Rams players pick up on the new vibe of coach Sean McVay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zero

Pro Bowler
http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-s ... story.html

Rams players pick up on the new vibe of coach Sean McVay

Gary Klein

Quarterback Jared Goff described it as “freshness.”

Linebacker Alec Ogletree spoke of “a whole different culture,” while running back Todd Gurley honed in on new coach Sean McVay’s energy and “swagger.”

Those were initial player impressions Monday after the Rams met as a team for the first time since McVay, 31, became the youngest coach in modern NFL history.

As the Rams began their offseason program, McVay, Goff and others at the team’s Cal Lutheran facility sported blue T-shirts emblazoned with a blue and white-horned Rams logo on the front and “WE not ME” written on the back.

The start of the program, which runs through mid-June, was “a long time coming,” McVay said.

“There was full attention, guys were locked in, they were engaged, they were ready to go,” he said of the team meeting, adding, “It was definitely, exactly the way that we wanted to come off as a coaching staff.”

It will take more than slogans, T-shirts and attentiveness in meetings to turn around a franchise that has not made the playoffs since 2004.

But after last season’s dismal 4-12 finish, the Rams are embracing the start of the post-Jeff Fisher era.

McVay might be young, Ogletree said, but the coach who served as the Washington Redskins’ offensive coordinator the last three seasons looked and sounded experienced.

“He definitely seems like a guy that’s been around awhile,” said Ogletree, 25. “You can gravitate toward a guy like that because he’s young, energetic, and you can definitely tell he has a lot of wisdom about him.”

McVay and his staff face a major challenge, especially on offense.

The Rams have ranked last in the NFL in each of the last two seasons. On the positive side, there is nowhere to go but up.

How much the Rams improve will depend in large part on the development of Goff, the No. 1 pick in the 2016 draft.

McVay has said that he, offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur and quarterbacks coach Greg Olson have worked to make sure they will provide Goff with a consistent message.

Goff, 22, said he was ready to get started. The Rams, he intimated, are not far from turning around their fortunes.

“I think we’re a lot closer to where we want to be than people may think,” he said.

Goff, winless last season in seven starts, worked this offseason in Newport Beach with quarterback trainers Tom House and Justin Dedeaux. The duo has tutored Tom Brady, Matt Ryan and other NFL passers.

Goff did not identify any particular mechanical adjustments that were made but said he was enlightened.

“Now you know when you do make a bad throw ... you know why,” he said. “It’s not just, ‘Oh, that was a bad one,’ and move on. You know why and how to fix it.”

Goff will attempt to assert himself on a team that has gone through numerous personnel changes.

Nine players who played prominent roles last season — quarterback Case Keenum, receivers Kenny Britt and Brian Quick, running back Benny Cunningham, tight end Lance Kendricks, center Tim Barnes, defensive ends William Hayes and Eugene Sims and safety T.J. McDonald — were either traded, released or allowed to pursue free-agent opportunities.

The Rams added eight players who are expected to contribute immediately: receiver Robert Woods, offensive tackle Andrew Whitworth, center John Sullivan, running back Lance Dunbar, defensive lineman Tyrunn Walker, linebacker Connor Barwin and cornerbacks Kayvon Webster and Nickell Robey-Coleman.

With a year of experience, Goff said he was now comfortable in everything from knowing teammates to knowing his way around the facility.

“Comfortability,” he said, “you can’t overstate it. It’s really important, as for the quarterback position, and leadership overall.”

Notes

The Rams’ exhibition schedule includes home games against the Dallas Cowboys and the Chargers and road games against the Oakland Raiders and Green Bay Packers. The Aug. 26 game against the Chargers at the Coliseum will kick off at 5 p.m. and be televised nationally by CBS. Dates for the other games are to be determined. The Rams are playing the Cowboys in a preseason opener for the second year in a row. They also will play the Cowboys at AT&T Stadium during the regular season. In Week 2 of the preseason, the Rams will visit the Raiders, who last month received permission from the NFL to move to Las Vegas in a few seasons. The Chargers, who are playing home games at the StubHub Center until they will move into Stan Kroenke’s new Inglewood stadium in 2019, will visit the Coliseum in Week 3. Last year, the Rams traveled to Minnesota’s new stadium for their final preseason game. This year, they travel to Green Bay’s legendary Lambeau Field. ... Defensive lineman Ethan Westbrooks signed a restricted free-agent tender. The Rams waived receiver Stedman Bailey and retained exclusive rights to defensive linemen Matt Longacre and Louis Trinca-Pasat.

