Rams position preview: OL betting on position switch at center and big year from Andrew Whitworth

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
(I don't like posting paywalled articles but this topic is too important)

By Jourdan Rodrigue 3h ago
comment-icon.png
save-icon.png

The Los Angeles Rams’ rookies and quarterbacks report to training camp on July 25, and the veteran players arrive shortly afterward. In the weeks leading up to the return of football — and a “normal” preseason, we’re taking a position-by-position look at the team, so we can tide you over with football tidbits until we get there. Previously, we talked about quarterbacks. Today, we’re talking about the Rams’ offensive line.
If the Rams’ offseason bet on quarterback Matthew Stafford gets all the flash and headlines, the one they made on their offensive line entering 2021 might quietly be just as important. With one position change — moving former right guard Austin Corbett to center — they have created two questions, in Corbett and in Bobby Evans, who is slated to take over Corbett’s old spot.
They also have a new offensive line coach in Kevin Carberry, who previously held the same role at Stanford. Head coach Sean McVay has been blending more power concepts with his trademark outside zone scheme for the past couple of years, and in part that has meant shifting the physical prototype of his interior offensive linemen to be a little more stout, and have a little bit more downhill strength, as opposed to the lighter-framed and perhaps quicker guys previously in the position. Between that — seeing his role lose its long-term sustainability — and a low offer from the Rams last spring, former starter Austin Blythe actually took an even lower offer from Kansas City in free agency, setting up the position shift before a training camp competition could have potentially happened.
The Rams clearly had decided to go all-in on their offensive line bet with Corbett in the early spring because despite a lauded 2021 draft class of interior offensive linemen, they didn’t draft one. While Corbett, who was a really solid right guard, could be the answer at center despite never playing a snap at the position in a Rams jersey, the simple fact is that we just don’t know whether this move will work or not — and without a draft pick developing in-house, there’s not a huge range of viable options as a contingency plan.
Additions: (wind whistles through the trees)
In all seriousness, the Rams did add a couple of undrafted free agents, tackle Alaric Jackson and guard/center Jordan Meredith, as well as International Pathways Program player Max Pircher, who is learning the tackle position. These players aren’t likely to make an impact in their rookie season, however, since they’re in need of some development.
Subtractions: Austin Blythe (center)
Projected starters (not reflective of a 53-man cutdown): Andrew Whitworth (LT), David Edwards (LG), Austin Corbett (C), Bobby Evans (RG), Rob Havenstein (RT)
One neat detail, and probably a pretty important one, was that all of the offensive linemen — yes, even the grizzled veterans — were present through the voluntary portions of the spring workouts. This was a good head start that the Rams didn’t have last season (granted, they weren’t featuring new names at two positions) because they will need to build as much continuity as possible and develop an innate sense for how Stafford operates and communicates behind them.
Projected backups (in order, and not reflective of a 53-man cutdown): Joe Noteboom (LT), Chandler Brewer (LG), Brian Allen (C)/Coleman Shelton (C), Jamil Demby (RG)/Allen (RG), Tremayne Anchrum (RT)
I’m not a total downer — I do think that the Rams’ starting offensive line, on paper, has a ton of potential. But the big concern is a lack of trusted depth at a couple of positions, and particularly at center — where Allen spent the entirety of last season rehabilitating a serious leg injury (plus is more in the mold of the centers McVay and the Rams previously slated for the role, versus their new schematic direction), and Shelton has no meaningful experience.
When I advocated for the Rams to draft a center, that player certainly was unlikely to start in his first season (it’s a hard job!) — but could have been good depth, and an heir to the position should the Corbett experiment not work out.
2021 outlook: If this offensive line can stay healthy, there is a lot of upside here because of the general continuity between players (outside of the position change). But it all predicates on the invaluable reps Corbett gets with Stafford in training camp, when the Rams are actually practicing against guys in pads (and Aaron Donald arrives on the scene). The spotlight won’t just be on them in pass protection, either — the Rams’ offensive line was consistently solid in its run-blocking last season, and will welcome back second-year running back Cam Akers into the lead role.
Long-term outlook: Whitworth will turn 40 during the 2021 season, which is simply … remarkable. Even after the knee injury that sidelined him for eight games last season, there’s no reason to think that Whitworth’s excellent play will slip. But it bears repeating that he has an “out” in his contract after this season and has recently remarked on former Rams defensive end Chris Long’s “Green Light” podcast that this season could be his last (the caveat being that he’s felt that way for the past seven years or so, but kept playing).
“I was like, if I get through this, I want to try to play until 40,” Whitworth said while discussing a 2013 knee injury with Long. “And that was just like — I didn’t think that was realistic or that it’d ever happen. But I was like, I want to try to do that.
“So this year, to me, it feels like this is it. This is like, I’ve put everything into trying to play this season and play at the level I want to. I feel like this will probably be the end, but I mean, all my closest friends would tell you that I’ve said that for about seven straight years. So I don’t know how believable that is, but it feels like it is.”
The Rams could entrust Noteboom with taking over once the AW era begins (“After Whitworth”), but they face a bit of a complication there, too — he’s in the last year of his contract. If he’s slated for that role in the future, he and his agent have all of the leverage — and good left tackles are hard to draft with no first-round picks, or to find in free agency, as the Rams have known very well since the year they, well, signed Whitworth.

