Rams Positional Outlook: Linebackers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Put him back at safety?
Unfortunately, I think that would be a greater schematic mismatch that at ILB.

He didn't play poorly, he's just not the ideal partner to Ogletree inside, whom also has suffered through injuries.

If you're thinking outside the box, you may have to at least consider (pending acquiring a true stud ILB who is a schematic fit to help with the run) and maybe keeping Barron for his coverage skills while trading Ogletree.

I personally think it starts at the line, you get a true nose tackle as a top priority, making Donald and Brockers truly scary, then you find a schematic fit at 3-4 OLB and recoup some money from Quinn's contract.

In that scenario, you could see them hold onto that duo at ILB for another season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I took up some time to find some of the news articles involving LB Mark Barron health related info. for the 2017 season. Beginning in the OTA's till the last game in 2018 playoffs. It's a fact that Mark has issues the entire season with health problems. If you use the search here in our forum much more discussions on this matter tool place. Really who would of thought that a former safety turned inside LB'er would eventually end up having healthy issues:whistle:.

I would love to hear from any member here who does not have concerns over this fact & the bigger issue with having two very high cost salary cap hits coming in from the 2 starting inside LB'er posts. Both are ex college safeties too boot. Both had injury concerns in 2017. Both playing side by side had major issues shutting down the run. Both Mark & Alec are outstanding players
when healthy. I do question having both of them playing side by side in this defense in the future with such a high cost associated with this. It does not look to be a wise way to go.

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2017/12/24/nfl-los-angeles-rams-mark-barron-injury-week-16-inactive/

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...rron-rodger-saffold-injuries-updates-week-17/
Mark Barron was a surprise scratch on Sunday against the Titans, winding up on the Rams’ inactive list 90 minutes before kickoff. He’s battled a litany of injuries this season, from his thumb to his knee, but this was a new ailment. He woke up with a sore Achilles Barron is still battling the injury and is considered “day-to-day.”“The most important thing is for those guys that are banged up right now – the Alec Ogletree’s, Mark Barron’s –

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/rams-mark-barron-bothered-by-achilles/
Rams' Mark Barron: Bothered by Achilles

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...s-mark-barron-sean-mcvay-knee-injury-week-15/

The Rams’ starting inside linebackers, Alec Ogletree and Mark Barron, have been a little bit beat up lately. Ogletree had a hyperextended his elbow against the Cardinals, while Barron has been battling a variety of injuries for much of the season.

On Sunday against the Seahawks, Barron’s ailments caught up with him when he left the game after just three defensive snaps due to a knee injury.

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/01/...-in-rams-loss-but-will-he-return-next-season/

Mark Barron overcomes injury to play in Rams’ loss, but will he return next season?

http://www.draftsharks.com/injury-update/mark-barron/5070

Mark Barron dealing with knee & Achilles Hill issues late in the 2017 season.

View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Training-Camp-Report-Quick-Hits-From-Day-16/0a5e4cc1-3408-4079-
Mark Baron MIA in TC practice.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-report-20180104-story.html

After missing action, Rams linebacker Mark Barron will be in starting lineup

View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Training-Camp-Report-Everything-You-Need-to-Know-From-Day-15/c79811e8-52cd-4d7d-9cfe-537274ce19f9
Mark Barron and Connor Barwin were held out

Last edited:

Kevin

Pro Bowler
I will post more about Wade Phillips' 3-4 defense later when we get into the defensive front, but I want to say that Barron is not mismatched at inside linebacker and Brockers is a true nose tackle in this defense. Phillips is a smart coach who can play this defense different ways to take advantage of each players strengths. It's not a typical 3-4 defense that has to have certina size players with certain skills at each individual position. The defense ain't broke guys.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
but I want to say that Barron is not mismatched at inside linebacker and Brockers is a true nose tackle in this defense.

Barron's likely departure isn't about him being mismatched at ILB. It's a business decision.

