Rams owner Stan Kroenke won more than just L.A.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrankenRam

Starter
To be clear, I have never been there. So, maybe it was a wonderful stadium. But from what I had read, especially over the last year from many who had been there was that it was in a bad way. Way below standards. I'd heard a few "season ticket" holders complaining about it. But okay... I don't know, so I can let that go. I do know that arbitration said $700 million to fix it up and make it top tier was about right.

The EJD was never a stadium that would 'Wow!' anyone like JerruhWorld or what the plans for the Inglewood place might be. But it did qualify as a 'top tier' stadium when initially built and is FAR from being a 'dump' today.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Interesting dynamic happening here.

People who like Kroenke are offended by those who are calling him (figuratively) a POS.
People who dislike Kroenke are offended by those who are calling him (figuratively) a Saint.

Actually, it's not interesting at all. It's a trench war that can't be won, because there is no correct way to view the guy.
So maybe those who are now entrenched in this battle can take it easy on the collateral damage they're inflicting.
You know, because that would be cool.
latest

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Your post got me to wondering how many members at ROD visit other Rams forums where there is little to no moderation and where this topic has become a free-for-all, and then carry those bad feelings here?

It's like going to your neighbors house that's filled with monkeys throwing crap at each other 24/7. Then you come here and the stink is still on you.

Yx4qO6i.jpg
Look at PT with the elite photoshopping skizzles!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Surely you are aware that what you are describing is a two way street?

Right?
Absolutely it does! And if I see a topic that doesn't interest me or I feel I won't like the discussion I don't visit that thread. I don't go in and complain and argue with people or try to force my opinions and feelings on them. If a thread topic is casting Kroenke in a positive light and you don't like him then what's the point of going in there and arguing with people then complaining about it? Same goes for the reverse on threads talking about him negatively, if you like him don't visit those threads or if you do don't cry because people disagree with you.

There are two incredibly polarizing people in Rams history, Stan and Georgia. Nobody anywhere is going to change their opinions about them on this or any fan forum. There is no reason to make things up and lie about them because each has done enough to warrant those opinions. People still though will insert stupid comments about both in threads not devoted to the owners and it gets incredibly old. Get over it, we as fans don't need all the constant petty comments, we all need to stick to the topics at hand and realize as Rams fans we're better off without the constant bitching about the owners.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've been to 5 stadiums now in my travels over the years, and one of them was Jerruh Land. Every stadium, including the one in STL, is a dump by comparison. I hear the one in Arizona is nice, so maybe some of our AZ members can comment on that. But yeah, the one in STL was just kind of meh to me. That said, I really didn't give a crap about how it looked, because it was 2001 and the Rams were on a roll, so the place was positively electric.
The Toaster in Arizona was very nice inside and was a great game day experience. That and whatever they're calling the Seahawks stadium were both very nice.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Absolutely it does! And if I see a topic that doesn't interest me or I feel I won't like the discussion I don't visit that thread. I don't go in and complain and argue with people or try to force my opinions and feelings on them. If a thread topic is casting Kroenke in a positive light and you don't like him then what's the point of going in there and arguing with people then complaining about it? Same goes for the reverse on threads talking about him negatively, if you like him don't visit those threads or if you do don't cry because people disagree with you.

There are two incredibly polarizing people in Rams history, Stan and Georgia. Nobody anywhere is going to change their opinions about them on this or any fan forum. There is no reason to make things up and lie about them because each has done enough to warrant those opinions. People still though will insert stupid comments about both in threads not devoted to the owners and it gets incredibly old. Get over it, we as fans don't need all the constant petty comments, we all need to stick to the topics at hand and realize as Rams fans we're better off without the constant bitching about the owners.
OMG how I have seen this over the years and you are so correct. The relocation talk has been going on for about 2 yrs now and I was tired of it 6 mos. in. And now that it is DONE .... can we please just move on??? We AL understand the feelings on both sides of this ... but the move has happened and it is DONE. NO amount of bitching & moaning is going to change it. I'd like to get back to being fans of the TEAM and discussing all the great things that may come and the issues we face on getting there. All the infighting is making me puke :sick: and feeling like my head is going to explode :headexplosion: Get over it and move on! PLEASE.

