, Veltung, etc. for the first four weeks and re-evaluate when Bailey returns.

Outlook: After making Britt the only noteworthy addition at receiver, the Rams sent a clear message that they are willing to bet on the development of the young group they have in place. In fairness, this group hasn't had much of a sample size yet with players like Quick and Givens entering Year 3 and Austin and Bailey beginning Year 2. Still, the time is now for a couple of these guys to validate the team's faith. There's no clear-cut No. 1 wideout but the Rams can get away with that if a couple can be consistent enough to produce in the range of 800 yards. That was the formula Seattle followed to a Super Bowl last season and it can work if paired with a strong run game and defense. Still, until someone proves they can consistently get open outside the hashes from down to down, this is a position that will be closely monitored from the outside.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Hopefully Britt can come in and give us what Brandon Lloyd and Mark Clayton did. That, in combination with the young guys progressing, will make this unit more than good enough on a run-first offense.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
This offense reminds me of the Chiefs when they had Priest Holmes, then Larry Johnson. The offensive line was dominant, the Quarterback accurate, running backs effective, tight end a leading receiver, and receivers somewhat adequate (Ram fourth best Kennison was #1 for KC). BTW, they led the league in total offense a couple times. I don't expect that kind of production, just a similar makeup.

I quite like our receivers, they keep you from getting too excited about the team, barring a miracle we aren't a playoff team with this group.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Best case scenario is Britt gets cut. That would mean Givens and Quick stepped up as the projected starters and the Rams want special teams' contributions with the bottom end of their depth. That is my hope on how things break down.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
TJ Moe can make this team.

Austin, Britt, Quick, Givens, Pettis, Moe.

Bailey knocks one out upon return.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I rewatched some Niners-Rams highlights from week 4. Our lack of a running threat tipped our plays something aweful. Niners didn't even have to cheat up unless it was an obvious run formation. It's a death sentence to be one diminsional in this division. Down the road when we played the Niners, the running game was all we had. They cheated up a lot in that game and to great avail. Can't wait to see the outcome when showcase our balanced attack, pertaining, a power run AND a deep passing game. Harbough's getting fired this year, fellas.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Best case scenario is Britt gets cut. That would mean Givens and Quick stepped up as the projected starters and the Rams want special teams' contributions with the bottom end of their depth. That is my hope on how things break down.

That's the worst case scenario. Best case is britt plays like the stud he has shown he can be. Don't get the death riding of britt by many on this site.

Memphis Ram

Legend
No way Moe makes Team. Austin franklin has better chance. But i don't see neither making it. Moe is just camp body

I'd guess just the opposite. If Moe is healthy and looks like Amendola out there, I believe he makes this team, too.

lockdnram21

Legend
I'd guess just the opposite. If Moe is healthy and looks like Amendola out there, I believe he makes this team, too.

I strongly disagree. We dobnt need anymore slot receivers. I also would be surprised if they carried a extra receiver. I think someone gets cut when Bailey comes back. I think we will only keep 5. Between Britt and Pettis i expect 1 to be cut. We only kept 5 last year

Memphis Ram

Legend
I strongly disagree. We dobnt need anymore slot receivers. I also would be surprised if they carried a extra receiver. I think someone gets cut when Bailey comes back. I think we will only keep 5. Between Britt and Pettis i expect 1 to be cut. We only kept 5 last year

Yeah, but they kept 5 RBs last year. Doesn't mean they are going to keep 5 again this year. Besides, was there really 6th WR worth carrying last year? In the end, I'm not limiting Moe to being just a slot WR. I believe he can play outside and also be a wildcat QB option / special teamer.

lockdnram21

Legend
Yeah, but they kept 5 RBs last year. Doesn't mean they are going to keep 5 again this year. Besides, was there really 6th WR worth carrying last year? In the end, I'm not limiting Moe to being just a slot WR. I believe he can play outside and also be a wildcat QB option / special teamer.

I don't see it. And if we keep 6 it will be Britt or Pettis

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That's the worst case scenario. Best case is britt plays like the stud he has shown he can be. Don't get the death riding of britt by many on this site.

Britt is a one year rental. Even if he kills it the guy is not someone you want to pay big, I would not trust him and I doubt the Rams do either at that level.

Thus the best case scenario is for the guys we've been waiting for to actually turn into the players the Rams hoped they could be. If that were to happen to the point where the Rams don't need Britt even better. IMO.