Brock was a revelation at 5T this season. Saying he's a NT in this defense isn't accurate IMO. In fact if they can add a NT to this front and leave him at 5T they'll be in business, and there's a lot of good NT types in this draft.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I will post more about Wade Phillips' 3-4 defense later when we get into the defensive front, but I want to say that Barron is not mismatched at inside linebacker and Brockers is a true nose tackle in this defense. Phillips is a smart coach who can play this defense different ways to take advantage of each players strengths. It's not a typical 3-4 defense that has to have certina size players with certain skills at each individual position. The defense ain't broke guys.

Afternoon Kevin ...help me out here if you will sir......Are we speaking of the 2016 season Brock who WAS 6-6 326 pound Gregg Williams Nose Tackle or the new version 2017 version Brockers who is now 6-6 lurking in around 300LB's?

How many near 6-6 300 pound 34 defense NT's are there in the NFL? I am having issue with finding some:headexplosion: I know there are some out there.....If Brockers @ 300 is a NT & Donald @ 280 is @ DT 3 tech post sure to be on the serious light side of things. Who's going to be the DL'er who will line up left beside Brockers @ NT?

Last edited:

Kevin

Pro Bowler

Bonifay, if I linked this correctly, this is a video of Wade Phillips explaining his version of the 3-4 defense. He describes different players of different size and athletic abilities he has coached as he goes through the alignment and assignment of each position. Note what he says at about the seven minute mark - in his scheme he can adjust alignment to suit the athleticism and skills of a player at each position and his scheme still works. He doesn't have to have a 330 lb nose tackle, etc...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Bonifay, if I linked this correctly, this is a video of Wade Phillips explaining his version of the 3-4 defense. He describes different players of different size and athletic abilities he has coached as he goes through the alignment and assignment of each position. Note what he says at about the seven minute mark - in his scheme he can adjust alignment to suit the athleticism and skills of a player at each position and his scheme still works. He doesn't have to have a 330 lb nose tackle, etc...
yes sir I have watched that tube many times & been involved in many posts referencing what it means. Its really pretty good is it not!

Wade might have to RE-Think some things if he goes into the season with a 283 pound DE @ NT like Westbrooks or a 43 D DE playing 34 D OLB 'er or a ex safety playing ISLB'er because the results we saw this season was not good in the run defense. I sure would like to see some improvement. I would add in here his defense did have major run issues coming from the play of Right OSLB'er (Quinn) so it was not up the middle all the time.

In truth the most likely real truth as to the run defense problem is not one player the combination of the wrong skilled players in some of these positions as a core starting group. When I naming veteran players like Quinn, Barron & Ogletree that's 34 million tied up in just 3 player in 2018.

nighttrain

Legend
Wade might have to RE-Think some things if he goes into the season with a 283 pound DE @ NT like Westbrooks or a 43 D DE playing 34 D OLB 'er or a ex safety playing ISLB'er because the results we saw this season was not good in the run defense. I sure would like to see some improvement. I would add in here his defense did have major run issues coming from the play of Right OSLB'er (Quinn) so it was not up the middle all the time.

In truth the most likely real truth as to the run defense problem is not one player the combination of the wrong skilled players in some of these positions as a core starting group. When I naming veteran players like Quinn, Barron & Ogletree that's 34 million tied up in just 3 player in 2018.
I hate to be the one, but add AD to that list and it's closer to 54 mil in four players. in a couple more years Gurley for 10-12 mil? and then Goff for 20 mil, the math won't work
train

Kevin

Pro Bowler
yes sir I have watched that tube many times & been involved in many posts referencing what it means. Its really pretty good is it not!

OK then, the cost to retain these players is a completely different issue and reason vs what you and other junior-GMs have said about Barron, Quinn and now Brockers "not fitting Wade's defensive system" being too small or too light or coming from a traditional 4-3 defense.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
OK then, the cost to retain these players is a completely different issue and reason vs what you and other junior-GMs have said about Barron, Quinn and now Brockers "not fitting Wade's defensive system" being too small or too light or coming from a traditional 4-3 defense.