Tano

Legend
I think Blythe took the lower offer from KC because he didn't want his nickname to be THE MATADOR anymore.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
(Referring to the headline) ;

We're also counting on CONTINUED improvement from Edwards and Corbett, Havenstein maintaining his abilities, Bobby Evans improvement and Noteboom being able to step up.

Luckily, every one of them is a top notch professional at their position.

(And yes, that includes Corbett as a Center).

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I think Blythe took the lower offer from KC because he didn't want his nickname to be THE MATADOR anymore.
I know you're just having some fun here and all but could you imagine where we would have been last year if we didn't have Blythe to plug that hole as well as he did?

We would have been lucky to reach .500 and NO playoff games, including that classic against Seattle.

But I am a proponent of always replacing the weakest link in every offensive line during the off-season.

And we did.

dang

Legend
There’s one reason I can think of in taking the KC offer. He was told by KC that he would be vying for a chance at OC starter. The Rams probably let him know they were going in another direction for starting OC but he could vie for a roster spot.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I think there is one thing we're also forgetting that Blythe did;

He showed Austin Corbett how the Center position works and how to be a professional at it.

Cleveland was not aware of how a good Center is made from a Tackle.

You don't go from total outside player to total inside player in a training camp.

You need at least a year of work next to a good Center.

I think we did that.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
As good as Jourdan is she remains off course at Center. She needs to quit looking at PFF and thinking that Blythe was some sort of answer. And another thing she is missing still is that Blythe's one strength was the line calls. His value to this line was tied to Jared Goff, who was struggling with the responsibilities he had at the line. So there was no way the Rams were going to risk a guy like Corbett in there when they needed good calls. Otherwise Blythe would have been replaced already.

This is why they let Blythe walk during the offseason where they made the move at QB, and it's also why he was not desired at any sort of price point around the league. Unlike the press, the teams actually watch film and know what Blythe is.

In Detroit Goff has an outstanding center to help him out. And hopefully he'll get a good run game. But I don't want to make this about him we've been there done that. Point is that center was trained up by Stafford and has gone on the record re: Stafford's knowledge of the pre-snap reads and calls.

So Corbett's main requirement is going to be staying on his assignment and not being blown back like Blythe was in pass pro. And in the run game actually getting a fucking seal on occasion on an ILB when he goes second level. Doing those things will produce significant gains for this offense.

The single biggest concern, thus, with the line to my eye at least is Whit. If we do lose him we're probably effed, at least in terms of being a championship team. Boom in there will induce flaws snap to snap that sink us in the playoffs. And there is also the worry of how much help Whit will need vs some of the power ends on the sched, guys like Bosa who gave him fits two years ago.