FrankenRam

Starter
Your post got me to wondering how many members at ROD visit other Rams forums where there is little to no moderation and where this topic has become a free-for-all, and then carry those bad feelings here?

It's like going to your neighbors house that's filled with monkeys throwing crap at each other 24/7. Then you come here and the stink is still on you.

That's a reach. I don't carry my feelings to my sister because I get in an argument with my brother (or whatever such analogy one might want to make). That's just plain childish.

And just for the record, anyone who feels the need to trash anything on the STL side of this 'discussion' should have absolutely no qualms about calling Rams Talk a shithole....because it absolutely is. It was the first online discussion place I found for Rams specific chit-chat. So, carried some interest for a while. But it didn't take long to get pretty disenchanted with the lack of 'discussion' about....you know....football....and ever increasing level of mud-slinging. And over the last couple yr, it's been little more than an amusement to buzz through occasionally to see who was pounding their chest the hardest. It's one redeeming quality at this point is as a study in why the human race continues to need some level of 'government', or management, or whatever you choose to call it.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
T It's one redeeming quality at this point is as a study in why the human race continues to need some level of 'government', or management, or whatever you choose to call it.

The problem with governments is, almost all of them are governed by men. Put women in charge and there would be no more wars. There would just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other. :rolleyes:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
The problem with governments is, almost all of them are governed by men. Put women in charge and there would be no more wars. There would just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other. :rolleyes:

I wish I could like this post a trillion times over.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I'm sorry but that comment, and you're not the only one I see making it across many Rams forums, makes absolutely no sense. I get the salt directed to Stan and I don't blame anybody for having it. But lets analyze a few things with this statement.

He didn't receive any offer from LA. He went out and purchased land and fought for the right to build his own stadium on that land. He could have gone out and sold the Rams to many different open cities, including London, to try to get himself a "better deal". Didn't happen, he's not taking taxpayer money he's not getting any free rides. He could have chosen a path of least resistance but didn't. He bought land and fought for the right to put the Rams on it. He's putting down $2+ billion dollars for this development that includes what the other NFL owners described as a football palace and the jewel of the NFL. He, and his partners, are going to make a fortune off of it which I think we can all agree is his #1 goal in life.

He already had the opportunity to go out and find the best deal he could get for himself. And for him that's having total control over his stadium and the surrounding area(something many of us myself included stressed and were scoffed at for it). Never in the process with Inglewood did he ask for money or a sweetheart deal.

Now lets look at it from what the NFL will do if he tries to move down the road. You may remember that each team filing for relocation had to agree to several things. One they couldn't sue the NFL for the way the voting went and the decisions that were made. Secondly and most important they agreed to very heavy and strict fines and punishments for selling their team or again trying to relocate after moving to LA. There's two heavy penalties that add to the logical reasons why he won't "jump at a better deal" down the road. It just doesn't make sense when you honestly look at the situation without salt colored glasses to think he'll relocate again for a "better deal" he's got a billion dollar cash cow tied to a team returning to a city that loves it and hasn't had an NFL team in 20 years. Simple logic tells us he won't move again.

London isn't open. LA is the best option available right now. I have never heard that he agreed to not sell or relocate the team. Not that it matters, he just hit the motherload, but I'm skeptical. Regardless, agreeing that he wouldn't is not the same as not being willing.

My points are simple: This was about the money. He was deceitful the entire way. He would do to LA what he did to STL given the opportunity.

Praising him as a great owner is just sad. He got what he wanted, there is no evidence he cares about this team or its success at all. He wants them to make him more money. If he can do that with an average team, IMHO, he couldn't care less.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Whoa...whoa[av]http://www.wavsource.com/snds_2016-01-27_4376592650809248/sfx/warning_horn.wav[/av]
That may be true but women make the worst bosses. Ever. Insecure and always trying to prove something to the men who work for them...because she's a woman and they're men and she thinks they feel threatened...when in fact SHE feels threatened. Ladies...there's nothing to prove to us. We're ok with all of it...because we're men. So please relax and don't be a horrible boss. Thanks.

Ok resume thread :)

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
London isn't open. LA is the best option available right now. I have never heard that he agreed to not sell or relocate the team. Not that it matters, he just hit the motherload, but I'm skeptical. Regardless, agreeing that he wouldn't is not the same as not being willing.