Here's my response Kevin to the above:

#1- DL Micheal Brockers is a perfect fit for the Wade Defense. His starting position this past 2017 season is normally on the left side of the Nose Tackle @ the 5Tech DE post in this Wade 34 defense. The Brock played this post to near perfection. It would take many years to find a better player for this role!:bow:

#2- Alec Ogletree fits just fine in this defense too. So happens Tree was moved form a 43 standard MLB post into the Strong Inside LB'ing post to accommodate the much smaller Mark Barron who is a true weak side player. In truth Tree would be much more useful playing in the Weak Inside LB'er post. That Weak ILB'er post fits Tree's great talents & skills to a far better degree.

Please note here that the 2 above star Ram defenders are not too small nor too light for these positions......just perfect !

#3- Rob Quinn has always been a 43 DE for 7 straight NFL seasons. This season he was moved into the right OLB'er position in this 34 D for the first time. Quinn is not too small nor too light to play this OLB'er position. Quinn issues is he most all his best skills are going forward rushing the passer in passing situations. Quinn is far too stiff & has little ability to run laterally or in reverse something that is required playing OSLB in a 34 D. Coverage skills of a RB out of the back field is non existent He has very little no ability to set the edge on end runs. Quinn is usually found on the ground on most plays no where close to the runner. Finally most the sacks that most members throw out in Quinn defense came during times when Wade went to his specialty 4 down DL in pass rush ..Bottom Line I firmly state that Rob Quinn does not fit well in Wade defense as a full time starter. Quinn best suits a standard 43 defensive front by a far margin.

#4- Mark Barron is an outstanding football player very few teams have such players on the team. First thing that needs to be ephisized here is Mark was UNHEALTHY during the 2017 season. Knee was sore from beginning to end, broken thumb through out the middle of the season & then the wear & tear on his Achilles/hill area was very painful & sore from mid season on. Only a real great football player could have played through all that & he did! I have no ideal what the Rams Org will do in 2018 with Mark but his on field play did suffer bad @ times. Missed assignment was another area of poor play. In truth Mark would be better playing in a 43 D as the weak OUTSIDE LB'er. Mark could end up seeing some pro bowl season yet if he was playing a post that better suited his enormous talents.

When I do my overviews of Ram players I take up every element involved & yes I do not separate the cost (Salary Cap contracts ) involved in bringing in a player & keeping a player here as a Ram. I do not compartmentalize salaries away from the total package why because it plays a major part in this player being here or remaining here! Why would anyone exclude such an important elemental part of football from the player reviews or overviews?:thinking:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...n-webster-recovering-from-shoulder-surgeries/

Mark Barron, Kayvon Webster recovering from shoulder surgeries
Posted by Josh Alper on February 16, 2018

gettyimages-884959862-e1518808589703.jpg

Getty Images

Two members of the Rams defense can compare notes on shoulder rehab this offseason.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that linebacker Mark Barron and cornerback Kayvon Webster are both recovering from shoulder surgeries.

Barron missed a pair of games at the end of the year, although he was listed on the injury report with an Achilles issue rather than a shoulder injury. He returned for the playoff loss to the Falcons in the Wild Card round.

Rapoport reports that he’s expected to be ready to go in time for camp, although Barron has been mentioned as a potential cap casualty. Moving on from Barron would save the Rams $7 million under the cap and that money could be useful as they work toward a long-term deal for defensive tackle Aaron Donald.

Webster tore his Achilles in December and his recovery from that injury will likely determine when he’s ready to return to action this year. Webster started 11 games and made an interception in his first season with the Rams.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Rams-Positional-Outlook-Outside-Linebackers/45ccdebb-6f46-4e99-9140-9798bfd4a510

Rams Positional Outlook: Outside Linebackers
Myles Simmons

The 2017 Rams won their first NFC West title since 2003 with an 11-5 regular-season record. As Los Angeles’ focus shifts to 2018 and beyond, we’ll take a position-by-position look at how the Rams performed in 2017 and how each group currently stands at the start of the 2018 offseason.

