Rams players reportedly upset with Brian Schottenheimer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Rams players reportedly unhappy with OC Brian Scottenheimer

By Ryan Van Bibber

20140617_jla_ac1_465.jpg.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Jeff Curry-USA TODAY Sports

There appears to be some unrest among the players with how the offensive plays are being called as well as the man who is calling them.

By now, we're no strangers to criticism of St. Louis Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. His work with the team and his playbook have still left the team struggling for answers about how to score points on a consistent basis, for two seasons and two games into a third.

It sounds like the Rams players are getting frustrated with Schottenheimer too.

Here's Andy Strickland from InsideSTL discussing some players who shared their thoughts about Schottenheimer with him during a Friday radio appearance.

I ran into a couple Rams players last night at a party, and I'm not going to say who they were. There is a lot of criticism being thrown around of the offensive coordinator, Brian Schottenheimer. What these guys kept telling me was he has a real lack of ability of getting the ball in his playmakers' hands in a situation where they can have success. We've talked about it before ... Tavon Austin, handing the ball off to him, running straight up the A gap, that's not going to do it.

It's making me wonder internally how frustrated these players are, how much criticism they deserve versus Brian Scottenheimer. I asked these guys 'what about all the checkdowns we see all the time from Sam Bradford in the past and we're still seeing it right now?' That's the way these guys are coached, and it frustrates the wide receivers because they almost don't have time to complete their route ...

A lot of this does come down to coaching.

(Full audio is here. It starts around the 4:19 mark).

Make of that what you will. By the end of Schottenheimer's time with the Jets, it's been said that not many of his players were very fond of his approach. He was let go by the Jets, only to be picked up by Jeff Fisher in 2012 to be the Rams OC.

We've yet to see a lot of offensive players turn their talent into more consistent results on the field. Brian Quick seems to have turned a corner in early results, but we're still waiting for Tavon Austin, the eighth overall pick in last year's draft, to produce at a level on par with his draft status. That's pretty inexcusable, but it mirrors what we're seeing on defense with the linebackers and defensive backs.

The Rams have 14 more games left in their season. There's time for Schottenheimer to salvage something from this offense. But if the present trends hold, will Fisher think about firing his OC while he has a chance to make a clean break?

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2014/9/21/6755403/rams-players-reportedly-unhappy-with-brian-scottenheimer

Last edited:

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not saying it isn't true...just makes me very skeptical trying to picture unidentified rams players at a party last night venting about shotty..

…..

Legend
Not saying it isn't true...just makes me very skeptical trying to picture unidentified rams players at a party last night venting about shotty..

True, except that almost everyone in this forum feels the same way, so validity seems more plausible when your own gut leans that direction.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Maybe if they were asked about him. I just figured it was worth posting.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It wasn't a Rams player, it was me. I was wearing a Brockers jersey and fooled the reporter.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff

NJ, he didn't mean last night before a game I hope.. ? I think it was prolly during this past week sometime. Not sure when the segment was done.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe if they were asked about him. I just figured it was worth posting.
I didn't mean to direct that at you as if you shouldn't have posted it. Just saying I am naturally very skeptical with articles like this one. Definitely worth posting though bro..

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not big on unnamed sources especially when they seem to be blowing off steam at an informal place(if we are to assume they are real). I appreciate you posting it, though. I'm sure some will find it more alarming than I do.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
NJ, he didn't mean last night before a game I hope.. ? I think it was prolly during this past week sometime. Not sure when the segment was done.
To me it reads as if it were in the past week or so. I was more addressing the credibility of a guy using unnamed sources at a party venting about schotty. Seems a little odd to me that Rams players go out to a party and end up venting to some guy about their OC lol.. could be wrong that was just my first reaction

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
lol, speculation based from vague answers from "unnamed" players...at a party?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think Schotty called a pretty good game last week. All things being equal, I expect him to improve week to week! I too don't trust articles with "Un-named sources"

jjab360

Legend
If it is true, I doubt this happened after last week's game, more likely after the Minnesota game.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Sounds like Veltung was just letting off some steam
Could be PS players too so .... I just think if players DO have a problem like this, it should be brought up internally and not "leaked" at parties. If it's true and JF finds out who is involved .... bye bye

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I've seen this and been talking about this for the last two years. NFL play calling is not rocket science. You watch the Rams offense then watch nearly any other team in the league's offense and it is obviously the Rams offensive play calling is not up to par. It becomes even more obvious after watching what Atlanta did to Tampa Bay. Yah there were turnovers but that was on both sides. It really help to have blockers it front of the guy with the ball and Shottenheimer seems incapable of getting even that basic premise down. The quicker he is replaced the quicker the Rams offense will begin to play up to the players abilities.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I read this to mean the Divas that some wrs. and playmakers are blame everyone else when they don't get the ball,if it's not a total fabrication.

If it's true ,then no one should be happy cuz this shit builds divides locker rooms and this is the only season we have ,we got enough trouble as is.

BTW I don't know that most people here agree with the assessment there are quite a few people here who think execution is the problem,me among them,I hope it wasn't TA carping because Patterson had such a great game against us and he thinks he's better than CP .

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Andy Strickland is a St. Louis Blues reporter whose credibility has been questioned before, and that was with the sport that he actually knows a little about.

Could not care less about this.