Rams Post Dispatch Preview Articles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Sizing up the Rams' roster, position by position
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_6660139a-0d7c-548c-b795-4d32b7e7c355.html

Post-Dispatch football writer Jim Thomas analyzes the 2015 Rams roster, position by position:

QUARTERBACKS

If you got out the truth serum, there may not be many at Rams Park who’d say Nick Foles is as skilled a passer as predecessor Sam Bradford. But there’s ability, and there’s availability. The Rams have gone 25 consecutive games with a backup starting at QB. The hope is that anything close to a full 16 games from Foles will bring stability to the position and bring the team much closer to playoff contention. And Foles isn’t devoid of skill. Arm strength isn’t an issue. He’s pretty accurate, and it looks like he throws better on the run than Bradford. When it comes to toughness and leadership, the early read is that Foles could be on the high end. Coach Jeff Fisher has lots of confidence in backup Case Keenum, enough to make Austin Davis expendable. It’s a redshirt year for Sean Mannion, the third-round draft pick from Oregon State.

RUNNING BACKS

Tre Mason’s sore hamstring could leave this unit undermanned early in the season. Despite the steady progress of first-round draft pick Todd Gurley, he may not see the field until Week 3 or 4. So the versatile Benny Cunningham could see more playing time than expected in the early going. And Isaiah Pead — yes, Isaiah Pead — could see duty, too. He ran well in the preseason. It’s possible Trey Watts could take Pead’s spot once he returns from a four-game NFL suspension, but that’s a decision for another day. A day in early October. All things considered, we may not see Gurley taking anything resembling a full workload until midseason. There’s no doubt he has franchise-back skill with his blend of speed and power. The speedy Mason can be a factor as well, that is if the hamstring injury doesn’t become one of those lingering issues.

WIDE RECEIVERS

His long, grueling recovery from a severe shoulder injury and surgery complete, how quickly can Brian Quick make an impact on the field? Coupled with veteran Kenny Britt, he gives Nick Foles a pair of big targets who can get down field. Group them with Tavon Austin, and you have the preferred trio of starting wideouts, with Stedman Bailey and Chris Givens in reserve. Austin flashed his big-play ability at times during the preseason, and there’s a sense around Rams Park that he will indeed get the ball more often under new coordinator Frank Cignetti. Seeing will be believing. The speedy Givens was one of the few bright stories of the preseason. He has re-established his ability to stretch defenses, and it makes sense to have a few plays for him in the weekly game plan. Despite the lack of a true No. 1, this can be an above-average unit.

TIGHT ENDS, FULLBACKS

Unlike a year ago, the Rams open this season with only three tight ends on the roster, so it’s important they stay healthy. The overall dynamic of the unit remains the same. Jared Cook has the big-play potential and run-after-catch skill but needs to maintain consistency and focus. No one will confuse him for a road grader, but he’s not devoid of blocking ability. Lance Kendricks is an all-around tight end who can block, run down the seam and play either on-line or in the backfield. He doesn’t have an ideal catch radius, but has a high catch-to-target ratio. Cory Harkey again will spend more time in the backfield as a lead-blocker than on the line of scrimmage. Harkey is very strong, and although he has worked hard to improve his pass-catching, he’s first and foremost a blocker. He’s also developed into one of the team leaders.

OFFENSIVE LINE

Last year at this time, the starting five on the offensive line had a combined 366 games of NFL starting experience. This year? Try 76. The Rams are going with rookie starters in left guard Jamon Brown and right tackle Rob Havenstein. An unofficial study of depth charts throughout the NFL showed that only nine other rookie O-linemen are expected to start on opening day. Tampa Bay is the only other NFL team expected to start two rookies up front. So the Rams will sink or swim with youngsters blocking for Nick Foles, who better get the ball out quickly. Brown and Havenstein look like good prospects, but even the best rookie blockers have ups and downs. At left tackle Greg Robinson is well ahead of where he was a year ago, but still far from a finished product. And all together now, Rodger Saffold needs to stay healthy. He can be a force.

DEFENSIVE LINE

Once again this is the glamour unit of the roster. Robert Quinn and Aaron Donald are Pro Bowlers; Chris Long and Michael Brockers aren’t slouches. Backup ends William Hayes and Eugene Sims could start for some teams. If there’s a shred of uncertainty, it’s with the backup tackles. It’s a new spot for Ethan Westbrooks, and although powerful for his size, he’s undersized for the position. Newcomer Nick Fairley had a relatively quiet preseason and was slowed by a collarbone-related injury. After missing much of last season with a severe foot and ankle injury, Long missed early time in camp with a back issue. That could foreshadow a slow start early in the season. The hard-working Brockers is the D-line’s most improved player, according to position coach Mike Waufle. Donald was very impressive in camp and the preseason.

LINEBACKERS

The frontline talent should be good enough, more than good enough, actually. Trouble lurks if starters Alec Ogletree, James Laurinaitis or newcomer Akeem Ayers get injured. The depth behind them consists of rookies Bryce Hager and Cameron Lynch, and third-year man Daren Bates (primarily a special teams player). An injury would make the team look silly for cutting Jo-Lonn Dunbar. Ogletree led the team in tackles the past two years and flashes big-play potential. He wasn’t in the best shape when he reported to camp a year ago, and the result was a slow start. That isn’t an issue this time around. Laurinaitis remains a productive player, the quarterback of the defense responsible for making last-second adjustments that can get the Rams out of bad alignments and into good ones. Ayers should help the pass-rush and is said to be good in coverage.

SECONDARY

Once again, this looks like the most questionable unit on the defense, particularly at cornerback, where there isn’t much depth. The season-ending foot injury to E.J. Gaines has left only four cornerbacks on the roster. The Rams are counting on the 3Js — Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson and Lamarcus Joyner — for consistency and durability. Right now only second-year man Marcus Roberson is on the depth chart behind them. The situation is much more settled at safety, where the McSafeties — T.J. McDonald and Rodney McLeod — made progress a year ago and are shaping up as a reliable, effective tandem. McLeod showed improved range at free safety last year compared to 2013. McDonald is an enforcer who has improved in coverage. Another hard hitter, veteran Mark Barron, is a wild card who can be used in a linebacker-type role.

SPECIAL TEAMS

A year ago, the Rams had the NFC’s leading kickoff returner in Benny Cunningham and its second-leading punt returner in Tavon Austin in terms of yards per return. Interestingly, neither player had a single return at his specialty in preseason play. It’s possible that we could see Isaiah Pead or Chris Givens returning kickoffs vs. Seattle. But it would be a major surprise if Austin wasn’t back there fielding punts. Pro Bowl punter Johnny Hekker shanked a couple in the preseason, and kicker Greg Zuerlein missed a field goal, but there’s no reason to think the two won’t be on top of their games during the regular season. The coverage units should be good once again. Overall, this is a unit that ranked ninth (in 2014) and sixth (in 2013) in the highly respected Dallas Morning News special teams rankings. That shouldn’t change this season.

==============

Rams are betting on Foles
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_45293c02-0857-50c3-b97a-11e7eacf1575.html

Nick Foles has his hands full.

He’s playing for a new team, learning a new offense, with a first-year NFL offensive coordinator in Frank Cignetti.

For the better part of his three previous NFL seasons, Foles operated in the shotgun and in the no-huddle, so he’s getting a refresher course in calling plays in the huddle and taking snaps under center.

Wait. We’re just getting started.

He’s got two rookie starters up front, plus an inexperienced center on the league’s most inexperienced offensive line.

His star rookie running back, Todd Gurley, won’t be available on opening day and may miss a couple of more games before he’s ready to roll. One of his starting wide receivers, Brian Quick, is still working into game shape after a long rehab from a severe shoulder injury and surgery.

At age 26, Nicholas Edward Foles has learned the virtue of patience.

“It’s something that I haven’t always had, but you just have to learn patience, especially throughout this,” he said. “It’s not just gonna happen overnight. That’s not how these things work.

“You’ve gotta build it up through time. You’re gonna go through your ups, you’re gonna go through your downs. So it’s like I say, every day I just want to get a little bit better. It really is a process, and you just have to own the process, just accept it for what it is.”

For more than a decade, the overall “process” hasn’t been pretty for the St. Louis Rams. We’re speaking, of course, of the 11 consecutive seasons without a winning record, the decade-long drought of playoff appearances, that 15-65 won-loss mark from 2007-11 that set an NFL record for ineptitude over a five-year stretch.

