Rams play it safe in free agency by re-signing their own

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams play it safe in free agency by re-signing their own
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...t-safe-in-free-agency-by-re-signing-their-own

Though it was expensive to keep Trumaine Johnson, he gives the Rams some security at cornerback.
A breakdown of the first week of free agency for the Los Angeles Rams.

Most significant signing: CB Trumaine Johnson -- The Rams simply couldn't afford to lose both of their starting cornerbacks in free agency, especially after spending the past four years developing them. They opted for Johnson in part because he's a bit younger and brings more size. It took the franchise tag and a nearly $14 million price tag to make it happen, but the Rams would have faced a major dilemma and plenty of competition had both starters hit the open market.

Most significant loss: CB Janoris Jenkins -- Yes, keeping Johnson softens the blow of losing Jenkins to the New York Giants, but that doesn't mean losing Jenkins doesn't hurt. The Rams wanted to keep both cornerbacks, but Jenkins' price soared to a place the Rams weren't willing to go. Although he has had his warts, Jenkins has been one of the defense's top playmakers for the past four years and is coming off his best season in 2015. The Rams have some depth, and if E.J. Gaines returns to full strength, they should be able to get by -- but think of how well-stocked they would have been at cornerback had they been able to keep Jenkins.

Player they should have signed: S Rodney McLeod -- Though the Rams were equipped to deal with the loss of one of their cornerbacks, the same can't be said of free safety. They signed McLeod as an undrafted free agent and molded him into a solid NFL starter at a position where those are hard to find. By the time McLeod hit the open market, his price went above what the Rams were comfortable paying. But this is one instance when the Rams should have been willing to extend themselves a bit to keep a solid player who still has upside. Instead, free safety can now be added to the list of team needs heading toward the draft.

What's next: The first wave of free agency is over and teams are now bargain-hunting for players who can help, but certainly won't transform the franchise. The Rams aren't going to find the substantial offensive help they need, but locating cheaper, short-term options for depth at all levels of the defense and at tight end would be a good place to start. It would also allow them to mostly focus their draft efforts on bolstering an offense in serious need of help.

Overall grade: C -- It's hard to blame the Rams for staying out of the fray on overpriced free agents who might have been marginal upgrades over what they have in place, at best. Keeping key pieces like Johnson, Mark Barron and William Hayes was important, but losing Jenkins and McLeod balances out those re-signings. After losing that duo, it would have made sense for the Rams to reallocate some of those funds to someone like tight end Ladarius Green, a young player with upside who didn't break the bank.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Have to agree with this. No idea why we didn't target Green. Would look nice in horns.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
We've always heard how much Stan wants to run this franchise like the Patriots. We'll he's got the free agency part down. Resign most of your guys, and let the ones go that demand too much money.

Now the next part is to always trade down. Seems like Belichick is always trading out of the first round and rolling the dice with multiple second-fourth round picks.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Ya really reasonable contract too, would have been a great add. However, if I am him i'm taking Big Ben over Wentz every day.

Fixed that for ya. And I would have to agree. But if we offered slightly more money, it would still have been worth it.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Have to agree with this. No idea why we didn't target Green. Would look nice in horns.

I will reserve judgment until the draft because if the LA Rams end up with Hunter Henry or Nick Vannett then I will be very pleased with the depth at TE for new TE Coach John Lilly.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Would have been nice to keep our secondary together they were getting better.But I'm glad that Snead didn't overpay on JJ and McLeod.Was hoping to get S.Smith to take Jenks spot but that didn't happen.We should be okay with the young Dbs we have and maybe the new guy pans out.We did get to keep keep key players like Barron and Tru so that helps the D.Looks like the draft will have to be mostly offense to try and get some playmakers there.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
I like the way the Rams are playing free agency. Salary Caps force you to play the cards your dealt. We could foolishly spend like Dolphins. But we didn't. For the most part we're signing our young core players, while leaving room to extend Aaron Donald and Alex Olgetree. In addition Snead Fish are signing key positions as to leave us room to maneuver in the draft.

Although I didn't jump and cheer when we signed Coty Sensabaugh, I realized that...
1.Coty gives depth at cornerback.
2. Allows the Rams to go towards a heavily offensive skill position draft time. ( I'm thinking QB, WR, and TE)
3. Provides Greg Williams the option of positioning Joyner at Free Safety or creating a new position for Joyner ala Tyrann Mathieu.
4. If we go defense in the draft, acquiring Coty gives us the option of going BPA, which could be a 2nd or 3rd round defensive tackle. This is a very deep Defensive Tackle draft. In much the same way the 2014 draft was thick with wide receivers.

It's been said before but I'll say it again...Consistently great teams don't belly flop with a big Dolphin splash in free agency. It's more then mere coincidence that Green Bay, Pittsburgh and New England shun free agency,, sign their own and continue to post winning records. (I realize it helps when Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, and Tom Brady are under center, helming your offense for a decade)

Besides signing your own players sends a message to the team. Even though it's cut throat business, if you work hard, keep nose clean, we will do our best treat you right and reward you. I believe that's good for the atmosphere of the locker room and breeds an "US versus Me" mentality. I could make an argument and insert ( Truman Johnson versus Janoris Jenkins) mentality.