Rams Playoff Hopes Hinge Heavily on 3 Words (101 ESPN)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ShaneG

Starter
Shane Gray provides special Rams commentaries on 101sports.com. Follow him on Twitter @ShaneGmoSTLRams.

Do the St. Louis Rams possess realistic aspirations of returning to the NFL playoffs for the first time since 2004 – a year in which the receiving corps was still led by Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt and when running back Steven Jackson was just a wide-eyed rookie reserve – or are they still perhaps a year away from making their long-anticipated trip back to the postseason party?

The answer to the above is actually a simpler one than it might appear on the surface.

(Truly hope everyone enjoys the full piece at 101sports.com via link below. Thank you)

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101sports.com/2013/06/20/ram" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101sports.com/2013/06/20/ram</a> ... ree-words/

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yes, when boiling everything down, St. Louis’ playoff hopes will primarily ride or die with an offense that – while offering the promise of being considerably more explosive than any seen since the finality of the Greatest Show on Turf days – is faced with overcoming considerable youth and inexperience in an effort to be consistent enough to help the team quality for postseason play.

I hope I'm wrong but I'm already on record saying that the youth and schedule is going to keep the Rams out of the playoffs this year.

But it'll be the last time for a lot of years.

I also agree with this about Bradford. It's time for that big jump.

In 2010, the Rams took him No. 1 overall with expectations that he would eventually be the face of the franchise, that he would one day orchestrate a steady, highly productive offense and that he would lead the club into a highly successful era. It is time for him to do just that.

wsaladen

Rookie
I agree it is time for him to do that. Especially with his knew cast coupled with the returners.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
LesBaker said:

In 2010, the Rams took him No. 1 overall with expectations that he would eventually be the face of the franchise, that he would one day orchestrate a steady, highly productive offense and that he would lead the club into a highly successful era. It is time for him to do just that.
I agree too, and I'm not trying to belabor this point, but I kinda have to.

In 2010 he was a rookie, with a supporting cast that saw him lose most of his receivers. He won OROY and set all kinds of rookie QB records. That was what most consider an average to above-average season even without an average supporting cast. We can all agree on that, I think.

In 2011 he was screwed as a 2nd year player. New system, new receivers, no OTAs, numerous, numerous injuries along the O-line and receivers who had NO CLUE what they were doing out there. Even the veteran they brought in (Sims-Walker) was cut mid-season because of how freaking lost he was. One receiver knew what he was doing (Lloyd), and that's because he was familiar with the system. Then Bradford fell apart behind a bad O-line and missed half the season. Bad time to try and make a "jump", wouldn't you say?

2012 - Again ... new system, new players, and a bad O-line to start the season. Bad start, good finish. 4 times as many 4th quarter comebacks as in his first two seasons combined. Last year was his jump that people were looking for. His improvement was commensurate with the improvement of the skill position players around him. But still, the only good receiver he had was Givens (a rookie) and maybe a case can be made for Gibson. Amendola (again) missed over a third of the season. And yet - all of his stats improved even with all of that youth and inexperience around him.

This SHOULD be the year that he makes that big jump. All the stars are aligned. Now all he needs is a little help in the luck and health department. Something all QBs benefit from every year. Everything else should fall into place if he can just get that.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Realistic analysis Shane. Good job as usual.

The one thing that you didn't mention that I think is of critical importance is our lack of depth in some key areas. I'm thinking O-line, Safety, LB, WR and CB. A rash of injuries could really set us back. Barring that, I see good things ahead for us this year and even more improvement in 2014.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
X said:
LesBaker said:

In 2010 he was a rookie, with a supporting cast that saw him lose most of his receivers. He won OROY and set all kinds of rookie QB records. That was what most consider an average to above-average season even without an average supporting cast. We can all agree on that, I think.