So the sooner Foles and the Rams’ offense get through this process, the better. Because the fan base doesn’t have much patience, not with the team’s long streak of losing seasons and the specter of a franchise relocation to Los Angeles after this season.

“We all know that this position is very hard to play, especially in a new offense,” said Rams quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke.

(Did we mention Foles also has a first-year NFL quarterbacks coach in Weinke, the former Heisman Trophy winner and pro QB?)

“But collectively, if you look at his body of work, he’s made great strides in our offense,” Weinke said. “To me, more important is how do you carry yourself? Do you have great leadership skills? Do you build relationships with guys in that locker room? Are you well-respected? Do you go about your business the right way?

“And he checks all the boxes in those areas. We’ve only been with him for a short period of time, so there are still some unknowns. Limited playing time in the preseason. Still learning, really, all the intricacies of our offense.

“But he’s very smart. He can pick up the information. He can process information. There’s something about him that just tells me — not only just watching him in the past and evaluating his film — that the guy elevates his game when the lights are on.

“So that will be exciting to see. And I’ll be the first to say he still has a long way to go, and he will admit that as well.”

Even so, the Rams thought enough of Foles that before he’d even thrown a single preseason pass, they signed him to a contract extension through the 2017 season — one that will pay him $26 million over the 2015, ’16, and ’17 seasons and can max out at $39.5 million if a variety of incentives are met.

Although grateful for the Rams’ show of faith, Foles adds, “I know how the NFL works, too. You’ve gotta sign contracts all the time, and then they go one year, and then they’re gone.”

Granted, $13.8 million of Foles’ contract is guaranteed, but he knows in the NFL you’ve got to produce or you’re gone.

“I’m very fortunate and very thankful to sign a contract with them,” he said. “I’ve gotta be the best I can be every single day. The important thing is never to be complacent and be happy where you’re at. You always want to improve.”

Foles knows the value of hard work. He saw it every day from his father, Larry, and mother, Melissa, growing up in Austin, Texas.

“Both my parents growing up, and both not having the greatest childhoods, and really what they went through in life to provide for me and my two younger sisters,” Foles said.

“Dad coming home late at night from working all day, kissing us on the head and smelling like he’d been in the kitchen all day. Stuff like that. Those are memories that you just always remember.”

Larry Foles is a classic American success story. He started out on the bottom rung of the restaurant business. His first big break was assistant manager at a Shoney’s. One thing led to another, and in 2011 he and partner Guy Villavaso sold a group of restaurants for $59 million.

The Foles family is still involved in the restaurant business. In fact, count Rams backup QB Case Keenum as a satisfied customer.

“The Salty Sow in Austin,” Keenum said. “It’s incredible, it really is. Farm to table. It’s an awesome place.”

Because of all that hard work by his father and mother, Foles could concentrate on sports. Instead of getting an after-school job, he could train, lift weights, etc.

“I always took that to the practice field, always took that to the weight room, knowing that they gave me that opportunity to spend that time doing that,” Foles said.

In high school, the result was a star quarterback in football and two-time school MVP in basketball at Westlake High in Austin. That’s the same high school that Drew Brees attended, but by the time Foles was finished there he had thrown for 5,668 yards and 56 touchdowns and had broken many of Brees’ school records.

Even so, you could make the case that basketball was Foles’ best sport. He was recruited by Texas, Georgetown and Baylor in hoops and had Division I offers.

“I grew up loving basketball,” said Foles, who is 6-6. “And I still love basketball.”

He could dunk as an eighth-grader, and at one time could do the 360 jam. Had he been a couple, three inches taller — who knows? — he may have gone in that direction. But he also had a love for football.

“I prayed about it, and football was the way I was supposed to go,” Foles said. “I knew I could go further in football.”

He loved the leadership aspect of playing quarterback, but also the team aspect of depending on others to help get the job done.

After initially committing to Arizona State, he opted instead for Michigan State. During his redshirt freshman season, 2007, the Spartans’ quarterback meeting room consisted of Foles, Brian Hoyer and Kirk Cousins. That’s a pretty good room — all are now NFL starters.

And after Oklahoma transfer Keith Nichol joined the squad in 2008, Foles did some more praying. He decided to transfer to Arizona, leaving Michigan State with five completions in eight attempts for 57 yards during that redshirt year.

The rest of the story is more familiar. He brought a struggling Arizona program to respectability, then was drafted in the third round in 2012 by Andy Reid in Philadelphia. After three seasons there, including his incredible 2013 Pro Bowl campaign in which he threw 27 TD passes and only two interceptions in the regular season, Foles is now a Ram as a result of the Sam Bradford trade.

So what do the Rams have in Foles?

“You are asking one of Nick Foles’ biggest fans,” Reid, now with Kansas City, said after the Governor’s Cup game with the Rams at the Edward Jones Dome “He is smart, he has good accuracy, and he is a big body. A big, strong guy, and he is young. He is going nowhere but up here.”

And from Chiefs wide receiver Jeremy Maclin, the former Kirkwood High and University of Missouri star, and Foles’ teammate for three seasons in Philly:

“I’ve kind of heard the Rams guys saying, ‘In 5 we trust,’ and all that other stuff,” Maclin said. “So that just goes to show you the type of respect people give him based off the type of person he is and the type of player he is.”

Foles, of course, wears jersey No. 5 for the Rams.

In 5 we trust.

The Rams don’t really have a choice. The contract extension provided an exclamation point to the fact that they are all-in on Foles, for better or worse.

“What I have noticed from OTAs and training camp is this guy very rarely if ever makes the same mistake twice,” Weinke said. “So from the coaches’ point of view, it’s very encouraging. We are nowhere close to where we need to be. But I think that the process will come to fruition as we continue to go through this journey.”

===============

Rams trying to combat slow starts
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_4fbda182-8881-5f42-b7fc-e89ce144ec04.html

Slow starts have doomed the Rams in each of their three previous seasons under Jeff Fisher. Will season No. 4 be any different?

In 2013 and 2014, the team started 1-3. Things went a little differently in 2012, Fisher’s inaugural season here, when back-to-back home victories over Seattle and Arizona gave the squad a 3-2 record in early October.

But the Rams then proceeded to go winless in their next five games — one of them an overtime tie in San Francisco — and suddenly found themselves sitting at 3-6-1 by mid-November.

In all three seasons of Fisher Ball in St. Louis, the Rams have been 3-5 at the midway point of the season. In the ultra-competitive NFC West, that has meant the Rams were basically out of playoff contention by the first frost.

Suffice to say, getting out of the gates quicker has been a topic of conversation for much of the offseason and preseason, at least among the players who have been around for a while.

“We’ve got to figure out how to start fast,” linebacker James Laurinaitis said. “We’re always trying to claw back into things. You can’t do the first quarter of the season 1-3.

“You’re fighting, fighting, fighting and you’re really telling yourself, ‘Well, we’ve got three more quarters left of the season. We can lose three games maybe, four if you’re lucky and still get in.’ ”

Which means going 9-3 or 8-4 over the final three-quarters of the season, which is asking a lot.

So how do the Rams get off to a better start in 2015?

“You win more early. Right?” Fisher said. “We didn’t start off that way on purpose. You go out there and try to win every game. Once again, we’ve got a young team and we’ve got a new offense, a new quarterback. We just have to go out and play smart and not beat ourselves and just see what happens.”

At face value, the opening schedule for the Rams isn’t conducive to early success. Three of the first five games are on the road. And four of the five are against teams that made the playoffs last year — and are expected to be playoff, if not Super Bowl, contenders this season.

Opening-day opponent Seattle has been to back-to-back Super Bowls and is coming off a 14-win season. Week 3 opponent Pittsburgh is the defending AFC North champion. Week 5 opponent Green Bay lost the NFC title game in overtime to Seattle last season. And Week 4 foe Arizona claimed a wild-card berth after an 11-5 regular season.

So the only non-playoff team from 2014 that the Rams will see until late October is Washington in Week 2, a squad that finished 4-12 a year ago.

With all the moving parts on offense — new coordinator, new quarterback, young offensive line — defense and special teams may have to carry the load early.

“Obviously there’s more continuity on that side of the ball, the defensive side of the ball,” general manager Les Snead said at the outset of training camp. “So early on you would love for them to be the bell cow as we gel on offense.

