Rams pick Oxnard for OTA's and Minicamps

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams pick Oxnard for mini training camp

By Bob Buttitta of the Ventura County Star 3:23 p.m.

http://www.vcstar.com/sports/rams-p...e9-5f4e-78e3-e053-0100007f1769-367740761.html

The Los Angeles Rams have chosen Oxnard as the training site for their upcoming Organized Team Activities and mini camp.

Oxnard Assistant City Manager Scott Whitney said Thursday the city is negotiating with the Rams and both sides hope to strike a deal soon for the team to train at the River Ridge fields starting this spring. The Rams would use the River Ridge fields and the locker room facilities located adjacent to the playing fields. Those are the same fields the Dallas Cowboys use when they train in Oxnard.

Any deal must be approved by the Oxnard City Council.

In addition to negotiating with the city for the use of the fields and locker room, the Rams must also reach an agreement with the Marriott Residence Inn, which is located next to the fields and would provide housing and meeting space for Rams personnel.

Artis Twyman, the senior director of communications for the Rams, said he's not sure when the team would arrive in California, but added the team's offseason program begins April 18.

"As far as the offseason training program goes, it involves our coaches and players, but most of the organization will be probably be moved at that time," Twyman said. "There are several phases to the offseason program, some of it will be just players and some of it will involve players and coaches."

A National Football League team's offseason organized team activities, called OTAs, are separate from training camp. They are practice sessions that concentrate on technique, basic personnel packages and repetition. A typical session starts with players meeting with position coaches or coordinators to watch tape and talk about areas to focus on when they are on the field.

Once out on the field, the session generally starts with a special teams workout. No pads are allowed except for a helmet. Most of the time is spent on technique, foot placement, use of hands and so on. It's a teaching period more than anything, as playing special teams without pads is a challenge.

That is followed by an individual period where each group spends time doing drills specific to the players' positions. From there they move on to a seven-on-seven drill where quarterbacks, running backs and receivers compete against linebackers and defensive backs.

Finally, there's a period where both the offense and defense come together for team sessions. Work is done at half-speed, with the emphasis on learning plays and understanding individual responsibilities.

Then there is post-practice, where players head to the weight room for a lifting session, work on conditioning on the field or study tape in the film room. The entire practice is under two hours.

Under normal circumstances, players commute from their homes to the team facility for these practices. Because the Rams are moving from St. Louis and most players don't have homes here yet, the Marriott would provide housing and meeting space.

It would likely be very similar to the structure used by the Dallas Cowboys when they hold training camp in Oxnard. The Cowboys use the River Ridge fields, the locker room and hotel facilities. The Cowboys bring several large trailers to the site to hold equipment and put up tents for weight room facilities and the media.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is only for OTA's and Minicamps. The Cowboys get Oxnard for training camp in late July. Unless the policy is changed, No fans will be able to see the Rams practicing in Oxnard because OTA's and Mini-Camps are closed to the public. The Rams will likely practice with the Cowboys in August in Oxnard like last year. Those practices will be open to the public. Plus wherever the Rams have their training camp, many of those will be open to the public.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Back in the 80's I knew this kid who looked exactly like me and had the exact same name. This doppelganger was employed by River Ridge as a grounds keeper during the summer because his dad was one of the guys who designed the course. Turns out the kid had the keys to the building which housed the lockers. One evening this little turd sneaks into the locker room, finds Howie Longs locker and swipes a used white practice jersey. To bad the equipment guy was still in the facility and caught him red handed. I remember, I mean this doppelganger remembers being chased by the guy out the back onto the practice field. Should have been an easy get away except the field was completely fenced in and locked. Once cornered the kid thought and rightly so that he was in huge trouble but turns out the equipment guy was really cool and thought it was funny. Lucky for Doppelganger he got to keep the jersey, took home 2 practice balls and most importantly kept his job for the rest of summer. Sadly because doppelganger was a Rams fan he didn't cherish those items and over the years and after many moves they are no longer in his possession. I know though that if I were him I would look back on that time of his life and remember that experience with a great big devilish grin. :D

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Oxnard is far from me...damnit...I need to jump in with somebody.... Hey, I'll buy the 24 pack... Where's @OcRamsFan ????? Come scoop me....

Killgasm

Starter
Name
Alex
Nooooo, should have been in Palm Springs or somewhere near the coachella valley. Oh well.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Back in the 80's I knew this kid who looked exactly like me and had the exact same name. This doppelganger was employed by River Ridge as a grounds keeper during the summer because his dad was one of the guys who designed the course. Turns out the kid had the keys to the building which housed the lockers. One evening this little turd sneaks into the locker room, finds Howie Longs locker and swipes a used white practice jersey. To bad the equipment guy was still in the facility and caught him red handed. I remember, I mean this doppelganger remembers being chased by the guy out the back onto the practice field. Should have been an easy get away except the field was completely fenced in and locked. Once cornered the kid thought and rightly so that he was in huge trouble but turns out the equipment guy was really cool and thought it was funny. Lucky for Doppelganger he got to keep the jersey, took home 2 practice balls and most importantly kept his job for the rest of summer. Sadly because doppelganger was a Rams fan he didn't cherish those items and over the years and after many moves they are no longer in his possession. I know though that if I were him I would look back on that time of his life and remember that experience with a great big devilish grin. :D
Did he go by Pancake? :D

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Oxnard works for me!! 20 minutes from my front door!!:yess:
YES! I'M BRAGGING!!:rolllaugh: