Rams Positional Outlook: Linebackers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Rams-Positional-Outlook-Inside-Linebackers/e78c2ec9-bc5d-4772-bffa-608e82d25485

Rams Positional Outlook: Inside Linebackers
Kristen Lago

The 2017 Rams won their first NFC West title since 2003 with an 11-5 regular-season record. As Los Angeles’ focus shifts to 2018 and beyond, we’ll take a position-by-position look at how the Rams performed in 2017 and how each group currently stands at the start of the 2018 offseason.

INSIDE LINEBACKERS

MLB | Alec Ogletree

600x360-160918_205_Seahawks_at_Rams.jpg

Team-leading 128 total tackles || 2.0 sacks || 11 quarterback hits || One interception returned for a touchdown

LB | Mark Barron

ohwe0h-b88855215z.120161208190534000gg8kfm8k.10.jpg

108 total tackles (No. 2 On the Rams) || Four tackles for loss || Team-leading three interceptions || Seven pass breakups

LB | Cory Littleton

Cory+Littleton+UkYfXHROTfsm.jpg

31 total tackles || Two tackles for loss || 1.0 sacks || One interceptions || League-leading two blocked punts || Seven special teams tackles

MLB | Bryce Hager

los-angeles-rams-linebacker-bryce-hager-looks-on-during-an-nfl-game-picture-id855402776

11 total tackles || 2.0 sacks || One forced fumble and fumble recovery || Four special teams tackles

LB | Cam Lynch

camlynch_600.jpg

— Re-signed to the Rams’ active roster in Week 13 and played three games || Two total tackles

ANY FREE AGENTS?

Lynch will be a restricted free agent in March.

LOOK BACK, LOOK AHEAD

The Rams defense underwent several changes throughout the offseason under coordinator Wade Phillips — most significantly going from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense. With the new scheme came a few transitions for both of the starting inside linebackers.

While the entire unit took some time to adapt to Phillips’ system, all Los Angeles’ inside linebackers showcased their playmaking abilities down the stretch.

Ogletree agreed to a four-year extension that will keep him with the Rams through the 2021 season. He has been a staple on the franchise’s defense since he was drafted in 2013 — leading the team in tackles in four of his five seasons. He was voted a captain for the second time in 2017.

Barron worked alongside Ogletree and he was one of the Rams most consistent defenders. His 108 total tackles were the second-most on the team, behind only Ogletree. And under Phillips, the Alabama product was able to showcase his impressive athleticism, especially when dropping into coverage — as evidenced by his team-leading three interceptions.

Both Hager and Littleton were also key rotational pieces, stepping in for Ogletree and Barron at various times throughout the year. Although Littleton was most impressive as a special teams contributor — blocking a league-leading two punts — he was able to fill in admirably for Barron when the linebacker suffered an Achilles injury late in the season.

Hager also developed significantly throughout the year. Because of the team’s practice schedule, the Baylor product was able to fill in for Ogletree during the preparation week. And those additional reps with the first-team helped Hager tremendously — getting him ready for situations like the Week 13 contest against the Cardinals, when Ogletree was taken out with an elbow injury.

With Hager as the defensive signal caller, the Rams limited Arizona to just 18 rushing yards in the second half. He finished the contest with with one tackle, one quarterback hit, and one pass defense.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Not that these players aren't good, but I look for the Team to get better in this area through FA and the Draft!!

Ram65

Legend
The decision on Barron's future is a big one. I have big concerns with his health. If he can NOT stay on the field it's time to cut bait. He will cost 10 Million this year. If cut his dead money is 3 Million with a savings of 7 Million.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/mark-barron-9817/

I don't think Hagger or Littleton are ready for full time duty. Draft or FA?

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would look for Cory Littleton to be moved back to both outside LB'ers post to compete with Ebukam, Longacre, Thompson & Price. I could see Wade former ILB'er UFA Todd Davis being a good fit here. He would be our best inside run defender even with Barron & Tree here.

As Ram65 said the wear & tear health of Barron is a serious concern even without the very over the top cost of his contract. He was never healthy last season even before the season began missed most all the practices in TC, PS & through-out the regular season. No wonder he was not as effective on the field as he has been in the past.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Obvious I’m in the minority but I feel an ultra Stud Mike is the teams number 1 need...allow Ogletree to move over and flourish, still keep Barron

Ram65

Legend
Obvious I’m in the minority but I feel an ultra Stud Mike is the teams number 1 need...allow Ogletree to move over and flourish, still keep Barron

Why would you get a Ultra Stud Mike Mike and keep Barron with poor health and high cap hit?