“The offense may all of a sudden — bam! At Tennessee second preseason week they’re on all cylinders and you’re like, ‘OK, we’re ahead of the game.’ “

Obviously, no gelling of any sort took place Aug. 23 in Nashville, although the starting offense did show signs of improvement against Indianapolis and Kansas City.

Nonetheless, Snead’s basic point remains valid.

“When you’re looking at it, just on paper, a blueprint that would be the ideal scenario is the defense kind of pulls some weight as our offense gels and then once they gel, let’s roll,” he said.

The defense certainly has the capability of carrying the burden while the offense gets its legs under it, but the slow-starting trend has been present on that side of the ball as well.

“It seems like we start really slow against the run game,” Laurinaitis said. “You look at the end of the year and you’re like, ‘Hey, we weren’t too bad against the run.’

“But why do we start so slow? So I’ve been harping on that a whole lot.”

The Rams gave up 185 yards on the ground, and 6.0 yards per carry, in last season’s opener against Minnesota. More than one-third of that yardage came on a 67-yard end-around play by Cordarrelle Patterson for a touchdown late in the third quarter.

The following week at Tampa Bay, the Rams allowed 157 yards rushing and 5.2 yards a carry. Things got only marginally better in Game 3 against Dallas (123 yards, 4.2 yards per carry) and Game 3 against Philadelphia (145 yards, 4.4 yards per carry).

The Rams will see their share of strong runners out of the box this season, starting with Seattle’s Marshawn Lynch on Sunday.

When Steelers running back Le’Veon Bell had his suspension for violating the NFL substance abuse policy reduced from three to two games in late July, it meant he would make his season debut Sept. 27 against the Rams.

The Rams get Eddie Lacy, who has rushed for more than 1,100 yards in each of his first two NFL seasons, on Oct. 11 in Green Bay.

Although it may be an optimistic viewpoint given what transpired in the preseason, you get the feeling a seasoned defense will be ready Sunday when the real football begins.

But what of the offense? An offense facing a Seattle defense that ranked first overall in total defense and first in points allowed last season?

New Rams quarterback Nick Foles will be operating behind the league’s most inexperienced offensive line, with rookies Jamon Brown (left guard) and Rob Havenstein (right tackle) in the starting lineup.

Rest assured, the Seahawks will do everything in their power to confuse that unit via stunts, loops, blitzes, or changing alignments. So will every other defense on the Rams’ schedule until the young O-line shows it can handle it.

Progress was painfully slow on offense for much of the preseason, although the passing game at least showed some signs of life in the final two exhibition games.

“You always want to start off with a quick start in the sense you’re playing clean, good football at the beginning of the season,” Foles said. “That’s the big thing. I want to play clean, good football. We will be aggressive at times, but we’ve gotta play Ram football.”

That may be asking a lot, particularly early in the season.

============

Is this the year for Rams defense?
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_bff42e9d-8c3b-52cf-bd3b-6eb4b010442e.html

A year ago at this time, the Rams’ defensive front had a slick nickname, considerable national hype and every reason to believe quarterbacks throughout the league were quivering at their mere approach.

Well, you saw what happened to #SackCity. It became #SadSackCity for the first third of the 2014 season. Defensive mainstay Chris Long was lost for most of the season with a foot injury in the opener. On the heels of a 19-sack season, Robert Quinn got a ton of attention from opposing blockers.

Five games into the season, the Rams had one measly sack, not to mention a 1-4 record. And no one was calling them #SackCity. Granted, pass-rushing can be a streaky thing, and teams were getting the ball out quick. But no one, absolutely no one, expected this.

“As far as the nickname’s concerned, that’s something we never really — I mean maybe we re-tweeted something or favored it on Twitter,” Long said. “But it wasn’t something that came from us. We don’t want a nickname, we just want to go out and earn it, and earn our reputation.”

If the start of 2014 did anything, it reinforced the notion that nothing should be taken for granted in the NFL.

“And just because we look good on paper doesn’t mean if we don’t execute that it’s gonna work out,” Long said. “So we need to stay on the grindstone and keep working.”

That’s the approach the unit took after the rough start in 2014, and the final results were impressive. Over the final eight games of the season, the Rams were fifth in scoring defense, fourth in rushing defense, tied for fourth in sacks and tied for sixth in takeaways.

“We know who we are no matter what,” Long said. “Even in those low points last year where people were (wondering) what the hell is going on with us, we know who we are and nobody hits the panic button.”

So now, as the Rams embark on the 2015 season, there are no nicknames. But if anything, expectations are higher — and this time not just for the front four, but for the entire defense. Here’s why:

• Continuity. Ten of 11 starters are back, which is unheard of in this age of free agency and the salary cap. The only newcomer, free-agent pickup Akeem Ayers, replaces the departed Jo-Lonn Dunbar at outside linebacker.

• Depth. Not only are all the starters back, but most of the Rams’ two-deep from a year ago returns on defense. Of the 23 defensive players on the 2015 roster, 19 were with the squad last year.

• Pedigree. With the addition of another free-agent pickup, Nick Fairley, the Rams have five former first-round picks on their D-line. Ten of their 11 defensive starters were drafted in the first, second,or third round.

• Leadership. For the first time since Jeff Fisher’s arrival in 2012, the Rams are entering a season with the same defensive coordinator (Gregg Williams).

• Experience. Although the Rams remain one of the league’s younger teams, they have some seasoning on defense. With the exception of 2014 NFL defensive rookie of the year Aaron Donald, every member of the team’s top 11 has at least two seasons of NFL starting experience.

“They’ve set this thing up well with the way they’ve gone about it,” said linebacker James Laurinaitis. “It’s about that time for us. It’s not a young team anymore. It might be young still by age, but there’s a lot of experience out there. A lot of guys that have played a lot of minutes.

“So the expectations are going to be extremely high. And we have a lot of guys holding each other accountable more.”

Laurinaitis, the quarterback of the defense from his middle linebacker position, enters the year with 901 tackles, just 14 shy of Hall of Famer Merlin Olsen’s franchise record of 915. He’s been around long enough to realize the unique nature of returning basically an entire defense intact.

“It’s very rare. And it’s exciting,” Laurinaitis said.

And a defense littered with high draft picks and stocked with better depth.

“When you have five first-round D-linemen, it makes your short-yardage package a lot better. And your goal-line a lot better,” Laurinaitis said. “How do you utilize all five guys? What’s the rotation? ... How do you utilize certain guys for certain talents?”

If there’s a way, Williams will do it. The mad scientist of the St. Louis defense has a package for just about every scenario known to man. He has a knack for finding what players can do well, and then finding ways to let them excel in those roles.

“We don’t have to learn a whole new playbook again,” said defensive end Robert Quinn, a two-time Pro Bowler. “Same defense. Same calls. So now we can play faster. Now we can relate faster.

“It makes it more comfortable for us to be out there on the field and not trying to second-guess ourselves. ‘Should we do this? Should we do that? What have we got?’ Having stability in coordinators and players and all that has allowed us to stay comfortable and go out there and succeed.”

So despite what you may have seen or not seen in the preseason, there are plenty of reasons to think this is the year for the defense.

There’s Donald, who led all NFL rookies in sacks a year ago and may have had the best camp of any Ram. ... Consider also that Quinn (12) and linebacker Alec Olgletree (10) rank 1-2 in the league in forced fumbles since the start of the 2013 season. ... Cornerback Janoris Jenkins has the most defensive touchdowns in the NFL (six) since the start of the 2012 season.

Put it all together and this could finally be the year the Rams take their place as one of the NFL’s elite defenses. They have been building toward this for several seasons, fortifying their ranks with the extra draft picks acquired in the so-called RGIII trade with Washington, and sprinkling in free-agent additions here and there.

There are question marks in the secondary, particularly at cornerback, where the team’s one major preseason injury was a season-ender for E.J. Gaines (foot). The back end needs to minimize the number of busted coverages and big plays allowed.

Even so, anything less than a top 10 finish on defense will be disappointing. Simple as that. No more excuses, ifs, ands, buts.

“Oh, no doubt about it,” said veteran defensive end William Hayes. “I’ll be disappointed if we’re not a top-five defense. And I’m not saying that just because I play on this team.”

Hayes paused for an instant, and then reaffirmed his point to a reporter.

“I’ve never shot you wrong,” Hayes said. “I’ve always shot you straight. This team is gonna be special. And I’m not saying that just to say it. I played on some really good football teams in Nashville (with the Tennessee Titans). And if you put this roster up against any roster I played on, it’s not even close. That’s my personal opinion.”