OUTSIDE LINEBACKERS

OLB | Robert Quinn
— Second on team with 8.5 sacks || Tied for second on team with eight tackles for loss || 12 QB hits || two forced fumbles || 34 total tackles

OLB | Connor Barwin
— 43 tackles || 5.0 sacks || four TFLs || nine QB hits || one fumble recovery

OLB | Matt Longacre
— Third on team with 5.5 sacks || Tied for second on team with 12 QB hits || Five TFLs || One forced fumble || One fumble recovery

OLB | Samson Ebukam
— 38 tackles || 2.0 sacks || three QB hits || one TFL || one forced fumble || tied for team lead with eight special teams tackles

OLB | Carlos Thompson
— Three tackles | one tackle for loss | one special teams tackle

OLB | Garrett Sickles
— Active for Week 17 after spending much of the season on Los Angeles’ practice squad

OLB | Ejuan Price
— Active for Week 9, spending much of the rest of the season on Los Angeles’ practice squad | Signed a futures contract following the conclusion of the season

ANY FREE AGENTS?

Barwin will be an unrestricted free agent in mid-March. Longacre is slated to be a restricted free agent. And both Thompson and Sickles will be exclusive rights free agents.

LOOK BACK, LOOK AHEAD

With Los Angeles shifting to coordinator Wade Phillips’ 3-4 scheme, outside linebackers had a different role on the 2017 Rams.

Quinn, for instance, went from being designated as a defensive end to an outside linebacker. His role within the defense did not change all that much — he was rushing the passer in the vast majority of situations. And with his snaps closely monitored from the offseason program through the season, Quinn was able to play in 15 of the Rams’ 16 regular-season games — the most playing time he’s received since 2014.

The Rams brought in Barwin as a free agent last March to help in the defensive transition, and the linebacker delivered with his play and his leadership. Barwin recorded 5.0 sacks in 14 games, recovering quickly from a forearm injury to help the Rams clinch their NFC West title.

Longacre and Ebukam provided strong rotational pieces for the Rams throughout the season, with both players making starts for the OLB ahead of them. Longacre started in Week 9 against the Texans for Quinn and Ebukam in Week 12 at Arizona for Barwin. With a strong rookie showing, it doesn’t seem like much of a stretch to project Ebukam’s role to expand in 2018.

And while it looks as if most of the Rams’ outside linebackers should be back with the organization in 2017, L.A. and Barwin will have to figure out if both parties are a fit for one another going forward. Barwin was on only a one-year contract, and at 31, he may have a few seasons of good football left. The former Texan and Eagle did tell the media after the season ended that he’d “love to be back” in L.A. in 2018.

“I’ve been down this road before,” Barwin said. “I’ll just let it take care of itself, enjoy these next couple of months, and then hope to be back and get to work.”

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I like this group of OLB's but I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of them get replaced in the Off-Season thru the Draft and the FA Market!(y);)

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
OLB's are a different breed in a 3-4. They're more like defensive ends in a 4-3. I think if there is one area we need to look hard at it would be the OLB's. Quinn might return to form as an edge rusher but he's going to be expensive to keep. I like Ebukam but is he ready for a full time starter role? Barwin added a nice vet presence but its clear his best days are behind him.

Then there's the run defense. Our run defense had holes in it. We do have some questions there if we want to be a top ten defense. Stop the run. Get some pressure from the outside and we'll have a dominant defense. Just need the right pieces.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.dailynews.com/2018/02/22/los-angeles-rams-offseason-analysis-linebackers/

Los Angeles Rams offseason analysis: Linebacker
By RICH HAMMOND

The Rams’ linebackers have been shape-shifters for a while, and stability isn’t likely on the horizon.

