Rams optimistic about landing Britt/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams optimistic about landing Britt
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/7102/rams-optimistic-about-landing-britt

After a quiet first two weeks of free agency, business has picked up for the St. Louis Rams this week. In a 48-hour span, the team added depth at defensive tackle and quarterback in the form of Alex Carrington and Shaun Hill.

And the Rams aren't done yet. By all accounts, they are hopeful that Tennessee receiver Kenny Britt will be next on their list of additions.

At the owners meetings in Orlando, Fla., general manager Les Snead told Pro Football Talk that he believed the Rams' chances of landing Britt were "better than 50 percent."

When asked about a possible reunion with his former Titans pupil, Rams coach Jeff Fisher echoed Snead's sentiments.

“I will stand behind what [Les] said," Fisher said. "We’ve been down here and pretty busy, but I’m hoping that sometime very soon we’ll get something done.’’

Britt has had no shortage of interest or visits during his first free-agent experience. He's already visited St. Louis and, according to NFL.com, cleared any medical issues with the Rams. He's also taken trips to New England, Washington and Buffalo and drawn at least minimal interest from Carolina. New England owner Robert Kraft indicated in Orlando that the Patriots are no longer in the Britt sweepstakes.

A decision from Britt has been expected all week and could come at any time. Britt tweeted Sunday afternoon that "the whole world wanna know where Kenny Britt going ... I'm like homie just wait on it ... Lol."

In reality, there are a few people who hold mild interest in where Britt lands, but it's safe to say the Rams fall into that category.

Fisher was Tennessee's head coach in 2009 when the Titans used a first-round pick on Britt. He coached him in 2010 before stepping away from the game the following year. Britt's two best seasons came those first two seasons under Fisher though Britt has never mustered more than 775 yards in a season. Clearly, Fisher believes there's more production that can be pulled from Britt if given a fresh start.

In the time since Fisher first coached him, Britt has had more than his share of off-field problems and struggled with knee injuries. Those issues will likely yield a one-year "prove it" contract at this point in free agency. All that remains to be seen is where he lands.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
A decision from Britt has been expected all week and could come at any time. Britt tweeted Sunday afternoon that "the whole world wanna know where Kenny Britt going ... I'm like homie just wait on it ... Lol."
Kid thinks he's LeBron James. #No one really cares Kenny.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ram Bytes: Is WR Kenny Britt worth a chance?
• Bernie Miklasz

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_3ea89367-c437-5f3f-a6fd-f51290c7f6cb.html

I'm not entirely sure what to make of the Rams' free-agent interest in former Tennessee Titans wide receiver Kenny Britt. He's had off-field difficulties. He's been slowed and pulled down by knee injuries. His rate of production has steadily decreased. His catch rate is in decline. And over the past two seasons, Britt has dropped an alarming number of passes.

On the other hand: the Rams aren't exactly lining up the 1999-form Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt, Ricky Proehl and Az Hakim at wide receiver. At one point Britt was among the league's fastest receivers, and a feared deep-ball threat. That's no longer true unless Britt is sincerely motivated and capable of reviving his career.

Let's take a look at the numbers to note Britt's decline; all of them collected from the data at Pro Football Focus ...

Britt has an overall career catch rate of 56.2 percent, which isn't great. (Catch rate is simple: how many passing attempts targeted for a specific receiver end in a completion?) But over the past two seasons, Britt has a catch rate of 47.4 … and that catch rate was 33.3 percent last season. Over the past two seasons, when Tennessee quarterbacks targeted Britt, they had an awful passer rating of 66.5.

You may be thinking: isn't a lot of that on the Titans' quarterbacks? Is it fair to blame Britt? Good question. Here's the answer: Kendall Wright. Over the past two seasons the young Tennessee wideout has a catch rate of 69 percent, and Wright's quarterbacks have a passer rating of 90.2 when they target him.

Wright doesn't seem to have an issue connecting with Titans QBs.

OK, then what about this... isn't Britt a deep-route runner? And if he's running deeper routes _ 20 yards or longer -- won't his catch rate be lower? Well, yes and no. But again, other Tennessee receivers have had more success than Britt on deeper routes the past two seasons.

For instance, WR Nate Washington has caught 16 of 43 deep passes thrown to him, 5 for touchdowns. And over the same two-year period Britt caught only 6 of 27 deep passes aimed his way, one for a touchdown.

Anyway you want to measure it, Britt has slipped as a receiver. And that includes his 14 dropped passes over the past two seasons.

I'd imagine that Britt's mindset is an important factor in his comeback. He's still young, turning 26 this fall. So I'd have to assume Britt's speed is still there.

Is Britt fully committed to maximizing his talent by working hard at conditioning and preparation? Can Britt be trusted? I don't know him. So I have no idea. But Rams coach Jeff Fisher knows Britt; he drafted and coached him at Tennessee. I suppose this depends on the price; I can't imagine the Rams would gamble substantial guaranteed money on a contract with the risky Britt. But if the price is right, Britt is worth a try. If he's hungry, the Rams could benefit.

Several NFL teams have interest in Britt, who seems to be enjoying his shopping trip for a team. At least it seemed that way on his Twitter account. "the whole world wanna know where Kenny Britt going," Britt tweeted earlier this week. "I'm like homie just wait on it ... Lol."

Earlier, before he began making free-agent visits, Britt tweeted this: "Dear Lord, I ask for wisdom as I travel to these teams in the next few days. Put me and my family in a place that's covered in your love"

Thanks for reading...

-Bernie

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
A decision from Britt has been expected all week and could come at any time. [B said:
Britt tweeted Sunday afternoon that "the whole world wanna know where Kenny Britt going ... I'm like homie just wait on it ... Lol."[/B]"Mojo Ram, post: 281847, member: 588"]Kid thinks he's LeBron James. #No one really cares Kenny.
I already was not interested now I think just hell no

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
He's not the guy we need, not the Vet presence our young WR corps need. Fisher obviously has a soft spot for the guy, but IMO I'd rather see us go for Santonio Holmes or Miles Austin than Britt, he just doesn't feel right...

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
He's not the guy we need, not the Vet presence our young WR corps need. Fisher obviously has a soft spot for the guy, but IMO I'd rather see us go for Santonio Holmes or Miles Austin than Britt, he just doesn't feel right...

good lord I wouldnt touch either one of those guys with a 10 foot pole Holmes hasnt been worth a crap since he cought that game winning TD in the superbowl and is a cancer in the locker room and I cant remember that last time Miles Austin was healthy.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
good lord I wouldnt touch either one of those guys with a 10 foot pole Holmes hasnt been worth a crap since he cought that game winning TD in the superbowl and is a cancer in the locker room and I cant remember that last time Miles Austin was healthy.

They've still been more successful than Britt in recent years...