In 2011 he was screwed as a 2nd year player. New system, new receivers, no OTAs, numerous, numerous injuries along the O-line and receivers who had NO CLUE what they were doing out there. Even the veteran they brought in (Sims-Walker) was cut mid-season because of how freaking lost he was. One receiver knew what he was doing (Lloyd), and that's because he was familiar with the system. Then Bradford fell apart behind a bad O-line and missed half the season. Bad time to try and make a "jump", wouldn't you say?

2012 - Again ... new system, new players, and a bad O-line to start the season. Bad start, good finish. 4 times as many 4th quarter comebacks as in his first two seasons combined. Last year was his jump that people were looking for. His improvement was commensurate with the improvement of the skill position players around him. But still, the only good receiver he had was Givens (a rookie) and maybe a case can be made for Gibson. Amendola (again) missed over a third of the season. And yet - all of his stats improved even with all of that youth and inexperience around him.

This SHOULD be the year that he makes that big jump. All the stars are aligned. Now all he needs is a little help in the luck and health department. Something all QBs benefit from every year. Everything else should fall into place if he can just get that.

Well I don't think you are belaboring it and it's perfectly fair to have expectations.

He better meet 'em too LOL.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
That was a good read.

In general I find it frustrating how much emphasis is put on the on quarterback, but that's the nature of this position. And this quote;

it will be important that he [Bradford] aids his guys in making adjustments when he sees them struggling. It will be vital that he provide leadership and encouragement when required. It will be critical that he give out tough love when needed. And it will be paramount that he is an unswerving source and portrait of poise for the youngsters around him who could be prone to getting too down, too up or losing their way from time to time.

^ right on the mark!

ShaneG

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
LesBaker said:
Yes, when boiling everything down, St. Louis’ playoff hopes will primarily ride or die with an offense that – while offering the promise of being considerably more explosive than any seen since the finality of the Greatest Show on Turf days – is faced with overcoming considerable youth and inexperience in an effort to be consistent enough to help the team quality for postseason play.

I hope I'm wrong but I'm already on record saying that the youth and schedule is going to keep the Rams out of the playoffs this year.

But it'll be the last time for a lot of years.

I am more concerned with the youth/inexperience than the schedule. And we never truly know what a schedule holds until the season gets going (teams rising/falling/injuries etc). Going to be very interesting to see how long it takes the offense to mesh. I, like many others, realistically expect some bumps in the road offensively.. this offense is too young for that not too occur at times. How often? That's going to be critical.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
ShaneG said:
Shane Gray provides special Rams commentaries on 101sports.com. Follow him on Twitter @ShaneGmoSTLRams.

Do the St. Louis Rams possess realistic aspirations of returning to the NFL playoffs for the first time since 2004 – a year in which the receiving corps was still led by Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt and when running back Steven Jackson was just a wide-eyed rookie reserve – or are they still perhaps a year away from making their long-anticipated trip back to the postseason party?

The answer to the above is actually a simpler one than it might appear on the surface.

(Truly hope everyone enjoys the full piece at 101sports.com via link below. Thank you)

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101sports.com/2013/06/20/ram" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101sports.com/2013/06/20/ram</a> ... ree-words/

Good article Shane.
And I think a thoughtful and very fair analysis as well.

We are an extremely young team in general, but the offensive youth, especially at wide receiver, is almost extraordinary.

However, I agree with the bottom line on your article Shane. For the Rams to make that final jump into the playoffs, they need consistent offensive point production.

Nice job.

RamzFanz

Damnit
X said:

I'm with ya bro. I'm picking up what you're laying down.

Anyone who analyzes his performance from college freshman until now would have to conclude the potential for a killer season for SB is there and it's reasonable to assume it will happen.

What I want to see that I think will take him to the top 5:

1) Hurry up offense as the norm. Sam can do it and you add this to TFSOT (The Fastest Show On Turf), it WILL devastate D's. GO, GO, GO. A slow Rams O is a cover-able Rams O.