Robert Quinn and Connor Barwin moved from defensive end to outside linebacker (Barwin had previous experience there), while Alec Ogletree moved from outside linebacker to inside and played alongside Mark Barron, a former safety.

Then there’s the scheme of defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, which nominally is a 3-4 but usually plays more like a 5-2, with the outside linebackers at the line of scrimmage. Some debate existed as to whether Phillips had the ideal personnel for his scheme.

If not, the Rams can make some roster moves, free themselves from a couple large contracts and pursue other options, but that would risk creating some instability in a tight-knit locker room. As part of an ongoing series, here’s an in-depth glance at the Rams’ situation at linebacker:

2017 STARTERS: Mark Barron (86 tackles, 1.0 sack, three interceptions), Connor Barwin (34 tackles, 5.0 sacks), Alec Ogletree (one interception, 95 tackles, 2.0 sacks, one forced fumble), Robert Quinn (32 tackles, 8.5 sacks, two forced fumbles).

RESERVES: Samson Ebukam (31 tackles, 2.0 sacks, one forced fumble, Cory Littleton (one interception, 36 tackles, 1.0 sack, one forced fumble), Matt Longacre (23 tackles, 5.5 sacks, one forced fumble), Bryce Hager (12 tackles, one forced fumble), Carlos Thompson (5 tackles), Cameron Lynch (3 tackles).

PENDING FREE AGENTS: Barwin, Longacre (restricted), Lynch (restricted), Thompson (restricted).

GRADING 2017

There’s an important difference here between flashy plays and consistency, particularly for the Rams’ inside duo of Barron and Ogletree, and it’s not exactly a flattering one.

Barron and Ogletree feature impressive, sideline-to-sideline speed, but aren’t exactly the stoutest pair of middle linebackers. That showed up in run defense, when opposing teams’ blockers sometimes would get into the second level and win physical battles against Barron and Ogletree.

The same could be said, in a different way, for Quinn, who bounced back nicely after a 2016 season full of injuries and, at times, showed impressive burst in pass rushing, but struggled at times when it came to setting an edge on the outside in run defense. Still, Quinn gave the Rams some fantastic highlight moments when he was able to turn the corner on an offensive tackle and get to the quarterback.

Barwin, who previously played under Phillips in Houston, had some impressive moments but was far from dominant and had to recover from a midseason broken forearm. GRADE: B-

ANALYZING 2018

Before the start of free agency in mid-March, the Rams need to make a couple important decisions. They can save more than $11 million if they cut Quinn and $7 million if they cut Barron.

The Rams don’t necessarily need that money — although it wouldn’t hurt in their quest to sign Aaron Donald to a new contract — and they’re not going to cut one of those players just for the sake of it. An upgrade would be needed, and there’s no guarantee of that on the free-agent market.

Plus, Barwin is on the verge of leaving as an unrestricted free agent, and the Rams probably wouldn’t want to lose a huge chunk of their linebacking group.

Some change is likely, though. Ebukam progressively played his way into a bigger role as a rookie in 2017 and looked ready for an even bigger role, and Longacre remains a consistent player despite some injury issues. If Barwin or Quinn does not return, look for Ebukam to step into one of those roles.

The tougher decision is in the middle. Barron had a long list of injuries this season and isn’t likely to get healthier as his career progresses. Do the Rams turn things over to Littleton, who also looked good as a reserve, or keep Barron and Ogletree together and make big changes at outside linebacker? LEVEL OF NEED: MEDIUM

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-ranking-the-lb-prospects-for-the-2018-nfl-draft

Ranking the LB prospects for the 2018 NFL Draft
BY SAM MONSON

Here’s a look at PFF’s linebacker rankings that encapsulates our grading of every snap dating back to 2014 as well as a deeper dive into film study on each player.