Can this defense be special?

“With the youth and the depth and the talent level, we have a chance,” coach Jeff Fisher said. “When you talk about Rodney (McLeod) playing at his level and T.J. (McDonald) and Mark (Barron), just the options we have within our packages.

“I think Brock’s (Michael Brockers) gonna have his best year. And Aaron’s gonna be better than he was last year, and you add Nick to the mix inside, it’s gonna be pretty impressive.”

Can this defense be dominant?

“You expect that,” general manager Les Snead said. “They did a heck of a job last year when they tipped and turned and got to gel, and it was fun to watch (over the second half of the season). The goal is to carry that over into this year, and sooner rather than later.”

Can this defense be elite?

“We always think that,” Williams said. “You know, I’ve had some really good defenses in the past. I’ve had some really good ones across the leagues on other teams. We have the makings of it. But again, we have to stay healthy. And you know, some of the offenses, hopefully they’ll cooperate, too, and not play as well.”

Some “cooperation” would come in handy early in the season from the likes of Russell Wilson, Marshawn Lynch, Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers, and Carson Palmer. Last season, the Rams’ defense had a fancy nickname and nowhere to go. This year, it wants to make a name for itself.

===============

Gurley was too good to pass up
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_e135671c-6206-52f4-bdee-e14b1ba73a1f.html

At some point, probably in the next few weeks, the Todd Gurley era with the Rams will begin. He’ll take the ball from quarterback Nick Foles, hit the hole and get tackled for the first time since last November.

And coach Jeff Fisher’s long-range plan for the Rams’ new-look offense will begin.

“It’s been a long time coming,’’ Fisher said shortly after the Rams selected Gurley, who underwent ACL surgery on his left knee in November, with the 10th pick in the draft. “His body of work speaks for itself. Clearly, he was set back because of the injury, but the athletic ability, the strength, the explosion, the acceleration, the instincts that he has as a runner. And he’s also got great hands out of the backfield. He’s a complete back.’’

The type of do-it-all back that Fisher has sought since arriving in St. Louis. In his best days with the Tennessee Titans, Fisher relied on defense and the power running of Eddie George. This year’s Rams will lean heavily on the defense to set a tone, but now, thanks to a draft that yielded Gurley as well as four big and powerful blockers, their veteran coach is finally able to start building the ball- and clock-controlling offense he desires.

In a league where the running back position seems to have been devalued — in the drafts from 2011 through 2014, Trent Richardson, who went third to Cleveland in 2012, was the only back selected in the top 25 — the Rams went against the grain to select the player they coveted.

“This, for us, was one of those once-every-few-years talents, one of the best players we’ve seen come out in a while,’’ Rams general manager Les Snead said. “We just felt he was somebody we couldn’t pass up. This wasn’t about Week 1 against Seattle, whether he’d be ready to go then; we will let nature take its course on that. This was a long-term decision.’’

Gurley, who celebrated his 21st birthday days before the start of training camp, has been diligent in his rehab work and was recently cleared of any restrictions on the practice field. Now, it’s just a matter of time.

“We’re just going to build his reps on the practice field and we’ll see,’’ Fisher said. “He’ll get lots of reps.’’

BULLDOG DAYS

Mike Bobo will never forget Gurley’s ever-present smile.

“When Todd got to campus he was 17, just a kid,’’ said Bobo, the first-year head coach at Colorado State and Georgia’s offensive coordinator during Gurley’s time there. “He just always seemed to be having fun. And not just with the running backs or the offensive guys, he got along with everybody.’’

Mark Richt, Georgia’s head coach, agreed: “I just love the kid. Obviously, he was highly productive here, but on top of that there’s a charisma, a personality, that most guys don’t have. Just a great teammate and team leader.’’

On the field, Gurley made an immediate impact with the Bulldogs, starting 12 of 14 games and joining Georgia legend Hershel Walker as the only true freshmen in school history to rush for 1,000 yards. That fall, Gurley ran for 1,385 yards, averaging 6.2 per carry, and scored 18 touchdowns.

“Not every play is going to be blocked perfectly. If the hole’s there, Todd will take it to the house,’’ Bobo said. “But if not, he’s big enough and strong enough to impose his will, to push the pile and pick up the tough yards after contact.’’

Gurley missed three games in 2012 with an ankle injury but still managed to rush for 989 yards and score 15 times. That season, he also caught 37 passes.

As a junior last fall, Gurley was off to another monster season, rushing for 911 yards and 10 touchdowns while averaging 7.4 yards per carry when the NCAA suspended him for four games for accepting money for autographed memorabilia. Then, in his first game back, he went down with the knee injury.

“It’s unfortunate that it ended the way it did, but Todd did nothing but practice hard and play hard here,’’ said Richt, who’s been fortunate enough to replace Gurley with another Heisman-level back in Nick Chubb. “We’ve been blessed here at Georgia, and I coached some good ones at Florida State, too. But Todd’s different than anybody I’ve seen. Any way you want to rate a back — speed, vision, balance, agility, pass protection — you’re going to rate him extremely high.’’

Like a lot of others, Bobo used the term “special’’ when discussing Gurley.

“He’s still young, just turned 21 I think, but he grew up a lot while he was here,’’ Bobo said. “Learned how to practice, how to take care of himself off the field. He’s kind of tall for a back (at 6 feet 1, 227 pounds), but his lower body is just massive.

“With his combination of speed and power, I think he can be a franchise-changer,’’

Gurley finished his Georgia career with 222 carries for 3,285 yards, an average of 6.4 per rush, and also caught 65 passes for 615 yards. On 11 career kick returns, he averaged 38.4 yards and had a pair of 100-yarders. He rushed for 100-plus yards in 18 games and had a 208-yard game against Tennessee last fall. His 44 career touchdowns are second in school history behind Walker’s 52.

AN EARLY CHRISTMAS?

In his fourth season as running backs coach with the Rams, Ben Sirmans feels a little like a kid awaiting Christmas.

“You know that present under the tree is yours and you know it’s going to be something great,’’ the coach said, smiling. “But you gotta wait.

“I think anybody who’s ever seen Todd, on tape or in person, understands why we drafted him when we did. You just don’t see guys at his size with that kind of speed, elusiveness and explosion. But you can’t rush it. An injury like that, it takes time not only physically but mentally, making sure he has the confidence to make all those stressful cuts. So you work him back slowly.’’

In the meantime, Sirmans feels the Rams have more than enough in the backfield to be successful.

“We’re in good shape, the best we’ve been since I got here,’’ the coach said. “It’s a competitive group, with a lot of guys we can rely on. It’s a great situation for a coach because I have a bunch of guys who like to push each other every day but who also help and encourage one another.’’

Running backs on the 53-man roster are Tre Mason, Benny Cunningham, Isaiah Pead and Chase Reynolds.

Mason, a second-year pro from Auburn, came on to lead the Rams with 765 rushing yards a year ago, averaging 4.3 yards a carry. He also tied for the team lead with five touchdowns.

“I’m gonna do me, continue working to be the best I can be,’’ Mason said when asked about Gurley early in training camp. “You’ve got to accept each other as family.’’

Cunningham, a third-year pro, led the NFC in kickoff returns a year ago, averaging 27.5 yards. He also ran for 246 yard and three scores while finishing third on the squad with 45 catches for 352 yards and another score.

“The focus in the room is to make yourself better so that you can help improve the team,’’ Cunningham said.

Pead, like Gurley, is coming off ACL surgery. He was hurt while making a jump-cut on a kickoff return in the preseason and missed the 2014 campaign. Healthy again, the second-round draft pick from 2012 is hoping to finally reach the potential he showed as the Big East offensive player of the year as a senior at the University of Cincinnati.

Reynolds, who enjoyed a record-setting career at Montana, has become a special-teams standout over the last couple of seasons. He’s never had a regular-season carry in the NFL but finished among the league leaders with 19 special-teams tackles a year ago.

In addition, second-year pro Trey Watts, a versatile back who has excelled on special teams, is serving a four-game suspension for violating the league’s policy on substance abuse.

“Each of these guys have skills that can help this football team, and it’s our job as a coaching staff to try to make the most of those skills,’’ Sirmans said. “Rather than worrying about playing time, it’s important to focus on getting better because that’s what will help the team overall. Go about your business and when you get the chance, make sure you take advantage and produce because the guys who do what they’re asked to do and produce, they’re the ones who’ll see the most time on the field during games.’’

