Rams Players Who could be Released after 2017 "Cap Hits"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
After looking at the bigger contracts that will be on the books in 2018, these were the players that have the highest probability of being cut after the 2017 Season should they not perform up to expectations.

If these particular players with high cap numbers in 2018 don't play to the level of the their contract numbers, they are prime targets to possibly be released and replaced by other players via 2018 Free Agency period or the 2018 Draft.

Hypothetically we have to consider that some of the selections in the upcoming 2017 draft could be in play as replacements for the below listed players depending on how the draft goes and if some of the rookies selected end up having decent rookie seasons that play similar positions etc.

DEFENSE

DE ROBERT QUINN- If he's cut after the 2017 season due to a sub-par performance or misc reasons...

(2018 Total cap savings with his dead cap hit penalty of $955,354 is a Total savings of 11.4 million)

LB MARK BARRON- If he's cut after the 2017 season due to a sub-par performance or misc reasons...

(2018 total cap savings combined with his dead cap hit penalty of 3 is a Total savings of 7 million)

CB KAYVON WEBSTER- If he's cut after the 2017 season due to a sub-par performance or misc reasons...

(2018 Total cap savings with his dead cap hit penalty of $500,000 is a Total savings of 3.2 million)

LB BRYCE HAGER- If he's cut after the 2017 season due to a sub-par performance or misc reasons...

(2018 Total cap savings with his dead cap hit penalty of $18,035 is a Total savings of $705,000)

OFFENSE

OL RODGER SAFFOLD- If he's cut after the 2017 season due to a sub-par performance or misc reasons...
(2018 Total cap savings with his dead cap hit penalty of 1 million is a Total savings of 6.5 million)

WR TAVON AUSTIN- If he's cut after the 2017 season due to a sub-par performance or misc reasons...

(2018 total cap savings with his dead cap hit penalty of 5 million is ONLY a Total savings of 3 million)

I was wrong before thinking that Tavon could be released after 2017 with a minimal cap penalty.
(5 million dollar dead cap penalty in 2018 is a decent chunk)

If Tavon is released after the 2018 season his dead cap hit penalty is $0 dollars so the Rams might keep him around in 2018 even if he has similar stats like he did in 2016

TE CORY HARKEY- If he's cut after the 2017 season due to a sub-par performance or misc reasons...

(2018 total cap savings with his dead cap hit penalty of $0 dollars is a Total savings of 1.9 million)

K GREG ZUERLEIN- If he's cut after the 2017 season due to a sub-par performance or misc reasons...

(2018 total cap savings with his dead cap hit penalty of $750,000 is a Total savings of 1.8 million)

Side Note: Player Status should play a part in the 2017 Draft and post draft/phase 3 of Free Agency and UDFA's

DT Aaron Donald- $due to break the bank soon$
DL Dominique Easley- is a UFA after 2017 unless he agrees to a contract extension
LB Alec Ogletree- UFA after 2017 but this season could warrant an extension should he start out on fire

CB Trumaine Johnson- UFA after 2017 unless he agrees to a contract extension
CB Nickell Robey-Coleman contract status N/A could be UFA after the 2017 season (Rams need CB depth for 2018)

SS Maurice Alexander- UFA after 2017 unless he agrees to a contract extension
FS LaMarcus Joyner- UFA after 2017 unless he agrees to a contract extension (Rams need Safety depth for 2018)

OL Greg Robinson- not expected to have his 2018 5th year option exercised-make or break season for his future
C John Sullivan- contract Status N/A could be UFA after the 2017 season (Rams need Center depth for 2018)

RB Lance Dunbar- UFA after 2017 unless he agrees to a contract extension
RB Malcolm Brown- UFA after 2017 unless he agrees to a contract extension (Rams need RB depth for 2018)

futurefocus.jpg
Think-Ahead.jpg

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Not a helluva lot to disagree with there, Florida.

As an aside, by now, in what kind of a sane world would we see Tavon extended, but not Ogletree?

Let that sink in for just a minute, y'all.