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Even though he is not getting much love in the draft rankings, I'd love to see my nephew get a shot with the horns. He had some pretty decent numbers. Second all-time team history in tackles. Third in Mountain West in TFL this year. HM all-conference.

Nevada ILB Austin Paulhus.

25.png

9613772_web1_fbc-unlv-112617hf_050.jpg

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Rams have to make some hard decisions this offseason. Barron is going to be one of them. Good player, but just not worth that much money in this scheme and position.

Also, it's a position where they have a young player in Littleton who the team might feel good about playing that position as a starter. Not saying the team thinks he's optimal by any means, but he might allow them to not be too desperate to fill it.

And perhaps more importantly there are some really good options at ILB in this draft for upgrades. Best options will be at 23, but they will also have some options in rounds 3 and 4 depending on how things break down.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Leighton vander esh
The Kid out of Boise St. 6ft 4In. looks pretty good, OLB, I think he'll go in the 2nd round, right now, But we'll see what the Combine etc. does for him!(y);)

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams have to make some hard decisions this offseason. Barron is going to be one of them. Good player, but just not worth that much money in this scheme and position.

Put him back at safety?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Put him back at safety?

I would think not, they're going to need to trim money and you can find box safety types all over the place, from the draft to the UDFA types to affordable FAs.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Why would you get a Ultra Stud Mike Mike and keep Barron with poor health and high cap hit?
Poor Health? I’m assuming you’re incorrect of course, do you know something concrete that I don’t regarding his health? A healthy Mark Barron as your number three LB?

Sounds good to me

Tree would be so much better as our two, it amazes me how nobody here appears to realize the impact a REAL Stud ILB, like a Bobby Wagner, would have on this defense, instead many here appear to be focused on DT or OLB

C’est la vie

I also feel Quinn is closer than many here think to being back to his 2013 level, I keep him, this talk going on elsewhere about is demise is nonsense

We all have opinions and those are mine

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The decision on Barron's future is a big one. I have big concerns with his health. If he can NOT stay on the field it's time to cut bait.

What are your health concerns? The 14 games he played last season, or the 16 games he played in each of the previous 3 seasons? Or that he was third on the Rams in defensive snaps last season?

There are reasons to replace him, especially if the Rams can get a draft pick from the Browns for him. But given how he is so often around the ball, I don't see him as being particularly fragile. He did get some dings, as does pretty much any inside linebacker.

Ram65

Legend
Poor Health? I’m assuming you’re incorrect of course, do you know something concrete that I don’t regarding his health? A healthy Mark Barron as your number three LB?

What are your health concerns? The 14 games he played last season, or the 16 games he played in each of the previous 3 seasons? Or that he was third on the Rams in defensive snaps last season?

There are reasons to replace him, especially if the Rams can get a draft pick from the Browns for him. But given how he is so often around the ball, I don't see him as being particularly fragile. He did get some dings, as does pretty much any inside linebacker.

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...-rams-mark-barron-injury-sean-mcvay-playoffs/

Sean McVay 'absolutely' worried Mark Barron's injury could linger into playoffs
Mark Barron has played all but one game this season despite battling numerous injuries, from his thumb to his knee. Most recently, he’s dealt with an Achilles injury that came out of nowhere last week before the Rams’ game against the Titans, experiencing some soreness when he woke up.

Now, he’s listed as doubtful for Sunday’s game against the 49ers, and given the situation, it’s highly unlikely he plays in Week 17. The Rams are simply hoping he’ll be healthy enough to play next weekend in the wild card round of the playoffs..........................................................................................................................................

Barron was held out of practices for some time during the season too as he has been battle injuries for a while. I thought this was well known around here. The new achilles injury is very concerning as well as any knee injury. He was held out of the Titans game in cooler weather.

Is there any concrete information the GW in Cleveland would trade for Barron other than he liked him when he was with the Rams?

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...-rams-mark-barron-injury-sean-mcvay-playoffs/

Mark Barron has played all but one game this season despite battling numerous injuries, from his thumb to his knee. Most recently, he’s dealt with an Achilles injury that came out of nowhere last week before the Rams’ game against the Titans, experiencing some soreness when he woke up.

Now, he’s listed as doubtful for Sunday’s game against the 49ers, and given the situation, it’s highly unlikely he plays in Week 17. The Rams are simply hoping he’ll be healthy enough to play next weekend in the wild card round of the playoffs..........................................................................................................................................

Barron was held out of practices for some time during the season too as he has been battle injuries for a while. I thought this was well known around here. The new achilles injury is very concerning as well as any knee injury. He was held out of the Titans game in cooler weather.