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sizing up the Rams' roster, position by position
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_6660139a-0d7c-548c-b795-4d32b7e7c355.html

Post-Dispatch football writer Jim Thomas analyzes the 2015 Rams roster, position by position:

QUARTERBACKS

If you got out the truth serum, there may not be many at Rams Park who’d say Nick Foles is as skilled a passer as predecessor Sam Bradford. But there’s ability, and there’s availability. The Rams have gone 25 consecutive games with a backup starting at QB. The hope is that anything close to a full 16 games from Foles will bring stability to the position and bring the team much closer to playoff contention. And Foles isn’t devoid of skill. Arm strength isn’t an issue. He’s pretty accurate, and it looks like he throws better on the run than Bradford. When it comes to toughness and leadership, the early read is that Foles could be on the high end. Coach Jeff Fisher has lots of confidence in backup Case Keenum, enough to make Austin Davis expendable. It’s a redshirt year for Sean Mannion, the third-round draft pick from Oregon State.

RUNNING BACKS

Tre Mason’s sore hamstring could leave this unit undermanned early in the season. Despite the steady progress of first-round draft pick Todd Gurley, he may not see the field until Week 3 or 4. So the versatile Benny Cunningham could see more playing time than expected in the early going. And Isaiah Pead — yes, Isaiah Pead — could see duty, too. He ran well in the preseason. It’s possible Trey Watts could take Pead’s spot once he returns from a four-game NFL suspension, but that’s a decision for another day. A day in early October. All things considered, we may not see Gurley taking anything resembling a full workload until midseason. There’s no doubt he has franchise-back skill with his blend of speed and power. The speedy Mason can be a factor as well, that is if the hamstring injury doesn’t become one of those lingering issues.

WIDE RECEIVERS

His long, grueling recovery from a severe shoulder injury and surgery complete, how quickly can Brian Quick make an impact on the field? Coupled with veteran Kenny Britt, he gives Nick Foles a pair of big targets who can get down field. Group them with Tavon Austin, and you have the preferred trio of starting wideouts, with Stedman Bailey and Chris Givens in reserve. Austin flashed his big-play ability at times during the preseason, and there’s a sense around Rams Park that he will indeed get the ball more often under new coordinator Frank Cignetti. Seeing will be believing. The speedy Givens was one of the few bright stories of the preseason. He has re-established his ability to stretch defenses, and it makes sense to have a few plays for him in the weekly game plan. Despite the lack of a true No. 1, this can be an above-average unit.

TIGHT ENDS, FULLBACKS

Unlike a year ago, the Rams open this season with only three tight ends on the roster, so it’s important they stay healthy. The overall dynamic of the unit remains the same. Jared Cook has the big-play potential and run-after-catch skill but needs to maintain consistency and focus. No one will confuse him for a road grader, but he’s not devoid of blocking ability. Lance Kendricks is an all-around tight end who can block, run down the seam and play either on-line or in the backfield. He doesn’t have an ideal catch radius, but has a high catch-to-target ratio. Cory Harkey again will spend more time in the backfield as a lead-blocker than on the line of scrimmage. Harkey is very strong, and although he has worked hard to improve his pass-catching, he’s first and foremost a blocker. He’s also developed into one of the team leaders.

OFFENSIVE LINE

Last year at this time, the starting five on the offensive line had a combined 366 games of NFL starting experience. This year? Try 76. The Rams are going with rookie starters in left guard Jamon Brown and right tackle Rob Havenstein. An unofficial study of depth charts throughout the NFL showed that only nine other rookie O-linemen are expected to start on opening day. Tampa Bay is the only other NFL team expected to start two rookies up front. So the Rams will sink or swim with youngsters blocking for Nick Foles, who better get the ball out quickly. Brown and Havenstein look like good prospects, but even the best rookie blockers have ups and downs. At left tackle Greg Robinson is well ahead of where he was a year ago, but still far from a finished product. And all together now, Rodger Saffold needs to stay healthy. He can be a force.

DEFENSIVE LINE

Once again this is the glamour unit of the roster. Robert Quinn and Aaron Donald are Pro Bowlers; Chris Long and Michael Brockers aren’t slouches. Backup ends William Hayes and Eugene Sims could start for some teams. If there’s a shred of uncertainty, it’s with the backup tackles. It’s a new spot for Ethan Westbrooks, and although powerful for his size, he’s undersized for the position. Newcomer Nick Fairley had a relatively quiet preseason and was slowed by a collarbone-related injury. After missing much of last season with a severe foot and ankle injury, Long missed early time in camp with a back issue. That could foreshadow a slow start early in the season. The hard-working Brockers is the D-line’s most improved player, according to position coach Mike Waufle. Donald was very impressive in camp and the preseason.

LINEBACKERS

The frontline talent should be good enough, more than good enough, actually. Trouble lurks if starters Alec Ogletree, James Laurinaitis or newcomer Akeem Ayers get injured. The depth behind them consists of rookies Bryce Hager and Cameron Lynch, and third-year man Daren Bates (primarily a special teams player). An injury would make the team look silly for cutting Jo-Lonn Dunbar. Ogletree led the team in tackles the past two years and flashes big-play potential. He wasn’t in the best shape when he reported to camp a year ago, and the result was a slow start. That isn’t an issue this time around. Laurinaitis remains a productive player, the quarterback of the defense responsible for making last-second adjustments that can get the Rams out of bad alignments and into good ones. Ayers should help the pass-rush and is said to be good in coverage.

SECONDARY

Once again, this looks like the most questionable unit on the defense, particularly at cornerback, where there isn’t much depth. The season-ending foot injury to E.J. Gaines has left only four cornerbacks on the roster. The Rams are counting on the 3Js — Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson and Lamarcus Joyner — for consistency and durability. Right now only second-year man Marcus Roberson is on the depth chart behind them. The situation is much more settled at safety, where the McSafeties — T.J. McDonald and Rodney McLeod — made progress a year ago and are shaping up as a reliable, effective tandem. McLeod showed improved range at free safety last year compared to 2013. McDonald is an enforcer who has improved in coverage. Another hard hitter, veteran Mark Barron, is a wild card who can be used in a linebacker-type role.

SPECIAL TEAMS

A year ago, the Rams had the NFC’s leading kickoff returner in Benny Cunningham and its second-leading punt returner in Tavon Austin in terms of yards per return. Interestingly, neither player had a single return at his specialty in preseason play. It’s possible that we could see Isaiah Pead or Chris Givens returning kickoffs vs. Seattle. But it would be a major surprise if Austin wasn’t back there fielding punts. Pro Bowl punter Johnny Hekker shanked a couple in the preseason, and kicker Greg Zuerlein missed a field goal, but there’s no reason to think the two won’t be on top of their games during the regular season. The coverage units should be good once again. Overall, this is a unit that ranked ninth (in 2014) and sixth (in 2013) in the highly respected Dallas Morning News special teams rankings. That shouldn’t change this season.

==============

Rams are betting on Foles
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_45293c02-0857-50c3-b97a-11e7eacf1575.html

Nick Foles has his hands full.

He’s playing for a new team, learning a new offense, with a first-year NFL offensive coordinator in Frank Cignetti.

For the better part of his three previous NFL seasons, Foles operated in the shotgun and in the no-huddle, so he’s getting a refresher course in calling plays in the huddle and taking snaps under center.

Wait. We’re just getting started.

He’s got two rookie starters up front, plus an inexperienced center on the league’s most inexperienced offensive line.

His star rookie running back, Todd Gurley, won’t be available on opening day and may miss a couple of more games before he’s ready to roll. One of his starting wide receivers, Brian Quick, is still working into game shape after a long rehab from a severe shoulder injury and surgery.

At age 26, Nicholas Edward Foles has learned the virtue of patience.

“It’s something that I haven’t always had, but you just have to learn patience, especially throughout this,” he said. “It’s not just gonna happen overnight. That’s not how these things work.

“You’ve gotta build it up through time. You’re gonna go through your ups, you’re gonna go through your downs. So it’s like I say, every day I just want to get a little bit better. It really is a process, and you just have to own the process, just accept it for what it is.”

For more than a decade, the overall “process” hasn’t been pretty for the St. Louis Rams. We’re speaking, of course, of the 11 consecutive seasons without a winning record, the decade-long drought of playoff appearances, that 15-65 won-loss mark from 2007-11 that set an NFL record for ineptitude over a five-year stretch.