Zero

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes I know a it's a rehash,but I can't get enough of reading
these phrases.
“freshness.”
“a whole different culture,”
energy and “swagger.”

Makes me giddy.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
I thought Hard Knocks was a big distraction last year, and came at a terrible time for a team going through such a huge transition. But it would be great to see the contrast between last season and this season. I'd much rather have seen the team up close and personal THIS season rather than last.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Goff did not identify any particular mechanical adjustments that were made but said he was enlightened.

“Now you know when you do make a bad throw ... you know why,” he said. “It’s not just, ‘Oh, that was a bad one,’ and move on. You know why and how to fix it.”
Yikes.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Gary Klein Wrote said:

Well, I'm glad Goff discovered another word that in itself shows me growth!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Whenever there is a new coaching staff we get giddy about all the changes. We see all the things that are done differently from the previous regime. All these nice articles about the new guy are great. But we've all been through that too many times. For now this is all we have, but they need to start winning to convince me. We'll have to wait a few months for that. If you want to win make your QB great. Nothing masks deficiencies elsewhere better than a great quarterback.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Yes I know a it's a rehash,but I can't get enough of reading
these phrases.
“freshness.”
“a whole different culture,”
energy and “swagger.”

Makes me giddy.
I hope everyone feels the same way come, say. Week #10 of the Regular Season!!(y);)

jap

Legend

Enlightened? We want more than enlightenment. We wanna see Jared transformed & transfigured and standing at the right hand of the Son of Man, Who informs him,

"verily, verily, I say unto thee: you have been anointed as the savior of the Horns. Go forth and fill the NFL with your glory!"

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Whenever there is a new coaching staff we get giddy about all the changes. We see all the things that are done differently from the previous regime. All these nice articles about the new guy are great. But we've all been through that too many times. For now this is all we have, but they need to start winning to convince me. We'll have to wait a few months for that. If you want to win make your QB great. Nothing masks deficiencies elsewhere better than a great quarterback.

Fair - but name all The Rams OC's after Lineman . Olsen is the QB coach , not an OC. Then add all his experience since he has been away.

--Wade has had the # pass defense the last 2 seasons. I'll put The Rams Defensive Front against any in The NFL.

The Rams still have the draft to add the finishing touches , so until then I'll wait to get excited. Todd Gurley really disappointed me last season. He seemed to loss his vision.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Apparently the off-season vocabulary lessons went swimmingly.

I believe the vocabulary lessons will behoove him for not only the present, but when he becomes an octogenarian with troglodyte ideologies.

Zero

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hope everyone feels the same way come, say. Week #10 of the Regular Season!!(y);)
Great point Dave.
I doubt everyone will feel the same.But for me,we have the right people
leading our team.
With the prior regime,you knew there was no hope,
there would be no adjusting.There would be no hiring of a competent
OC.Just a continuing 'Well it didn't work the last time we tried it,so let's
try the same thing again." mentality.There was nothing for a fan to grab
hold to,and say we are heading somewhere.

The staff we have in place now,will adapt when necessary.There will be
a competent OC,DC and a supporting staff that have proven they are
more than capable of getting the job done.So for me,at 10 weeks,
if we are behind the 8 ball as far as record is concerned.I will still
be happy,because I know we are far removed from the incompetence
of the previous regime and that Our Rams are heading in the right direction.
GO RAMS!!

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
Great point Dave.
I doubt everyone will feel the same.But for me,we have the right people
leading our team.
With the prior regime,you knew there was no hope,
there would be no adjusting.There would be no hiring of a competent
OC.Just a continuing 'Well it didn't work the last time we tried it,so let's
try the same thing again." mentality.There was nothing for a fan to grab
hold to,and say we are heading somewhere.

The staff we have in place now,will adapt when necessary.There will be
a competent OC,DC and a supporting staff that have proven they are
more than capable of getting the job done.So for me,at 10 weeks,
if we are behind the 8 ball as far as record is concerned.I will still
be happy,because I know we are far removed from the incompetence
of the previous regime and that Our Rams are heading in the right direction.
GO RAMS!!

Same here. I think we would be setting ourselves up for disappointment if we expect to make the postseason next year or even the year after. COULD it happen? Sure. But as long as things are moving in the right direction... progress and corrections are MADE (instead of just talked about) I will be happy.
The changing of the CULTURE is/was HUGE for this team and I sure as hell hope McVay and co. build a team that plays to win and knows how to win.