Draft-Board-Rankings-LB-1024x576.jpg

1. ROQUAN SMITH, GEORGIA
The class of this year’s linebacker crop, Georgia’s Roquan Smith is a talented and athletic linebacker who perfectly fits the mold of the modern NFL. Like Atlanta’s Deion Jones, Smith has the talent to be a matchup weapon on defense when it comes to coverage and has the speed and athleticism to make plays sideline to sideline, neutralizing some of the game’s most effective offensive weapons.

There will be people that nitpick his game, but his PFF grades have been excellent and he had 74 defensive stops in 2017, the second-most among all linebackers. His coverage skills can be something special at the next level, he is the best linebacker in this class and should be taken high in the first round.

2. TREMAINE EDMUNDS, VIRGINIA TECH
If there is a player liable to make people lose their minds when it comes to the prospect of athletic potential, it’s Virginia Tech’s Tremaine Edmunds. A monster of a linebacker, Edmunds is 6-foot-5, 250-pounds at just 19 years old, and it comes on a long, lean frame. He looks unlike the rest of this linebacker group and is already a very good player.

He is not, however, in Roquan Smith’s class, and projecting him above Smith requires the assumption that he will put all of his athletic tools together with improved technique and performance at the next level. He has been very productive, with 128 defensive stops over the past three seasons, only two of which were every-down seasons. Edmunds is likely a very good linebacker in any scheme and has the potential to be special, but at the moment that potential represents a gamble.

3. LEIGHTON VANDER ESCH, BOISE STATE
The third linebacker who has first-round value on PFF’s draft board, Boise State’s Vander Esch is something of a one-season wonder, but that one season showcased the kind of impact linebacker he can be. He’s an instinctive linebacker who excels in the run game and is able to work quickly to the back through traffic and bottle up those plays.

He notched 57 run stops in 2017, which led all FBS inside linebackers along with his run-stop percentage (15.9 percent). His coverage is solid and his positioning is sound, but he doesn’t have the same coverage range and skills as the best players in this draft class yet, though he is still relatively inexperienced.

4. RASHAAN EVANS, ALABAMA
Evans is another linebacker to come from Alabama’s pipeline, which has produced a number of NFL linebackers recently. He has excellent athletic and physical traits, and that gives him as high a ceiling as any linebacker in this class. He could also go as high as the first round if teams fall in love with those physical abilities, but his game on the field needs significant development.

His coverage needs work and how successful that work is will likely determine his ultimate value at the next level, but his play against the run and how efficient he can be on the blitz should allow him to make an early impact.

5. JOSEY JEWELL, IOWA
Iowa’s Jewell is an all-around linebacker who has graded well in all areas. He doesn’t have the same eye-popping measurables as the players above him in this list, but he has some impressive tape that should get him deserved consideration regardless.

He has been a quality coverage linebacker and allowed zero touchdowns in 2017 despite leading the draft class among linebackers with 55 targets on the season. He also had 61 defensive stops, the sixth-most among linebackers in this class, giving him three-down ability at the next level.

6. JEROME BAKER, OHIO STATE
Baker has the athletic profile of a first-round pick at linebacker, but his best season came in 2016. His 2017 season was solid, but a significant drop from the overall PFF grade of 87.7 that he managed the year before.

He can move well in coverage and mirror receivers in man coverage, but he surrendered three touchdowns in each of his past two seasons and has just two picks and two pass breakups over that same span, so he needs to improve his ability to challenge at the catch point.

7. MALIK JEFFERSON, TEXAS
Jefferson was once one of the top high school recruits in the country, but he never quite fully realized that potential at Texas, and only this past season did we begin to see him tap into that potential. He has the athletic profile of a top NFL linebacker and when coming forwards he can be a stud, but things get significantly more worrying when he has to play in space and drop into coverage.

He missed at least 10 tackles every season of his college career, and 15 in 2017. NFL teams will like his potential, but it’s a long shot to think he will ever fulfill it entirely.

8. AL-RASHEED BENTON, WEST VIRGINIA
There are few linebackers that have the kind of leadership qualities that Benton displayed at WVU. He has three seasons of solid play, but saw his college career end on an ugly note, with back-to-back struggles and a bowl defeat as his send off.

