Rams Players Eager For Gregg Williams Era

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and...ams-Era-/f1f1f0ea-4439-46a3-8411-fa2310587e53

Rams Players Eager for Gregg Williams Era
By StLouisRams.com

Upon receiving the news of Gregg Williams’ hiring as the Rams’ new defensive coordinator, it would be fair to say Rams players gave an enthusiastic response.

Head Coach Jeff Fisher said the positive texts came in droves from players when the move was announced, a sentiment that was supported by Rams linebacker James Laurinaitis the day of Williams’ hiring.

Laurinaitis sought out teammate Jo-Lonn Dunbar, among others, to get a greater perspective on what playing under Williams would be like. Rave reviews were universal.

“Everybody I’ve talked to, from Jo-Lonn to one of my best friends in college, Malcolm Jenkins in New Orleans, have said that by far, he’s the most fun coach they’ve played for,” Laurinaitis said.

If Williams’ history of utilizing safeties and linebackers in an aggressive defensive scheme serves as any indication of what is to come, the hiring of the veteran coach could point to an enhanced role for at least a pair of second-year Rams.

Safety T.J. McDonald gained notoriety as a hard-hitting, aggressive defender in his college days at Southern California, a skill set that blends well with Williams’ penchant for involving the secondary in the pass rush. Second-year linebacker Alec Ogletree is one of the most athletic defenders on the Rams’ roster, and turned in a first-year campaign with a team rookie-record 155 tackles. Though he was rarely used in a pass-rushing capacity in his rookie season, with just 1.5 sacks, Ogletree could figure to see that number rise in 2014.

Even with a defensive scheme that did not contain many of the characteristics that are typical of Williams’ teams, the Rams possessed one of the league’s most effective defensive fronts against the pass, racking up 53 sacks, which ranked third-most in the NFL.

“We had a lot of success when we just rushed four last year,” Laurinaitis said. “I think we have the personnel and the talent, with a kid like Alec to rush off the edge, with a loose cannon like T.J., who can blitz well, we have personnel to do it.”

While not delving greatly into what the next year may hold, Williams alluded to the coming season perhaps taking on a differing look from the Rams’ 2013 version during his first meeting with St. Louis media after accepting his new job.

“When I came here the first time, I liked the nucleus that was here, (and) as I come back the second time, I like the nucleus even better,” Williams said. “I’ve watched every single game and I’ve taken reports and listened to our reports, and those things are good to familiarize yourself with. But, as opposed to what other people do, you need to be good at what you do, and what we’re getting ready to go about doing.”

As evidenced glowing reviews from Laurinaitis and company, the Rams players are just as eager to get started with what they’re about to go about doing under Williams’ direction.

“From people that have played with him, it’s a buy-in program,” Laurinaitis said. “You’re going to see a team in training camp that is going to compete every day. Our goal will be to outwork the offense in every practice. That’s what I’m excited about. It’s going to be a good change for us.”

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
This IS exciting,,, but is it really 6 months until August/September ?

It's gonna be an agonizing wait.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
It's an exciting hire, for sure. With the peices we have we need an aggressive coach.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Screw the players. I think the fans are more excited for the Williams hire.

Seriously though I was against hiring Williams two years ago but after seeing what we had last year I am all for it. Especially after reading Bowens piece on how he coaches.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
GW is going to bring an even more intense defensive game plan to the Rams. The only thing that will hold this defense back is players who cannot handle it ... IMHO, look for them to add even more D players in this draft to complete the package for him. On offense, they will fill needs but probably not a lot of splash.

Alan

Legend
GW is going to bring an even more intense defensive game plan to the Rams. The only thing that will hold this defense back is players who cannot handle it ... IMHO, look for them to add even more D players in this draft to complete the package for him. On offense, they will fill needs but probably not a lot of splash.
I think there is a reason he won't be part of the draft decision process.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Screw the players. I think the fans are more excited for the Williams hire.

Seriously though I was against hiring Williams two years ago but after seeing what we had last year I am all for it. Especially after reading Bowens piece on how he coaches.

Was that peice posted on here? I'd sure appreciate a link. Sounds like a good read.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'm eager to see how GW calls the defense, and what changes he plans to make, personnel wise.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'm guessing that the players on D will be jacked up for every game. The more I read about Williams the more excited I am about the possibilities of having a top 5 defense.
I thought we'd have close to that last year, then all the off coverage, teams finding our weak link early and often... We'll improve this year, in every area, as long as we address the offensive line. Too many questions there, IMO.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
. But, as opposed to what other people do, you need to be good at what you do, and what we’re getting ready to go about doing.”
I'm loving this part, I enjoy defenses that dictate rather than react.
I have called Rob Ryans scheme "blitz from hell without the personell" Williams will show him what it should look like.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Not as eager as I am to watch them play under GW gonna be a helluva ride boys!

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
It's almost like Walton didn't trust the d-backs. I'm surprised Fisher went along with that for awhile.
I'm not sure that is wasn't Fish who didn't trust the DBs - we played a lot more zone and off once he took over the play calling responsibilities.
My hope is that he will keephis hands off the D now that GW is here. Jenks and Tru both seem better in press than off.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm eager to see how GW calls the defense, and what changes he plans to make, personnel wise.

It's going to be an attack the passer defense even more so than it is now. The guys up front are going to create a lot of opportunities for the linebackers (especially AO with his speed) and the secondary to get to the QB. The pass defense is going to create a lot of turnovers and three and outs.

He has to be excited about coming to STL with the guys on this defense.