Not trying to sound negative here. I still think this is a top ten-ish line. We're in that ten to low teens range in my view. So this is why the run game is going to be so important this year, because great balance can elevate a line by simply making a defense play both phases. I don't want to win 13 games with Stafford winging the fucking ball all over the joint and getting all the press hoopla then get our teeth kicked in during the playoffs. I want a balanced attack so I really hope that the run game is a huge point of emphasis.

Tano

Legend
I know you're just having some fun here and all but could you imagine where we would have been last year if we didn't have Blythe to plug that hole as well as he did?

We would have been lucky to reach .500 and NO playoff games, including that classic against Seattle.

But I am a proponent of always replacing the weakest link in every offensive line during the off-season.

And we did.
Oh I agree with you. I was just having some fun. Blythe was very good at line calls but everything else he did was either adequate to terrible.

We would have been so much better last year if Blythe could have held his blocks a split second longer on the 3rd and long plays.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Oh I agree with you. I was just having some fun. Blythe was very good at line calls but everything else he did was either adequate to terrible.

We would have been so much better last year if Blythe could have held his blocks a split second longer on the 3rd and long plays.

That's why IMO, Corbett will be an upgrade because he has the line calls down too. Only issue for Corbett will be the snaps in shotgun formation, Blythe was amazingly consistent with this snaps, if Corbett can match that, he should be a major upgrade at the point of attack.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
As good as Jourdan is she remains off course at Center. She needs to quit looking at PFF and thinking that Blythe was some sort of answer. And another thing she is missing still is that Blythe's one strength was the line calls. His value to this line was tied to Jared Goff, who was struggling with the responsibilities he had at the line. So there was no way the Rams were going to risk a guy like Corbett in there when they needed good calls. Otherwise Blythe would have been replaced already.

This is why they let Blythe walk during the offseason where they made the move at QB, and it's also why he was not desired at any sort of price point around the league. Unlike the press, the teams actually watch film and know what Blythe is.

In Detroit Goff has an outstanding center to help him out. And hopefully he'll get a good run game. But I don't want to make this about him we've been there done that. Point is that center was trained up by Stafford and has gone on the record re: Stafford's knowledge of the pre-snap reads and calls.

So Corbett's main requirement is going to be staying on his assignment and not being blown back like Blythe was in pass pro. And in the run game actually getting a fucking seal on occasion on an ILB when he goes second level. Doing those things will produce significant gains for this offense.

The single biggest concern, thus, with the line to my eye at least is Whit. If we do lose him we're probably effed, at least in terms of being a championship team. Boom in there will induce flaws snap to snap that sink us in the playoffs. And there is also the worry of how much help Whit will need vs some of the power ends on the sched, guys like Bosa who gave him fits two years ago.

Not trying to sound negative here. I still think this is a top ten-ish line. We're in that ten to low teens range in my view. So this is why the run game is going to be so important this year, because great balance can elevate a line by simply making a defense play both phases. I don't want to win 13 games with Stafford winging the fucking ball all over the joint and getting all the press hoopla then get our teeth kicked in during the playoffs. I want a balanced attack so I really hope that the run game is a huge point of emphasis.
The Rams downward spin last year coincided with Whitworth going out. Although he came back in the playoffs, he was certainly not 100%. We need him on the field to make a championship run.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Rams downward spin last year coincided with Whitworth going out. Although he came back in the playoffs, he was certainly not 100%. We need him on the field to make a championship run.

Actually I thought from a pass protection standpoint, Noteboom filled in well, but you're right on point with Whitworth in, the running game was just better.

Ram65

Legend
The Rams young linemen all have another valuable year of NFL experience, strength, and conditioning training. Corbett, Evans and Edwards are simply getting stronger and better as they mature. The same can be said about the backups. The fact that McVay has added a more physical downhill power blocking scheme with the zone blocking works with these big maturing linemen. Cam Akers one cut power running style fits perfectly with the blocking scheme. I expect Corbett and Evans to make pretty smooth transitions. Quality depth at the offensive line in the NFL is always difficult. The Rams should be able to handle some short-term injuries. it's always hard to overcome long-term injuries to star players. They are in a much better position to do so than in the recent past.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
#1- Coach Carberry better have one serious Noteboom/Whitworth combination plan already completed & ready for operation. Having both those LT's healthy & fresh working instep together to make that Ol post stronger & better throughout this extra-long season & well into the playoffs. Repeating with the Kromer plan with a far way past his prime LT getting all the snaps on offense will result in a major slow down for the Ram offense.