Hint: Not a trick question. Lol.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Of the higher priced guys, I think Saffold, Austin & Barron are at extreme risk as CAP Casualty cuts. Add Quinn if his health problems are deemed chronic. Ogletree is also not untouchable as he is scheduled for free agency next season. Of course, we all know about the TruJo situation, if he sticks this season he'll become a free agent next year. And then there is the Greg Robinson mess, another potential free agent with much to prove. The second tier guys are all at risk imo, McVay & Phillips will use this season to evaluate and determine who may or may not be the best fit for their scheme going forward. I predict almost as much turnover next year as we'll see this season. The Rams could end up with a huge amount of available CAP if several of these guys leave, but we will be losing players who were once thought of as long-term Rams under previous management.
The only truly 'safe' players may be Goff, Gurley, Woods, Whitworth, Havenstein, Higbee, Donald, Brockers & Hekker. jmo

Last edited:

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Great read.

I really hope we keep Quinn, the guy can flat out play. I think he suffered a little in GW's scheme because of injuries and not using him to his strengths. This year will tell us a lot about how flexible some guys are now that we're switching to a hybrid 3-4 Defense.

Ram65

Legend
ZUERLEIN just resigned as WEBSTER just signed a new deal. They coulf save money on other but it laye to do much with the money.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
There should be a high turnover rate as new players are brought in to fit the McVay/Phillips scheme. Don't get too attached.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
.........I really hope we keep Quinn, the guy can flat out play.
The last time I saw Robert Quinn play great football was over two years ago during the 2014 season .That back surgery may have left him limited from that point on. I look @ Rob Quinn return to past all pro form questionable at best. We will have to wait till September to begin to see whats really going on with him.

Last season Quinn was only able to finish 7 games & only 6 games in 2015. If Quinn is close to what he was back in 2014 then Wade's new 34 D will dominate the NFC West!

Last edited:

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not a helluva lot to disagree with there, Florida.

As an aside, by now, in what kind of a sane world would we see Tavon extended, but not Ogletree?

Let that sink in for just a minute, y'all.

Hint: Not a trick question. Lol.

That is a big head shaker 43.... Demoff & company went all in with Tavon & Barron (which I'm a big fan of both) but those were signed contract offers that usually have a history of the player/s having more than one break-out stud years etc.

Oh well... Barron has to earn his keep to stick around in 2018 but Tavon's contract/parameters probably means he's going to be around until the 2018 season unless he just implodes and has his worst season ever in 2017.

I have to give props to Demoff because his job is normally to defer to (the coaching staff and team roster scouts when player contracts come up for extensions and what their value is etc) and yet he's accountable to be one step ahead looking to the future player contract extensions/salary cap room is not as easy as it appears to be from us armchair fans.

It's a complicated business to project and estimate the value of players when you look at the big picture and guessing the future of their success etc..

23342370022_9407946ff2_z.jpg

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
In misread the OP from my phone. I thought they were saying before this season.

Lot's of money on the table that the Rams may not get a big enough return on the football field. Tavon's big money comes this year so he would have to really mess up. Saffold has been a question mark with health and production yet still could have value at a lesser amount. Don't know how Phillip's sees Barron. Hope Quinn is healthy because if he isn't the Rams lose a game changer. I guess we will have to see how they play. Lot's of contracts coming up so that will be a big consideration. It's hard to know until we see the future till we see them play in the new systems. We could be surprised.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Though a lot of those players might not be in a "contract year" per se, they all need to step it up or look to be replaced.

I think bigger and Sneed are both of the position will that make some tough decisions that are TEAM DECISIONS instead of those head-scratchers Fisher was making.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
That is a big head shaker 43.... Demoff & company went all in with Tavon & Barron (which I'm a big fan of both) but those were signed contract offers that usually have a history of the player/s having more than one break-out stud years etc.

Oh well... Barron has to earn his keep to stick around in 2018 but Tavon's contract/parameters probably means he's going to be around until the 2018 season unless he just implodes and has his worst season ever in 2017.

I have to give props to Demoff because his job is normally to defer to (the coaching staff and team roster scouts when player contracts come up for extensions and what their value is etc) and yet he's accountable to be one step ahead looking to the future player contract extensions/salary cap room is not as easy as it appears to be from us armchair fans.

It's a complicated business to project and estimate the value of players when you look at the big picture and guessing the future of their success etc..

23342370022_9407946ff2_z.jpg

If it means anything to you....I have great faith in Mark Barron & believe he has some real special football skills. He should be the least of any concerns for any Ram fan....@ SS or WOLB'er or ISLB'er & he has yet to hit his stride.I would not be surprised if Wade turns him loose & he ends up with unbelievable stats when this season is over in addition Mark ends up in the with many accommodations. Barron's contract will look like a bargain & Demoff a genius.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Players who could be released after 2017 season;

Any player that doesn't perform with 100 percent effort.