So the sooner Foles and the Rams’ offense get through this process, the better. Because the fan base doesn’t have much patience, not with the team’s long streak of losing seasons and the specter of a franchise relocation to Los Angeles after this season.

“We all know that this position is very hard to play, especially in a new offense,” said Rams quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke.

(Did we mention Foles also has a first-year NFL quarterbacks coach in Weinke, the former Heisman Trophy winner and pro QB?)

“But collectively, if you look at his body of work, he’s made great strides in our offense,” Weinke said. “To me, more important is how do you carry yourself? Do you have great leadership skills? Do you build relationships with guys in that locker room? Are you well-respected? Do you go about your business the right way?

“And he checks all the boxes in those areas. We’ve only been with him for a short period of time, so there are still some unknowns. Limited playing time in the preseason. Still learning, really, all the intricacies of our offense.

“But he’s very smart. He can pick up the information. He can process information. There’s something about him that just tells me — not only just watching him in the past and evaluating his film — that the guy elevates his game when the lights are on.

“So that will be exciting to see. And I’ll be the first to say he still has a long way to go, and he will admit that as well.”

Even so, the Rams thought enough of Foles that before he’d even thrown a single preseason pass, they signed him to a contract extension through the 2017 season — one that will pay him $26 million over the 2015, ’16, and ’17 seasons and can max out at $39.5 million if a variety of incentives are met.

Although grateful for the Rams’ show of faith, Foles adds, “I know how the NFL works, too. You’ve gotta sign contracts all the time, and then they go one year, and then they’re gone.”

Granted, $13.8 million of Foles’ contract is guaranteed, but he knows in the NFL you’ve got to produce or you’re gone.

“I’m very fortunate and very thankful to sign a contract with them,” he said. “I’ve gotta be the best I can be every single day. The important thing is never to be complacent and be happy where you’re at. You always want to improve.”

Foles knows the value of hard work. He saw it every day from his father, Larry, and mother, Melissa, growing up in Austin, Texas.

“Both my parents growing up, and both not having the greatest childhoods, and really what they went through in life to provide for me and my two younger sisters,” Foles said.

“Dad coming home late at night from working all day, kissing us on the head and smelling like he’d been in the kitchen all day. Stuff like that. Those are memories that you just always remember.”

Larry Foles is a classic American success story. He started out on the bottom rung of the restaurant business. His first big break was assistant manager at a Shoney’s. One thing led to another, and in 2011 he and partner Guy Villavaso sold a group of restaurants for $59 million.

The Foles family is still involved in the restaurant business. In fact, count Rams backup QB Case Keenum as a satisfied customer.

“The Salty Sow in Austin,” Keenum said. “It’s incredible, it really is. Farm to table. It’s an awesome place.”

Because of all that hard work by his father and mother, Foles could concentrate on sports. Instead of getting an after-school job, he could train, lift weights, etc.

“I always took that to the practice field, always took that to the weight room, knowing that they gave me that opportunity to spend that time doing that,” Foles said.

In high school, the result was a star quarterback in football and two-time school MVP in basketball at Westlake High in Austin. That’s the same high school that Drew Brees attended, but by the time Foles was finished there he had thrown for 5,668 yards and 56 touchdowns and had broken many of Brees’ school records.

Even so, you could make the case that basketball was Foles’ best sport. He was recruited by Texas, Georgetown and Baylor in hoops and had Division I offers.

“I grew up loving basketball,” said Foles, who is 6-6. “And I still love basketball.”

He could dunk as an eighth-grader, and at one time could do the 360 jam. Had he been a couple, three inches taller — who knows? — he may have gone in that direction. But he also had a love for football.

“I prayed about it, and football was the way I was supposed to go,” Foles said. “I knew I could go further in football.”

He loved the leadership aspect of playing quarterback, but also the team aspect of depending on others to help get the job done.

After initially committing to Arizona State, he opted instead for Michigan State. During his redshirt freshman season, 2007, the Spartans’ quarterback meeting room consisted of Foles, Brian Hoyer and Kirk Cousins. That’s a pretty good room — all are now NFL starters.

And after Oklahoma transfer Keith Nichol joined the squad in 2008, Foles did some more praying. He decided to transfer to Arizona, leaving Michigan State with five completions in eight attempts for 57 yards during that redshirt year.

The rest of the story is more familiar. He brought a struggling Arizona program to respectability, then was drafted in the third round in 2012 by Andy Reid in Philadelphia. After three seasons there, including his incredible 2013 Pro Bowl campaign in which he threw 27 TD passes and only two interceptions in the regular season, Foles is now a Ram as a result of the Sam Bradford trade.

So what do the Rams have in Foles?

“You are asking one of Nick Foles’ biggest fans,” Reid, now with Kansas City, said after the Governor’s Cup game with the Rams at the Edward Jones Dome “He is smart, he has good accuracy, and he is a big body. A big, strong guy, and he is young. He is going nowhere but up here.”

And from Chiefs wide receiver Jeremy Maclin, the former Kirkwood High and University of Missouri star, and Foles’ teammate for three seasons in Philly:

“I’ve kind of heard the Rams guys saying, ‘In 5 we trust,’ and all that other stuff,” Maclin said. “So that just goes to show you the type of respect people give him based off the type of person he is and the type of player he is.”

Foles, of course, wears jersey No. 5 for the Rams.

In 5 we trust.

The Rams don’t really have a choice. The contract extension provided an exclamation point to the fact that they are all-in on Foles, for better or worse.

“What I have noticed from OTAs and training camp is this guy very rarely if ever makes the same mistake twice,” Weinke said. “So from the coaches’ point of view, it’s very encouraging. We are nowhere close to where we need to be. But I think that the process will come to fruition as we continue to go through this journey.”

===============

Rams trying to combat slow starts
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_4fbda182-8881-5f42-b7fc-e89ce144ec04.html

Slow starts have doomed the Rams in each of their three previous seasons under Jeff Fisher. Will season No. 4 be any different?

In 2013 and 2014, the team started 1-3. Things went a little differently in 2012, Fisher’s inaugural season here, when back-to-back home victories over Seattle and Arizona gave the squad a 3-2 record in early October.

But the Rams then proceeded to go winless in their next five games — one of them an overtime tie in San Francisco — and suddenly found themselves sitting at 3-6-1 by mid-November.

In all three seasons of Fisher Ball in St. Louis, the Rams have been 3-5 at the midway point of the season. In the ultra-competitive NFC West, that has meant the Rams were basically out of playoff contention by the first frost.

Suffice to say, getting out of the gates quicker has been a topic of conversation for much of the offseason and preseason, at least among the players who have been around for a while.

“We’ve got to figure out how to start fast,” linebacker James Laurinaitis said. “We’re always trying to claw back into things. You can’t do the first quarter of the season 1-3.

“You’re fighting, fighting, fighting and you’re really telling yourself, ‘Well, we’ve got three more quarters left of the season. We can lose three games maybe, four if you’re lucky and still get in.’ ”

Which means going 9-3 or 8-4 over the final three-quarters of the season, which is asking a lot.

So how do the Rams get off to a better start in 2015?

“You win more early. Right?” Fisher said. “We didn’t start off that way on purpose. You go out there and try to win every game. Once again, we’ve got a young team and we’ve got a new offense, a new quarterback. We just have to go out and play smart and not beat ourselves and just see what happens.”

At face value, the opening schedule for the Rams isn’t conducive to early success. Three of the first five games are on the road. And four of the five are against teams that made the playoffs last year — and are expected to be playoff, if not Super Bowl, contenders this season.

Opening-day opponent Seattle has been to back-to-back Super Bowls and is coming off a 14-win season. Week 3 opponent Pittsburgh is the defending AFC North champion. Week 5 opponent Green Bay lost the NFC title game in overtime to Seattle last season. And Week 4 foe Arizona claimed a wild-card berth after an 11-5 regular season.

So the only non-playoff team from 2014 that the Rams will see until late October is Washington in Week 2, a squad that finished 4-12 a year ago.

With all the moving parts on offense — new coordinator, new quarterback, young offensive line — defense and special teams may have to carry the load early.

“Obviously there’s more continuity on that side of the ball, the defensive side of the ball,” general manager Les Snead said at the outset of training camp. “So early on you would love for them to be the bell cow as we gel on offense.