2) Sam encouraged to call and change plays on the line. Some of the play calling last season SUCKED especially in the red zone. Let him fix the calls based on what he sees.

3) Two TE sets, often.

4) A willingness to go longer, often, even on 3rd down. S T R E T C H the field and great things can happen long and, more importantly, underneath with Tavon Austin. Throw short all day and TA is crowded all day and gets hurt.

5) Teach the man how to make a manly face when passing. I mean, seriously.

Where am I wrong?

(BTW, great article Shane)

ShaneG

Starter
X said:
LesBaker said:

Great analysis, X!

I expect Bradford to again be improved in 2013. He made some nice gains last fall.

In saying that, his surrounding cast will be very young so I still think his pinnacle years will likely come in 2014 and beyond. There will be such inexperience around him that there may be some rough patches that are almost impossible to avoid.

Then again, he has more talent than at any time since he arrived in St. Louis, he's in the same system for a second straight year and his talent level around him is the best he's been afforded yet. In addition to all of that, it's now his fourth year. There will be challenges, but it's time to make a way. It's hard to have everything line up perfectly, after all.

ShaneG

Starter
albefree69 said:
Realistic analysis Shane. Good job as usual.

The one thing that you didn't mention that I think is of critical importance is our lack of depth in some key areas. I'm thinking O-line, Safety, LB, WR and CB. A rash of injuries could really set us back. Barring that, I see good things ahead for us this year and even more improvement in 2014.

Thank you my friend. I always appreciate that very much.

I would agree that depth is either suspect and/or thin at safety and corner. The linebacker depth might be a little better than we think. At WR, the Rams have five guys there they really like so there is really only room for one other guy there to potentially be added. Of course, one add can make a big difference.

I would disagree slightly re: the O-line. It seems the Rams like their depth pretty well there and I do, too.

ShaneG

Starter
Rambitious1 said:
ShaneG said:

Good article Shane.
And I think a thoughtful and very fair analysis as well.

We are an extremely young team in general, but the offensive youth, especially at wide receiver, is almost extraordinary.

However, I agree with the bottom line on your article Shane. For the Rams to make that final jump into the playoffs, they need consistent offensive point production.

Nice job.

Thank you Rambitious1 ... Really appreciate it.

Extraordinarily youthful indeed, especially at skill positions.... its the wild card for this team. Going to be interesting to see how it plays out for sure.

ShaneG

Starter
RamzFanz said:
X said:

I'm with ya bro. I'm picking up what you're laying down.

Anyone who analyzes his performance from college freshman until now would have to conclude the potential for a killer season for SB is there and it's reasonable to assume it will happen.

What I want to see that I think will take him to the top 5:

1) Hurry up offense as the norm. Sam can do it and you add this to TFSOT (The Fastest Show On Turf), it WILL devastate D's. GO, GO, GO. A slow Rams O is a cover-able Rams O.

2) Sam encouraged to call and change plays on the line. Some of the play calling last season SUCKED especially in the red zone. Let him fix the calls based on what he sees.

3) Two TE sets, often.

4) A willingness to go longer, often, even on 3rd down. S T R E T C H the field and great things can happen long and, more importantly, underneath with Tavon Austin. Throw short all day and TA is crowded all day and gets hurt.

5) Teach the man how to make a manly face when passing. I mean, seriously.

Where am I wrong?

(BTW, great article Shane)

1: big key... he has seemed to always love the hurry up going back to his college days.

2: By year 4, he should be ready and able to do so.

3: I believe we will see this some, of course, just not certain as to how much yet.

4: Yes, we saw a great example of that with Amendola, especially in 2010. Yes, Sam would hit him but the defense was collapsing around him due to the lack of a deep threat. If Rams can stretch the field -- and they should be able to with Givens outside and Cook down the seam -- it will open up a multitude of options underneath and allow Austin to optimize his talents and show why St. Louis moved up to 8 to grab him.

5: Well.... LOL... :)