#2- Noteboom finally needs to get a full Training Camp & Preseason @ the LT post nothing else! No more OG assignments like the 2019 & 2020 seasons. This is something that was never done by Kromer since Noteboom was drafted. The results are now burned in negative Ram history.

#3- Corbett's transition from outside LT to LG to RG & now to center just seems right to me. A solid foundation with 2 seasons as an interior starter should bring excellent results for this 25 yr old OL'er.

#4- Two very large tall Wisconsin products Havenstein/Edwards are entrenched now & have shown they can be very productive with still areas to improve on. No reason to expect any production turndown here.

#5- The only real big question is @ RG with Bobby Evans. Evans played his best season @ Oklahoma on the right but he has never played RG before! If Evans does not make a solid sound showing Carberry has a boatload of excellent talented other OL'ers that could be the answer in Chandler Brewer, Tremayne Anchrum, Alaric Jackson, Coleman Shelton, Brian Allen, Jamil Demby & Jordan Meredith. Evans has some very serious competition to deal with.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
#1- Coach Carberry better have one serious Noteboom/Whitworth combination plan already completed & ready for operation. Having both those LT's healthy & fresh working instep together to make that Ol post stronger & better throughout this extra-long season & well into the playoffs. Repeating with the Kromer plan with a far way past his prime LT getting all the snaps on offense will result in a major slow down for the Ram offense.
It's kind of incredible to think about how McVay fired his established and respected OL coach when he's got a roster that expects to compete deep in the playoffs. Enormous risk there with that move. I'd love to hear that conversation between the two of them, too, in order to know what the point of contention was. I suspect it had to do with some favoritism in his starter decisions, since I think some of them were downright stupid, and I also think this is something that didn't get a lot of play given how crucial it was as a move for a team that is where the Rams are.

Looking at Carberry there's a lot of room for this to blow up in his face. But it does seem like KC brings youth and energy to the staff, as well as a detailed approach. Here's an excerpt from an interview with A.T. Hall a couple years ago about his coach:

"New Offensive Line Coach Kevin Carberry has made a big impact on the Cardinal in advance of his first regular season staff, and Hall hit some similar notes in appraising his new position coach. “He's got a lot of energy. He's always honest about the slightest details that sometimes you forget about once bigger scheme things come into play and you have to pick up more blitzes and whatnot but he's always harping on the smallest details because those are what help you accomplish the good blocks and make the big plays. The little things with your feet and your hands. The scheme stuff will come eventually. I feel like that's one of the biggest things he brings to the table with this team is the knowledge he has.”

Much has been made of “finishing” as a theme in 2018 coming off a year in which the Cardinal lost four of five games by three points or less. That manifests on the offensive line as “holding that block for just one second longer, all you need is the one extra second, that one extra strain to get the running back to cut off your butt and make a big play,” Hall says. “Or to hold the defensive end just a little bit longer so KJ has time to make that throw and feels more comfortable. Little things like that. You can never give up on the play because it's never actually over until it's over.”

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I agree and that is why I do not have faith that Noteboom is the long term answer at LT. He is a good low-cost backup that knows the system and can hold up in the passing game to keep the QB healthy but IOMO he is not stout enough or nowhere near the elite level to command the big payday that most starting LT's demand. I defeintley have not see enough to think he can be the anchor the line for the next 5-10 years, which is what you generally expect from your Left tackles. I do think Whitworth probably retires after this seaon and the Rams dip in to the Free Agent market for thier left tackle of the future in 2022. If anything, the trades of Goff, Peters, and Cooks along with the release of Gurley tells me that McVay/Snead will not be satisfied with good to mediocre level play form one of the cornerstone positions like left tackle espcially if Noteboom demands to be paid anywhere near the top tier money of the LT market.