Is there any concrete information the GW in Cleveland would trade for Barron other than he liked him when he was with the Rams?

Everything you just stated was basically nagging non major issues, had they been major he would have never played postseason, shear speculation on what his condition will be entering training camp, nothing more nothing less

Not sure what you’re insinuating with the GW reference, I sure as heck haven’t speculated on that angle

No need to take this any further time will reveal soon enough

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Barron was held out of practices for some time during the season too as he has been battle injuries for a while. I thought this was well known around here. The new achilles injury is very concerning as well as any knee injury. He was held out of the Titans game in cohatoler weather.

Nagging injuries. He still had the third most defensive snaps on the team, despite normally being in the center of things. After three seasons of not missing a game. You make it sound like he was on his last legs, instead of getting banged up like virtually all veteran inside linebackers. What makes you think anybody replacing him wouldn't also get banged up?

GW of course hasn't said anything - that would be tampering. But he always liked him with the Rams, and made him a key part of the defense. Meanwhile, the Browns have more draft picks than they can easily integrate into the team at one time, and a ton of cap room. It makes football sense for the Browns to use some of their picks and cap room to get vets in the middle of their careers who know the system. I would think GW would bang on the table for someone like Barron, though I know he wouldn't have final say.

Ram65

Legend
https://www.ocregister.com/2018/01/...-in-rams-loss-but-will-he-return-next-season/
Mark Barron overcomes injury to play in Rams’ loss, but will he return next season?

By RICH HAMMOND | rhammond@scng.com | Orange County Register
PUBLISHED: January 6, 2018 at 9:08 pm | UPDATED: January 6, 2018 at 9:14 pm
LOS ANGELES — This was the only place in America that Mark Barron could have played Saturday.

With most of the country blanketed by snow and bundled against the cold, Barron and his balky Achilles tendon enjoyed Southern California, where the temperature hovered in the low 60s.

Barron, a starting inside linebacker for the Rams, returned to the lineup for Saturday night’s 26-13 wild-card-round playoff loss against Atlanta at the Coliseum. Barron had missed the previous two games with the heel injury, the extent of which the Rams haven’t revealed.

Coach Sean McVay said this week that cold weather aggravates Barron’s Achilles, which is why did didn’t play two weeks ago at Tennessee. Barron returned to his normal starting position alongside Alec Ogletree in the middle of the Rams’ defense, but there’s a question as to how long that pairing will last.

Barron, 28, has three seasons remaining on the five-year, $45 million contract extension he signed with the Rams in March 16, and under the right circumstances, he could soon be a roster-cut candidate.

Barron’s salary-cap hit for the 2018 season is $10 million, but if the Rams cut him before June 1, he would count only $3 million against the cap.

Why would the Rams consider cutting a productive veteran? There are some concerns about Barron’s ability to hold up, in terms of injuries. Before this season, Barron hadn’t missed a game since 2013, but he’s been playing through hand and knee problems, plus the more recent Achilles injury.

Barron is a converted safety who moved to outside linebacker, then inside. He’s listed, perhaps a bit generously, at 225 pounds (and 6-foot-2), and it’s possible that the lack of heft contributes to injuries, and there’s no guarantee he will return to full health in 2018.

The Rams also feel good about second-year linebacker Cory Littleton, who has filled in for Barron this season, but that doesn’t necessarily mean Barron is headed out the door.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
Nagging injuries. He still had the third most defensive snaps on the team, despite normally being in the center of things. After three seasons of not missing a game. You make it sound like he was on his last legs, instead of getting banged up like virtually all veteran inside linebackers. What makes you think anybody replacing him wouldn't also get banged up?

GW of course hasn't said anything - that would be tampering. But he always liked him with the Rams, and made him a key part of the defense. Meanwhile, the Browns have more draft picks than they can easily integrate into the team at one time, and a ton of cap room. It makes football sense for the Browns to use some of their picks and cap room to get vets in the middle of their careers who know the system. I would think GW would bang on the table for someone like Barron, though I know he wouldn't have final say.

The decision on Barron's future is a big one. I have big concerns with his health. If he can NOT stay on the field it's time to cut bait. He will cost 10 Million this year. If cut his dead money is 3 Million with a savings of 7 Million.

My original post was similar to the article above. I don't know how you got that I was saying he is on his last legs. Barron is undersized, banged up well before the end of the season with an achilles that kept him out of a game at the end of the season and his cap hit/savings is considerable money. I'm a Mark Barron fan but, like the article stated there are concerns about his ability to hold up. Instead of poor health let's call it questions on health for Mark Barron.

If GW is interested in obtaining Mark Barron I'm all ears. It does make sense.