He didn’t allow a touchdown in coverage over the past two seasons, albeit on just 33 targets, but did have two interceptions and three pass breakups in 2017 alone. Was a missed tackle machine in 2017, falling off 28 tackles, the most in the nation and three times as many as his 2016 total. He very well could prove to be a mid-round steal if he limits the missed tackles.

9. SHAQUEM GRIFFIN, UCF
One of the most intriguing players in the entire draft, UCF’s Shaquem Griffin is missing one hand after having it amputated as a child. He has been an exceptional pass-rusher in college, but would be remarkably undersized for that role in the NFL and will likely need to prove his abilities as an off-the-ball-linebacker.

However, Griffen did generate pressure at a greater per-snap rate than 2016 first-round pick Hasson Reddick. Griffin has overcome long odds throughout his football career, but his true prospects at linebacker are all a projection.

10. STACY THOMAS, LOUISVILLE
A year ago, Thomas posted one of the best single-season PFF grades we have seen from any linebacker in this class at Louisville (91.2). He took a major step back in 2017 and while he wasn’t bad, he was notably less impressive and flawed as a player.

Thomas doesn’t wow athletically on tape and could potentially rejuvenate his prospects if he tests well before the draft, but otherwise, he hits the NFL coming off some weak tape.

11. SKAI MOORE, SOUTH CAROLINA
Moore has a lot of negatives working against him, but his play has been excellent in the SEC, which is no small order. His PFF coverage grade of 88.7 was one of the highest in the nation in 2017, one spot above Georgia’s Smith, and his instincts are clearly excellent.

He will need to convince NFL teams that he can still produce with a step up in competition given he is both undersized and potentially less athletic than they would like. Missing the entire 2016 season with a herniated disc is also a major injury red flag and he will need to check out medically as well.

fearsomefour

Legend
I would look for Cory Littleton to be moved back to both outside LB'ers post to compete with Ebukam, Longacre, Thompson & Price. I could see Wade former ILB'er UFA Todd Davis being a good fit here. He would be our best inside run defender even with Barron & Tree here.

As Ram65 said the wear & tear health of Barron is a serious concern even without the very over the top cost of his contract. He was never healthy last season even before the season began missed most all the practices in TC, PS & through-out the regular season. No wonder he was not as effective on the field as he has been in the past.
As I have posted over and over I want Davis signed via FA. I could see a rotation that has Davis and Ogletree inside with Barron moving to OLB. This would give the Rams a more stout run D while not losing athletism.
With Davis coming into the fold and Barron staying it offers a lot of flexibility.
I could see the best four....Ogletree, Barron, Davis, Quinn....on the field together quite a bit with Davis and Barron both moving inside and outside.
Littleton, Hagar, Samson....they are good depth pieces.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Not that these players aren't good
I think they, the backups, were exposed in the season finale vs the 9ers...
I have big concerns with his health.
oh yeah?
As Ram65 said the wear & tear health of Barron is a serious concern even without the very over the top cost of his contract. He was never healthy last season even before the season began missed most all the practices in TC, PS & through-out the regular season. No wonder he was not as effective on the field as he has been in the past.
Oh yeah?
I'm a Mark Barron fan but, like the article stated there are concerns about his ability to hold up. Instead of poor health let's call it questions on health for Mark Barron.
Really?
Really who would of thought that a former safety turned inside LB'er would eventually end up having healthy issues:whistle:.
Yes, who would have thunk a former SS....WLB....would have difficulties staying healthy inside at LB? Who? Whom???

Surprised some haven't called for your heads with this in here....I spent WEEKs arguing about Barron's health...longevity...ability to stay effective as a ILB....
The defense ain't broke guys.
hmmm
http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense/seasontype/2
19th overall in yards
12th in points
maybe not broken...but definitely bruised....and battered.