“The offense may all of a sudden — bam! At Tennessee second preseason week they’re on all cylinders and you’re like, ‘OK, we’re ahead of the game.’ “

Obviously, no gelling of any sort took place Aug. 23 in Nashville, although the starting offense did show signs of improvement against Indianapolis and Kansas City.

Nonetheless, Snead’s basic point remains valid.

“When you’re looking at it, just on paper, a blueprint that would be the ideal scenario is the defense kind of pulls some weight as our offense gels and then once they gel, let’s roll,” he said.

The defense certainly has the capability of carrying the burden while the offense gets its legs under it, but the slow-starting trend has been present on that side of the ball as well.

“It seems like we start really slow against the run game,” Laurinaitis said. “You look at the end of the year and you’re like, ‘Hey, we weren’t too bad against the run.’

“But why do we start so slow? So I’ve been harping on that a whole lot.”

The Rams gave up 185 yards on the ground, and 6.0 yards per carry, in last season’s opener against Minnesota. More than one-third of that yardage came on a 67-yard end-around play by Cordarrelle Patterson for a touchdown late in the third quarter.

The following week at Tampa Bay, the Rams allowed 157 yards rushing and 5.2 yards a carry. Things got only marginally better in Game 3 against Dallas (123 yards, 4.2 yards per carry) and Game 3 against Philadelphia (145 yards, 4.4 yards per carry).

The Rams will see their share of strong runners out of the box this season, starting with Seattle’s Marshawn Lynch on Sunday.

When Steelers running back Le’Veon Bell had his suspension for violating the NFL substance abuse policy reduced from three to two games in late July, it meant he would make his season debut Sept. 27 against the Rams.

The Rams get Eddie Lacy, who has rushed for more than 1,100 yards in each of his first two NFL seasons, on Oct. 11 in Green Bay.

Although it may be an optimistic viewpoint given what transpired in the preseason, you get the feeling a seasoned defense will be ready Sunday when the real football begins.

But what of the offense? An offense facing a Seattle defense that ranked first overall in total defense and first in points allowed last season?

New Rams quarterback Nick Foles will be operating behind the league’s most inexperienced offensive line, with rookies Jamon Brown (left guard) and Rob Havenstein (right tackle) in the starting lineup.

Rest assured, the Seahawks will do everything in their power to confuse that unit via stunts, loops, blitzes, or changing alignments. So will every other defense on the Rams’ schedule until the young O-line shows it can handle it.

Progress was painfully slow on offense for much of the preseason, although the passing game at least showed some signs of life in the final two exhibition games.

“You always want to start off with a quick start in the sense you’re playing clean, good football at the beginning of the season,” Foles said. “That’s the big thing. I want to play clean, good football. We will be aggressive at times, but we’ve gotta play Ram football.”

That may be asking a lot, particularly early in the season.

============

Is this the year for Rams defense?
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_bff42e9d-8c3b-52cf-bd3b-6eb4b010442e.html

A year ago at this time, the Rams’ defensive front had a slick nickname, considerable national hype and every reason to believe quarterbacks throughout the league were quivering at their mere approach.

Well, you saw what happened to #SackCity. It became #SadSackCity for the first third of the 2014 season. Defensive mainstay Chris Long was lost for most of the season with a foot injury in the opener. On the heels of a 19-sack season, Robert Quinn got a ton of attention from opposing blockers.

Five games into the season, the Rams had one measly sack, not to mention a 1-4 record. And no one was calling them #SackCity. Granted, pass-rushing can be a streaky thing, and teams were getting the ball out quick. But no one, absolutely no one, expected this.

“As far as the nickname’s concerned, that’s something we never really — I mean maybe we re-tweeted something or favored it on Twitter,” Long said. “But it wasn’t something that came from us. We don’t want a nickname, we just want to go out and earn it, and earn our reputation.”

If the start of 2014 did anything, it reinforced the notion that nothing should be taken for granted in the NFL.

“And just because we look good on paper doesn’t mean if we don’t execute that it’s gonna work out,” Long said. “So we need to stay on the grindstone and keep working.”

That’s the approach the unit took after the rough start in 2014, and the final results were impressive. Over the final eight games of the season, the Rams were fifth in scoring defense, fourth in rushing defense, tied for fourth in sacks and tied for sixth in takeaways.

“We know who we are no matter what,” Long said. “Even in those low points last year where people were (wondering) what the hell is going on with us, we know who we are and nobody hits the panic button.”

So now, as the Rams embark on the 2015 season, there are no nicknames. But if anything, expectations are higher — and this time not just for the front four, but for the entire defense. Here’s why:

• Continuity. Ten of 11 starters are back, which is unheard of in this age of free agency and the salary cap. The only newcomer, free-agent pickup Akeem Ayers, replaces the departed Jo-Lonn Dunbar at outside linebacker.

• Depth. Not only are all the starters back, but most of the Rams’ two-deep from a year ago returns on defense. Of the 23 defensive players on the 2015 roster, 19 were with the squad last year.

• Pedigree. With the addition of another free-agent pickup, Nick Fairley, the Rams have five former first-round picks on their D-line. Ten of their 11 defensive starters were drafted in the first, second,or third round.

• Leadership. For the first time since Jeff Fisher’s arrival in 2012, the Rams are entering a season with the same defensive coordinator (Gregg Williams).

• Experience. Although the Rams remain one of the league’s younger teams, they have some seasoning on defense. With the exception of 2014 NFL defensive rookie of the year Aaron Donald, every member of the team’s top 11 has at least two seasons of NFL starting experience.

“They’ve set this thing up well with the way they’ve gone about it,” said linebacker James Laurinaitis. “It’s about that time for us. It’s not a young team anymore. It might be young still by age, but there’s a lot of experience out there. A lot of guys that have played a lot of minutes.

“So the expectations are going to be extremely high. And we have a lot of guys holding each other accountable more.”

Laurinaitis, the quarterback of the defense from his middle linebacker position, enters the year with 901 tackles, just 14 shy of Hall of Famer Merlin Olsen’s franchise record of 915. He’s been around long enough to realize the unique nature of returning basically an entire defense intact.

“It’s very rare. And it’s exciting,” Laurinaitis said.

And a defense littered with high draft picks and stocked with better depth.

“When you have five first-round D-linemen, it makes your short-yardage package a lot better. And your goal-line a lot better,” Laurinaitis said. “How do you utilize all five guys? What’s the rotation? ... How do you utilize certain guys for certain talents?”

If there’s a way, Williams will do it. The mad scientist of the St. Louis defense has a package for just about every scenario known to man. He has a knack for finding what players can do well, and then finding ways to let them excel in those roles.

“We don’t have to learn a whole new playbook again,” said defensive end Robert Quinn, a two-time Pro Bowler. “Same defense. Same calls. So now we can play faster. Now we can relate faster.

“It makes it more comfortable for us to be out there on the field and not trying to second-guess ourselves. ‘Should we do this? Should we do that? What have we got?’ Having stability in coordinators and players and all that has allowed us to stay comfortable and go out there and succeed.”

So despite what you may have seen or not seen in the preseason, there are plenty of reasons to think this is the year for the defense.

There’s Donald, who led all NFL rookies in sacks a year ago and may have had the best camp of any Ram. ... Consider also that Quinn (12) and linebacker Alec Olgletree (10) rank 1-2 in the league in forced fumbles since the start of the 2013 season. ... Cornerback Janoris Jenkins has the most defensive touchdowns in the NFL (six) since the start of the 2012 season.

Put it all together and this could finally be the year the Rams take their place as one of the NFL’s elite defenses. They have been building toward this for several seasons, fortifying their ranks with the extra draft picks acquired in the so-called RGIII trade with Washington, and sprinkling in free-agent additions here and there.

There are question marks in the secondary, particularly at cornerback, where the team’s one major preseason injury was a season-ender for E.J. Gaines (foot). The back end needs to minimize the number of busted coverages and big plays allowed.

Even so, anything less than a top 10 finish on defense will be disappointing. Simple as that. No more excuses, ifs, ands, buts.

“Oh, no doubt about it,” said veteran defensive end William Hayes. “I’ll be disappointed if we’re not a top-five defense. And I’m not saying that just because I play on this team.”

Hayes paused for an instant, and then reaffirmed his point to a reporter.

“I’ve never shot you wrong,” Hayes said. “I’ve always shot you straight. This team is gonna be special. And I’m not saying that just to say it. I played on some really good football teams in Nashville (with the Tennessee Titans). And if you put this roster up against any roster I played on, it’s not even close. That’s my personal opinion.”