London isn't open is your opinion, we don't know because it wasn't ever discussed. That's like saying San Antonio or Portland or Sacramento aren't open. We might think they aren't but us not being in the room and it not being discussed doesn't mean our opinions are fact. I doubt the NFL is ready to put a team in outside of US/Canada but that doesn't mean they won't make it happen if the right opportunity presents itself.

As for the penalty for selling or moving the team after moving to LA here's an article citing they had to agree to pay %20 of any money made from selling even a portion of the team to the NFL if they did so after moving to LA. I couldn't find the one that cited both it and relocating but thinking Kroenke will relocate again after getting everything he wanted in moving to LA doesn't make any sense anyways.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/nfl-699232-league-relocation.html

My points are simple: This was about the money. He was deceitful the entire way. He would do to LA what he did to STL given the opportunity.

Praising him as a great owner is just sad. He got what he wanted, there is no evidence he cares about this team or its success at all. He wants them to make him more money. If he can do that with an average team, IMHO, he couldn't care less.

This quote makes me wonder if you even read what you replied to as it's exactly what I said. He moved to LA and it was about money. He's going to make a metric ton of it and thinking he would relocate away from all that money just lacks any basis in reality. Here I'll quote myself:

He bought land and fought for the right to put the Rams on it. He's putting down $2+ billion dollars for this development that includes what the other NFL owners described as a football palace and the jewel of the NFL. He, and his partners, are going to make a fortune off of it which I think we can all agree is his #1 goal in life.

RamzFanz

Damnit
London isn't open is your opinion, we don't know because it wasn't ever discussed. That's like saying San Antonio or Portland or Sacramento aren't open. We might think they aren't but us not being in the room and it not being discussed doesn't mean our opinions are fact. I doubt the NFL is ready to put a team in outside of US/Canada but that doesn't mean they won't make it happen if the right opportunity presents itself.

As for the penalty for selling or moving the team after moving to LA here's an article citing they had to agree to pay %20 of any money made from selling even a portion of the team to the NFL if they did so after moving to LA. I couldn't find the one that cited both it and relocating but thinking Kroenke will relocate again after getting everything he wanted in moving to LA doesn't make any sense anyways.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/nfl-699232-league-relocation.html

This quote makes me wonder if you even read what you replied to as it's exactly what I said. He moved to LA and it was about money. He's going to make a metric ton of it and thinking he would relocate away from all that money just lacks any basis in reality. Here I'll quote myself:

I can't tell if I'm not explaining myself well enough or you are ignoring my point intentionally. I am not and have not argued there is a better deal to be had or what the details would be. IF Kroenke has a better deal down the road, I believe he will take it. He is a silent absentee owner who says one thing and does the exact opposite.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can't tell if I'm not explaining myself well enough or you are ignoring my point intentionally. I am not and have not argued there is a better deal to be had or what the details would be. IF Kroenke has a better deal down the road, I believe he will take it. He is a silent absentee owner who says one thing and does the exact opposite.
And I can't tell if you're serious or deliberately creating fantasy situations to satisfy some deep seeded desire. Stan has his better deal now. He is sinking billions into a cash cow that will make him more billions. There is no intelligent or logical discussion that can be made to argue Stan is going to relocate again after building this.

To continually make stuff up and suggest he'll move again can only be described by adjectives that will get me banned from ROD for leveling them at a fellow member so I'll leave it at this and end my part of this fantasy discussion of the Rams moving again soon after Inglewood is built.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I used to teach philosophy at the college level - and I would encourage freewheeling discussions, since the discussion and the emphasis on conflicting ideas were the best way to impart lessons that would last in my opinion. The only time I ever had to jump between two students to prevent a physical fight was two coeds in a classroom in Chalmette, Louisiana. Just saying.

FrankenRam

Starter

You're explaining yourself just fine.

It's perfectly clear the move was a pure money grab for Kroenke. By all reports, the move will at least double the value of the franchise.

And if, in 10 yr (for sake of discussion), he had an opportunity to double his money again by moving the Rams to Whereverville, USA, he wouldn't bat an eye at leaving LA. Nothing hard to understand about that.

Of course, the chances of that actually happening are exceedingly slim with the limited market sizes of other potential locations. But the point is well made and spot on.