Can this defense be special?

“With the youth and the depth and the talent level, we have a chance,” coach Jeff Fisher said. “When you talk about Rodney (McLeod) playing at his level and T.J. (McDonald) and Mark (Barron), just the options we have within our packages.

“I think Brock’s (Michael Brockers) gonna have his best year. And Aaron’s gonna be better than he was last year, and you add Nick to the mix inside, it’s gonna be pretty impressive.”

Can this defense be dominant?

“You expect that,” general manager Les Snead said. “They did a heck of a job last year when they tipped and turned and got to gel, and it was fun to watch (over the second half of the season). The goal is to carry that over into this year, and sooner rather than later.”

Can this defense be elite?

“We always think that,” Williams said. “You know, I’ve had some really good defenses in the past. I’ve had some really good ones across the leagues on other teams. We have the makings of it. But again, we have to stay healthy. And you know, some of the offenses, hopefully they’ll cooperate, too, and not play as well.”

Some “cooperation” would come in handy early in the season from the likes of Russell Wilson, Marshawn Lynch, Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers, and Carson Palmer. Last season, the Rams’ defense had a fancy nickname and nowhere to go. This year, it wants to make a name for itself.

===============

Gurley was too good to pass up
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_e135671c-6206-52f4-bdee-e14b1ba73a1f.html

At some point, probably in the next few weeks, the Todd Gurley era with the Rams will begin. He’ll take the ball from quarterback Nick Foles, hit the hole and get tackled for the first time since last November.

And coach Jeff Fisher’s long-range plan for the Rams’ new-look offense will begin.

“It’s been a long time coming,’’ Fisher said shortly after the Rams selected Gurley, who underwent ACL surgery on his left knee in November, with the 10th pick in the draft. “His body of work speaks for itself. Clearly, he was set back because of the injury, but the athletic ability, the strength, the explosion, the acceleration, the instincts that he has as a runner. And he’s also got great hands out of the backfield. He’s a complete back.’’

The type of do-it-all back that Fisher has sought since arriving in St. Louis. In his best days with the Tennessee Titans, Fisher relied on defense and the power running of Eddie George. This year’s Rams will lean heavily on the defense to set a tone, but now, thanks to a draft that yielded Gurley as well as four big and powerful blockers, their veteran coach is finally able to start building the ball- and clock-controlling offense he desires.

In a league where the running back position seems to have been devalued — in the drafts from 2011 through 2014, Trent Richardson, who went third to Cleveland in 2012, was the only back selected in the top 25 — the Rams went against the grain to select the player they coveted.

“This, for us, was one of those once-every-few-years talents, one of the best players we’ve seen come out in a while,’’ Rams general manager Les Snead said. “We just felt he was somebody we couldn’t pass up. This wasn’t about Week 1 against Seattle, whether he’d be ready to go then; we will let nature take its course on that. This was a long-term decision.’’

Gurley, who celebrated his 21st birthday days before the start of training camp, has been diligent in his rehab work and was recently cleared of any restrictions on the practice field. Now, it’s just a matter of time.

“We’re just going to build his reps on the practice field and we’ll see,’’ Fisher said. “He’ll get lots of reps.’’

BULLDOG DAYS

Mike Bobo will never forget Gurley’s ever-present smile.

“When Todd got to campus he was 17, just a kid,’’ said Bobo, the first-year head coach at Colorado State and Georgia’s offensive coordinator during Gurley’s time there. “He just always seemed to be having fun. And not just with the running backs or the offensive guys, he got along with everybody.’’

Mark Richt, Georgia’s head coach, agreed: “I just love the kid. Obviously, he was highly productive here, but on top of that there’s a charisma, a personality, that most guys don’t have. Just a great teammate and team leader.’’

On the field, Gurley made an immediate impact with the Bulldogs, starting 12 of 14 games and joining Georgia legend Hershel Walker as the only true freshmen in school history to rush for 1,000 yards. That fall, Gurley ran for 1,385 yards, averaging 6.2 per carry, and scored 18 touchdowns.

“Not every play is going to be blocked perfectly. If the hole’s there, Todd will take it to the house,’’ Bobo said. “But if not, he’s big enough and strong enough to impose his will, to push the pile and pick up the tough yards after contact.’’

Gurley missed three games in 2012 with an ankle injury but still managed to rush for 989 yards and score 15 times. That season, he also caught 37 passes.

As a junior last fall, Gurley was off to another monster season, rushing for 911 yards and 10 touchdowns while averaging 7.4 yards per carry when the NCAA suspended him for four games for accepting money for autographed memorabilia. Then, in his first game back, he went down with the knee injury.

“It’s unfortunate that it ended the way it did, but Todd did nothing but practice hard and play hard here,’’ said Richt, who’s been fortunate enough to replace Gurley with another Heisman-level back in Nick Chubb. “We’ve been blessed here at Georgia, and I coached some good ones at Florida State, too. But Todd’s different than anybody I’ve seen. Any way you want to rate a back — speed, vision, balance, agility, pass protection — you’re going to rate him extremely high.’’

Like a lot of others, Bobo used the term “special’’ when discussing Gurley.

“He’s still young, just turned 21 I think, but he grew up a lot while he was here,’’ Bobo said. “Learned how to practice, how to take care of himself off the field. He’s kind of tall for a back (at 6 feet 1, 227 pounds), but his lower body is just massive.

“With his combination of speed and power, I think he can be a franchise-changer,’’

Gurley finished his Georgia career with 222 carries for 3,285 yards, an average of 6.4 per rush, and also caught 65 passes for 615 yards. On 11 career kick returns, he averaged 38.4 yards and had a pair of 100-yarders. He rushed for 100-plus yards in 18 games and had a 208-yard game against Tennessee last fall. His 44 career touchdowns are second in school history behind Walker’s 52.

AN EARLY CHRISTMAS?

In his fourth season as running backs coach with the Rams, Ben Sirmans feels a little like a kid awaiting Christmas.

“You know that present under the tree is yours and you know it’s going to be something great,’’ the coach said, smiling. “But you gotta wait.

“I think anybody who’s ever seen Todd, on tape or in person, understands why we drafted him when we did. You just don’t see guys at his size with that kind of speed, elusiveness and explosion. But you can’t rush it. An injury like that, it takes time not only physically but mentally, making sure he has the confidence to make all those stressful cuts. So you work him back slowly.’’

In the meantime, Sirmans feels the Rams have more than enough in the backfield to be successful.

“We’re in good shape, the best we’ve been since I got here,’’ the coach said. “It’s a competitive group, with a lot of guys we can rely on. It’s a great situation for a coach because I have a bunch of guys who like to push each other every day but who also help and encourage one another.’’

Running backs on the 53-man roster are Tre Mason, Benny Cunningham, Isaiah Pead and Chase Reynolds.

Mason, a second-year pro from Auburn, came on to lead the Rams with 765 rushing yards a year ago, averaging 4.3 yards a carry. He also tied for the team lead with five touchdowns.

“I’m gonna do me, continue working to be the best I can be,’’ Mason said when asked about Gurley early in training camp. “You’ve got to accept each other as family.’’

Cunningham, a third-year pro, led the NFC in kickoff returns a year ago, averaging 27.5 yards. He also ran for 246 yard and three scores while finishing third on the squad with 45 catches for 352 yards and another score.

“The focus in the room is to make yourself better so that you can help improve the team,’’ Cunningham said.

Pead, like Gurley, is coming off ACL surgery. He was hurt while making a jump-cut on a kickoff return in the preseason and missed the 2014 campaign. Healthy again, the second-round draft pick from 2012 is hoping to finally reach the potential he showed as the Big East offensive player of the year as a senior at the University of Cincinnati.

Reynolds, who enjoyed a record-setting career at Montana, has become a special-teams standout over the last couple of seasons. He’s never had a regular-season carry in the NFL but finished among the league leaders with 19 special-teams tackles a year ago.

In addition, second-year pro Trey Watts, a versatile back who has excelled on special teams, is serving a four-game suspension for violating the league’s policy on substance abuse.

“Each of these guys have skills that can help this football team, and it’s our job as a coaching staff to try to make the most of those skills,’’ Sirmans said. “Rather than worrying about playing time, it’s important to focus on getting better because that’s what will help the team overall. Go about your business and when you get the chance, make sure you take advantage and produce because the guys who do what they’re asked to do and produce, they’re the ones who’ll see the most time on the field during games.’’